Landcruisers

520,037 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by AgCMT
Jrod05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CP- here is a guy selling some parts has an intake manifold.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/d/fj40-parts/6606815349.html

I am really tempted to buy the motor.
Centerpole90
AG
I need to check and see it fits my 78 2F. Were manifolds different?
Jrod05
AG
dang I forgot it was a 78 I thought 73 and was too lazy to research. my bad.
Centerpole90
AG
I appreciate the thought. Keep it in mind when looking for your parts. I look too.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
cclearman said:

Just saw a late model in China with
G.X.R and V6
Rear Badging

No way it's really a V6 right?

A 200, yes. It uses the 4.0L V6 in the Prado.

They pay tax on engine size there.
drumboy
AG
Just saw this in my Land Cruiser trolling time; with I had the jack/space/time.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2007-toyota-land-cruiser-4x4/6624045608.html

AustinCountyAg
Can someone explain to me the difference between a land cruiser and a Lexus gx? They seem like the exact same vehicle to me. Why the large increase in price with the LC?
GAC06
AG
The LX is the comparable Lexus. The GX is a midsize SUV. The Land Cruiser and LX are full size.
AustinCountyAg
That's what I meant. What separates the two to justify the price difference?
aggiepublius
AG
The LandCruiser (80/100/200 series) is the equivalent to the LX series (450/470/570) in the Lexus.

The LandCruiser Prado (120/150 series) is not sold here in the North America under Toyota badging. In North America, they only sold it under the Lexus brand.

All of them are only built at the Tahara plant in Japan.

GAC06
AG
The LX is more expensive than the LC. It has more luxury options.
Complete Idiot
AustinCountyAg said:

He is saying the GX is not based on the Land Cruiser, it is based on a Prado (smaller, less bling - midsize). The LX series is based on the Land Cruiser and is the comparable vehicle.

A LX is sometimes less than a Land Cruiser on the used market, even though they were more expensive when new. I think many are deadset on owning the Land Cruiser model and there was fewer of them sold, so they retain value even more than the Lexus equivalent. It's a bit odd to me.
aggiepublius
AG
There is definitely a "badge tax" for used LC's versus the same model LX. About 2x as many 100's were sold in North America as Lexus's instead of Toyotas.

So supply and demand is part of it. Some folks also feel the Lexus had more electronic niceties inside that could break in the future, so they prefer the LC that were more of a base setup.

Complete Idiot
aggiepublius said:

There is definitely a "badge tax" for used LC's versus the same model LX. About 2x as many 100's were sold in North America as Lexus's instead of Toyotas.

So supply and demand is part of it. Some folks also feel the Lexus had more electronic niceties inside that could break in the future, so they prefer the LC that were more of a base setup.

Yup, and I was part of the problem - I was deadset on a 100 series with the Land Cruiser badge and not the LX470 badge. Not very logical, but thats what I wanted. A friend of mine just went the LX470 route to get his daughter a first car, there were quite a few more options if considering the LX's. Not only were they a bit more high end when new, but they are also more likely to have been mall crawlers and owned by wealthy people who take them to Lexus Dealerships every three months and just say yes to any suggested service.
The Wonderer
AG
Complete Idiot said:

AustinCountyAg said:

He is saying the GX is not based on the Land Cruiser, it is based on a Prado (smaller, less bling - midsize). The LX series is based on the Land Cruiser and is the comparable vehicle.

A LX is sometimes less than a Land Cruiser on the used market, even though they were more expensive when new. I think many are deadset on owning the Land Cruiser model and there was fewer of them sold, so they retain value even more than the Lexus equivalent. It's a bit odd to me.
I found this when cross-shopping Expeditions and Navigators. Navigators were almost always cheaper, with less mileage, and nicer features.
TSJ
AG
A slight aside. We bought an 04 gx470 with low miles and one owner last year. Fast forward to now, we received a letter from Lexus saying they have recall on the airbag control module. On start up there is a chance the side curtain airbags and the pretensioners go off if the system doesn't wake up correctly.

We live in CS but need to drop off our dogs in SA at the out-laws. Wife schedules an appointment last Thursday at the Lexus dealer in SA for the recall work. We show up and get a free loaner while the work is being done. We come back a little early and find out the wrong part was in stock and the correct one won't be in till this Tuesday.

So they gave us two choices; we could leave the gx and take a loaner back to CS till it's finished, but no pets allowed or we could drive home and when the part comes in they drive a guy to CS he drops off a loaner, takes the gx back to the dealer and drives home when the work is complete. We are taking option two.

Bottom line, if this is how Lexus treats 14 year-old vehicles that weren't even purchased at this dealer, why would you drive anything else?
AustinCountyAg
TxAg20
AG
TSJ said:

A slight aside. We bought an 04 gx470 with low miles and one owner last year. Fast forward to now, we received a letter from Lexus saying they have recall on the airbag control module. On start up there is a chance the side curtain airbags and the pretensioners go off if the system doesn't wake up correctly.

We live in CS but need to drop off our dogs in SA at the out-laws. Wife schedules an appointment last Thursday at the Lexus dealer in SA for the recall work. We show up and get a free loaner while the work is being done. We come back a little early and find out the wrong part was in stock and the correct one won't be in till this Tuesday.

So they gave us two choices; we could leave the gx and take a loaner back to CS till it's finished, but no pets allowed or we could drive home and when the part comes in they drive a guy to CS he drops off a loaner, takes the gx back to the dealer and drives home when the work is complete. We are taking option two.

Bottom line, if this is how Lexus treats 14 year-old vehicles that weren't even purchased at this dealer, why would you drive anything else?

I bought a new LX570 for my wife from Hoy-Fox in El Paso in 2014. At that time, most dealers only had one or two 570s on their lot and that was the closest one with the color my wife wanted. The closest dealer is Alderson in Lubbock and we've been there a few times for service. My wife has always scheduled service at least a week in advance and always asked for a loaner. She's never gotten a loaner. They have a courtesy shuttle that requires about 45 minutes notice to take you anywhere or pick you up.

Yesterday I had a piece of mail from Hoy-Fox saying they would give me $55,000 for the LX570 and I had a final lease payment of $55,000 coming due. I paid cash for the vehicle and own it. I was a little concerned until I read the fine print that said this letter was based on their records and I may now own the vehicle rather than lease it. That's some Chrysler dealer BS I didn't expect from what I thought was a respectable brand.

I'm still happy with the vehicle, but for every great Lexus dealer there are ones like Alderson and Hoy-Fox.
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BkoMwWHHntu
Complete Idiot
I'm sure this has been posted on this board before, but it blows me away every time. Falls out. Lands on feet. Nonchalantly picks up blanket.

Centerpole90
AG
Do like.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-toyota-land-cruiser-fj-80/6621946455.html

Jrod05
AG
Update- took the 40 out on its maiden voyage.

Had to order new flanges due to the PO using a sledge to get the ujoints in completely ruined the flanges.

Installed old radiator to find out there was a hole in it. Replaced with an aluminum radiator, it ran hot to 240 I shut it down, replaced the thermostat with a 180 degree one and it ran to 220. Then mocked up some aggie engineering to fix a shroud out of cardboard then built it out of aluminum and now it runs at 195-200 range all day. The 350 and 3 speed makes a lot of power I basically start in 2nd the entire time. Kids had a blast running it to the mailbox. Ran it long enough to know I now have to put in a power steering pump as fluid is flowing out of the pulley and bearing.

Putting the hood and seats in it next weekend.

Mock shroud yes it's redneck and yes it worked

Custom seat
Centerpole90
AG
Heck yeah! That looks great.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I fully support rotomolded-cooler-based drivers seats.
Deats99
AG
Miss my 80 that I bought on Texags 13 years ago. Someday....
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
reddog90
AG
I really want this.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/78-fj40-survivor-from-norcal.1049695/
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Do like.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-toyota-land-cruiser-fj-80/6621946455.html

That's a good looking LC there
Centerpole90
AG
I don't know what the market price is or what it looks like up close - the ad has lingered much longer than I anticipated. Maybe this is a smaller market than I thought.
HBCanine08
AG
Centerpole90 said:

Do like.

Did this ever come in 5 speed manual? If yes, what year did they stop with the manual transmissions?
AG
Not on this continent
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I emailed the guy out of curiosity on this one. My FIL has a 77 and I've looked at some of those but don't really want to dive into a huge project with a 3mos old at home, but this looks interesting... I've got an email out to him with a list of questions on the work he did.
Jrod05
AG
Do it. I would have paid 9k for that.
reddog90
AG
Jrod05 said:

Do it. I would have paid 9k for that.
You mean 19? He originally had it around 19 and I'm actually surprised it's lasted this long with how he's dropped the price. I feel like mechanically sound survivors are pretty rare.
Jrod05
AG
holy crap no clue where I got 9 from must have been the 6 hours on the road.

Its up for 15900. That is still not horrible. Hell I almost have 11k in my PO screwed up pig.
reddog90
AG
**** me i want this in my life

https://instagr.am/p/BltMC-SnglJ

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.