*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,983 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We just don't have the farm system right now to make trades. IMO we should trade Gibson if he continues to pitch like he has. It's nearly the same situation as Lance Lynn last year and Mike Minor the year before. Inject some more talent into the farm system and things look better going forward
powerbelly
AG
rbtexan said:

No, no, no.

This team is in a rebuild mode, and they need to stick to that plan. Too many times this franchise has made trade deadline acquisitions based on fool's gold, and then had the inevitable setbacks.

If the Rangers don't stand pat, then they need to be sellers, not buyers.
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

If they're not confident they can ink him to a long term deal, then no. I don't think there's any realm where this team should be buyers at the deadline this year. Especially for potential rentals.

Forget the confident part, either he agrees to an extension before the trade or just wait until he is a free agent and sign him then. I don't trust JD with "confident".

We don't have the prospect depth to trade for a key player right now anyway. We could trade some low level prospects for someone who is a salary dump, but beyond that we don't need to be making any trades unless we are trading away somebody for top level prospects.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Unless you're contending for a championship, there is no such thing as a "good rental".

What's the point? If this team goes 72-90 or 82-80, they won't be in the playoffs either way. Kris Bryant isn't a player that is suddenly going to get this team into the playoffs. It's a waste of prospects/players to make that trade. All that is, is a give-up move to give the appearance of trying to contend with a team that simply isn't ready to contend.

I'd like to remind everyone that this team, and the players on it, is exactly the same as what we were all crapping all over before the season began. Just because they are currently playing over their heads doesn't mean it's time to scrap the rebuild plan and try to make the playoffs this year. Do that, and it's the same as the A-Rod or Harold Baines acquisitions.

Stand pat, or get rid of the high performing players that are near the end of Ranger's control. Absolutely do not acquire anything other than prospects.
Trucker 96
This is still a rebuild. Stick with the plan and just be thankful they are more entertaining than they could be. And still be willing to flip guys that you don't see retaining beyond 2 years
Grapesoda2525

Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525 said:

I'd trade Gibson if we get a good return and by "good" return I mean a return that 90% of the fan base would be satisfied with.

Kennedy has done a great job so far. Don't give him away per se, but get a decent return because he won't be around by the time this team gets good.

I might want to keep culberson because of the injury to Jung actually. We need to give jung as much time as he needs to get ready and take over and the injury has pushed that timeline back.

Rodriguez, Gallo, and Davis are the only other guys who should be talked about.

My bad. I meant to edit my post and instead replied to it.
rbtexan
S
Maybe somebody would take Jordan Lyles....

Nah, n/m.
gigem1223
Lyles is garbage
KT 90
AG
Rangers 3 for 3 on replay reviews today. So you can just keep challenging as long as you keep winning the challenge?

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think so. It's not their fault if the umpires blow it. Even when you're out though you can request it.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Lyles is garbage

Somehow he made it through 5 innings while only allowing 2 runs. Sborz is in now.

jtstanley4621
AG
Lyles turned in a decent performance today setting aside the walks, but yeah he's just not gonna cut it. Wish there was a young guy we could bring up to put in his place
Grapesoda2525
2 runs in 2 games in SF isn't gonna cut it either. Offense needs to put up a crooked number.
xjrayx
AG
There goes the game on another routine play missed
Mr Gigem
AG
Should be the last time we see culberson at third...
xjrayx
AG
Finally into the bullpen. Nice little opposite field HR from Dahl. He seems to be hitting a lot better recently.
xjrayx
AG
Not even close to a strike there on Culberson
agsalaska
AG
These errors are going to cost us the series.

I just read that Oakland is now looking to move again. I don't understand why the Blue Jays are not doing the same thing. They should leave Toronto for good.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DallasAg 94
powerbelly
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

So, if we start trading pieces... and I admit, we are likely sellers... when does the rebuild become time to compete?

FAs after this season:
Kennedy: 15.0 IP, 2.40 ERA, 0.93WHIP
Khris Davis
Foltynewicz: 40.0 IP, 4.50 ERA, 1.25 WHIP
Lyles
Culberson: .311, 3 HR

1yr remaining
Gibson ($7.7M): 47.1 IP, 2.28 ERA, 1.04 WHIP
Gallo (Arb3 in '22): .221, 6 HR
Joely ($3M): 8.2 IP, 2.08 ERA, 1.15 WHIP

I think we trade Gibson, Kennedy, Gallo, Joely in that order of value we get back.

What are expectations that we'll get in return?

That means we are still rebuilding 2022. That's the problem with the rebuild... you are constantly in a rebuild.

The team should have a timeline for a rebuild. I would expect 2023 to be a season we are targeting to be competitive for the playoffs.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
agsalaska said:

I just read that Oakland is now looking to move again. I don't understand why the Blue Jays are not doing the same thing. They should leave Toronto for good.

And one of the listed landing spots is Montreal. MLB would be beyond moronic if they allowed that.
xjrayx
AG
Would be nice for Joey to tie this one here
xjrayx
AG
Lol shut up you idiot
agsalaska
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

agsalaska said:

I think MLB is pushing Oak to explore leaving. I'm sure with the NHL and NFL now in Vegas... that will be an expected destination for Oak. Vancouver has been mentioned. They likely stay West Coast.

Toronto is too large a city for MLB to abandon.
Toronto has abandoned MLB.

I agree Vegas is a likely scenario for the Athletics.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
agsalaska said:

DallasAg 94 said:

agsalaska said:

I think MLB is pushing Oak to explore leaving. I'm sure with the NHL and NFL now in Vegas... that will be an expected destination for Oak. Vancouver has been mentioned. They likely stay West Coast.

Toronto is too large a city for MLB to abandon.
Toronto has abandoned MLB.

I agree Vegas is a likely scenario for the Athletics.
Cool.. maybe we can actually win road games against the A's if they're no longer played in that sewer of a stadium.
wbt5845
AG
My wife and I like to travel to watch the Rangers in the summer. Houston, Atlanta, New York, Toronto and Seattle have all been fun.

We've never been to Oakland nor will ever go. Vegas? Hell yeah.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We still don't need to be trading any of the things they'll want for anybody worth getting.
jtstanley4621
AG
Please don't make me have to root for a Rangers team with BOTH Kyle Seager and Kris Davis on it
TXAggie2011
AG
Why would they trade for a 33 year old 3rd baseman?
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.