Landcruisers

507,308 Views | 3457 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by reddog90
wilhunting
How long do you want to ignore this user?
drumboy
AG
Yep
reddog90
AG
I remember some poo pooing on 60s earlier in thread. I tend to disagree.

https://instagr.am/p/BmjMJYeHXCZ
https://instagr.am/p/Bmix8zXnzAj
https://instagr.am/p/Bj_YOkZnKzD
https://instagr.am/p/Bli0v4NnL4M

Centerpole90
AG
When it comes to affordability - which series is the best value today?

I certainly don't think it's the 40. I think 40 prices are very high for the daily utility MOST people will get out of it. I base that on its age, ride, size, and speed. It has its place in the lineup for sure and I think it's top of the heap for nostalgia... but not the best VALUE in the current market.

So, if daily driver potential, the utility as a 3rd vehicle or road trip vehicle, durability, and other factors are considered VS the price in today's market.... What is the best value series out there?

I'll kick it off. I think if decent 80's can be had for less than $10k - that would be hard to pass up. I've only owned one series and love it - so I'm not shopping - but for the sake of conversation; am I wrong?
drumboy
AG
There was a nice maybe 04ish LC for sale on here about a year or so back for $9 or $10K in Midland. I wish I would have bought it.
YouBet
AG

Thought I would share. Seen in Iceland last week. My favorite of the monster trucks I witnessed there. This one was the most "normal" one I saw.
Jrod05
AG
Well my power steering pump fiasco is solved. I have officially sworn off parts stores- I hate there are no knowledgeable people behind any of the counters. They know nothing about cars. And if you ask them to look up multiple vehicles with the same motor they act like you're the idiot. sorry end of rant.

Had a Saginaw pump fail, no part number it was so beat up- bought one for a 82 k20 everything was the same except the fitting on the back needed a different flare, no one sold fittings went to a hydraulic hose store they got it taken care of for 2.00 putting it on and then taking it back to the transmission store for a speedy sleeve since my output shaft has a groove and is leaking gear oil. Then a quick DIY paint job and I am good to go.

CP- im taking it down to your neck of the woods in a few weeks.

In case anyone is thinking of doing a 350 conversion. DON'T. It has so much torque in first it isn't funny. I can see myself in a few years swapping the 3 speed for a 4 speed. unless I find an F engine for stupid cheap.
Centerpole90
AG
Sounds like we need to have 40 meet up for lunch when you're down.

I haven't hit the google machine on this but I'm curious. These 6s are darn near exactly like chevy stovebolt engines. I've often wondered if a Chevy 250 or even 292 would fit. They're damn near identical to my 2F. I happen to know of a guy who just yanked a running 250 out of a 1968 C10 and it's sitting on a pallet taking up space.
Jrod05
AG
My 59 Napco apache had a 235 blue flame. it was awesome. I think the problem is the conversion piece to transmission. I am going to keep it like this until I break something, then hell maybe its the cummins swap

and yes on the 40 meetup
Centerpole90
AG
Jrod05 said:

My 59 Napco apache

This is all I see.
Jrod05
AG
It is the one car I wish I still had- I bought it all orginal in 2010 for about 4800 Nevada car fleetside had it in my uncles shop since I didn't have the room I have now, then my first son was born and I started my business the same year decided it was better to fund my business versus a 10k paint job. Jesse James even looked at it and thought I should have kept it. Figured id be able to find another but still haven't. I have pictures somewhere I will dig it up. Sold it for almost triple and all I did was rebuild the generator and removed some parts that someone put on so it was back stock. Dammnnnit im still pissed I sold it.
reddog90
AG
So CP what have you done to your 40 lately?

This thread needs some new/more pictures from TLC owners.
Centerpole90
AG
I drove it!!

Methinks this thread will be taking off soon.
CircleO
AG

FJ40 in Action in New Mexico this past weekend.
End Of Message
Centerpole90
AG
So much win.
Centerpole90
AG
I am so happy that I am not looking for a project... because if I was, I'd sure like to look at the underside of this 40 - you can sure fix a lot of stuff with only $4,500 in it. 1970 Spring Green. Such a cool color!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1970-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40.1078437/

CircleO
AG
Love that color. I am sure you wouldn't like what you saw underneath. Life as a snow plow is a hard one.
Centerpole90
AG
You're exactly right. It's like living on the beach!
AG
100k air filter change interval?
OlArmy01
AG
Hey CP, send me a message when you get a chance. I have a few questions about buying a 40
Centerpole90
AG
I will be more than happy to oblige your request, but trust me... I am no expert - and certainly not as knowledgeable as several on this thread. That said.... I am more than down to encourage you to spend yo money so we can have more at the 2019 Texags Auto Board Land Cruiser Meetup to be held at an Aggie baseball game next spring - organized by NOT ME (it just sounds like a really cool idea).

to that end....

reddog90
AG
I am so in for that.
Jrod05
AG
I'm in for a meetup just not gonna organize hahah

I would have to trailer mine or leave the night before hahah.

Olarmy post up questions

I'll post pictures this weekend- going to take it for a spin for the power steering done finally. Need to drop at the ****** shop to have it reworked it leaks like A sieve
OlArmy01
AG
Hopefully I'll have a cruiser before the Spring. Anything I get I'll meet up with my sons and some Aggie bubbles.
Centerpole90
AG
I've been pondering power steering. I see your steering box is out in front. Is that a 60 steering box? I see some conversion kits that use what they refer to as the 'mini truck' steering and the box is in the original location. Trying to study all the options.

I went to tighten my box up with the adjustment screw but I can't get in there because of the headers; it's reallllyyy tight behind the box. I read on mud that was the 'go to' fix, but in my experience with tightening up the steering on old tractors and chevy trucks is that when you set the steering for the middle of a worn steering gear (where most of the wear is) it can get really tight and sticky at the ends of travel (where there is less wear). I'm going to find a way to give it shot and if it's not to my liking I will swap for rebuilt (old school) or explore power steering.
Jrod05
AG
To be honest I have no idea if it is a 60. It is a Saginaw this donkey is very Frankensteined I'm about to put fluid in and take it for a spin and hopefully the gas station. My next post maybe waiting on a wrecker....
Centerpole90
AG
Hmmm...

No report back on LC performance. Can somebody closer go give Jrod a tow?
Streetfighter 02
AG
Electric Power Steering

This gets pretty good reviews. Seems like more of a power assist but is less problematic than the Saginaw.
ILikeTacos
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

Electric Power Steering

This gets pretty good reviews. Seems like more of a power assist but is less problematic than the Saginaw.
Jeez where was this when we were trying to figure out power steering on my Dad's RHD 40... this would have been super helpful!
Streetfighter 02
AG
Anyone built a top removal rig using one of the harbor freight electric winches or hoists? I'm thinking of rigging something up so it can be done with a single person.
Centerpole90
AG
No, although I can see where it would be very nice to have. I took our top off with 3 dudes and put it back on with 4 - with the spare in place it is much easier done with 4. My truck was already scuffed up where the PO tried it with 2... so there is a real advantage to those contraptions.

Thanks for the tip on steering. I had seen that once and about panicked on the price - but I have nothing to compare it to; that may BE the cheapest route. The only thing is I'd retain my existing steering box... I think I'll investigate what at rebuilt box is first. I don't really feel like I need power steering as much as I need TIGHT steering.

To that end... what size tires are you running? Are those 10.5 or 12? Same question to you ILikeTacos on your dad's rig. I really like the 33x10.5 (currently on 31x10.5), I wonder how more steering force the larger tires take at low speed - if they're not wider, maybe not much.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I'm running 33" x 10.5" BFG MT KO2. I think that's all the letters. They're mounted to stock 15" x 5.5" wheels. Discount tire won't mount those tires to the narrow wheel.
Jrod05
AG
I didn't even make it out of the driveway because I spewed fluid from a burr in one of the flares got that replaced just ran it and it's good to go. FYI power steering fluid and oil on the driveway and garage make for an incredibly happy spouse.
reddog90
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

Anyone built a top removal rig using one of the harbor freight electric winches or hoists? I'm thinking of rigging something up so it can be done with a single person.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-hardtop-lift-storage-system.750562/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.