Landcruisers

522,668 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
stevopike said:

Ragoo said:

Where is the best place to find an older Landcruiser?

Are they decent short range tow vehicles for like a ski boat?
Define older

70's/80's/90's?
sorry. Mid late 90s to more recent. Maybe 1995-2005 or so?

I have a 2009 F-150 that I do t want to keep forever. I also don't want to go buy a brand new vehicle. Thinking a Landcruiser with 100,000 miles of life left might be a decent trade. Currently also have a 2016 Sequoia for my wife's DD.
TxAg20
AG
The 80 series ('91-'97) with the 4.5L straight 6 isn't going to be a great tow vehicle unless you're talking about a jon boat. It's rated at 212hp at the flywheel and you probably lose 25% of that through the auto trans and fulltime 4wd.

The 100 series ('98-'07) is a little more powerful with a 4.7L V8, but still not much of a tow truck for the same reasons as the 80 series.

The 200 series ('08-'21) got a proper 5.7L V8 with 380 horsepower and should be fine for towing, but it's still a short wheelbase vehicle. I would say it's a great off-road vehicle, and good, but not great, at just about everything else.
Ragoo
AG
Awesome. Thanks!
Ragoo
AG
My wife's Sequoia has enough power to be the primary tow vehicle. I pull the boat with it now.

What would you guys do? Keep the truck? I just feel like it is going to crap out at some point. I don't mind driving an older vehicle especially if proven to get a lot of life out.

We also have a Taxa Woolybear and RTT. But that is light any vehicle could pull.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Ragoo said:

Thinking a Landcruiser with 100,000 miles of life left…

So…you're looking for a Land Cruiser with 600,000 miles or less? Shouldn't be an issue.
TxAg20
AG
I like Land Cruisers. If you want a rock-solid, reliable, 100,000 miles, I would get the cleanest 100 or 200 that fits your budget. You want one that looks like it hasn't been offroad or lived in a salt environment. Don't worry about mileage. Next replace alternator, starter, water pump, hoses and fluids. Use new, OEM Toyota for the hard parts.

Several years ago there was someone on ih8mud talking about an NGO that serves the most rural areas of Africa. They use Land Cruisers and do the above maintenance every 200,000 kms (~125,000 miles).
BiggiesLX
Ragoo said:

stevopike said:

Ragoo said:

Where is the best place to find an older Landcruiser?

Are they decent short range tow vehicles for like a ski boat?
Define older

70's/80's/90's?
sorry. Mid late 90s to more recent. Maybe 1995-2005 or so?

I have a 2009 F-150 that I do t want to keep forever. I also don't want to go buy a brand new vehicle. Thinking a Landcruiser with 100,000 miles of life left might be a decent trade. Currently also have a 2016 Sequoia for my wife's DD.

I have a 99 LX and it's a great mix of technology and old school reliability. on top of that it's comfortable and easier to drive than a half ton truck.

If you can work on your own 100 series to include ball joints, control arms, timing belt, and valve gaskets your cost of ownership will be cheap. If you don't want to wrench, I'd get a 200 series and just accept the ****ty gas mileage.

Edit to add that parts from https://en.impex-jp.com/ are cheaper than domestic dealer prices due to the exchange rate.
'03ag
Finally made it out to Bridgeport with my brother and a couple of his Jeep friends. Place is no joke. Had a good time and it's nice to be able to push yourself a little harder with other people around.

'03ag
Cut up some video of our day. Wish we had gotten more.

reddog90
AG

First drive singe August. Fresh front axle housing, knuckle rebuild kit and new Dobinsons IMS kit on deck to install.
Aggietaco
AG
Love those wheels.
reddog90
AG
MTTANK
AG
I can get over the powertrain change, and a lot of the other stuff. But no rear tailgate sucks.
K Bo
AG
Truck is back at LC of Houston for a few things, including blasting and painting the chassis, and they recently posted this to their IG
ATL Aggie
AG
My son recently got his learners permit so we decided to head up to the north GA mountains for a little exploring. It was his first time off pavement.

We've had a lot of rain the last week so we got into a little mud. The LC made it through with no problem, but the Yoko Geolander AT's didnt give me a lot of confidence. They have been on the truck since I bought it a little over a year ago because I havent decided what size tire I want to replace them with. I keep vascilating between the stock 275/70R16 or go a little bigger with 285's.

Naveronski
AG
Went camping at Merus the other weekend.

Kinda chilly, but not too bad.

Naveronski
AG
And today I got to teach my son to replace inner/outer tie rod ends.

AgCMT
AG
I'm not sure what I've got myself into, but I picked up a 2003 LC 100 with 300k miles for $8k this weekend. No rust and only 2 owners with every document ever produced for the vehicle.

I'll be sure to read the thread in depth before asking any stupid questions!
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Let's start slow with a Rule 1 and go from there.
AgCMT
AG
Fair enough. It needs some love on the interior and of course the rear wind wing is gone but runs well.

Centerpole90
AG
NIIIIICE!
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Very nice. Congratulations.
AgCMT
AG
I fell in love with the 60's, but the price seemed like a great deal. I still have my eye out for a 60 in the future. I work from home so I don't drive that much. Haven't had a vehicle in a few years. Gave my kid my old pickup and bought my wife a new car in '21.

When my wife and I got married, 17 years ago, I found a '75 IH Scout with only 27k original miles on it. The owner bought for his ranch and kept it in his garage when he sold the ranch. I bought it for 2k. We needed cash for a deposit on a new house and I had to sell it. My wife knows how much that one hurts so doesn't mind me getting a project vehicle.

Not sure how much I want to put into this one. I may just clean it up a bit and use it as a daily and hold out for a 60 for my project car. When I saw someone asking $1200 for the plastic wind wing guard thing on the back, I realized I wasn't going to get one and should probably save my money for the 60. We'll see...
Complete Idiot
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3gvMYPBG/1996-toyota-land-cruiser-prado-tx-30-turbo-4x4?utm_source=ld&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=n
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I can vouch for the seller.
reddog90
AG
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/jtusixty-tilda-bogue-service-station.1314113/page-10#post-15341258
K Bo
AG
wow
AgCMT
AG
I would like to see what they've done to it to charge $75k. That's crazy!
Streetfighter 02
AG
It's in the ih8mud link.
reddog90
AG

Good cameo guys.
'03ag
We're going to go pick it up in a few weeks. Trying to work that out still.

Still not sure exactly what they're going to do with it, but we'd like to get some content while we're up there. Hopefully get some video of Brian pulling the Sasquatch through their off-road course in his Jeep. Would like to get my LX up their too, but may not work out.
AgCMT
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Anyone have a recommendation for a hydraulic repair/manufacturing shop? My power steering hose needs replacing, and the OEM is discontinued. I ordered an aftermarket one, but it's for a US spec FJ80 and not close to the one I have. Amayama's inventory just says >1, so I'm not to confident in placing an order there.

Naveronski
AG
I took my brake lines to a local shop so they could see the ends, then had them make it to my length. Super easy; I'd imagine would work fine for what you need too.
TxAg20
AG
Take it to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses. They should be able to replicate everything outside of the "paper clip" bends pretty easily. I would ditch the paper clip and go with an aftermarket cooler. I have Derale units on my 80 series.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.