Landcruisers

515,836 Views | 3484 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Naveronski
cruiserag2020
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got a site at Ernst Tinaja campsite for a few days. WIll do some hiking around there and take the kids down to the river one day. Also will do the window trail.

I was there this past summer by myself and stayed at Chisos Basin but always appreciate some advice or cool things to do/see.
texrover91
AG
Anyone done a lift / AHC delete on a LX470?

reddog90
AG
cruiserag2020 said:

I've got a site at Ernst Tinaja campsite for a few days. WIll do some hiking around there and take the kids down to the river one day. Also will do the window trail.

I was there this past summer by myself and stayed at Chisos Basin but always appreciate some advice or cool things to do/see.
I camped at Ernst Tinaja one night on my last trip. There is not much privacy there imo. The parking lot for Ernst Tinaja trail is like 300' away. The views are OK and proximity to hike into Ernst Tinaja is nice though. At somewhere like La Noria you should have much more privacy. Thee will still be some traffic passing on Old Ore but at least they aren't parking within earshot of your campsite to go for a hike. I would try to see both Boquillas and Santa Elena canyons with the kids. You could maybe hit Mariscal mine and boquillas canyon and back to your camp on Old Ore in one day. There was a bunch of flash flooding this year so hopefully the hot spring will reopen for your trip. Lots of cool easy to moderate trails up in the basin and very scenic turnoffs along ross maxwell.
reddog90
AG
Here's one to watch on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-toyota-land-cruiser-fj60-59/
Coin
texrover91 said:

Anyone done a lift / AHC delete on a LX470?

ih8mud.com is your friend here, but don't delete AHC unless you absolutely have too. No aftermarket suspension is anywhere near as versatile and comfortable.

FYI, I have an 03' LX and have replaced the accumulators, flushed the AHC fluid, and now replaced the bushings in the "shocks" and the ride is fantastic, especially off road. Plus a push button 2" lift on demand.
reddog90
AG
I had lunch with a friend last week and he let me drive his nicely restored 62. It was weird being in a 60 series driver seat but having an auto trans. Although it drove just fine for daily use someplace flat imo. Makes me miss my truck even more while it sits waiting on an h55f.

Streetfighter 02
AG
Nevermind. I got them to allow a return. Still have the Bestop windshield channel if anyone needs it.
texrover91
AG
Ok - I've never experienced a dialed in truck so I guess I should try that first - My first thought was new rear shocks and the dealer quoted a ridiculous number
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Replaced the speakers in my ride this weekend. The 6.5" subwoofer in the back was so old, it crumbled apart when I touched it. I put a new head unit in there so I bypassed the two factory amps. My problem was finding a spot to install the 10" sub that I bought. Because I have rear AC, there wasn't enough room in the original spot. I installed the amp under the passenger seat, and I could put the sub under the driver's seat because that's where the center console refrigeration system is. I thought about cutting a hole and installing it in the tailgate, but I really didn't want to do that. I finally ended up installing it in the opposite side rear panel.
Being a non-engineer student, my limited talent gave me the idea to use an old, steel baking sheet to cut and use as my mounting bracket.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Baking sheet and final fit. Need to go back and sound deaden everything.

reddog90
AG
You have a fridge in your center console? Was that factory option or has the CC been replaced with a small fridge?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
It's a factory option. Mine is a JDM. I've got the fridge, and rear AC was also not an American option at the time. The AC looks pretty elementary. Looks like the plastic tube at the bank drive-thru when you go to make deposits.

Coin
With rare exceptions, you should never have to replace the shocks on an AHC vehicle. They are simply hydraulic rams. The bushings, however, will get hard and crack over time.

The Actuators do go bad over time, and fluid needs to be flushed like any other fluid does.
texrover91
AG
Gracias - guess I'll start poking around and get educated
reddog90
AG
That's cool. My 200 has the cool box in the CC, didn't know Toyota ever offered that concept before that. It gets roadies cold quick but definitely won't make ice.
drumboy
AG
reddog90 said:

That's cool. My 200 has the cool box in the CC, didn't know Toyota ever offered that concept before that. It gets roadies cold quick but definitely won't make ice.
Does the cool box work w/ the engine off?
reddog90
AG
No. It just pipes in max cold ac air while the engine is running. The on/off button stays on whatever you have selected. So it can be cooling while driving, turn the car off to stop somewhere and coolbox turns off, then it turns back on automatically when you get back in the car and start the engine again. I thought it was a silly amenity before I got the vehicle but now we use it a lot.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Same. I thought it was gimmicky, and I still think it is. I do use it though. It gets drinks cold quickly. Takes about an hour for the ice to be completely frozen. I've only tried the ice once.
Shane431
AG
texrover91 said:

Ok - I've never experienced a dialed in truck so I guess I should try that first - My first thought was new rear shocks and the dealer quoted a ridiculous number

Where are you located? Plenty of specialty shops in TX that will take care of you a lot cheaper than the dealer. If you're in the DFW are let me know. I can advise you on some shops.
MR Gadsden
Shane431 said:

texrover91 said:

Where are you located? Plenty of specialty shops in TX that will take care of you a lot cheaper than the dealer. If you're in the DFW are let me know. I can advise you on some shops.

I can advise against one specific one there.
Naveronski
AG
Which one?
'03ag
May get the Land Cruiser back eventually

https://www.motortrend.com/news/toyota-land-cruiser-likely-return-us-market/
texrover91
AG
I'm about an hour north of Dallas

Jessie on Grissom Lane is who I'd probably go to - let me know who you recommend. I know another shop in Carrollton/Lewisville but name is not coming to mind

Thx!
MR Gadsden
Naveronski said:

Which one?

Avoid Goode Offroad
Centerpole90
AG
TxAg20, dis u?

I couldn't remember the particulars - but when I saw this color it made me think of your project…

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClpvK2GtbEw/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Naveronski
AG
MR Gadsden said:

Naveronski said:

Which one?

Avoid Goode Offroad
Oh, really? I've heard good things about them. Didn't like the work, or what was your experience?

There's also Tandem Offroad, Tread Depot, Smith Offroad, and Tribe 16.
MR Gadsden
Naveronski said:

MR Gadsden said:

Naveronski said:

Which one?

Avoid Goode Offroad
Oh, really? I've heard good things about them. Didn't like the work, or what was your experience?

There's also Tandem Offroad, Tread Depot, Smith Offroad, and Tribe 16.

He had my FJ55 for over a year for an engine overhaul and vintage AC install. Went and picked it up to drive it home and it blew the head gasket. And he had the nerve to try and say I was responsible for it. He did eventually repair it after I had to tow it back to him from Midland. The vintage AC still doesn't work 100% of the time but I'll deal with it.
Naveronski
AG
Damn! That's rough.
Corps_Ag12
AG
LC newb here, if I were looking for a long term SUV, would a LC200 be a good option? Looking at a few 202 or 2021 trucks.
TxAg20
AG
Centerpole90 said:

TxAg20, dis u?

I couldn't remember the particulars - but when I saw this color it made me think of your project…

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClpvK2GtbEw/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Not mine. That one has far better paint than mine, but same front bumper.
TxAg20
AG
Here's the latest on my green 80 that's being restored:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1995-full-resto-build.1280394/page-22

My red 80 will get similar treatment when the green one is done.
Naveronski
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

LC newb here, if I were looking for a long term SUV, would a LC200 be a good option? Looking at a few 202 or 2021 trucks.

Daily driver family car? Sure. Don't ignore the Lexus GX and LX options too.

If you're wanting an offroading rig, the older models are preferred.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Naveronski said:

Corps_Ag12 said:

Daily driver family car? Sure. Don't ignore the Lexus GX and LX options too.

If you're wanting an offroading rig, the older models are preferred.

Family/back up/dog car

My truck is always full of tools for work and my wife prefers her IS250 sedan. She drove the GX and liked it but I'm just partial to the look of the LC. Don't really want to spend LX money and the front air dam on LX & GX hangs pretty low in my opinion to feel comfortable taking it to the lease.
'03ag
Generally speaking an equivalent age/mileage LX is cheaper than a land cruiser
texrover91
AG
I picked up a '99 LX470 in Houston for $8500. But I was also looking at a '97 LC in Austin and had him down to $6500 - paint was not as good on the LC.

Personally I'd go with an 80 or 100 over a 200, primarily to avoid more electronics but not much difference. Prefer the styling of the 80 over the 100/200

I was looking at a 97 LC in ATL for $8500 but it needed more work than the LX470.

I do still want an 80, and my wild hair idea is to fit a newer dash and bring the head unit to the top of the dash. But that's just crazy talk.

I really wasn't looking for AHC either / but I couldn't pass up the LX based on price and overall excellent condition - 203k miles and just needs the suspension (AHC) tuned and some hail dings taken out otherwise I'm shocked at how well it rides and engine performance for 200k. Towing is good too but a 16' tandem axle with a 6-place SxS is probably at its limit / only if I have to - until I do some suspension work. (Bought the LX as a second to my diesel 2500, which needs a new turbo and some body work that will keep it in the shop for a while).

I looked at the GX 470 and saw some good deals so they should get strong consideration over the 460 (didn't like the front end!)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.