*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,947 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94
WestTexasAg
AG
Trade deadline less than a week away. Seems pretty quiet on the Rangers front. I can't imagine we don't trade Gibson, but maybe not.
rbtexan
S
Trades pick up a day or two before the deadline. It's too soon to get a read on what the Rangers may or may not do.
DallasAg 94
investorAg83
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

Trade deadline less than a week away. Seems pretty quiet on the Rangers front. I can't imagine we don't trade Gibson, but maybe not.
I agree.

I think it has been unusually quiet.

The NL seems to be set, in terms of teams.

The biggest question in the AL has been will the Yankees be buyers. They seem content to let the market play itself out.

Can we agree the return the Pirates got was not that attractive. A utility IF (although the #5 prospect of SDP) and two guys not even in their Top 30 prospects.

Some of you are fine with the "anything is better than nothing," but getting players who can't beat out what you already have and will be buried in depth is dumb.

No it's notnot if you know your chance of resigning the other piece involved that exchange is zero.
DallasAg 94
investorAg83
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

investorAg83 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

I agree.

I think it has been unusually quiet.

The NL seems to be set, in terms of teams.

The biggest question in the AL has been will the Yankees be buyers. They seem content to let the market play itself out.

Can we agree the return the Pirates got was not that attractive. A utility IF (although the #5 prospect of SDP) and two guys not even in their Top 30 prospects.

Some of you are fine with the "anything is better than nothing," but getting players who can't beat out what you already have and will be buried in depth is dumb.

No it's notnot if you know your chance of resigning the other piece involved that exchange is zero.
Username definitely doesn't check out.

You have money in a Fund and it has been your highest performing stock, but they are going to close the Fund in Oct 2022.

You have the choice of a) riding the existing Fund for 15 months or pulling your money and b) distributing it among 3 existing dogs that will never have a return but has high maintenance fees chewing into your asset, or c) putting that money on Red in Vegas (Util FA)...

You'd be better off betting Red than getting 3 dogs.

Lol Do I really need to point out how grossly inaccurate your analogy is?
rbtexan
S
So if I'm following DallasAgs takes:

* the Rangers shouldn't trade Joey Gallo unless they get a ridiculous haul of prospects for him (won't happen)

* if the Rangers say they're trying to extend Gallo, it means they really aren't and they're trying to drive up his trade value (which it won't)

* if the Rangers keep Gallo it doesn't matter because the rest of the team is so bad

* if they extend Gallo, it will be too much money because he strikes out too much and hits for a low average

* they should hold onto a 33 year old pitcher who will NEVER BE WORTH MORE than he is now, because if we trade him we won't be good next season (won't be good next season anyway)

* the Rangers should hold onto a 36 year old closer, because of all the things a 100 loss team needs, it's a guy who can get saves (which is moot when you rarely win)

You're really all over the map and I find it very difficult to understand what exactly you are thinking. The Rangers clearly think the nucleus of their future is their AA team, and probably Foscue as well (your "Solak starter kit" is hitting .318 for the season with a OBP over 400, a slugging % of .800 and an OPS of 1.210). The rotation there has been outstanding, and the team was the first AA team to 40 wins this season.

That's where the future of the Rangers is, not guys like Gibson & Kennedy. Keep Gallo & extend him if you can get a home town discount, and get whatever spare parts you can for Gibson & Kennedy. Because by the time this team is good, they won't be.
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
This is going to be a strange offseason and a buyer's market. I'm for accelerating the rebuild with FA because I think this offseason is a rare opportunity that outside circumstances have created. Normally I would wait another year, but circumstances have set up an unusual opportunity.

I also have a very pessimistic view of what Gallo and Gibson will bring.
rbtexan
S
OK, I understand now. Respectfully disagree. This team won't be ready to compete in '22 IMO.
Mr Gigem
AG
I would expect that Rangers to be in on Trevor Story this off-season

Of course I'm also the one that said our payroll would be 175+ so I guess just take whatever I say with a grain of salt
EastSideAg2002
Any truth to the rumors of trading Gallo and Gibson for cash considerations.
DallasAg 94
alvtimes
my take.... a MLB team should always compete.... this tanking BS should be penalized.... if ownership decides not to field a competitive team, MLB steps in on behalf of the fan and slashes ticket prices.
DeangeloVickers
AG
We're about 14 players away from competing
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
What is the earliest guys like Winn, Ragans, and Crouse could get called up and not completely ruin their careers?

I'm going to assume we extend Gallo, but trade Gibson, Kennedy, and possibly one other reliever.

Build a team around

1B - Lowe
2B - Ibanaez
3B - Jung/Story
SS - IKF
LF - Calhoun
CF - Garcia (is this year an anomaly?)
RF - Gallo
C - Trevino/Huff

SP - Leiter, Winn, Ragans, Crouse, maybe some other veteran. Maybe Hearn figures it out

RP - Hernandez and Leclerc back from injuries. Martin, Rodriguez

Does this look like a 2023 team? Somebody redline this
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
I just don't think Gibson is going to be as good as he's been this year. He's never been this good. Trust me I want him to be, but just don't know. Baseball is weird
Proposition Joe
alvtimes said:

my take.... a MLB team should always compete.... this tanking BS should be penalized.... if ownership decides not to field a competitive team, MLB steps in on behalf of the fan and slashes ticket prices.

Much of it could be solved simply by allowing the trading of draft picks. Bad teams could get better a lot faster.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
They're not getting a lot of innings by design. They're trying to compensate for the lost COVID year by not over-taxing young arms. They'll be back up to a regular pitching pattern next season.

That said, none of them should be ready for '22, you're looking at '23 most likely. And I completely disagree with your characterization that Perez & YoMen were more highly regarded than the pitchers you mentioned. About the same maybe.
DallasAg 94
Schall 02
AG
https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2021/07/27/texas-rangers-appear-to-be-inching-closer-to-deals-with-2021-draft-picks-jack-leiter-aaron-zavala/
vander54
S
The Rangers took the lead on a Gallo 3 run HR
World's worst proofreader
DallasAg 94
Disco Stu
AG
powerbelly
AG
Rocker may have elbow issues that are giving the Mets pause.
Mr Gigem
AG
vander54
S
Offical

DannyDuberstein
AG
powerbelly said:

Rocker may have elbow issues that are giving the Mets pause.

Given his ups and downs this spring, can't say that this is surprising news
DallasAg 94
gigem1223
Lots of rumors of Gallo to the Padres and us taking on Hosmer's contract to get better prospects

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.