*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,878 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
TV Casualty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Have we talked about Sarah Merrifield and her attempt to broadcast in man sports voice? I kind of feel like on the field isn't the only place they decided to tank

Saw her profile on one of the dating apps. I didn't get a match.
Grapesoda2525
TV Casualty said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Have we talked about Sarah Merrifield and her attempt to broadcast in man sports voice? I kind of feel like on the field isn't the only place they decided to tank

Probably was a catfish anyway.
hawk1689
AG
TV Casualty said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I think she's cute, but the man voice would be hard to get past.
TV Casualty
AG
hawk1689 said:

TV Casualty said:

DannyDuberstein said:

I think she's cute, but the man voice would be hard to get past.

She didn't sound like that when she was doing segments for the Stars. It seems like she leaned into it when they started having her anchor the Rangers pre and post game show this season.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hahahahaha
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG

Saw an article today about the Indians extending their lease at Progressive Field and it commented about it being one of the "older stadiums in baseball". I was thinking "gee didn't it open the same time as Globe Life Park" and everyone howled about how new it was.

So I pulled together the following info about stadia and yeah - if GLP were still open, it would be the 11th oldest stadium in all of baseball.

From 1999 to 2010, 14 stadiums were built (almost half of baseball). All were grass. Think of this as the "golden age" of classic ballparks.

Since 2010, only three stadiums were built - two with artificial surfaces and retractable roofs, one throwback.

There are eight covered MLB parks. They generally exist in places where (1) the elements would cause too many games to be delayed or (2) it is unbearably hot in the summer.

Early season too cold - Toronto, Milwaukee
Too much rain - Seattle, Tampa
Too damn hot - Arlington, Houston, Phoenix
Too much rain AND heat - Miami

It's worth noting that Seattle is only covered, not climate controlled. And it is only closed for rain. So it's closed a lot. I can attest that it rains in Tampa, at least briefly, damn near every afternoon.

Of these, probably Milwaukee has the weakest claim to needing a covered stadium as two other nearby franchises do just fine outdoors. I'd guess Miami is the next most questionable.

So who needs a new stadium? Obviously, Tampa and Oakland jump out a you. But assuming the oldest three plan never to move, the Angels and Kansas City are next up. I have been in both these and yeah the Angels stadium is a dump. KC has renovated Kaufmann numerous times and it's quite nice. They may view it as their own Dodgers Stadium that got it right the first time and can just be updated. Toronto is another stadium which I've been too and it's pretty dated and dumpy.

Next up for wanting a retractable roof stadium, I would guess, using the above criteria (ignoring Atlanta since they just recently chose to deal with the heat):

Too cold - Colorado, Chicago White Sox, Toronto
Too much rain - None really jump out at me
Too hot - Kansas City
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
TV Casualty
AG
wbt5845 said:

Early season too cold - Toronto, Milwaukee

Of these, probably Milwaukee has the weakest claim to needing a covered stadium as two other nearby franchises do just fine outdoors.

Next up for wanting a retractable roof stadium, I would guess, using the above criteria (ignoring Atlanta since they just recently chose to deal with the heat):

Too cold - Colorado, Chicago White Sox, Toronto

I've been to the Brewers stadium, but the roof was closed. It's an alright park, but I just don't like indoor baseball.

I did go to a Cubs game in early April and it was definitely cold. People were all drinking coffee and hot chocolate instead of beer. I still really enjoyed it though. Day games at Wrigley are just awesome all summer. I'll spend the whole the day out there.

I really can't see the Rockies needing a roof. Sure you might get some snow in April, but usually the weather is perfect. Even the hot days of summer aren't bad since you have the low humidity. Once the sun gets past the mountains it cools off quick. Not a lot of rain to impact games either. Coors field is about as perfect a weather setup as you are going to get.
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, I love Coors field except for - well, the Coors.
TDub
AG
wbt5845 said:

well, the Coors.

Terrible take there
Ornithopter
AG
There are many better options for beer than Coors at Coors.

Also, sit on the 3B side to avoid sun in your eyes.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
Post ASB, the Rangers tank has really gone into full swing. I'm hoping for the #1 overall
rbtexan
S
I watched over half the game last night. The hitting didn't look great, but we were up against arguably one of the better pitchers in the league, so that factors in.

I'm optimistic about our chances to tank at this point, because the next 15 games or so is a pretty brutal stretch....after the As we have the Mariners and then the Red Sox....all 3 teams have winning records. I think 1 of 3 is likely the best case in all three of those series.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Oh, I don't think we're getting the #1 pick, I think that's out of reach. I meant that I don't think the Rangers are going to go on some sort of fluke winning streak to get us out of the top 3 or 4.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Texas was 10 games ahead of them at the ASB. That has shrunk to 4.5 in a little over 3 weeks. It is absolutely possible. Arizona has actually been playing semi-decent baseball. I think they are 9-10 since the break .
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Texas was 10 games ahead of them at the ASB. That has shrunk to 4.5 in a little over 3 weeks. It is absolutely possible. Arizona has actually been playing semi-decent baseball. I think they are 9-10 since the break .

To me the pitching is what's gonna get us back in the running for first overall. It is truly a bunch of spares
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, it's a brutal group. And no more Gibson every 5th day, no more Kennedy to protect a slim lead, and no more Gallo to have a few hot weeks/month. They've made up serious loser ground on all of the other losers since the break and are primed to sustain it.
wbt5845
AG
Folty up and gave us a quality start last night. Dude normally looks like he's just tossing BP. Then the whole bullpen chipped in and was good - until we got all the way down to Herget, who sucks balls, thank God.

Drew Anderson with his almost double digit ERA rolls out there this afternoon - should be....

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I'm really counting on a Kennedy-less bullpen to **** up the rare good start. Texas has a significantly worse offense, but bad pitching has been Arizona's ace in the hole this year. However, I think the Rangers really leveled that out with their trades
rbtexan
S
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, I'm really counting on a Kennedy-less bullpen to **** up the rare good start. Texas has a significantly worse offense, but bad pitching has been Arizona's ace in the hole this year. However, I think the Rangers really leveled that out with their trades
Joe Barlow has been outstanding and looks like he could be the closer of the future. Patton is JAG, as are most of the other bullpen guys. But I think Barlow is really good.
gigem1223
My goodness what a BOMB by Garcia
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Drew Anderson with his almost double digit ERA rolls out there this afternoon - should be....

I may have underestimated our Pitching.

Gives up 5 runs in two innings. He raised his season ERA like an entire run in one start.

DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
The key will be the 2 games left with AZ and 4 games at Balt. They need their tank in prime form for those series. The rest of their schedule is against reasonably decent teams.
jtstanley4621
AG
Have faith. This in its current form is truly one of the worst pitching staff/bullpen combos ever. We also have next to no offensive firepower to back it up. I am expecting to lose and lose a lot
hawk1689
AG
I'm worried about how we get these games finished if we can't get at least 5 out of the starters a couple times a week.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Oh, I have faith as noted in my posts above. I think they are now the worst team and will cover that ground. Just hoping they dont have a decent week at the wrong time and undo some of that hard work.

As far as how they get these games finished, just rotate thru some disposable arms in the pen, and however long they take to finish, make sure to be on the wrong end

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.