Landcruisers

520,015 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by AgCMT
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ATL Aggie said:

ATL Aggie said:

How high will this go?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-toyota-land-cruiser-fzj80-34/

Welp, it's mine now. I put my ceiling at $25k and didn't think I would get it.

I CAN'T BELIEVE CP DIDN'T BUY THIS

Congrats!
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Not sure who owns this rig, but you and my wife work in the same building.
MR Gadsden
TSJ said:

Unexpected find at a tow yard.

Did you buy her?
TSJ
AG
Nope, I was there for work.

Now if I found a clean 60/62 it would be a lot harder for me to walk away.
Centerpole90
AG
Anyone venturing to BBNP for New Year? Looks like we will headed that way - green 40 with ConFer rack and Former Student decal; be sure to say Howdy.

Otherwise I hope y'all all have a very Merry and blessed Christmas.
Naveronski
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Anyone venturing to BBNP for New Year? Looks like we will headed that way - green 40 with ConFer rack and Former Student decal; be sure to say Howdy.

Otherwise I hope y'all all have a very Merry and blessed Christmas.

We'll be in the park starting tomorrow!

Corps_Ag12
AG
That's quite the rig! Is that what it takes to get into the park to camp?
Naveronski
AG
Thank you!

And no, not at all. Plenty of minivans and ground tents do just fine here.

I like to tinker and built both… or am still building both.
Naveronski
AG
Where are you camping?
Centerpole90
AG
Lajitas resort. Day tripping into parks.

We get there Thurs - leave Monday. How long are you there?
Naveronski
AG
We're in the basin now; never been to Lajitas. Might have to make the trip. We have the site through the first, but might leave the 31st or so. Depends on family.
Centerpole90
AG
Awesome! Is it severe clear there? The RGV is crystal clear tonight.

I will reach out when we get close - we will probably overnight Thursday night in Alpine and check in at Lajitas Friday. We plan to go to Boquillas one day, trail/hike/sightsee a day, and whatever else tickles our fancy remainder of time. I'd love to swing by and check out Camp Naveronski if able!
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

We plan to go to Boquillas one day,
Taking the "burro Uber" to the top?
Centerpole90
AG
Captain Pablo as my guide.
BoerneGator
AG
Nos vamos!
Naveronski
AG
Sounds great!

Weather has been chilly at night but beautiful during the day.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Out of curiosity, have any of you done the EGR delete on the 3FE? I might buy the kit to remove everything, or just do the unplug and short to ground on the pin.
'03ag
Family ski trip before Christmas.

This thing is boring as hell 99% of the time, but it's so damn good when conditions are rough.
Centerpole90
AG
HAPPY NEW YEAR from BBNP. Having a great few days with the family out West - best wishes to all the LC homies in 2023!

reddog90
AG
Hope yall enjoyed your LCs over the holidays. I abandoned my H55f swap and am deep into a clutch and transfer case rebuild project. I am replacing the oil pan gasket (which was leaking slightly) and rear main seal while I am there. I'm trying hard to get it all done this month and take it to BBNP in February.

Called in reinforcements to help me drop it a couple weeks ago.

Degreaser soak and pressure washer did the trick.

Bread trick to remove input bearing.

The oil pan was an absolute PITA to get off but we got it done yesterday along with the new rear main seal. I need to install the new input bearing and finish the OPG portion of this before I reinstall the bell housing, flywheel and clutch stuff, then break down the split case for a rebuild.
ATL Aggie
AG
Question about speakers in the 80 series:

I am going to upgrade the audio with a head unit & speakers. My current plan is to replace the 4 door speakers and bypass the factory amp. Do I need to replace the 2 dash speakers, the 2 ceiling speakers and the amp in the rear or can I leave them alone? Or should I disconnect them?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
You don't need to replace the dash speakers or the upper rear speakers. I replaced all of mine just because. You'll need to bypass the amps or it's going to keep blowing your dome light fuse. I just pulled the amps completely.

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1761-Wiring-Harness-Speaker/dp/B0002BEQJ8

I believe this wiring harness will bypass the amp for you.
MR Gadsden
Crutchfield.com is where I go for all things car stereo related. They should be able to give you options specific to your make and model.
texrover91
AG
Has anyone done a body lift or chipped their V8?

I have a Thorton chip I put in the first week I got my LX470 - seems to run well with it but I haven't noticed the fuel savings they claim (+~5MPG)

As to body lifts, I need new tires and I'm looking to do 12mm body lift to avoid any rubbing (hopefully). The only kit I've seen is out of stock at Trail Tailor, but it's an alloy and I'd prefer poly.

There's a company in Coppell that will cut the poly to order and drill a center hole for 3/8" bolt - if I go that route minimum order is 120" of round poly - curious if anyone has any interest in doing the same…

TIA!
jefe95
AG
Oh my

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KZQBYb6b/1991-toyota-land-cruiser-vx-limited
'03ag
Complete Idiot
jefe95 said:

Oh my

AggieGunslinger
AG
That will make a man contemplate doing something wonderfully stupid.
Centerpole90
AG
jefe95 said:

Oh my

Wait. That's the same unit vmiapteter just bought isn't it?? Same VIN.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Centerpole90 said:

jefe95 said:

Oh my

Wait. That's the same unit vmiapteter just bought isn't it?? Same VIN.

Long story short, I had to back out of it. I got offered to buy up some family members' shares of land on a piece of property we all inherited. Pretty much wiped me out.
Centerpole90
AG
That sounds like a very wise decision! LS swapping your other one will be keeping you busy a while anyway.
reddog90
AG
We need more BBNP pictures.
Centerpole90
AG
I shouldn't be the one providing BBNP pics, that honor should be Naveronski because he's the one who really experienced it out there on the frontier in a tent over Christmas! Unfortunately, we missed each other in passing the day we arrived.

That said, I took tons of pics and I don't mind sharing! Full disclaimer, we didn't camp. We stayed at Lajitas and we really enjoyed that. We had our family of four and couple of the kid's friends so that made our living arrangements much easier. We did all our driving in 2 rigs: the 40 and my son's 4Runner.

Old Maverick Road; at this stop you can see the corner of Luna's Jacal in the background

Every morning I'd go out, check oil, look over everything, start 'er up and get warmed up before taking off.

Day 2 was a big driving day: all the way across to Boquillas, big day in Boquillas, some River Road, lots of Glenn Springs Road, the Black Gap obstacle, and finally rolled back on pavement at dark. This was Black Gap Road, about a mile below Glenn Springs.

The Black Gap obstacle…

Sierra Del Carmen featured by the evening sun. This was a few hundred yards from where I took the tarantula pic; my favorite truck picture from the trip, and I'm a spider hater.

The kids climbed Emory Peak on New Year's Day while Mrs. CP and I explored the Chisos Basin, took in a black eyed peaoff at Terlingua Ghost Town, drove 170 into BBRSP almost to Madero Canyon, then came back and met the kids in Terlingua for a cerveza.

Don't blow off this little gas station in Lajitas, they've got everything; great breakfast sandwiches, and the last gas toward Presidio.

Checking out the DOM rock form Fandango. (BBRSP on 170)

Back at the Lajitas Trading Post/Starlight Theater before dark to hang out.

Best part - Mrs. CP had ball and wants to come back to see and do more. All in all trip was 10/10, the weather was perfect and we had an awesome time with the kids. Can't wait to do more.

Naveronski
AG
You're too kind! We loved camping, but my photos aren't nearly as beautiful.

Love that little 40, looks like a great truck for putting around the area.
Naveronski
AG
We did camp, and love exploring the area, but a 10 month old changes your pace through the park.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.