Landcruisers

519,982 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by AgCMT
MTTANK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Centerpole90 said:

I shouldn't be the one providing BBNP pics, that honor should be Naveronski because he's the one who really experienced it out there on the frontier in a tent over Christmas! Unfortunately, we missed each other in passing the day we arrived.

That said, I took tons of pics and I don't mind sharing! Full disclaimer, we didn't camp. We stayed at Lajitas and we really enjoyed that. We had our family of four and couple of the kid's friends so that made our living arrangements much easier. We did all our driving in 2 rigs: the 40 and my son's 4Runner.

Old Maverick Road; at this stop you can see the corner of Luna's Jacal in the background

Every morning I'd go out, check oil, look over everything, start 'er up and get warmed up before taking off.

Day 2 was a big driving day: all the way across to Boquillas, big day in Boquillas, some River Road, lots of Glenn Springs Road, the Black Gap obstacle, and finally rolled back on pavement at dark. This was Black Gap Road, about a mile below Glenn Springs.

The Black Gap obstacle…

Sierra Del Carmen featured by the evening sun. This was a few hundred yards from where I took the tarantula pic; my favorite truck picture from the trip, and I'm a spider hater.

The kids climbed Emory Peak on New Year's Day while Mrs. CP and I explored the Chisos Basin, took in a black eyed peaoff at Terlingua Ghost Town, drove 170 into BBRSP almost to Madero Canyon, then came back and met the kids in Terlingua for a cerveza.

Don't blow off this little gas station in Lajitas, they've got everything; great breakfast sandwiches, and the last gas toward Presidio.

Checking out the DOM rock form Fandango. (BBRSP on 170)

Back at the Lajitas Trading Post/Starlight Theater before dark to hang out.

Best part - Mrs. CP had ball and wants to come back to see and do more. All in all trip was 10/10, the weather was perfect and we had an awesome time with the kids. Can't wait to do more.

Man, you are living the dream! What a perfect cruiser. Really appreciate you posting pictures!
GIG 'EM
Centerpole90
AG
Quote:

looks like a great truck for putting around the area.
^
This should be etched into stone, put on a lit billboard, or tattooed on the back of every prospective 40 owner's eyelid; because it perfectly describes what you are doing in a 40 in 2023.

Capable? Absolutely, it's a mountain goat. It will go anywhere you point it and takes second place to very few.
Dependable? Yessir, it gives you more back than you put into keeping it up.
Fun? More than Disneyland.

Fast? As a tortoise.
Comfortable? As a root canal.
Spacious? A bit more real estate than a postage stamp.

In the grand scheme of things - I believe there are few vehicles of its era that could do what it did, but 45 years later those guys in Jeeps, 4Runners, later LCs, and Tacos look a lot more comfy behind the rolled up glass, scooting from one mountain to the next at 75mph. For the sacrifice though, I meet a lot of new friends because it makes a lot of introductions.

@MTTANK
You are welcome, but rest assured, it's FAR from perfect; it's just perfect for ME. And last week on the road with my family I was reminded that I am indeed living the dream - for reasons the least of which is having an FJ40.

reddog90
AG
Great pics and I'm so glad you guys enjoyed it. It's a special place.
reddog90
AG
Naveronski said:

We did camp, and love exploring the area, but a 10 month old changes your pace through the park.

I need a trailer like yours for all this **** we carry with us for these two mongrels.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Excellent! I had the flu. Did not enjoy New Year's break.

Did you leave the drawers in the back or pull them for passenger space?
Centerpole90
AG
Sorry you had the flu, hope you're feeling better.

I took the drawers out. I then went upstairs and got a big bean bag and blanket and threw them in the back. I don't think the jump seats are very comfortable and we wanted to ride 3 & 3 in the 2 vehicles. The bean bag was a huge hit. My daughter and her pooch rode back there many miles and even cat napped at times.
Naveronski
AG
It was a fun build! RTT on actuators (the baby sleeps in his pack/play down in the annex), solar, 300ah lithium battery, and a diesel heater.

Edit: and just added a Dometic fridge, too.

RVAg02
AG
Question - Any feedback on change in steering or ride quality on a 200 after installing Spidertrax spacers?

I was thinking about doing a mild (~2") lift and spacers on my 2013, but saw a post on Mud that claimed that the handling and geometry was no bueno after installing the Spidertrax.
TxAg20
AG
I have a set and didn't like them. Where are you located? I would be happy to let you borrow mine and make you a deal if you wanted to keep them.

I'm in Midland, but I'm in the Austin area weekly.
RVAg02
AG
Can you share some details on why you didn't like them?
TxAg20
AG
It's been a few years since I tried them. Steering felt a little different, but nothing terrible. I was trying to prevent tire rub, but just ended up with rubbing in other places due to increased scrub radius.
RVAg02
AG
Interesting. I'm running the 285/65/18 KO2s, so need to do some looking on rubbing as well.
Naveronski
AG
I've been a fan of skinny tires to lessen the rubbing; ran 255/80/17 (33's) Cooper ST Maxx and they were a great tire. Ran them mostly on the road, so I needed a quiet tire to keep my sanity/wife happy. They also performed really well off road and only improved when aired down.

I'm now running 255/85/17 (35's) Mickey Thompson Baja Boss, an even more aggressive "AT" tire. They've only been on the truck since October, but they're quiet and well mannered on the highway, and give me enough traction off road to break a CV axle.

Only changed away from the Coopers because they aren't available in a skinny 35.
Streetfighter 02
AG
4plus swing out with hitch added. Need an extension to keep the light plugged in while swinging it out. Otherwise it's exactly what I wanted.

Centerpole90
AG
Sharp!!
tlepoC
AG
Ah so in addition to having the vehicles I want, you also have the bikes. Jealous.
texrover91
AG
My Kenda RTs (35x10.5 17) have arrived - expect to have them on this week - did a quasi scientific test with the spare (which is already mounted) but couldn't put weight in it b/c my lug nuts don't arrive until Monday. With no weight they clear but I expect I'll need to bend the body pinch weld eventually

Will post pics when they are on
Streetfighter 02
AG
Accept no substitutes!
reddog90
AG
I am running spidertrax on my '13 with factory wheels. Everything definitely felt different after I installed the lift and spacers but I don't know how much of that was due to needing to lower the front end slightly and realign or just the spacers. I needed the spacers to clear KDSS components and because I did not like the skateboard look without them. If I had to do it again, I would personally just drop to 17" wheels with the correct offset and not run spacers. But it might "feel" the same with that setup as it does now, not sure.
reddog90
AG
Looks perfect. I need a 1up.
reddog90
AG
Big progress this weekend

Rear main seal
Input bearing
OEM oil pan gasket with Toyota FIPG and new bolts
Resurfaced flywheel and new OEM bolts
Aisin clutch kit
Tcase broken down

Streetfighter 02
AG
It's the best one on the market in my opinion. Super sturdy as long as you get the 2" super or heavy duty versions.
texrover91
AG
Photo from my test fit without the new lugs - if it makes it without much modification it will be close. Since the new ties are 35x10.5 I'm hoping to limit any initial rubbing but the back end of the front bumper is hairy close.

We'll see what mods need to be made when all four are on the ground - I will go back to stock till I get it sorted out. The tires that came on the truck are awful so looking forward to a better tire.

Looking at front / rear bumpers, rack and RTT, AHC work and possibly new torsion bars - but front bumper will probably come first, plus a 1/2" body lift and pinch weld. The plan is to get the kids out camping this year - they are already looking forward to spending the night in the driveway lol. Hope to have it all ready this Spring. I'll need to space out my build anyway due to cost - everything is slow and expensive! Might have to learn to weld…

Centerpole90
Centerpole90
AG
Are you right or left handed?
Streetfighter 02
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Are you right or left handed?
Drive or writing? Left hand drive. Right handed.
Centerpole90
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

Drive or writing? Left hand drive. Right handed.
I was thinking writing... because I noticed you pinned and the swung the latching lever to the left, I've always locked mine the opposite direction. It just made curious if it was a handing thing.
TxAg20
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

It's the best one on the market in my opinion. Super sturdy as long as you get the 2" super or heavy duty versions.

I think they're great for 1 or 2 bikes. I have the double and 2 add-ons and it sucks with 3 or 4 bikes. I'll get a different rack before I put 4 bike on the 1up again.
drumboy
AG
TxAg20 said:

Streetfighter 02 said:

I think they're great for 1 or 2 bikes. I have the double and 2 add-ons and it sucks with 3 or 4 bikes. I'll get a different rack before I put 4 bike on the 1up again.

Why's that? I was planning on the double and adding 1-2
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
reddog90
AG
For more than 2 would you go with a hanging vertical style like velocirax rather than a tray? My boys are still on a mac ride and strider so I have a long time before needing that capacity so maybe I should just get a single now.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I figured that was it. I think it feels like there's more clearance on the left side because of the cooler tray.
Streetfighter 02
AG
If you want four you have to get the super duty double or whatever it is. It's built for two as the base setting. I've never had more than two so I can't speak to how four would perform. Not many tray racks can be rock solid with that type of moment so far from the receiver. The upright ones move just as much, though.
tlepoC
AG
Most I would go is 3 full size mountain bikes. Maybe willing to go 4 road bikes. 4 flexes a lot...probably all good but I'd be thinking about it the whole time. Still best rack you can get.
Streetfighter 02
AG
https://www.velocirax.com/products/velocirax-6

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/recon-rack/

The velocirax is the upright rack I've seen most. 1up just recently released their version. Bargain bin 5 bike version
ATL Aggie
AG
Streetfighter 02 said:

https://www.velocirax.com/products/velocirax-6

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/recon-rack/

The velocirax is the upright rack I've seen most. 1up just recently released their version. Bargain bin 5 bike version
I need to look into those.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.