Landcruisers

522,006 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by AgCMT
IWannaGoFast1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got rear carpet replaced with Stock Interiors stuff with the mass damping. We elected not to use the jute since it was really thick.

Also made some good progress on the sleeping platform. The leg material will finally be here tomorrow, so hopefully I can completely finish the project then.

I used self-supporting hinges for all the flaps and routed pockets in the foam core for hardwood inserts to screw the hinges into. I also routed the hinge locations in the face sheets so they are all flush.

Did the first coat of bed liner today, just cheap stuff. It's still wet in the photo, but hopefully it'll dry a little less streaky. We'll see. I'm not too happy with it at the moment.

MTTANK
AG
Nice work! She needed new carpet back there, not sure what that was. It was like asphalt or something from what I remember
GIG 'EM
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Thanks!
reddog90
AG
I finally got my drip rails finished. It's definitely not professional body shop quality work, but it is good enough for a driver truck and I caught it early enough to not have any rot. Old stuff was chipped out with a flathead screwdriver and mallet, then the rails were wire wheeled clean with a dremel. I treated them all with rust converter, then laid down 2 coats of epoxy primer. I used 3M self leveling seam sealer which has a work time of only 8 minutes and comes out nice and smooth. I topped that with another coat of epoxy primer, 2 coats of Toyota 8B4, then 2 coats of clear. None of this was complicated, it's just tedious work. I would run some of my tape lines slightly different next time, but overall I am pleased with the results.

Before

Surface rust above the driver door caught early enough.

Applicator tip doesn't fit inside most of the rail on the A pillars. I let gravity and a popsicle stick work the sealer down into the seam and it levels itself out.

Let excess sealer run out the bottom of the A pillars

Pull tape to get crisp lines in your sealer. I worked in about wingspan-lengths of the rails. Apply sealer with applicator tip aimed directly into the seam for a few feet. Smooth that out with a gloved finger, pull tape to get a clean line and then move your ladder over to start on the next section. You have to pull the tape while the sealer is still curing but before it is too hard. I wish I had taped the top outer lip of the drip rail though.

Tape and prime again.

Spray color and clear.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Has anyone else done carpet in their 100 series? There's a cast piece of foam under the passenger seat. I took it out but can't for the life of me figure out what the orientation is supposed to be going back in.
TxAg20
AG
coleasterling said:

Has anyone else done carpet in their 100 series? There's a cast piece of foam under the passenger seat. I took it out but can't for the life of me figure out what the orientation is supposed to be going back in.

I haven't, but you might be able to find the orientation on a parts diagram. partsouq.com has lots of diagrams for Land Cruisers.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Front carpet done...Horrible experience. The forming is poor and the carpet doesn't fit well. I spent a ton of time trying to get it right, no luck. Just going to have to deal with it. It "looks" okay at least. Hopefully I won't have to mess with it for awhile.

Also, sleeping platform done! Using it this weekend. Tons of storage space with only 4 legs and it's solid as a rock, but it's light enough that to install easily by myself. The coating sucks, but it'll work for a first go. Sleeping area is a little over a full-size bed and we threw a 3" memory foam topper on it.

reddog90
AG
Nice work!
reddog90
AG
Fresh water tight drip rails

reddog90
AG

I've stabbed this JimC dizzy wrong like 15 times. Had to phone a friend to CP late last night and still gave up. Hoping to get it stabbed right and running well tonight. Ignition parts replaced: recurved dizzy, cap, rotor, oring, coil, plugs, wires. All OEM.
reddog90
AG

These are staring at me from the corner of the garage.
Centerpole90
AG
We are close - just a tad off. I'll grant you this… it's much more difficult with your dizz because it's smaller. The DUI is so BIG that's it's easier to aim the rotor here or there and estimate the angle. You are shooting with open sights instead of scoped. I can see where guessing at the right tooth is challenging with OEM.

After we got done I caught up on Ukraine and a couple YouTube videos - by the time I got to bed MrsCP had long since drifted off. Her first question this morning - "y'all get it running?"
reddog90
AG
Finally got that JimC dizzy stabbed, timing set at 7* for now, and engine running smooth.

Centerpole90
AG
Is that factory lighting in the instrument panel?? That's a far cry from the 40 panel that I absolutely had to use my cell phone to read at night. Yesterday I put in LEDs and it's much better... Did Toyota improve in that time period or did you upgrade??
reddog90
AG
PO might have upgraded the bulbs? I haven't done anything. I need to add an LED bulb for the HBI because it doesn't turn on with the Koito headlights at the moment, so I will check then.
Centerpole90
AG
I used the suggestions from mud for Superbright LEDs.com replacements. Two soft white, two green for turn signals, and a another white for HBI. The instruments and HBI are awesome now. Green turn signals are a bit extra, but nothing bad.

Yours are awesome there! I'm sure you recall how much 40 cluster sucked at night.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I like those screwdrivers.
reddog90
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

I like those screwdrivers.
Just got them and I like them a lot. Need to get the impact ones next.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
For screwdrivers with hammer caps, these are the best I've ever used. They are fantastic tools and well worth the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-53097-Screwdriver-Slotted-Phillips/dp/B000T9UKO8
reddog90
AG
I want JIS tips though.
reddog90
AG
New boot goofin with Marge.

33/10.5/15 KM3s with 92% tread next to new 255/85/16 (33.1x10) Yokohama G003s

IWannaGoFast1
AG
Whatcha doin with the 15's?
reddog90
AG
A friend is picking them up this weekend for his 40.
KurtK85
AG
Picked up my first Land Cruiser earlier this week. 1981 BJ40 (diesel). She's a bit of a rust bucket and slow as molasses, but I'm excited for a project! If anyone has leads on a passenger door, I'll need to replace mine one day soon (rusted through). For now, I'm sorting through it, trying to address the list of fluid leaks, and slowly replacing old parts (window trim, lights/lenses, mirrors, etc).

Anyone drive a diesel LC on here?

Any good shops you recommend in the Houston area?

nortex97
AG
Only a few hours left, Ags.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-toyota-land-cruiser-43/
MTTANK
AG
nortex97 said:

Only a few hours left, Ags.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-toyota-land-cruiser-43/

What a rusty POS, not sure why bat listed that garbage. Not to mention the undesirable exterior color
GIG 'EM
'03ag
Picked up a set of Land Cruiser wheels today with some 33 inch K02s.

Tires don't have a ton of life left so I'll probably keep them as spare/camping trips only for a while. Get them powder coated in the meantime

The before
reddog90
AG
KurtK85 said:

Picked up my first Land Cruiser earlier this week. 1981 BJ40 (diesel). She's a bit of a rust bucket and slow as molasses, but I'm excited for a project! If anyone has leads on a passenger door, I'll need to replace mine one day soon (rusted through). For now, I'm sorting through it, trying to address the list of fluid leaks, and slowly replacing old parts (window trim, lights/lenses, mirrors, etc).

Anyone drive a diesel LC on here?

Any good shops you recommend in the Houston area?

Congrats!

Steve at Northwest Design & Fab is the man to go to around here. Or maybe Javier's.
Centerpole90
AG
As someone who drove a squarebody C30 with a 6.2L diesel & 4 speed all through Aggieland years…

I can certainly feel Kurt's pain.

#nadiesel
reddog90
AG
You got that tire carrier on yet??
Centerpole90
AG
No, not yet. I'll need to remove bumperettes and receiver hitch; then I'll paint the rear crossmember/bumper before installing the fresh 4Plus goodness since it's fresh powder black.

I'll need to finish planting cotton to do much serious work. I can't believe it has been 30 days since my last update and about all I've done is spend a fortune on OEM windshield wipers, get all the lights burning good, install LED's in the instrument cluster, and installed a winch wiring kit to the 8274.

I certainly have enough parts on hand to get a lot knocked out when the time does allow.
fwag04
AG
Sad day this weekend, sold the 100

There she goes
reddog90
AG
Complete Idiot
fwag04
AG

I replaced the 100 with this 200, a 2015 LX 570 with under 44k miles. It was more than I originally budgeted, but looks and feels new and was well taken care of. It came with 22" forged TRD wheels that I plan on replacing with 17" or 18" wheels to make it less blingy (although my wife loves the wheels on it )

I originally was against going with a Lexus name badge, but I'm extremely happy with it so far, it's everything I loved about my 100 and then some.

The 100 went to a Mud member with a sweet 200, he bought it for his daughter as her first car. It was a lot harder than I expected to see it go, but it's going to a good home.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.