Landcruisers

516,185 Views | 3492 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by TxAg20
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can see a fair amount of surface rust but nothing concerning, and compared to my old 80 it has near-zero rust. The main things I would wonder about is if it has seized the parking brake and if the spare tire (which is missing obviously) pulley/bracket can still be raised and lowered. It's not rust free but it looks OK to me. An after market bumper like the one from 4x4 Labs would replace that rear bumper cross member, which is where the most rust is.
Cuterebra
AG
Username does not check out. Thank you.
reddog90
AG
tamu05ag said:

Anyone know much about the Elite Landcruiser company out of Katy, TX that does complete rebuilds?
Not much other than most of the builds they do are non us-spec trucks and $$$.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Cuterebra said:

Any opinions on the severity of undercarriage rust on this fzj80?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-toyota-land-cruiser-8/

That rig was not worth $15k to me, too much rust.
I've seen one with 50k bring $40k+ and it was perfect with no rust. Someone paid way too much for a rusty green LC. I sold a 97 Sage Anniversary unlocked with 116k for $28500; it put that green one to shame.
FJB
Cuterebra
AG
Yeah the BaT 80 quickly went beyond my budget for what it is. Would pay $30 plus for a nicer one though.

The search is fun though.
Complete Idiot
I can't believe how much that sold for, while the rust wasn't that bad at that price it better have zero.

In 2014 I bought a '96, triple locked with sliders, ARB front bumper, and OME lift kit for $3500.
ac04
my dad just sent me this picture of his 2020 heritage. trying to figure out how to get him to give this to me, no ideas so far.

tamu05ag
That heritage version is very nice! I thought it only came in gold wheels, I definitely prefer without the gold. Was that a change he made after purchase or had the dealer swap it?
Aggietaco
AG
tamu05ag said:

That heritage version is very nice! I thought it only came in gold wheels, I definitely prefer without the gold. Was that a change he made after purchase or had the dealer swap it?
Those are the Sequioa TRD pro wheels, the LC heritage wheels are the same, just in gold. Looks like the dealer swapped them?
D&C 2002
AG
Trying to get some attention for this 2005 LC that we have for sale. Wife brought home a newer LX570 and the garage is pretty crowded.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3110421

Complete Idiot
D&C 2002 said:

Trying to get some attention for this 2005 LC that we have for sale. Wife brought home a newer LX570 and the garage is pretty crowded.

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3110421

I just posted the ad on the Land Cruiser forum ih8mud.com

What did you tow with yours? About to tow a travel trailer with mine for the first time.
D&C 2002
AG
Thanks! We had it listed on there but no problem with more exposure!

We had a small 16' ultralight travel trailer that we towed a few times with it until we decided we needed a bigger truck and trailer. The LC did ok but we wanted to go on longer trips further away from home.
D&C 2002
AG
Consider adding the Air Lift rear air spring kit if you think this will be your tow vehicle, long term. Really takes the float out of the front end and makes for a much more comfortable ride when towing. The kit is pretty cheap but it's a PITA to install, especially if you don't have a lift. I paid another $200 to have mine installed and it was totally worth it.

You'll also need to add a trailer break controller. I think I also needed an extension cord to get it mounted where I wanted it. Worked out slick to pull out the ash tray, plug in the controller and tuck it in the ash tray hole. No new holes or anything to hit your knee on.
Complete Idiot
Thanks for the tips! I am going to push the limits of the Land Cruiser, it's a 25' trailer weighing in at 5000 lbs dry. I don't think it will be an easy tow, but our plans are 3 hour drives or less for this. I do have the VVTi engine, with headers and aftermarket exhaust, so I think power will be acceptable. I have a prodigy brake controller, went with Timbren "bump stops" instead of air bags for now, and have load range E tires which I'll add air to for stability. Also have a top line anti sway and weight distributing hitch. I'll be just under recommended GCWR limit. My main concern right now is tongue weight as I may be pushing that limit both on vehicle's hitch and on GVWR.

Any bites on the LC yet?
D&C 2002
AG
You'll be fine. Just keep it at 60-65 mph or slower if you have a cross wind. The wind resistance and cross winds seem to be as much of a factor as weight. You'll need gas about every 2 hours so plan stops, if you can. Expect about 6 MPG.

Yeah, we've had a few bites. Thanks again for the help!
aggiepaintrain
AG
Here's another 05 for sale

https://collegestation.craigslist.org/cto/d/wellborn-2005-toyota-land-cruiser/7126946152.html

I'm negotiable , probably one of the nicest on the market
MTTANK
AG
Dude, what are you selling this thing for already? You going back to 80's?
GIG 'EM
Guitarsoup
AG
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-lexus-lx-4/

Wrong badge, but looks nice
Furlock Bones
AG
assuming since it is not mentioned, it does not have the factory locker option?
aggiepaintrain
AG
pretty sure that is standard equipment on these
nevertheless here's a pic
Furlock Bones
AG
that's the center diff. but, looks like early in the 100 series run, Toyota got rid of the rear locker option.
aggiepaintrain
AG
So they are not available past 2002, are you interested in a seeing it?
Complete Idiot
D&C 2002 said:

You'll be fine. Just keep it at 60-65 mph or slower if you have a cross wind. The wind resistance and cross winds seem to be as much of a factor as weight. You'll need gas about every 2 hours so plan stops, if you can. Expect about 6 MPG.

Yeah, we've had a few bites. Thanks again for the help!
I measured my tongue weight, at the trailer coupler, at around 700 pounds - high! I towed the trailer about 4 miles to my house with no weight distribution or anti sway hitch and it certainly didn't feel great. I was towing it home to install the ProPride 3P hitch I had bought used from someone, that install took a couple half days of work to complete. Towing it back the same few miles to storage felt better as far as bounce and movement but because the new hitch is so long my safety chains and power/brake line aren't long enough and I need extensions. So I drove slow and haven't really done a full test yet. Hoping to get the extension on as well as tow mirrors and then go camping about 50 miles away in 3 weeks.
meggy09
AG
Furlock Bones said:

that's the center diff. but, looks like early in the 100 series run, Toyota got rid of the rear locker option.

99 was the only year.
Furlock Bones
AG
meggy09 said:

Furlock Bones said:

99 was the only year.
yep, for some reason, i thought they lasted much longer into the 100 series run.
MR Gadsden
Found a 1986 FJ 60 for sale. It's in pretty rough shape on the inside and it hasn't been started in 4 years. They are asking 10k, which I think is high. Thoughts?

MR Gadsden
Helped the seller get the LJ 60 pictured above started. Just took some fuel in the carb. Here's a link to a video of it running.

My wife says I can't buy it unless I'm will to sell my FJ 55. Im going to try and use the same logic the next time she wants to buy another horse.
Centerpole90
AG
An off-TexAgs acquaintance sent me a FB link to a 60 in San Marcos yesterday - hours old- Hasn't run in a while, interior disassembled but complete, zero rust. $5,500. I messaged back "LET'S GOOOOO". But too late. Guy wouldn't reply and as was gone within a couple hours. She was gone, probably before we saw the ad. With a little work it would have been $15k+ ride.

Tell your wife that to truly cruise the land you have to have the whole set.
TxAg20
AG
The old Land Cruiser market is getting ridiculous. I can't believe clapped out 60s are worth $10K+.

A guy that lives a few blocks away has a 60 in his driveway that hasn't moved in a few years. Maybe I should see if he wants to sell.

A guy behind me has an fzj 80 he daily drove up until a couple months ago when he got a new Tacoma. He mentioned he needs to sell the 80, but my oldest kid has 8 more years until he's driving and I'm pretty happy with my 200.
MR Gadsden
I'll hold on to the 80 for you for 8 years if you need a place to store it.
MR Gadsden
I think I have her convinced when the Yukon XL dies we should get a bigger newer cruiser as our daily driver so I'm not going to press my luck on this one. Of course the Yukon only has 86,000 miles so I may be waiting a while.

Oops that was supposed to be a reply to CP.
TxAg20
AG
I just realized the 60 you posted above is the one in my neighborhood that hasn't moved in years. It has a for sale sign on it as of this morning. I was out of town for a few days, so I'm not sure when they put the sign on it.
MR Gadsden
You're in old Midland area? That one is on Harvard.
Corps_Ag12
AG
MTTANK said:

Dude, what are you selling this thing for already? You going back to 80's?
Because he's actually a dealer & won't buy an ad.
TxAg20
AG
Yes. I'm on Princeton.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.