*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,898 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guys who hit well enough arent utility infielders.
gigem1223
Beasley sucked and probably cost Gallo there
Mr Gigem
AG
gigem1223 said:

Beasley sucked and probably cost Gallo there

Understatement. He was ****ing terrible
ChipFTAC01
AG
rbtexan said:

To be clear...I wasn't comparing him to Boggs or Carew.

The point (which you missed) is that neither Boggs or Carew were considered anything near elite defenders, both being merely adequate in the field. Another example was Bill Madlock, all bat/no glove. The point is, that you can be an impact player without being a great defensive player. The league has been littered with them over the years.

I have no idea if this kid will become an elite hitter. He may not. But here's the thing....you don't know that he WON'T. The kid hasn't played a game of pro baseball and you're already writing him off. Here's an idea....why don't you give the kid the opportunity to succeed (or fail) before you implying that this was a wasted/bad pick.
He played in a very good baseball conference in college and was the Pac12 POTY.

You make it sound like we drafted Donald Harris part 2.

There's a "great" comment about Bill Madlock in Seasons in Hell. The first day He shows up at the Rangers Whitey Herzog remarked he was "surprised to see that Bill Madlock us black. Mostly, blacks don't go by Bill, you know. They call themselves Willie."
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
In what world is the Rangers' problem having too many guys who can hit but they are too big a liability defensively?
South Platte
Did he strike out on pitches in the middle of the plate?
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Schall 02
AG
Love this quote. From a Hall-of-Famer-to-be:

Major League Baseball will fudge the rules a bit on Tuesday, allowing Ohtani to effectively serve as two players; even after he leaves the game as a pitcher, he could still get more at-bats as a hitter. His first plate appearance will come against Max Scherzer, who said his Washington Nationals teammates use Ohtani to tease him.

"I still haven't gotten a hit," said Scherzer, who is 0 for 30 this season. "This guy's got 30 tanks and I don't have a hit."
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

In what world is the Rangers' problem having too many guys who can hit but they are too big a liability defensively?
Too soon? You really want me to go there?!

Sure.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
No one is drafting for DH, they are drafting for a plus bat with the understanding that if you can hit, you will find a spot in the lineup. Texas, nor any team really, ever had a "oh Player X is such a liability in the field we just cant seem to get his 30 homeruns into the starting lineup!" problem.

And sometimes that plus bat even finds a good home in the field - reference our former gold glove right fielder.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'd like to give Solak a little more time. He just now hit a full season of playing time
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

I'd like to give Solak a little more time. He just now hit a full season of playing time

I agree. Remember, the point of this season was to determine who is a part of your future. Lowe, IKF, Gallo (if he can be extended), Garcia - yes. Solak - TBD
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Question...

Lowe (26.006)+IKF (26.112)+Solak (26.183)
v
Guzman (26.266)+Andrus (32.321)+Odor (27.160)

Ages listed are current ages which would put Guzman and Odor in 2020 to be younger than Lowe and Solak in 2021.

Are the Rangers better, worse, or about the same in 2021 compared to 2020. This is more about the direction and not personalities of the players.

Personally, I don't know that it is a better lineup other than to say Andrus+Odor looked to be trending down. Their 2021 performance supports all 3 (L-I-S) having a better 2021 and thus moving on from them (G-A-O). I don't think we are any better, but we could have been much worse off keeping them.

I don't know if we're better. But Odor had had enough time to show he wasn't the path forward. Guzman probably the same, but he's hurt and we'll see. Just because they're similar ages doesn't mean they've had the same opportunity to show they belong at the big league level.
Mr Gigem
AG
Also 2020 was a shortened season with limited Spring Training, and a huge gap between said Spring Training and the season starting.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Question...

Lowe (26.006)+IKF (26.112)+Solak (26.183)
v
Guzman (26.266)+Andrus (32.321)+Odor (27.160)

Ages listed are current ages which would put Guzman and Odor in 2020 to be younger than Lowe and Solak in 2021.

Are the Rangers better, worse, or about the same in 2021 compared to 2020. This is more about the direction and not personalities of the players.

Personally, I don't know that it is a better lineup other than to say Andrus+Odor looked to be trending down. Their 2021 performance supports all 3 (L-I-S) having a better 2021 and thus moving on from them (G-A-O). I don't think we are any better, but we could have been much worse off keeping them.

We're evaluating other guys to see if their a part of the future. 99% of ranger fans would agree that odor wasn't the answer at 2nd base.
rbtexan
S
I would absolutely make the argument that you need to knock a year off the perceived age of prospects, not established major league players. Effectively a full year, possibly more, of development time was lost. So guys like Cole Winn, for example, is 21 year old but should viewed developmentally as a 20 year old. That would apply, IMO, to all minor leaguers and even some players who saw limited time in the majors last season.

The covid year and that travesty of a season is such an anomaly that you can't really look at numbers & production from '20 and have a clue as to what it really indicates. Jose Altuve hit .219 in '20, but he's rebounded to .278 this season. J.D. Martinez hit .219 in '20, he's a .299 this year and an all-star. Nick Castellanos hit .225 in '20, he's at .331 this year.

Bottom line, it was a freak season and I would almost argue that the stats & records from '20 should be tossed out (or given the dreaded asterisk).

As it pertains to the Rangers, players who IMO lost extremely valuable developmental time either in the minors or at the ML level, for example, include Solak, Taveres, Allard, Huff, Heim, and Jung. That's not to mention players like Dunning, coming off an injury, who wouldn't be on the ridiculous pitch count limit he's on if he had been able to pitch all of last year.

It's so hard to compare the current situation to other seasons because of how off the charts crazy last year was.
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Also 2020 was a shortened season with limited Spring Training, and a huge gap between said Spring Training and the season starting.
Expand on that... are you saying players in 2021 were limited in development because of 2020, or that comparing a player in 2020 and 2021 don't correlate, especially as it relates to age?
See response for rbtexan
DallasAg 94
powerbelly
AG
I am just glad we are finding out and not trotting Andrus and Odor out there.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
DallasAg 94 said:

powerbelly said:

I am just glad we are finding out and not trotting Andrus and Odor out there.
I wish we were losing more games, so I could go either way. We have too many holes and not enough talent to squabble over the impact those 6 players will have.

The difference between 3rd and 4th worst record for 2020 was Jackson Jobe (HS-P) vs Marcelo Mayer (HS-SS).

Not sure what you're getting at with the highlighted part above.
Both of those players were/are considered top 5 prospects in the draft. Several mocks had Mayer going #1, and I saw at least a couple that had the Rangers possibly taking Jobe at 2. Apologies if I'm missing your point.
Proposition Joe
It's DallasAg94... Excess words and random statistics... any kind of point is just incidental.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
_lefraud_
AG
Angels drafted 20 pitchers...BOLD
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Wow. That is BOLD.

19 College P
8 of which are 4th Yr Sr. Based on CV19, not sure they are all out of College eligibility.

1 HS P

Any speculation on strategy? Plenty of minor league hitters? Resolute to sign FA hitters and focus on developing P? Plan to limit #/scope/cost of players to manage if a CBA lock-out?

Signed college pitchers presumably would continue to throw with their college team.
Angels are always trying to do something. Being stuck in same metro area with the baseball equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys makes you take some risks.
jtstanley4621
AG
wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Wow. That is BOLD.

19 College P
8 of which are 4th Yr Sr. Based on CV19, not sure they are all out of College eligibility.

1 HS P

Any speculation on strategy? Plenty of minor league hitters? Resolute to sign FA hitters and focus on developing P? Plan to limit #/scope/cost of players to manage if a CBA lock-out?

Signed college pitchers presumably would continue to throw with their college team.
Angels are always trying to do something. Being stuck in same metro area with the baseball equivalent of the Dallas Cowboys makes you take some risks.
Just crazy how they've basically squandered Trout's career so far. And they've got an all-time anomaly this season with Ohtani and are still only 3rd in the division.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.