Landcruisers

522,665 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Woods Ag said:

Ironman 4" FCP Stage 2 Suspension kit is in.

I am new and inexperienced with anything automobile, but I've got the tools I need (so i think) to do this myself; however, after watching this video I got real nervous...

Called the local 4x4 shop and it'll be a month before they can do it themselves.

2 Questions:
- If I have the time to do this myself, do you think I can manage to get this done myself?
- If I cannot - what is your best guess as to what it would cost to have this installed a local shop?
Hard to answer your first question without knowing you but this stuff is pretty straight forward. I fully support you DIYing to save money on shop labor, put that money towards whatever tools you realize you are missing halfway through your install, and learn more about your truck so you feel more comfortable in it when you are in BFE. Just don't start any of this until your other truck is back on the road to relieve any time constraint.

I was quoted $795 to install a FCP kit and SPC UCAs on my 200 summer of 2020. I DIY'd with basic hand tools in my driveway over the span of a few evenings including wrestling with KDSS.

ATL Aggie
AG
reddog90 said:

ATL Aggie said:

Do you guys have any good sources for finding hard to find parts?

I am having trouble sourcing door moulding for my 40th anniversary. The '97 40th anniversary and Limited Edition moulding did not have the "Four Wheel Drive" lettering. A previous owner of mine replaced the moulding and I am trying to go back to the original look.
Do you have the part number? Try partsouq or amayama. Can also use partsouq diagrams to find the part number.

I believe that the part numbers for the mouldings without the "FOUR WHEEL DRIVE" were:

75731-60110: passenger side
75732-60110: driver side

But they have been replaced by the following part numbers which do have the letters. Everywhere I look defaults to these part numbers.

75731-60050 and
75732-60050

Amayama does seem to have 75731-60110 but they dont have the other side. I went ahead and ordered it for $100 including shipping but got a message that their staff needs to review the order before it is processed. I am not holding my breath.

reddog90
AG
My experience with amayama has been if the qty available is something like >1, they are probably going to cancel your order because they don't actually have it.
Woods Ag
AG
Those green springs look good!
Thanks for the advice. Im getting the DEF sensor installed on my f250 now.

New tie rods are in for the LC today too so I may be cleaning up the garage and sorting the parts to get started tonight.

I'll start taking pictures this evening so I can post before and afters
Woods Ag
AG
I've finished installing the rear suspension lift and I've noticed teh rear axle isn't level. The passenger side is slightly lower than the driver side. Any idea why this would be?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Not sure how much of a difference there is, but maybe just needs some time and a few miles for everything to settle.
Naveronski
AG
Woods Ag said:

I've finished installing the rear suspension lift and I've noticed teh rear axle isn't level. The passenger side is slightly lower than the driver side. Any idea why this would be?

The rear axle isn't level? Is the housing bent? Are your wheels/tires different?
Woods Ag
AG
between Thursday and the axle has leveled out. It may be 2mm off at most now. Car was always level.

Here's a few photos

Barely got out of my garage and started the front this morning. Couldn't even get the shocks off. bolt and shock stripped on top. I figure i could cut the passenger side off and get it out but there isn't enough clearance on the driver side for me to get in there, so i'm taking it to Big O Tires next week. They're going to help me do the front and then put on some 315/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers and black steel wheels and we'll be one step closer to hitting the trails later this summer.
Naveronski
AG
I'm still having a hard time understanding what you mean by "level".

Left to right/across the vehicle, one side is higher than the other?
Woods Ag
AG
Yeah, the drivers' side of the axle was noticeable higher than the passenger side... I shook the **** out of it, rode it all over our property and left it for the night and it seems level now... chalking it up to normal and im inexperienced... but maybe my axle just falls off down the road. We Shall See
reddog90
AG
I'm having a hard time envisioning how the axle wouldn't be level as well but glad it's shaken out now. Post up completed photos when it's done. If it was lean, double check if your springs are marked for specific sides. I seem to remember mine being marked for left and right sides of the vehicle, and maybe installing them opposite since I'm LHD and they're Aussie. Don't remember for sure.
Aggietaco
AG
Anyone in Austin with a 200 series that I could buy a beer in exchange for looking around your LC? After the disappointment that is the new Sequoia, the wife may be open to a LC.

E-mail is in my profile if you want to reach out that way.
Woods Ag
AG
Me either. I should have taken a picture bc I was perplexed lol
reddog90
AG
What's wrong with the new sequoia?
Aggietaco
AG
Would need to make 2 trips to pick up all the groceries.
Naveronski
AG
Those LX 570's are pretty nice too.
reddog90
AG
Aggietaco said:

Would need to make 2 trips to pick up all the groceries.
Because the batteries in the back? Doesn't the third row fold flat over them though? I wish they offered it with an engine choice like the Tundra.
Aggietaco
AG
Batteries and axle create a hump under the 3rd row seats so they don't fold flat. Toyota's remedy is to supply that load floor piece so you can create a level surface with the top of the 3rd row.

The cubic foot numbers make it seem like it wouldn't be an issue, but looking at the layout in person is a huge turnoff.

Also, I can't sit in the second row without bumping my head on the recess for the sun roof shade (I'm only 6'-1", even my wife who was wearing a trucker type hat brushed her head when getting in). Salesman thought you could order without, but it looks like the only options are a moon roof or sun roof regardless of trim.
Guitarsoup
AG

drmwvr
AG
LOL, I just sent that to my three daughter who all had to "endure" driving our '99 100 Series as their first car in high school. They thought it was so uncool until the boys let them know how cool it was.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've only had mine for about 6 months, and the LC is one of those vehicles that people really appreciate if they know what it is.

The LC is attractive because of its capability. It might not be a looker, but it gets you where you want to go. It reminds me of myself. I'm no looker, but I put food on the table.
reddog90
AG
I heard on a recent podcast that there were more ferraris sold in the US than 200s the past few years. Only people in the know recognize and appreciate them.
texrover91
AG
Looks like I'll be selling the LX450 soon…

Picked up my first 80 Series today - 1993 triple locked with 164k on the clock…

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Nice.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Anyone here got an 80 series with a 3UR-FE swap? I doubt GM is in a rush to send me that LT4 anytime soon. Now I'm thinking about finding a low mileage Toyota engine, getting it installed, and then throwing the Magnuson Supercharger on it. It would be about 100 less HP than the LT4, but 550 hp ain't no slouch.
Centerpole90
AG
Just curious, diesel not a consideration?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm really open to anything as long as it gives me more power. Also want to keep it at a certain price point. I don't want to do an engine swap that will cost me $60k. I'd just go buy another vehicle at that point.
Centerpole90
AG
Reason for asking, reddog told me after his trip to Solid Axle Summit last year 'diesel 80 is the cheat code'. I have been jealous of your LT4 order, because I'd love it in my C10, not sure about a Land Cruiser. BUT - you have to consider my base experience. My LC is a little tractor. I don't think of these rigs as ones out there doing smoky burnouts and a stout diesel (which I believe you can stay in the Toyota family of engines with) seems like a very cool and appropriate swap. Just making conversation, I think you are on your way to an awesome rig with any swap or staying bone stock. ... and I'd guess the LT4 crate motor is probably more pricey than most Toyota options.

What are the diesel options worth considering here, @reddog90??
reddog90
AG
1HD-T, -FT, or -FTE if you have extra money to burn on a wiring harness. 1HDT should be very straight forward for a shop with experience with these. Or sell the truck and buy an HDJ. The motor itself is still gonna be around 8k plus shipping. Then factor swap costs including whatever bits you need to make it all work together.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
LT4 with transmission and ECU was right at $30k, but no delivery date in sight. Couldn't even get an ETA.

I don't have a ton of experience with diesel. I've only had one diesel vehicle, and it was a 2015 BMW. I liked it though. I saw that one LC that had the duramax swap with over 600 lb/ft of torque, and that sounds exciting.

I used to have a dodge viper that I supercharged, and it was just massive HP and torque. Not looking to do donuts in the HEB parking lot in my LC, but the thought of that much HP and torque in there is interesting.

Hard part is, there's not one right answer. There are lots of good engine options to put in there. The problem is, I don't have a clear vision of what I want this thing to be. I've only thought about more power, and that's it.
Woods Ag
AG
What about a turbo or super charger on your FJ80?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've got a 1990 model with the 3FE. I haven't seen a supercharger option for that engine. I've looked at some turbo numbers and they are not really anything to get excited about.
Naveronski
AG
Buddy of mine dropped a Vortec LQ4 6.0 into his 80. It works, but has been a labor of love/project car. Wiring harness, overheating issue, constantly tweaking to get it running well.
reddog90
AG
I haven't done it myself yet, but I feel like you could have a shop do a 1HD-T or -FT swap for 30. GTurbo and PDI and roll coal for days or pull a camping trailer over colorado passes with ease. IMO, It's not going to be a sports car but it's going to be within the limits of how comfortable the rest of the vehicle is with that power. Are you in TX?

Who is the user with the maroon (or was it emerald?) 80 that Ian was restoring? Didn't he also have an HDJ?
TxAg20
AG
I have a maroon FZJ to HDJ swap (1HD-FTE) done by Ian and an emerald FZJ (staying restomod that has been at Ian's shop for 18 months (nearly done).

It's going to be much cheaper to find a nice HDJ than have a swap done by Ian. This one sold on BaT for a fraction of what the previous owner spent on the HDJ swap in the truck I own.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-toyota-land-cruiser-177/

Ian told me the wire harness work (outsourced to an expert in Australia) was about $25K on the FTE swap.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.