Landcruisers

520,667 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by AgCMT
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

I would really prefer something with posts on the top and sides so I can run the winch to the side terminals. That will wind up narrowing my choices quite a bit.

Are you read in on the guy from Mud who makes the winch wiring harnesses? He's in the small business store front and I have been super happy with mine. He really makes battery cables for our rigs, and recently started doing these winch harnesses..

ETA. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1978-fj40-slow-build.1227435/page-2

In post 36 of his thread Bloomer does a much better job of showing the kit than I could. It was 'experimental' at that time. I inquired about it and Forerunner said he was comfortable enough to ship some - so I bought a set and love them.
ATL Aggie
AG
vmiaptetr said:

So yeah…it was time for a new suspension.

Looks good. Is that OME? Which springs did you choose?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
It is OME. I got the 2.5" lift, but the old ones were so done, it seems like a 5-6" lift. OME2851 in the front and OME2860 in the back.

EDIT: Basically, whatever Slee recommended on their website, that's what I got.
Streetfighter 02
AG
We upgraded battery cables and cables to the winch recently. I can just put my terminal extensions back on and handle it similarly to what he's got. I need to look at it when I get home.

I'm trying to diagnose a problem without much information other than when I start the truck the amp gauge pegs out with a large draw. As the truck runs for a minute or so it returns to the middle and stays there. If the lights are on it creates the same large draw. The battery is old so it seems the easiest to test first.
reddog90
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Streetfighter 02 said:

I would really prefer something with posts on the top and sides so I can run the winch to the side terminals. That will wind up narrowing my choices quite a bit.

Are you read in on the guy from Mud who makes the winch wiring harnesses? He's in the small business store front and I have been super happy with mine. He really makes battery cables for our rigs, and recently started doing these winch harnesses..

ETA. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1978-fj40-slow-build.1227435/page-2

In post 36 of his thread Bloomer does a much better job of showing the kit than I could. It was 'experimental' at that time. I inquired about it and Forerunner said he was comfortable enough to ship some - so I bought a set and love them.
I just put a battery cable kit from fourrunner on the 60 over the weekend. I had his kit on the 40 as well. He makes really nice cables.
Centerpole90
AG
Same. He make them the proper length for my gear driven starter. 10/10. Would buy again.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-57/

Does this belong to anyone here?
Jason C.
AG
I see lots of S Texas/San Antonio-area guys posting on this thread. Just picked up a low-miles first gen 4x4 Tundra with the 4.7 that needs to be sorted after sitting for significant periods of time. I don't have a week off to dedicate to timing belt, fluids, front end parts replacements, etc.

Can any of you guys recommend someone in our area where I could drop it off and say "here are the obvious things I need, but also do what you'd do if it were yours"? Got enough of a deal on it that dropping it off might just make sense....

LC-related because some engine overlap in the early 2000s!
Streetfighter 02
AG
I would run far away from that truck.
Naveronski
AG
Is Lago Vista too far north?
Triple C Chop Shop is a one man shop, but I've had good luck with him several times.

Edit:
There's also 4Lo Fab in New Braunfels, but he's more of a fab shop.
MTTANK
AG
Jason C. said:

I see lots of S Texas/San Antonio-area guys posting on this thread. Just picked up a low-miles first gen 4x4 Tundra with the 4.7 that needs to be sorted after sitting for significant periods of time. I don't have a week off to dedicate to timing belt, fluids, front end parts replacements, etc.

Can any of you guys recommend someone in our area where I could drop it off and say "here are the obvious things I need, but also do what you'd do if it were yours"? Got enough of a deal on it that dropping it off might just make sense....

Congrats! These are great trucks! Check out my thread and post some pictures on there. I have done quite a bit more work to it and need to update it on here.

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3264872/replies/61240828
GIG 'EM
Jason C.
AG
Naveronski said:

Is Lago Vista too far north?
Triple C Chop Shop is a one man shop, but I've had good luck with him several times.

Edit:
There's also 4Lo Fab in New Braunfels, but he's more of a fab shop.

That Triple C guy sounds great. Really appreciate it.
Jason C.
AG
MTTANK said:

Jason C. said:

Congrats! These are great trucks! Check out my thread and post some pictures on there. I have done quite a bit more work to it and need to update it on here.

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/3264872/replies/61240828

Sir you are living my dream!
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Because of the Columbia residue left behind? I didn't really read the full description. Also, just not familiar with that model LC.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Yes mostly because it looks like it just got driven off the boat. Lots of wonky S H I T on that truck that could lead to complex issue later. Look at the dash. There appears to be a missile launch switch. I also noticed the radiator looks like it's been repaired and repainted. Power steering and A/C would be nice to have but I would want as much detail on those additions as I could get. The fresh paint covering almost everything screams "I'm hiding some serious rust!" It also appears to have some weird thick body mounts to provide lift. This is most noticeable on close up photos showing the rear cross member. There's a 2-3" gap between body and cross member that shouldn't be there. The mix of weird chrome bits also bothers me. The antenna on the drivers side windshield is a first for me.
MTTANK
AG
Haha! I remember knowing little about those cruisers and having you look at one. It was equally of not more brutal!! Good to have somebody with some knowledge on these
GIG 'EM
Streetfighter 02
AG
I'm a bit of a pessimist so I can be harsh. There is a price where any cruiser can be a good buy. That's obviously different for each truck but slapping it on BaT is an attempt to fleece the buyer in this case.
lp01
AG
Here is who I sent mine to more than a handful of times when I still had my 100 series. He always did right by me, and even saved me money on a couple of occasions. They are out off of Randolph on the NE side.

Rick Cowherd @ Alamo Auto Doctors. 210-657-0911

reddog90
AG
Jason C. said:

I know a cruiserhead here in houston area and one in the hill country that could probably handle that. Both will travel to get your truck if needed.
cruiserag2020
I take mine to Bearden Automotive in NW Austin and have nothing but good experiences
Streetfighter 02
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Single game tickets are on sale now per 12th Man.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I want this

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZRBP1bk/1995-toyota-bandeirante-oj55?utm_source=pd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e
Jason C.
AG
reddog90 said:

Jason C. said:

I know a cruiserhead here in houston area and one in the hill country that could probably handle that. Both will travel to get your truck if needed.

Do you have the Hill Country-area guy's details?
MyNameIsJeff
AG
https://www.koamnewsnow.com/news/national-news/tx-grandmother-rides-out-tornado-in-suv/video_275f9a57-907c-559d-9df6-6d15b40e71e4.html

Saw this on the OB. 100 series FTW.
reddog90
AG
CenTXFJ60 on mud. Tell him Jack sent you. I don't pay for TA so I can't PM you his number.
Jason C.
AG
reddog90 said:

CenTXFJ60 on mud. Tell him Jack sent you. I don't pay for TA so I can't PM you his number.

Me either! Lolpoors unite. I sent him the mud equivalent of a PM, thanks for the rec!!
Jason C.
AG
Met JJ today. We need to organize a meet up at this dude's house. LC heaven. Jack, I owe you a six pack.
reddog90
AG
Jason C. said:

Met JJ today. We need to organize a meet up at this dude's house. LC heaven. Jack, I owe you a six pack.
He's a great guy. We got to know each other at SAS and have stayed in touch. He's got a great shop and assortment of trucks and knows a thing or two about 12HTs

Centerpole90
AG
Those aren't the pictures we want to see….
reddog90
AG
I'm not as eloquent as you, but....
Weather was terrible when we arrived Wednesday evening but cleared into superb camping weather by lunch the next day. The rain on our first night gave us a unique experience in the park and we saw two trickling waterfalls which are probably dry most of the year. We drove many miles of dirt, saw some familiar remote places and some new ones. Overall it was a great desert camping trip.

Centerpole90
AG
Love all this BIGLY! Great pics!
Streetfighter 02
AG
What was in the kegs? Awesome photos with the ice!
tlepoC
AG
Which campsites?! I'm trying to plan another trip
reddog90
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

What was in the kegs? Awesome photos with the ice!
Water. My buddy built a fitting with a schrader valve so he could pressurize them with his OBA and have running water. Also built a heat exchanger under the hood to have hot water for dishes or shower. It needs some refinement but it's pretty cool.
reddog90
AG
FYI the scratched up tree is a madrone tree on Pine Canyon trail. These trees only grow in certain spots in the park. They fruit in the winter and the bears climb them to feed. We just missed this activity as there were lots of fresh scratches and broken off branches laying around the trees on this trail.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.