*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

237,456 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
WestTexasAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hawk1689 said:

WestTexasAg said:

What do we think of Ibanez?
I think he should have been in the majors two years ago so that we could see if he could hit. Instead we gave those at bats away to guys like Logan Forsythe, Todd Frazier, Derek Dietrich, Brock Holt, and Charlie Culberson. I just don't think he's ever going to get enough at bats to know what he had.
Isn't he getting that now?
KT 90
AG
Sam Huff with a couple of monster bombs last night. Needs to get his slash line in a better spot though, but maybe he is starting to come around.

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/rangers-sam-huff-hits-hits-massive-homers?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

hawk1689
AG
Yes, but he'll be 29 next year with less than 300 AB's. I hope he doesn't get those AB's next year because those should go to Jung, Apostel, Hernandez, Solak, and maybe Foscue. At this point, he's an injury fill in at the most. He was never given the chance to play his prime years in the show, despite putting up numbers in AAA.
WestTexasAg
AG
hawk1689 said:

Yes, but he'll be 29 next year with less than 300 AB's. I hope he doesn't get those AB's next year because those should go to Jung, Apostel, Hernandez, Solak, and maybe Foscue. At this point, he's an injury fill in at the most. He was never given the chance to play his prime years in the show, despite putting up numbers in AAA.
Makes sense. Meanwhile, I think I am sold on IKF at shortstop. Not likely to reach all star level, but consistent hitter and gold glove level defense.
hawk1689
AG
I was a huge skeptic of the move, but he won me over pretty early in the season. If the season ended today, he'd probably win the gold glove.
rbtexan
S
Woodward gives away a win by bringing in Santana.
jtstanley4621
AG
Counterpoint: Woodward brings us closer to the first overall pick by bringing in Santana.

Smile through the pain
Jimmy McNulty
AG
good!
rbtexan
S
jtstanley4621 said:

Counterpoint: Woodward brings us closer to the first overall pick by bringing in Santana.

Smile through the pain
Hopefully he is bringing us closer to a new manager as well...
Grapesoda2525
During a deep rebuild like this where we need good draft picks, I really like these games where we fight hard, give the other team all they can handle, and still get the loss at the end of the day.

The double by Ibanez was fun in the 9th. If it doesn't bounce over the fence, there's a good chance we take the lead going into the bottom of the 9th.
South Platte
rbtexan said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Smile through the pain
Hopefully he is bringing us closer to a new manager as well...
No doubt. He looks and sounds like the AV guy for my church's worship service.

30 games behind Houston.
wbt5845
AG
We're below Pittsburg and close to catching Arizona, but DAMN is Baltimore ever going to win another game? 18 game losing streak? That's getting historic - tied for 16th longest in MLB history right now.
alvtimes
Haha Rangers raising ticket prices for 22!!!!! FU .... u charged regular MLB prices for AA ball in 21. Please sell!!!!!! asap!
wbt5845
AG
alvtimes said:

Haha Rangers raising ticket prices for 22!!!!! FU .... u charged regular MLB prices for AA ball in 21. Please sell!!!!!! asap!

They're lowering prices too. And they're keeping prices the same as well.
Grapesoda2525
alvtimes said:

The new stadium shine will wear off after this year. Nearly every ranger fan will have seen the stadium. The front office never does anything of note in free agency and when's the last time our farm system developed a truly great player that's made it to the big league club? Gallo doesn't really count since he's gone and played mediocre while he was here.

These guys don't have a real reason to be raising prices besides just being greedy ****ers.

mosdefn14
AG
My FIL has had premium/next to premium season tickets for 25 some odd years, and while I don't write the checks, it does anger me every time he gets an increase.

Can't blame the Rangers, price elasticity and all. Do you cancel your Netflix because it goes up $1/m, even if you haven't watched it in a few months because there are no decent movies?

What % of the great/good/better than OK seats are season ticket holders? And what portion of those are on auto renew, owned by corporations for client/prospect entertainment? A few extra bucks per game isn't going to make them cancel their tickets - it's an expense they've budgeted for whether or not we have a good team or the seats get used, and they need the tickets available for last minute salesman/client requests.

I think the Rangers know they can raise prices, and most won't cancel but they've increased baseline recurring revenue. Those that do can get re-sold at higher prices somewhere in the future.

Sure sucks for the family that wants take take their kids to the game. It wasn't too long ago you could get 4 seats, 4 dogs, and 4 drinks for less than a trip to Chili's.
Mr Gigem
AG

Quote:

My FIL has had premium/next to premium season tickets for 25 some odd years, and while I don't write the checks, it does anger me every time he gets an increase.
I'm curious to know where his seats are. If they are premium seats, then they have a multiyear commitment with built in annual cost escalators, so there should be no surprise in those increases. There were only 2 other seating areas with increases that were very minimal. Those areas were non-premium seats in the lower seating bowl where secondary market data showed us that STMs have been able to re-sell their seats for 50% over face value, so I doubt any of those people have issues with a small price increase on their seats

Quote:

Quote:

What % of the great/good/better than OK seats are season ticket holders?

Most

Quote:

And what portion of those are on auto renew
We don't have auto renew. I actually have to call each one of my accounts and process their payment. Or they can go to their account online and do it themselves

Quote:

Owned by corporations for client/prospect entertainment? A few extra bucks per game isn't going to make them cancel their tickets - it's an expense they've budgeted for whether or not we have a good team or the seats get used, and they need the tickets available for last minute salesman/client requests
.We do have a lot of business accounts and corporate partnerships, but you'd be surprised at how many are just individuals or groups of individuals

Quote:

Sure sucks for the family that wants take take their kids to the game. It wasn't too long ago you could get 4 seats, 4 dogs, and 4 drinks for less than a trip to Chili's.
We still have plenty of single game ticket offers throughout the season that make this possible. I think I saw a promo the other for $4 tickets
mosdefn14
AG
Thanks for the updates, interesting to learn some behind the scenes stuff. I'm clearly not getting details straight from the horses mouth.

Don't know where the tickets were at Turnpike. I wasn't in the family at the time.

We were in the first couple of rows in section 33 at the Temple. The way I understand it, he had a pretty sweet contract for a number of years, and then they jumped pretty hard after the world series runs. Got a pretty sweet parking spot through that however.

Moved to 21 in the Barn. It was explained to me that was the best seats we could be in without having to buy a food package. I understand there's a contract for the first X years, clearly it was palatable enough to renew.
Mr Gigem
AG

Quote:

We were in the first couple of rows in section 33 at the Temple. The way I understand it, he had a pretty sweet contract for a number of years, and then they jumped pretty hard after the world series runs. Got a pretty sweet parking spot through that however.
There weren't any contracts in the old ballpark unless you had a full season suite lease. The first couple of rows in section 33 were called Premium Infield, and while they were considered premium seats they did not have any type of contract. Unless of course they were also corporate sponsors and had those seats built into that contract?

Quote:

Moved to 21 in the Barn. It was explained to me that was the best seats we could be in without having to buy a food package. I understand there's a contract for the first X years, clearly it was palatable enough to renew.
Sections 8-20 are the only sections that have contracts, and they do have club access and F&B included, as well as parking. If the seats are outside of those, with the exception of sections 8-12, rows 9-16, then there are no multiyear contracts involved.

The absolute best seats in the lower bowl without a multiyear commitment are 3rd base box (8-12). We are adding dugout lounge access to those seats to provide a little more value
Proposition Joe
The old ballpark had multiyear deals/contracts for resellers.

This is also why people shouldn't support exchanges like Stubhub who get into bed with the primary markets (teams), because all that is going to happen is they are going to use the sales data to squeeze more and more value out of your seats. A&M is using the exact same methods.
Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

The old ballpark had multiyear deals/contracts for resellers.

This is also why people shouldn't support exchanges like Stubhub who get into bed with the primary markets (teams), because all that is going to happen is they are going to use the sales data to squeeze more and more value out of your seats. A&M is using the exact same methods.
Yes, we had and still have a very limited number of ticket partners, and they have strict rules to follow so we can maintain integrity for single game ticket sales, as well as for STMs re-selling their own tickets. I don't know the exact details, but I am pretty sure they have to stay above and below certain thresholds on pricing. And none of our ticket partners have any premium seats.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Love Mr Gigem. Time for my occasional validation of him.

He always brings truth and transparency. He is WAY undervalued and the Rangers will regret him leaving... when he leaves... to make riches.

BTW, I got a LinkedIn notice about the Clippers having a "Director of Technology" position open. Could use Mr. Gigem.

Haha I always appreciate the kind words. And it appears the value I bring to the org is being recognized. Fingers crossed for big time moves in the near future.

I'm never going to bull**** any of you or any of my clients. I'll always tell it like it is. But I stand by this organization and believe it is headed in the right direction. Things are changing internally, so I have to believe what we do externally from here is a product of that.

And I have absolutely NO desire to live in LA.
wbt5845
AG
I will second the kind words towards young Mr. Gigem. He has been a great account executive for me - answering my e-mails at all sorts of odd ball hours because he works 24/7. I work with his dad and he says even when Mr. Gigem is over at his house on a weekend, he's on his phone answering client e-mails. Dude is hard working.
Mr Gigem
AG
ryanhnc10
AG
Taveras is really bad at baseball
KT 90
AG

Quote:

"With the financial flexibility we have moving into the offseason, I expect us to be very active in the free agent market, targeting players who fit kind of our next few years and what we're trying to accomplish," Young said.

Article gives an overview of the Rangers financials and some of the upcoming free agents.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/rangers_gm_chris_young_expects_to_be_very_active_in_free_agency/s1_13237_35694290?utm_source=mb&utm_medium=email&mb_edition=20210826&mb_loc=left_r
wbt5845
AG
Me headed to the suite I'm sitting in tomorrow night.

KT 90
AG
Been busy and not keeping up as much lately, but just stumbled across this. Had never really much heard about Latz.

KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

Me headed to the suite I'm sitting in tomorrow night.

Good for you. Where/which one is it?
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
I don't believe Dahl is still on the roster. Wasn't he DFA'd at the beginning on this month?
vander54
S
Yes he was

He's with the Brewers in the minors
World's worst proofreader
Jimmy McNulty
AG
https://sports.yahoo.com/globe-life-park-renamed-choctaw-153421818.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.