Landcruisers

522,652 Views | 3498 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AgCMT
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's funny, I don't see any pictures.
'03ag
We passed on main. Didn't have time to grab my camera

Luckily I passed them again today. They were headed up Corckscrew while I was on the way down

'03ag
Guy in the blue 40 gave me a gigem. Said he was from San Antonio
Centerpole90
AG
That's cstav86. He posts here! Engineer pass last fall; what a small world

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Obviously I'm biased, but those 80's series just get my stuff right.
Complete Idiot
vmiaptetr said:

Capabilities aside, just based on looks a geared out 80 looks so good to me.

Mine was a little beat up and not fully geared up, but loved the look

'03ag
vmiaptetr said:

They're the sweet spot right now in my opinion. Not too old. Can find some modern systems. Solid axles.

Would love to have one
ILikeTacos
AG

Naveronski
AG
Interesting... need to see it next to the new GX.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm not on board with the hybrid power train, but I am on board with that 27 mpg (according to Toyota website).
Grown Pear
AG
They ended up going with the 2.4L 4-cylinder hybrid.

This is a little underwhelming to me. And it makes the 200-series even more attractive to me now.
reddog90
AG
I was initially very apprehensive about this. But the numbers on paper aren't too far off from the old V8 and it has good torque. And let's remember that Toyota has been building hybrid vehicles since the late 90s and they aren't pushing any boundaries with new battery tech in this new LC. It's growing on me a lot. And I could see room for more variants in size and maybe engine options down the line, especially from the inconspicuous renderings in the background of the release events. I'm eager to see driving videos.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Numbers are good. I do love how all that torque is accessible at only 1700 rpm. Hybrid is just unfamiliar territory for me, but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

Honestly, I think I need to see this thing in person. It's not doing much for me aesthetically.
'03ag
Saw this leaving Silverton
Grown Pear
AG
That's a Land Cruuuuuiser!
Complete Idiot
Huge tracts of Land Cruiser
Grown Pear
AG
Question in regards to rust / surface rust since I'm not used to it at all. All my cars have been new and Texas based, now seeing more from Northern states.
-What is considered no big deal and to be expected?
-What is absolutely no go?
-What should deter me from buying a LC vs don't over react?

Looked at/test drove this 2018 this morning:

drmwvr
AG
I'd pass on that one. Will be harder to maintain or modify down the road with all the corrosion. Be patient, the right one will come along
drmwvr
AG
Same photo on my '10 with 210k miles. I'm down on the coast twice a month and live in Houston for reference.
drmwvr
AG

drmwvr
AG

Grown Pear
AG
ETA - Damn that's a clean undercarriage. Well done

Thank you! The front near the tow hooks definitely scared me off, and some in the engine bay had me worried for long term maintenance and what can't be seen.

I really like the way the 2018-2021 (years I'm considering) look, feel, and drive. It had a whole lot more pep in its step than I figured for such a heavy vehicle. I like your advice about being patient… I can afford to wait for just the right one. Pretty excited to be going this route. FYI - Black Exterior, Tan Interior
drmwvr
AG
Thanks. I'm picking up a White/Brown '19 today with 30k miles. I'll take some similar pics and post for reference. Will try to include in one post!
Aggietaco
AG
Going out of state for that one or a private sale? Don't recall see one that fits in my search.
drmwvr
AG
One hour outside of Houston. Private sale. I think it was originally sold in Brenham.
Aggietaco
AG
Well, where are the pics to fuel my jealously?

My latest target got sold late last week.
drmwvr
AG

Aggietaco
AG
F yeah, congrats.
Centerpole90
AG
I drove MrsCP to Port Mansfield for some grilled flounder tacos last Saturday night and when I pulled out of the house I noticed the blinkers weren't working. While we were buying a few gallons of gas in town I raked my hands down the fuses and that did the trick; poor contact on a fuse. However, once we left town I noticed the truck running a little rough, and it wouldn't idle at all; but it would run fine with the choke partially pulled out. We made the loop and got home without incident using choke as necessary.

So this week I spent a few spare hours going through all the usual suspects. Maybe the vac advance line had come off the carb base, something that would make it run lean. That wasn't it. I sprayed either all around the intake and carb base looking for a vac leak. That wasn't it. I knew I had a lean condition but I couldn't get past the fact the problem developed all at once - and idling is something this truck does well since the rebuild. Long story short, after I twisted every set screw and adjustment on the carb I finally discovered I inadvertently upset the idle solenoid circuit fuse when I was fixing the blinkers It took me almost as long to put everything back like it was supposed to be as it did to identify the problem.

Furlock Bones
AG
Centerpole90
AG
Sunday morning update: Drove the 40 to work this morning to show the cotton harvesters where we were going to start today. For a while I pointed her into the breeze and left her idling for about 15 minutes while we looked at some other fields, and I came back to a happy 2F ticking away just like I left it.

That was scary. Easily 30% of the long threads on Mud in the 40/43/45 section have to do with carburetors. So I live in fear of something going wrong when it otherwise runs so fine. So many passageways, so many linkages, and so many variations of the carbs - it's hard to find info on one that looks JUST LIKE yours to reference. It's crazy to say it is more mystifying than fuel injection, but having experience with both - it's a toss up at best.

Happy to put her back on the 'Road Ready' side of the ledger.

BoerneGator
AG
Man, that is one big stripper! Hadn't seen the latest technology.

Correction; I see it's actually a picker!
Centerpole90
AG
Yes. They're pickers. These guys are from AZ and they've been picking cotton for almost 20 years here with me; coming to south Texas many more years than that. They have 6 here running on me now, and I think 3 around Nueces Co. We will be getting wrapped up soon and then a couple of these will go to the coastal bend and balance will go straight back to AZ. I know two of them go direct to Yuma where they will have cotton ready about 9/1.
JSKolache
AG
Grown Pear said:

Question in regards to rust / surface rust since I'm not used to it at all. All my cars have been new and Texas based, now seeing more from Northern states.
-What is considered no big deal and to be expected?
-What is absolutely no go?
-What should deter me from buying a LC vs don't over react?

Looked at/test drove this 2018 this morning:

This is no big deal to me. I bought a tundra out of DC and looked very similar to this. This is just from periodic road salt in the winters. I was a bit freaked out when i crawled under the first time, but i hit the frame seams and axles with penetrating oil and a power scrub brush to clean it up. Took about an hour, maybe two. 7 years later, no problems, and still looked better than when i bought it.
reddog90
AG
I'm with drmwvr. While that's not terrible and could be dealt with, I think these trucks are too common to take on one that looks like that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.