Landcruisers

522,591 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggietaco said:

Just thought I'd drop in to share an update on my auto search.

After looking at new Yukons, Expeditions, Explorers, Tellurides, Tahoes, Tundras, Sequoias, and GX460s, and used LC200s, GX460s, Sequoias, and LX570s...

Mrs. AT has narrowed down her choices to a 200 series, 2nd gen Sequoia, or LX570 in that order and told me to pull the trigger when I find the right deal.

I may be bad at a lot of things, but I feel like I'm doing something right here.
Hell yes. Dive into this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/most-recent-200-series-purchase-prices.913539/page-183#posts
Aggietaco
AG
Thanks, I'm an old Toyota fanboy, so I've been on mud for a while. Lost my original account when I lost my TAMU e-mail but rejoined a few years ago.
JB
AG
Aggietaco said:

After looking at new Yukons, Expeditions, Explorers, Tellurides, Tahoes, Tundras, Sequoias, and GX460s, and used LC200s, GX460s, Sequoias, and LX570s...

Mrs. AT has narrowed down her choices to a 200 series, 2nd gen Sequoia, or LX570 in that order and told me to pull the trigger when I find the right deal.

I may be bad at a lot of things, but I feel like I'm doing something right here.
My wife is currently in a '10 Burb, but I think the next ride will be one of those 3 choices. I think the Sequoia is the most pedestrian/generic of the bunch, but its likely the better day to day with kids.
Aggietaco
AG
Exactly where we're at. Brain says Sequoia, wallet says Sequoia, heart wants 200 series. Even the old lady LX is growing on me.
MTTANK
AG
Aggietaco said:

I'm jealous man, got stuck with a shxt box Navigator because of "looks". Let me guess, her folks own a 10k acre ranch as well.
GIG 'EM
Shane431
AG
Aggie Land Cruiser meet up.
Texas A&M vs. Florida, Saturday. May 6, 2023

Got a hotel room and bringing the wife down. Are we doing any meet ups before the game? Or are we parking in a certain lot before the game.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Parking at Reed arena. Not sure about a designated location. I probably won't go to the game, but I'm gonna swing by before to meet everyone.
'03ag
Aggietaco said:

Exactly where we're at. Brain says Sequoia, wallet says Sequoia, heart wants 200 series. Even the old lady LX is growing on me.
Just get the appropriate mods to get rid of the old lady look.
Complete Idiot
For three years I had an 80 series, then for five years I had a 100 series, and for over half a year now I've had a second gen Sequoia. For 7 of the 8 years I had Land Cruisers my wife drove a minivan (we have 3 kids and they were young) and I had daily driver cars, the SUV was for fun, hauling crap, sweaty kids or sweaty me - I bought them cheap with high mileage. With the kids older my wife eventually wanted out of the minivan and got a small car, so we spent a year with the 100 series as the family road trip car. It worked ok, but 3rd row was hard to get in and seat is 6" off the floor. Only kept one of the third rows seats in so for our trips we still had plenty of room to pack and even the beach trip stuff worked with a hitch rack - but not the biggest interior space for a family of five on longer trips. I had a lot of mods and repairs ame upgrades in the 100, it looked awesome IMO, but it was at 225k miles and getting long in the tooth. Plenty of life left but just little nagging age wear and teAr. Back in September I sold that 2006 100 for 19k and bought a 2012 Sequoia in great shape for 13k. It has four captains chairs so third row easy to get to. To maximize storage I fold down the double third row seat and leave single third row seat - which an adult could sit in much less a kid - up. It's got noticeably more power and acceleration than the 100. Gas mileage is still terrible but over 1 mpg better than 100. Tows better than the 100. I think it rides very well but do miss the hydraulic suspension on the 100 for sure. Miss the cool factor of the Land Cruiser. Not as many mods for a Sequoia and while not ugly the 100 series looks light years better to me. I did off-road in the Land Cruisers, but very rarely and to be honest the Sequoia could probably do everything I did in the Cruisers, I was not daring, provided it wasn't too wide. All in all, the Sequoia is a much better fit for the family at this moment.

If comparing to a 200 series then I would say price (not just purchase but gas and maintenance) is heavily in Sequoia's favor. Cool factor and looks in the 200's favor (imo, it's subjective). resale values good on all. build quality good on all. Sequoia is quite beefy but everything feels a bit more solid on the 200.

It all comes down to family use case, budget, and a lot of subjective preferences. I loved owning Land Cruisers, got attention and conversations from strangers that the Sequoia will never draw. But, I've been impressed with the Sequoia. Just got back from Big Bend this past weekend, family was comfortable, running 90 mph on I-10 or on dirt roads in Big Bend (but I did miss the AHC!)
Aggietaco
AG
Great thoughts, thanks.
Naveronski
AG
You can add lockers and 37's to a sequoia!

Complete Idiot
Naveronski said:

You can add lockers and 37's to a sequoia!

Tandem off-road does a lot of mods to Sequoias right here in Texas, but to me it's not a mod vehicle. I have slightly bigger tires and slightly offset wheels for a more square look, but doubt I'll do more. Haven't even taken step rails off since without a minivan in the family it will sometimes transport an elderly grandparent. Such is life.
Guitarsoup
AG
Grabbed those little step things that clip to the door latch. They don't stay super still on there, but with the lift and tires, it lets me reach way farther on the rack than stepping on the slider.
Centerpole90
AG
On the baseball game - since I floated this, I'll lay out how I had imagined it and open it up for suggestions or corrections from the group. Just remember, good suggestions makes you the leader and in charge (winkie).

What I had in mind was a loose hangout in the corner of Reed parking nearest Blue Bell where we could all visit, see each others rigs, and (for those who wanted) take in some Aggie Baseball. The thought was we would be close, there would plenty room to spread out and see each others rides, yet not compete for game parking.

Game time and weather are the biggest factors in how it goes. They were both variables until recently, however, I see the game time is posted now and it's at 5:00 pm. So one is known.

I am 6hrs from Aggieland, so barring some unforeseen circumstance that prevents my attendance, I will be there late Friday night, haul home on Sunday. I think the game time has biggest impact on everyone who might day trip. Houstonians - what works best for y'all? Gathering earlier in the day, a tailgate of sorts, and then break up into going to the game or heading home?

If it's a tailgate party - we are all overlanders , right? There should be enough cooler racks, camp chef hardware, dometics, and 270* awnings between us to make a hell gathering….
aggiepaintrain
AG
Powder coated some 06/07 wheels
Tinted windows
Parking at Reed is $5 I believe
Streetfighter 02
AG
My plan is to come up on Saturday and stay the night so game time won't affect me. Considering a later game I may look at booking a surf session at Waco Surf on the way down. Unsure if I'll be solo or not. It will take me 3 hours or more in the cruiser to get there.
cruiserag2020
2 hours away and plan on coming Saturday with my son for an early tailgate under all the awnings and then go to the game.

Ive got a RTT...think they'll have an issue camping overnight at Reed?
Woods Ag
AG
about 10 hours away.

We'll either take a long weekend and visit family in Houston on Friday and come up Saturday morning, or leave Friday after work and stop half way.

I can't say 100% I'm in bc of quite a few moving parts. My 3yo and I are about 70% and I'd say my wife is about 40%.
'03ag
Y'all gonna camp in the parking lot or what?
JB
AG
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-1998-lexus-lx-470-4x4-landcruiser/7609290991.html

Yall seen this one? Its been floating around CL and Marketplace for several week and I figured it would be gone at this point. Looks like it has some ugly Tundra takeoffs, maybe some damage on front right andrear right, but miles are decent. Wouldn't take much to clean up
Naveronski
AG
Guessing frame rust or similar.
reddog90
AG
I'm coming from Houston and it will just be a day trip for me, not going to the game.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Anyone know where I can find a replacement JDM dashboard for a 1990 80 series, or a spot to have mine refinished? I just made some big time orders on Amayama, PartSouq, and FitInPart. Between those three, I've just about got a replacement part for every inch of this thing…except for that dashboard.
Shane431
AG
Centerpole90 said:

On the baseball game - since I floated this, I'll lay out how I had imagined it and open it up for suggestions or corrections from the group. Just remember, good suggestions makes you the leader and in charge (winkie).

What I had in mind was a loose hangout in the corner of Reed parking nearest Blue Bell where we could all visit, see each others rigs, and (for those who wanted) take in some Aggie Baseball. The thought was we would be close, there would plenty room to spread out and see each others rides, yet not compete for game parking.

Game time and weather are the biggest factors in how it goes. They were both variables until recently, however, I see the game time is posted now and it's at 5:00 pm. So one is known.

I am 6hrs from Aggieland, so barring some unforeseen circumstance that prevents my attendance, I will be there late Friday night, haul home on Sunday. I think the game time has biggest impact on everyone who might day trip. Houstonians - what works best for y'all? Gathering earlier in the day, a tailgate of sorts, and then break up into going to the game or heading home?

If it's a tailgate party - we are all overlanders , right? There should be enough cooler racks, camp chef hardware, dometics, and 270* awnings between us to make a hell gathering….

I'll be there with drinks and I got tix to the game! It's a great excuse for the wife and me to go to a game.
cruiserag2020
'03ag said:

Y'all gonna camp in the parking lot or what?

I'm thinking about it
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rjZRPejx/2014-toyota-land-cruiser

Sold for $58k. Wish I would have seen this one in time.
Woods Ag
AG
Brought the LC into Toyota and it's gonna be an arm and a leg to get her back in good shape.

What did I get in to?!? I'm 30k into this damn thing before I ever get it on a trail. It's about to be 30k and a wife if I keep at it.
JB
AG
To a dealership? Yeah, they do specialize in overcharging for repairs
reddog90
AG
I prefer to make it a slow bleed and keep the wife. Your truck is looking great though.
Woods Ag
AG
I'll tone it way down after this... Interior/seats gonna have to wait a bit. Let me win some brownie points, sell a few jobs, try to rebuild the "fun" account..

Looking forward to this meet up. I don't have a RTT but I can pitch a backpacking tent in the parkinglot and me and m boy will camp out with yall if they let us.
Centerpole90
AG
You anywhere near Navasota, millican ?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yep. Millican.
Centerpole90
AG
HA. #spotted

I met you this afternoon on 2154 just out of Nav. I drove a while then called reddog to ask the probability of there being two yellow RHD 80s around. We agreed it was pretty low.

Rig looks nice.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Yeah. I live right off 2154. My wife's grandparent's ran a dairy farm in Millican, and we got the place when they passed. Spent a little over a year gutting, remodeling, and adding on. Plenty of space for privacy, and just close enough to town for convenience.
Centerpole90
AG
Small world. I was in CS for meetings and got a late start home yesterday. I went by and hugged my son at The Barracks before leaving town, then decided at the last second to just keep on heading that direction toward Hempstead and 59 instead of the usual hwy 60 to 77. Boom. Texags meetup of sorts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.