Landcruisers

515,793 Views | 3484 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Naveronski
ILikeTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
reddog90 said:

Streetfighter 02 said:

Anyone built a top removal rig using one of the harbor freight electric winches or hoists? I'm thinking of rigging something up so it can be done with a single person.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-hardtop-lift-storage-system.750562/
I use the same lift system for my Jeep JL Hardtop

reddog90
AG
Is that a 10' ceiling?

Too bad I live in an old house with 8' ceilings. I just don't think I could ever use a system like this in my garage. It looks like the perfect solution though.
ILikeTacos
AG
reddog90 said:

Is that a 10' ceiling?

Too bad I live in an old house with 8' ceilings. I just don't think I could ever use a system like this in my garage. It looks like the perfect solution though.
I haven't measured it but I would guess 10'. I just moved in about 2 months ago.
reddog90
AG
How about some recent pics of that purdy 40 of yours.
reddog90
AG
aggiepaintrain
AG
https://m.imgur.com/Ft7KjgM
HBCanine08
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

https://m.imgur.com/Ft7KjgM
aggiepaintrain
AG
I can't figure out how to post pics, that's my 97 with 115k miles
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
^^^^ for aggiepaintrain.
reddog90
AG
You live in Houston? I see an antique sage 40th 80 pretty regularly in the Spring Branch area. I don't remember if it has a bumper or not.
aggiepaintrain
AG
College Station
Centerpole90
AG
someone is makin' moves....

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
reddog90 said:

How about some recent pics of that purdy 40 of yours.
I need to get it out of storage.

I have a GR Starter to install and new battery cables.

reddog90
AG

Big shout out to CP. He's been my sounding board for the past few months of shopping and I would have bought several pieces of **** without his guidance.
reddog90
AG
The truck was restored by Wimberley 4x4 around 2009. It was one of the last trucks out of that shop before Daniel's brother passed away and he later sold the business to Proffitt's. It was daily driven for a while right after that, but saw less and less use as the years went on. The owner had the vehicle way overpriced online with bad pictures and a poor description so I knew he wasn't getting traction. I shopped it anyways and it turns out he is starting a business and needed cash. I learned the history on it and had another cruiser guru friend look it over and drive it with me. Then we negotiated way down to a realistic number and closed the deal. The body is solid, paint is great except for the hood and passenger fender, and it is mechanically sound. But there is still a long list of small fixes to keep me busy and there is plenty of room to make it my own. I didn't grow up working on vehicles and my cruiser friends tell me 40s make a hero mechanic out of anyone. I feel like this was a better route for me to go than a truck half the price that needed four times the work. I've had it less than a day and can't stop driving it. I'll do a thorough cleaning and detail soon and post up better pictures.
Centerpole90
AG
The only thing I saved you from was that one polished turd in El Paso. It has been a pleasure to follow along with you while you very judiciously sorted through A LOT of Land Cruisers. I always said you had good judgement and when you found the right one at the intersection of your expectations and budget it would be THE ONE. I was right; congratulations.

That said.... #twinning is #winning Green40's FTW.
Salt of the water
AG
MTTANK
AG
That's a clean cruiser paintrain! What's the story behind it?
GIG 'EM
aggiepaintrain
AG
Thanks

Originally a Houston rig, then went to VA for a couple years where the owner put on a 2.5" OME lift, BFG KO2's,removed the luggage rack, added blue fan clutch, new sunroof, new plugs, fluids, stainless steel brake lines, and some other stuff.
Then I bought it from him off Mud
shipped it here, complete paint job, removed rear spoiler, rebuilt steering gear box (drives like a new one did in 97) new Katzkin leather for all 3 rows, new AC compressor & drier, ARB non winch bumper, new steering wheel, and a lot of other minor electicial tweeks.
Runs 85mph no problem.
Still need to add new head unit with back up camera and speakers.
Waltonloads08
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Thanks

Originally a Houston rig, then went to VA for a couple years where the owner put on a 2.5" OME lift, BFG KO2's,removed the luggage rack, added blue fan clutch, new sunroof, new plugs, fluids, stainless steel brake lines, and some other stuff.
Then I bought it from him off Mud
shipped it here, complete paint job, removed rear spoiler, rebuilt steering gear box (drives like a new one did in 97) new Katzkin leather for all 3 rows, new AC compressor & drier, ARB non winch bumper, new steering wheel, and a lot of other minor electicial tweeks.
Runs 85mph no problem.
Still need to add new head unit with back up camera and speakers.

More pics of interior

Cost for new paint?
OlArmy01
AG
Polished turd in El Paso? I'm interested

What about the USPS truck in NM?

Looks great RedDog. I'll post mine when I pick it up later in the month.

CP said he would organize an FJ meet up in CS for an Aggie baseball game. You in?
aggiepaintrain
AG
paint was a lot, not a concourse job but not a Maaco one either. If you ever have to repaint one $4-7k.

https://m.imgur.com/a/IH0EAfj

https://m.imgur.com/a/UWMpTzC
Centerpole90
AG
My daughter bought a late model 4Runner but lacks leather. Someone told me I should look into these. I plead ignorance, these are quality to hold up for the life of the vehicle? Do they go on over the factory seats or do you have an upholsterer replace the original seat cover?

Quote:

https://m.imgur.com/a/IH0EAfj

https://m.imgur.com/a/UWMpTzC

aggiepaintrain
AG
these replace existing seat covers even if cloth, an upholstery shop should install them for best results. I'm not tough on my seats and I see no reason they would not hold up well. If your daughters 4runners seats are flattened out also spring for new foam.
Centerpole90
AG
They're next to new. That's why I asked about the longevity. She's not pushing, I should probably wait until they get some use/wear on them... then replace closer to the time I buy it from her!
HBCanine08
AG
https://seconddaily.com/1982-toyota-land-cruiser-fj43-one-owner-since-new/
reddog90
AG
moar

Centerpole90
AG
Hellz to the yeah.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I've been told these drive a lot like a buck board wagon and the steering is so loose that you might as well not have a steering wheel.
Centerpole90
AG
That's b*llsh*t.

Buckboard is a hella smoother ride.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Beautiful.

I meant your dogs, but I love your Landcruiser too. I just have a big soft spot for Golden Retrievers.
reddog90
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

I've been told these drive a lot like a buck board wagon and the steering is so loose that you might as well not have a steering wheel.
My DD is a '16 KR F150 FX4. This is exactly what I wanted.
reddog90
AG
Thanks, they are wonderful gun dogs and companions!
easttexasaggie04
AG
I usually enjoy his videos...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.