Landcruisers

507,376 Views | 3457 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by reddog90
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This a safe place for LX talk? Zeroed in on a 2013-2015 LX570 as my next car. Know they are fairly bullet proof but still wondering if I should look out for anything, or any features you wish you did/didn't have?
txcincinnatus
AG
Pretty sure those model years were still prone to the radiator crack issue. Search ih8muds 200 forum or clublexus for "radiator hairline crack" and you should find some good info to learn more.

I think Mark Levinson speakers tend to blow out a little easier than most, so might want to give the speakers a good test
Shane431
AG
I kind of feel all LC/LX models are prone to radiator cracks from 98-up. After many miles of vibration they all start leaking where the metal/plastic meet. I'm more familiar with the LC 100 series but it's very common to replace radiators on these models after 100K miles or so.
TxAg20
AG
'03ag said:

This a safe place for LX talk? Zeroed in on a 2013-2015 LX570 as my next car. Know they are fairly bullet proof but still wondering if I should look out for anything, or any features you wish you did/didn't have?

My wife had a '14 LX for 5 years and ~50,000 miles. No problems beyond replacing the battery once and the damage a couple of kids can do to cream colored interior. It was a great vehicle. I think she had all options. The radar cruise slows way too far back, even on the nearest distance setting. That's my only complaint.

I drive a '17 LC and prefer the 6 speed of the '14 LX to my 8 speed. I also liked the LX headlights better.

I should add that the fuel tank size and fuel level sensor are frustrating. Fuel tank is 25 gallons and low fuel light comes on with 6 to 7 gallons remaining. With the poor fuel economy you'll be stopping for gas ~225 miles from your last fill up if you the low fuel light bothers you.
Mas89
AG

Spotted this up on a " Jeep trail "
Centerpole90
AG
slaughtr
AG
My 1984 Troopy
davido
AG
Nice rig. Nice setup.

How does it tow? Seems like a lot, even for a Troopy.
slaughtr
AG
davido said:

Nice rig. Nice setup.

How does it tow? Seems like a lot, even for a Troopy.

I only use it to tow in town to autocross. And the Lotus is light. I would never use it to tow on the freeway to a road course.
JB
AG
Got to install some parts on my buddies LC200. Ironman front bumper is almost done, just need to get the wheel liners trimmed up. Had to swap over the parking sensors and the headlights washers. It got a 10k Warn and some Factor 55 stuff. Last month I did the Icon struts and OME uppers, Slee sliders and a few other odds and ends. He also had some color matching done all over that looks pretty good.
stevopike
AG
who did the color matching? I've got a silver one I want to chrome delete with a dark gray and trying to figure out wrapping or painting.
JB
AG
He had one of the dealers in Dallas do it

davido
AG
Not sure if I can link a FB page, but if not, check out Off-Road-Georgia. They have some good builds.

https://www.facebook.com/Off-Road-Georgia-111148470711387/
davido
AG
'03ag
DFW -> Boerne -> DFW today

We're done with minivan life and bringing this home today

2013 one owner with 74k on the clock

'03ag
Who's got a good independent shop in DFW(mid cities)?
AggieGunslinger
AG
My wife's DD is a 2000 LX, the radiator cracked/exploded just before Thanksgiving. It had 260k miles on it. I swapped it out myself, there is a great tutorial on Ih8mud.com. it said 2 hours which usually means 4-5 for me, but I managed to do it in 2.5.

Point is, the fix is easy, the hard part is getting it home when it happens and waiting on parts.
2818ag
So badass
MR Gadsden
Goode's Off Road in Rowlett. He pretty much only does Landcruisers (469) 556-7752
reddog90
AG
slaughtr said:

My 1984 Troopy
Where has this been?? More details on troopy please.
MTTANK
AG
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-83/

Kind of had my eye on this guy, but it seems like its going to go for more than I'm willing to pay for it. No surprise considering it's listed on bat. Would love an original paint one, but prefer it not be a 350 swap. Logic says that should hurt the value of this one, but with the way they are printing money thats out the window.
Centerpole90
AG
I like that. The 350 wouldn't be my first choice either but the 'value' is it certainly will bring less than the same truck with the 2F.
'03ag
First mod in the books

Headed on a ski trip next week and picked up a Skybox. Turns out it was too long and interfered with the rear hatch opening all the way

Was planning on getting the longer LC bars anyway. There just so happened to be a set for sale near by for $75. Done.

Before an after.

drmwvr
AG
'03ag said:

First mod in the books

Headed on a ski trip next week and picked up a Skybox. Turns out it was too long and interfered with the rear hatch opening all the way

Was planning on getting the longer LC bars anyway. There just so happened to be a set for sale near by for $75. Done.

Before an after.

You'll love the new racks. Houston>Keystone> Houston over the holiday break. No issues at all.

Other side says "Cruiser". My kids get it
'03ag
Great success.
TX_AG_10
AG
'03ag said:

DFW -> Boerne -> DFW today

We're done with minivan life and bringing this home today

2013 one owner with 74k on the clock

Very nice ride. Super jealous! We are in the exact same boat. Our Toyota Sienna has been great but we've been trying to zero in on an used 570. Hoping we can follow in your footsteps soon!
'03ag
Not gonna lie I miss the sliding doors. But it's not that big if a deal anymore. Both kids are can climb in and out now with no help. They love the new ride.

reddog90
AG
MTTANK said:

Kind of had my eye on this guy, but it seems like its going to go for more than I'm willing to pay for it. No surprise considering it's listed on bat. Would love an original paint one, but prefer it not be a 350 swap. Logic says that should hurt the value of this one, but with the way they are printing money thats out the window.
Buy it, later on swap in a 2F someone has pulled.... or a 1HZ.
reddog90
AG
I got a big roof box before thanksgiving travel as well. It's robbery what these things cost new, but I didn't have time to wait and find what I wanted used. We had 2 adults, 2 kids under 2, and 2 large dogs in the car. 2 quartered deer in the cooler and all our junk on the roof. We would have needed another vehicle if we didn't have the box. It's not expo like a roof rack but certainly more fitting for my needs right now.

Heights Ag 06
AG
Great set-up - certainly getting the most of your rig! Dumb question amnesty - does the factory roof rack need any modifications to hold the cargo box? I'm looking at adding 2 - 3 mountain bike trays for the roof and wondering if it should support the weight of 3 mountain bikes (~70lbs?).
'03ag
Fortunately I got as good a deal as you're going to get right now on a new box. Everyone has 2022 pricing on these now, but the shop I went to had a few in stock still at 2021 prices. Saved me $80, which I then promptly spent on the LC bars

I had a Thule secured from Facebook marketplace but the dude sold it out from under me. I offered to meet as soon as he wanted, he told me 6pm. Then he let some dude come buy it from him a few hours earlier. "Sorry this guy was really persistent" GFY dude
Centerpole90
AG
I worked on my 40 over the New Year break - painted the inside of the tub, rebuilt park brake, installed clutch & trans, got the hump and shifters back in, tank and tank cover, replaced all the rubber fuel lines…. Was going to put the seat frames back but things were looking so good inside I decided to order some plated fasteners instead of my old rusty ones.

Just need some throttle linkage parts to be delivered and I'll go work under the hood a while.

reddog90
AG
Heights Ag 06 said:

Great set-up - certainly getting the most of your rig! Dumb question amnesty - does the factory roof rack need any modifications to hold the cargo box? I'm looking at adding 2 - 3 mountain bike trays for the roof and wondering if it should support the weight of 3 mountain bikes (~70lbs?).
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/roof-rack-load-limits-on-road-vs-off-road.1242080/#post-13664985

Factory roof rack rating on our trucks is ~150 lb. Im sure I overshot that with the box loaded for the trip, but this seems to be a very conservative rating. Lots of folks mount 160 lb RTTs and wheel, then sleep two adults inside at night with no issues (myself included with 2 extra cross bars). Your bikes will be fine with no mods to the factory rack.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Decided that instead of an RTT, we'd do a sleeping platform inside our 100 series. I didn't like any of the commercial offerings.

MTTANK
AG
reddog90 said:

MTTANK said:

Buy it, later on swap in a 2F someone has pulled.... or a 1HZ.
I gave it my all! My high bid was 32500. More than I thought it would take. Hammered at 34k. What's your opinion on price? By the way, none of this would have happened if you would not have sold your 40 out from under me!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.