Landcruisers

521,996 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by AgCMT
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When your kids go off to school it's interesting the things that make them think of you...

When they need $
When they feel homesick
When they see a...

TAMU77CLAY
AG
The last 20 pages of this has been greatly appreciated and informative to a newbie and mechanically challenged me. Drinking the Koolaide a bit now and if anyone knows of a cruiser that would meet the expectations of this thread and knowledgeable contributors, please advise. I am in DFW area and look at both Craigslist and Ebay everyday but haven't seen much value. Understand you get what you pay for, I just don't want to buy complete "dog" as I cannot work on it. Thank you all for this thread and any help you can give me.
Centerpole90
AG
alright alright alright.

Let's spend Clay's $$$ everrybody!
aggiepaintrain
AG
what model Clay?
reddog90
AG
[url=https://imgflip.com/i/2o1uy9][/url][url=https://imgflip.com/i/2o22vs][/url]

I already bought one LC. Why is this happening to me.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Think I want fj 40 but diesel version is intriguing as don't see too many. Is it blasphemy to consider a chevy v8 with auto transmission? I'm 64 years old and will drive it around the country roads with my wife and Boston terrier.
Streetfighter 02
AG
The diesel will be harder to find parts for to some extent. It was never imported to the US so anything you see will have been made for a foreign market. That means it will have foreign repairs some of which may be better than US repairs and some of which will definitely be worse. Avoid all trucks from Costa Rica. They're almost all rust buckets.
reddog90
AG
Nothing wrong with a BJ but you'll probably have to sort through tropical market half ass restos to find a good one. Also nothing wrong with a V8, but they can be full of gremlins depending on who did the conversion.
Greener Acres
AG
TAMU77CLAY said:

The last 20 pages of this has been greatly appreciated and informative to a newbie and mechanically challenged me. Drinking the Koolaide a bit now and if anyone knows of a cruiser that would meet the expectations of this thread and knowledgeable contributors, please advise. I am in DFW area and look at both Craigslist and Ebay everyday but haven't seen much value. Understand you get what you pay for, I just don't want to buy complete "dog" as I cannot work on it. Thank you all for this thread and any help you can give me.

Same here. After a year or so of searching, I realized I am not that man for this type of work. Ended up getting an older GX 470. Its a "Landcruiser", right?
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Greener Acres said:

TAMU77CLAY said:

Same here. After a year or so of searching, I realized I am not that man for this type of work. Ended up getting an older GX 470. Its a "Landcruiser", right?

Glad i'm not the only one here that don't know much.
longeryak
TAMU77CLAY said:

What is your budget? You could have this shipped to you. This one has been sitting on the local big boys toy store's show floor for nearly a year now. I'd take out the lift personally as looking at the pix I don't get how 8 bolts are doing most of the work.

https://www.usedcarspowelloh.com/1978_Toyota_Land%20Cruiser_Powell_OH_272169941.veh

TAMU77CLAY
AG
longeryak said:

TAMU77CLAY said:

What is your budget? You could have this shipped to you. This one has been sitting on the local big boys toy store's show floor for nearly a year now. I'd take out the lift personally as looking at the pix I don't get how 8 bolts are doing most of the work.

https://www.usedcarspowelloh.com/1978_Toyota_Land%20Cruiser_Powell_OH_272169941.veh

That is a nice looking cruiser. Looks like price is in the upper end and either it's a bit high or the market is soft if has been for sale over a year.
Streetfighter 02
AG
TAMU77CLAY said:

longeryak said:

TAMU77CLAY said:

That is a nice looking cruiser. Looks like price is in the upper end and either it's a bit high or the market is soft if has been for sale over a year.
It might sell if it was priced $10,000 less. Ad lists it as a '78 but no fuel door says something is up. Aftermarket tub or the tub is from early 70's. Fold down tailgate is not original. Looks like Aqualu tailgate so maybe 3/4 aluminum tub. Diamond plate running boards are aftermarket. The bezel is upside down. Clean looking paint outside with obvious rust coming through rhino lined interior. Aftermarket seats. No hardtop or doors. At that price i'd expect them to be available. The kick vent gasket is glued to the side skirt rather than the kick vent. WTF.

For a correct truck the market is still pretty strong. If a truck is junk then it will only command a junk price.
Streetfighter 02
AG
https://bringatrailer.com/toyota/fj40/

Decent research as it shows all the prices for sold vehicles over the last three years.
Centerpole90
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

Xxxxxx xx xxxxxxx xxx xxxx xxxx x xxx xx x. x x x x xx xxxx xxx x xx xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx x, Xxxx xxx xxx x xxx xxx xxxx xxx xxx xxx! Xxxx x xxxx x xxx xxx? The bezel is upside down. Xxxxx xxxx x x xx xxxx xxx x xxxxxxx. Xxxxx xx xxxx xxx x x xxxx x xxxxxxxx x xxxxx. X xxxx xx xxx x xxxxx xx xx xxx.
Discerning 40 guy is discerning.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Streetfighter 02 said:

Xxxxxx xx xxxxxxx xxx xxxx xxxx x xxx xx x. x x x x xx xxxx xxx x xx xxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx x, Xxxx xxx xxx x xxx xxx xxxx xxx xxx xxx! Xxxx x xxxx x xxx xxx? The bezel is upside down. Xxxxx xxxx x x xx xxxx xxx x xxxxxxx. Xxxxx xx xxxx xxx x x xxxx x xxxxxxxx x xxxxx. X xxxx xx xxx x xxxxx xx xx xxx.
Discerning 40 guy is discerning.
It's also upside down in the picture your kiddo sent. (I know it's not that important but it does show attention to detail or lack thereof.)
longeryak
Streetfighter 02 said:

TAMU77CLAY said:

longeryak said:

TAMU77CLAY said:

It might sell if it was priced $10,000 less. Ad lists it as a '78 but no fuel door says something is up. Aftermarket tub or the tub is from early 70's. Fold down tailgate is not original. Looks like Aqualu tailgate so maybe 3/4 aluminum tub. Diamond plate running boards are aftermarket. The bezel is upside down. Clean looking paint outside with obvious rust coming through rhino lined interior. Aftermarket seats. No hardtop or doors. At that price i'd expect them to be available. The kick vent gasket is glued to the side skirt rather than the kick vent. WTF.

For a correct truck the market is still pretty strong. If a truck is junk then it will only command a junk price.
That would explain it sitting for a year.
Salt of the water
AG
WildcatAg
AG
I know it doesn't count as a real Land Cruiser but we just picked up a (slightly) used 2018 LX 460 for my wife and while I find it ugly I really, really like driving the truck. She is coming from a 2005 Expedition so the "old" tech in the GX is new to her.
KY AG
AG
Dude, congrats! Land Cruiser Prado is still a Land Cruiser!
Centerpole90
AG
Rule 1!
WildcatAg
AG
KY AG said:

Dude, congrats! Land Cruiser Prado is still a Land Cruiser!

Thanks!
WildcatAg
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Rule 1!

Since photbucket went all stupid I don't have a hosting site.......for pictures of the truck.
reddog90
AG
Imgur
Greener Acres
AG
I always heard the GX (460 and 470) was the Landcruiser Prado and the LX (470 and 570) was the American Landcruiser. Is this correct?
Oautlawag2005
Oautlawag2005
AG
Greener Acres said:

I always heard the GX (460 and 470) was the Landcruiser Prado and the LX (470 and 570) was the American Landcruiser. Is this correct?

Just got my wife the 2001 LX470 and she loves it. Also for any parts just order the land cruiser equivalent as it is the same truck. Runs great and these things are bulletproof for 500k
KY AG
AG
Yes/no.

GX is more or less the Land Cruiser Prado with more bling, although certain countries get a 3-door version of the Prado. Most Prados are somewhere between a GX and a Toyota 4Runner in terms of features.

LX is a blinged out Land Cruiser and is unique to Los Estados Unidos and Japan - I don't think they sell the LX anywhere else. The American Land Cruiser (like my 200) is usually higher on the food chain than what's sold in the rest of the world, as the rest of the world gets a V6 gasser or diesel.

There are also other various Land Cruisers sold throughout the world (namely, the 70 series) that we can't get here, which is a shame. I will own a Troopy 70 one day.
KY AG
AG
oats005 said:

Greener Acres said:

Just got my wife the 2001 LX470 and she loves it. Also for any parts just order the land cruiser equivalent as it is the same truck. Runs great and these things are bulletproof for 500k

Just wait till you to change the timing belt, homey!

https://texags.com/forums/46/topics/2770709
Centerpole90
AG
So I was poking on CL and I saw this 40 in Victoria and it caught my eye because it is one of the badass 40 colors out there and I noticed something interesting...

https://victoriatx.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-toyota-land-cruiser/6757477550.html

Correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't that a Chevy 6? I believe that's a 250 or similar based on manifold design and valve cover. It doesn't look like a 1F - and the red paint certainly doesn't disguise it well.

reddog90
AG
CP why you cruising CL for 40s. You need to finish that little red truck and work on your own 40.
Centerpole90
AG
I know, but this engine swap thing is pretty addictive. I was looking for suitable LS or 5.9 Cummins candidates when I stopped on it bc of the color. It's a sickness.
stevopike
AG
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-lexus-recalls-tacoma-land-cruiser-lx570/

FYI for the 200 series owners
K Bo
AG

@ HEB San Felipe Houston
Centerpole90
AG
I don't know who's jacked up on their mirror orientation, but one of us, me or that dude, is doing it wrong.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.