Landcruisers

507,225 Views | 3457 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by reddog90
Dynamite08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know Mike Frisbee pretty well. Seen several of his builds including the one on YouTube (not sure how to link) of a gorgeous 2018 LC. The owner of it let me take a look before we bought our '18 to see what was possible. Integrated the backup camera and sensors custom into the rear bumper along with several amazing details. They will be building mine eventually and do great work. They have a heck of a following and build true overlander rigs.
meggy09
AG
Ended up not using them and can't recommend them either after my convo with their shop. They were very friendly. Talked to a lady, then a tech, not the owner, about what I wanted. They basically said they didn't give a damn what work I wanted done and they were going to fix everything that needed it if I brought my LX to them. Said if I brought it to them for the timing belt service it would be a minimum 3,000 to 3,300. Completely ridiculous, but if that's how they do business and they stay busy more power to them. Had a small time mechanic my uncle knows do it for $1,000 flat.
sodycracker
AG
I am looking at a 2003 LX 470 with 225,000 miles. We are at $10,000. It's clean with new tires, timing belt, & water pump. I am betting that the 4.7 engine will hold out for another 100,000 miles. Is that a good bet?
drumboy
AG
Whoops
Centerpole90
AG
If you put a Beto sticker on your vehicle will he stop texting you?
FC12
Looks like it's leaning/squatting hard to the left....must be BETO effect...
Ham Slice MRE
AG
I am looking at a 2014 LC with about 50k miles. Anything in particular I should look out for? Also since it is in Houston and I am in Huntsville, does anyone know of a good place to get a PPI done?
TxAg20
AG
Look for rust underneath. If you plan to modify suspension, see if the KDSS valve bypass bolts are frozen as it's a common problem and will be expensive to fix. Look behind the glove box and see if the cabin air filter housing is broken. If the AC is not in recirc mode when the filter is changed, it typically breaks the housing. Those are the only common issues I can think of.

The fuel economy sucks and the gas tank is relatively small (25 gallons). That's probably the biggest complaint from 200 series owners.
meggy09
AG
Ham Slice MRE said:

I am looking at a 2014 LC with about 50k miles. Anything in particular I should look out for? Also since it is in Houston and I am in Huntsville, does anyone know of a good place to get a PPI done?

The 200s have an issue with cracking radiators. Google it. There are MUD threads with pictures showing where and what to look for. Don't know if it was limited to pre-13' or not.
Ham Slice MRE
AG
Thanks for the advice. The hunt continues after the inspection i had set up went very very poorly.
Complete Idiot
Hard to see how a 2014 LC with 50k miles would have enough issues to make inspection go very poorly. Wreck damage? Interior destroyed?
Centerpole90
AG
So I made a Land Cruiser maneuver the other day.

Back in January this 2F engine popped up on CL. It was from a '78 FJ40 and although it appears to be in good condition - the block has been let freeze and is cracked. My 40 has some tube headers, an Offenhauser 4bbl intake manifold, a ginormous Holley 4 bbl with unlimited CFMs, a throttle cable (wrong), and a Micky Mouse air cleaner. This bargain basement CL find, however, has cherry factory manifolds, a suitable carb for rebuilding, all the correct throttle linkage, (not pictured) the factory '78 air cleaner, all the stuff in one spot! In addition to all that - there's good motor mounts, bell housing, starter, pulleys, brackets, distributor... just a lot of good 2F parts to have. Since I could buy the whole thing for less than I had been finding combinations of intake and exhaust manifolds for - I did the deal. When I get the chance I want to check the head - that would be a YUGE bonus if the head isn't cracked - but even if it's brokern' the Ten Commandments I'm still waaaaay ahead.

This will let me put my 40 back to all original under the hood in one swoop.

Problem was, it was 600 miles away - so I hired a hotshot service to haul it to one of my C-10 buddies' shop outside Fort Worth who very kindly let it set at his place until Easter when I was in the area to pick it up.

Once the deal was done the fellow I had been dealing with (the employee of an FJ40 enthusiast) invited me to come by their shop and meet his boss and their friends. He sent me his boss's IG account - small world, I'd been studying his boss's 40s for a long time on IG - come to find out this engine was the original out of one of his trucks. I think I'll take him up on that offer next time I'm in Dallas.

https://instagr.am/p/BllciRZnQIT

Ham Slice MRE
AG
Jrod05
AG
Awesome. Man that's gonna be amazing and make me want to do the sameee
reddog90
AG
CP have you started tearing it down now that you have it home?

Glad to see this thread hasn't died. Here are some updates since I last shared:

New shoes, wheel cylinders, and drums. Yes, I know the exhaust hanger is broken.

New City Racer booster and Aisin MC:

I had to order a few new brake lines from Rainman as I was tearing things down. I just got the last one in the mail. Next is bleeding everything with my new vacuum bleeder and figuring out how to adjust the wheel cylinders. Hopefully I'll have great brakes that I can trust anywhere after this.

OME heavy kit ordered. Front springs are stuck in customs with no ETA right now. I will sell my wagons, paint some steelies gray and wrap them in new 33/10.5/15s. Probably the new Maxxis Razr MTs. KM3s are very undersized.
Centerpole90
AG
No I haven't touched it yet - I'm going to get my shop floor poured before I disassemble anything. That and I'm waiting for you to pioneer everything so I can just work from your spreadsheets!!!! (Awesome progress you're making)

All kidding aside I'll reach out soon and get the 'go to' carb rebuild guy and get this Aisin in the que somewhere.
reddog90
AG
New bumper from 4Plus for an old 8274 im picking up soon. Scuffed with 320, primed with DAP1690, painted with SS100. Exact match to OEM pewter. Will add a clear coat this weekend.

My OEM bumper is for sale if anyone with a 40 is interested.
80sGeorge
AG
reddog90 said:

CP have you started tearing it down now that you have it home?

Glad to see this thread hasn't died. Here are some updates since I last shared:

New shoes, wheel cylinders, and drums. Yes, I know the exhaust hanger is broken.

New City Racer booster and Aisin MC:

I had to order a few new brake lines from Rainman as I was tearing things down. I just got the last one in the mail. Next is bleeding everything with my new vacuum bleeder and figuring out how to adjust the wheel cylinders. Hopefully I'll have great brakes that I can trust anywhere after this.

OME heavy kit ordered. Front springs are stuck in customs with no ETA right now. I will sell my wagons, paint some steelies gray and wrap them in new 33/10.5/15s. Probably the new Maxxis Razr MTs. KM3s are very undersized.

Pic of reservoirs on the master cylinder takes me back in high school that's where I'd store a spare key just in case!
AggieGunslinger
AG
If anyone is looking to replace the leather on their front passenger seat I have two full sets of covers in tan. I know they fit a 2000 lx470, and to be clear these are front passenger seat only.

These are from Lseats.com. $125 each, shipped.
Hincemm
AG
thinking about diving into the landcruiser world...thoughts on this ride?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d299&zip=76092#listing=238312347
reddog90
AG
Kinda high mileage for age. Decide if you want the upgrades that came in 2016.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Mostly lurk and don't know how to post link but am in the market for a fj40 and found one on Craigslist Dallas.
Post id 6882701148.
'76 model without air or power steering. Asking $ 16,500.
Opinions greatly appreciated.
Please advise and thank you in advance,
Jason_Ag98
AG
I don't have any insight but this looks like the right link (you can just copy and paste directly into your post):

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/d/gladewater-1976-toyota-fj40/6882701148.html
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

I don't have any insight but this looks like the right link (you can just copy and paste directly into your post):

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/d/gladewater-1976-toyota-fj40/6882701148.html
Jason, thank you
reddog90
AG
That looks like a pretty good mostly original example. I would rock that. Just depends where it's spent it's life and what the rust is really like in the typical suspect places. Mustard is one of my favorite colors and I bet that original paint would clean up very nice and have perfect patina. Here is some motivation for you:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/just-purchased-this-gem-in-eastern-oregon.950499/page-3#post-11722919
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/project-pikachu-1977-fj40.962678/page-23#post-11663276
reddog90
AG
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Tell me more about that brake booster!!
Centerpole90
AG
I saw this unit on CL a couple evenings ago and thought - there's nice start for somenone - or just a helluva nice truck EXACTLY like it is - depending on what the buyer wants to do with it! In fact, I intended to send that link to a acquaintance (non-Ag) who was pestering me about selling mine last week - but I'm not now with the potential that it could find its way to our AutoBoard family.

My advice is much like reddog's - go look. We can't tell every detail from those pictures, but there's nothing in those pictures that says anything besides "Come drive me and bring your checkbook." Nice, original 40's that are unmolested and complete and under $20k.... you can't think long.... just sayin.

Good luck.
reddog90
AG
https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/new-dual-diaphragm-disc-brake-booster-for-land-cruiser-fj40-fj55-fj60

It's well-received on mud.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I saw this unit on CL a couple evenings ago and thought - there's nice start for somenone - or just a helluva nice truck EXACTLY like it is - depending on what the buyer wants to do with it! In fact, I intended to send that link to a acquaintance (non-Ag) who was pestering me about selling mine last week - but I'm not now with the potential that it could find its way to our AutoBoard family.

My advice is much like reddog's - go look. We can't tell every detail from those pictures, but there's nothing in those pictures that says anything besides "Come drive me and bring your checkbook." Nice, original 40's that are unmolested and complete and under $20k.... you can't think long.... just sayin.

Good luck.
Centerpole, just what i was hoping for from you. See your posts and value your opinion. He has someone coming to look at it on Saturday and I hope to be there on Friday so wish me luck. Thank you again.
reddog90
AG
Bring a check book and a trailer.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
reddog90 said:

https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/new-dual-diaphragm-disc-brake-booster-for-land-cruiser-fj40-fj55-fj60

It's well-received on mud.
Thanks!

What is the advantage over the stock one?

Sorry, too lazy to search MUD LOL!
Centerpole90
AG
TAMU77CLAY said:

Centerpole, just what i was hoping for from you. See your posts and value your opinion. He has someone coming to look at it on Saturday and I hope to be there on Friday so wish me luck. Thank you again.
Friend there are many on this board infinitely more qualified than I to evaluate the potential of a vehicle project;

But when you come lookin' for someone to validate that inner urge to put some rusty money back in circulation and jump onboard with a project, vehicle, gun, boat, fishing trip..... you name it:

I'm your guy.

Keep us in your loop - I like where this is going.
Centerpole90
AG
I think the advantage is price, isn't it? Aren't the Toyota ones, if available, terribly expensive?
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I think the advantage is price, isn't it? Aren't the Toyota ones, if available, terribly expensive?
Yessirr. spot on. At my age, why not, can,t take it with me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.