Landcruisers

522,403 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CPjr just busted one of y'all riding around Aggieland in your 40….

Streetfighter 02
AG
New 2023 Sequoia TRD Pro looks pretty sweet.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I saw this one last night at an Aggie happy hour, no Aggie sticker so I didn't question all in attendance.
RVAg02
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

New 2023 Sequoia TRD Pro looks pretty sweet.
It really does. Not sure what's up with the third row (that I straight took out of my 2013 LC), but it might be considered if and when I need something new.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I know the older models are more common on here but has anyone swapped out the factory radio in a LX470 or 100 series. We are wanting to upgrade to something with Bluetooth and possibly a backup camera, and with the 1999-2000s the add on Bluetooth module doesn't work as far as I can tell.
Dumpster Fire
AggieGunslinger said:

I know the older models are more common on here but has anyone swapped out the factory radio in a LX470 or 100 series. We are wanting to upgrade to something with Bluetooth and possibly a backup camera, and with the 1999-2000s the add on Bluetooth module doesn't work as far as I can tell.
I have a 2000 LC with a bluetooth stereo. it is a single-din unit with no camera or navigation.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Did you install yourself or have it done at an audio shop. I keep reading about the factory amp issues and ground/feedback loop caused by the amp. I am just trying to find how hard it is to do my self, have have done quite a bit of stereo work in the past but nothing recently.
Dumpster Fire
Had it done for me. I don't touch electrical issues because that stuff fries my brain. I am not sure what they did with the amp. My system is also needing a reboot because only my front speakers work. I get nothing out of my rear ones when I fade it to the back.
'03ag
This did it himself and posted his wiring diagram. He used a double DIN unit. Sounds like there are no plug and play harness available which is a huge bummer.

Here's a trim piece that is supposed to fit. https://www.beatsonicusa.com/stereo/stereo-installation-kits/toyota-lexus/landcruiser-lx-470/beat-sonic-sla-100fb.html

Regardless, if I were going to the trouble of doing this(or having it done) I'm 100% buying an Android Auto/Carplay unit. But then I'd also probably rip out all the factory speakers/amp and just redo all of it.

'03ag
2nd "mod" in the books

I just installed a Vline Android Auto module on my 2013 LX, and it's going well so far. Also did a beat sonic video in motion defeat.

Unfortunately these days manufacturers make it impossible to fit a regular old single/double DIN unit. This is an imperfect solution, not without drawbacks. But it does allow me to use google maps and that was the main thing.

Everything is plug in play. Barely over an hour to install both modules.

AggieGunslinger
AG
That is my plan, and you are correct about the harness which isn't a huge issue but mostly just a time suck. Absolutely on the Apple and Android update. The speakers aren't stock sizes, so you have to mod current speaker mounts and surroundings to fit.

Thanks for the link.
'03ag
Looks like same guy did an ih8mud post which might be helpful also.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/lx470-stereo-upgrade-with-nakamichi.827626/
AggieGunslinger
AG
That's my end goal but options are limited in a 2000.
RVAg02
AG
New shoes! K Bo got some new stuff too.

K Bo
AG
Looks great!! It'll be awhile before my new goodies get mounted. I need to burn through my current tires.
reddog90
AG
That looks like a good upgrade.
reddog90
AG
Stopped by Northwest D&F shop last week and saw a nice pig Steve is going to be working on for a client in CA.

'03ag
reddog90 said:

That looks like a good upgrade.
It's not without issue. I've been asked about it on other forums so here's my breakdown of the known warts. It's all pretty well known out there and I was fine with it before buying.

Just generally speaking it's not part of the OE head unit and it shows. It integrates ok, but you're not ADDING android auto functionality to the factory unit. The Vline essentially takes over the aux port/screen and that has a few negative consequences.

• You can't use the factory AM/FM and the Vline at the same time. The only way to do that is put a radio APP on the Vline screen and stream radio through the Vline. That means using mobile internet all the time.
  • The factory usb aux input will charge your phone but NOT connect you to android auto. The unit stashes in the glove box and if you want wired AA you have to connect a usb cable to the unit. This is not a big deal for me because so far wireless AA is working just fine and I prefer that.
  • Anytime you touch the climate control your Vline screen goes away and doesn't return automatically. The fastest way to get back is to tap the Climate button then Audio. After only a few days I'm used to this and I can basically do it without looking. If you simply try to tap the Audio button to go back the factory system thinks you're trying to switch audio sources and you have to cycle back to the Aux input.
  • The biggest issue is any time you get INBOUND calls or SMS texts, the factory system takes over and you can't return to Vline until your call is over. Because the Vline is just your AUX input. It would be as if you took a call and tried to use the radio at the same time. Naturally the factory system wouldn't let you do that. Importantly, you CAN make an outgoing call from inside Vline/AA while using it as your nav, and it will stay on that screen. So I can phone, hangouts, what's app from inside AA using voice commands and never leave nav. It's only incoming calls and SMS that are an issue.
nortex97
AG
Ok, purists and aficionados, I dare you to click on this and not laugh.

https://jalopnik.com/a-chinese-company-will-turn-your-old-land-cruiser-into-1848453601
ILikeTacos
AG
RVAg02 said:

New shoes! K Bo got some new stuff too.

Where did you buy the wheels? I am thinking about those for the GX build I have planned.
K Bo
AG
Recommendation for alignment shop in Houston? Since picking up the LC from Duggy's after the replacement IM bumper I'm getting some pretty bad torque steer and pulling right. No clue how that happens but don't think I'm going to go back to Duggy's. TIA!
reddog90
AG
You have a bilstein lift right? Aftermarket UCAs?
K Bo
AG
Bilstein on 2nd perch / stock UCA's / IM premium front bumper.

After I went up to second perch @ Duggy's they had it aligned and it was great - max caster & it tracked perfectly straight. It was only after I recently picked it up after they replaced the IM bumper (the original was damaged in shipping and IM sent a new one) that it's been pulling to the right + torque steer. It might be purely coincidental but I'd like to take it somewhere else. I read on mud that some folks have had good luck with Sal's Auto Sport. Based on the previous alignment, I don't think I need aftermarket UCAs but I'll let the aligning shop determine that.
reddog90
AG
Maybe Brazelton? I wasn't happy with my alignment there after I installed my lift, but I have SPC UCAs and had initially netted too much lift so it might not have been their fault. I know they sell a lot of cruisers and they will be familiar with factory UCAs
drumboy
AG
NLine on Ella has some an alignment and light suspension steering work on my leveled Tundra and apparently they focus on lifted cars.

They've done suspension & steering work on my Ag buddy's LR3/Taco/Defender and he recommended them to me.
K Bo
AG
drumboy said:

NLine on Ella has some an alignment and light suspension steering work on my leveled Tundra and apparently they focus on lifted cars.

They've done suspension & steering work on my Ag buddy's LR3/Taco/Defender and he recommended them to me.
That would be incredibly convenient for me, as I live in Oak Forest.

Brazelton was another thought since they sell lots of LC's.

Thanks!
Centerpole90
AG
30 day update.

I got my linkage parts in and got to work under the hood. One of the objectives of this whole exercise, that I'm calling a 'reFRESHtortion', was to get what was under the bonnet looking a lot more stock. Earlier in this thread I shared that I had bought this 1978 frozen block 2F on craigslist for the purpose of harvesting stuff I needed to go back to stock. That purchase was a huge help in making this possible.

The carb, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, air cleaner assembly... most any one of those components could have potentially cost as much as I paid for the whole enchilada! I think I will have good head to add to my parts dept to boot.

I wish I had a before picture to compare this to; I also wish I'd wiped off that air cleaner before I snapped the pic

One lesson I did learn. I had hella time getting fuel in the carburetor bowl. This has a recirculating fuel system so I figured the fuel return regulator wasn't working, then I figured the fuel pump wasn't up to snuff, the whole time hearing hoofbeats and assuming giraffes. What seemed like a stuck needle valve but really wasn't, yet it REALLY kinda was - turned out to be a tiny spring that goes in the needle and pushes on a plunger against the float tab. After taking the carb air horn off 20 times fighting float height settings I finally decided the spring needed to be trimmed so the plunger wouldn't stick so proud out of the needle valve. This was throwing off the geometry where the needle valve and float interact. I started with 2 coils. Shortening that spring by this tiny amount was all it took to make my day go SO much better.

I don't know why youtube insists that every vertical video under a minute is now a 'short' but here we are. After a little idle mixture tuning using the lean drop method I got a good idle with fuel in sight window of the carb. 20lbs of vac with the needle, and steady. I'll call that good for now. (muffler not hooked up)

Now I'm waiting on a good hot day to stretch the new seat covers so I can take it for a spin; but I will start planting soon and that will slow progress down to a crawl for a while. The next 30 day update might not be so productive.

MTTANK
AG
While I have never been drawn to the 60's for whatever reason, this one is pretty sweet:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-toyota-land-cruiser-fj62-125/
GIG 'EM
AggieGunslinger
AG
I love the 60s, that is sharp.

Why is the chain thing mounted to the middle of the frame in the pic showing the rear axle.
TxAg20
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

I love the 60s, that is sharp.

Why is the chain thing mounted to the middle of the frame in the pic showing the rear axle.

Spare tire hoist.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Duh... I spent way to long thinking about that.
Centerpole90
AG
Great Scott Man.

6.2l LS3?? HANG ON! I can vouch for the RPM built transmission… I have one in a C10 and it's held up well. My tire purchases for our father/son truck tell me that it's been put to the test.
davido
AG
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/439211617999665/?ref=product_details&referral_code=marketplace_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks
MTTANK
AG
MTTANK said:

While I have never been drawn to the 60's for whatever reason, this one is pretty sweet:
Hammered at 100k!
GIG 'EM
DeadCiv
AG
MTTANK said:

MTTANK said:

Hammered at 100k!
HOLY CHIT. Torbush. For a 62.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.