*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,891 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
sburg2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
68-94.

Astros, twins, Yankees WC white sox & Tampa

Dodgers, cards, Braves WC Padres & Nats

ALCS Astros/ yanks

Nlcs dodgers/ Braves

Braves over Astros
KT 90
AG

DeangeloVickers
AG
Tavares...so.glad...Delino seems like an awesome dude...but he's meant for Round Rock...he'd be an awesome coach
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
NL EAST: Braves
NL CENTRAL: Cardinals
NL WEST: Dodgers
NL: WILDCARDS: Brewers, Padres

NL MVP: Fernando Tatis Jr.
NL CY YOUNG: Jacob deGrom
NL ROOKIE: Ke'Bryan Hayes, 3B (Pirates)

AL EAST: Yankees
AL CENTRAL: Twins
AL WEST: Angels
AL WILDCARDS: Rays and YOUR TEXAS RANGERS

AL MVP: Mike Trout
AL CY YOUNG: Lucas Giolito
AL ROOKIE: Bobby Dalbec, 1B (Red Sox)

I just want to be able to crow if the Rangers get lucky and everything falls just right.

WS: Dodgers over Angels in a Freeway Series
KT 90
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Tavares...so.glad...Delino seems like an awesome dude...but he's meant for Round Rock...he'd be an awesome coach

I agree here. If Delino is willing to play in Round Rock then fine, if somebody gets hurt call him up. But we need to see what we have in Taveras and White. We don't need to waste time on below average outfielder that we know has already peaked and is not going to be a part of the longer term future (or heaven help us if he is... ).

KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

NL EAST: Braves
NL CENTRAL: Cardinals
NL WEST: Dodgers
NL: WILDCARDS: Brewers, Padres

NL MVP: Fernando Tatis Jr.
NL CY YOUNG: Jacob deGrom
NL ROOKIE: Ke'Bryan Hayes, 3B (Pirates)

AL EAST: Yankees
AL CENTRAL: Twins
AL WEST: Angels
AL WILDCARDS: Rays and YOUR TEXAS RANGERS

AL MVP: Mike Trout
AL CY YOUNG: Lucas Giolito
AL ROOKIE: Bobby Dalbec, 1B (Red Sox)

I just want to be able to crow if the Rangers get lucky and everything falls just right.

WS: Dodgers over Angels in a Freeway Series

Good call on the Angels. If they get off to a decent start at all, I can see them taking on salary to add some players to the roster to make a run for it. Trout's not getting any younger, and I think they growing tired of the reporters saying he is wasting his career on a non-playoff team. I can see them loading up.

I haven't followed and studied the NL teams enough yet to formulate much of an opinion yet, maybe I'll do that and get some predictions out by opening day.
KT 90
AG
CBS Sports put out its Top 100 MLB Players list.... and you guessed it, not a single Ranger made the list

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/top-100-mlb-players-ranked-for-2021-mike-trout-and-mookie-betts-at-the-top-but-young-stars-not-far-behind/?eid=ef852b5989e8b7d7f9957566eca9df40c925a55ea9f83c71fca2d21545678162&ftag=SNL-04-10aaa0b&ET_CID=153692&ET_RID=38651810

DallasAg 94
toucan82
I would have guessed that Gallo had snuck on there. Typical media bias.
jtstanley4621
AG
Gallo is at least SOMEWHERE in the top 100. Power potential plus defensive ability should place him there. Dumb
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Gold Glove OF with 40 HR potential should have landed him there. However, the Rangers are going g to be/have been forgettable.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Joey Gallo hit .181 last year.

He's MVP of getting out
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
The rangers 2020 MVP was more like an LLVP, Least Least Valuable Player
toucan82
DeangeloVickers said:

Joey Gallo hit .181 last year.

He's MVP of getting out

Our team MVP, Odor, actually made outs at a higher rate than Gallo.
DallasAg 94
alvtimes
yall realize that this mini MVP debate is over guys were sub .200. Feel free to spend your $$$ on the 2021 **** show.... I'll keep mine til owners actually try to win
Mr Gigem
AG
Just let me know when you're ready to look at ticket plans
Mr Gigem
AG
Any season ticket holders here going to be at the exhibition game Monday night?
Schall 02
AG
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31144117/vandy-jack-leiter-follows-no-no-7-more-hitless-innings-win-vs-missouri
TXAggie2011
AG
Odor's runs created/game was 2.4.

That was 7th on the team amongst players with at least 121 plate appearances (that's Todd Frazier). Leodys Taveras was 1st, at 4.8. Taveras was the only guy at or above the league average of 4.5. Any way you cut it, this really is a pillow fight.

The RBI thing is partially a weird quirk of the Rangers lineup. I know Odor hit 6th half the season, but he had 111 baserunners during his PAs. Only Nick Solak had more, and he only had 129. There's been a similar dynamic in previous seasons, too.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
AggieEP
Praying the Pirates over think this and take Kumar Rocker. Leiter looks like one of those guys who is just plain hard to hit. He must have some natural deception because the velocity doesn't jump off the page, but he's been just about perfect so far this year. Knowing the rangers though.... we'll overthink it and take the high upside short stop anyway and hope he's big league ready in 4 years.
jtstanley4621
AG
Would be a good opportunity for our new GM to establish the new era, but I have to say I agree and don't feel all that optimistic about the selection. Can we please just take a few less boom or bust HS prospects?
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00
AG
Televised game today at 2 on fssw
AggieEP
They've pretty much all been disasters. I'm not sure a franchise exists who has missed on every first round pick for 20 years.

Mark Teixeira in 2001 was the last 1st round pick (non supplement round) that was a multi year big league regular for the Rangers. Some of you might be thinking that I'm being too restrictive by only counting guys who were regulars for the Rangers... but if I expand the list to count 1st round picks that became regulars for any other team, that only adds John Danks (2003) and Justin Smoak (2008). So since 2008, the Rangers have missed on every 1st round pick. Not one multi year big league regular. (Joey Gallo and Tanner Scheppers in the supplemental 1st can be counted, so 5 total for Apples to Apples comparison to the numbers I'm about to put below)

For reference the Astros have drafted 8 regulars in the first round since 2001, and Tucker will become the 9th this year with Whitley and Beer becoming 10 and 11 if they get called up and establish themselves.

The Royals have 7

The Brewers have 9

The Phillies have 6

The Cubs have 7

The reality is that the Rangers are just about the worst team at drafting in the 1st round in all of Baseball. Last time we had the number 4 pick in 2015 we passed on Tucker, Benintendi, Fulmer and Happ to take Tate.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The most frustrating aspect of the 1st round bust problem is that there were so many picks that we knew were questionable when the pick was made. I see so many picks where they seemed to outthink themselves or overly focused on one attribute vs just getting ballplayers. WAY too many HS pitchers taken. I've always felt like drafting HS pitchers in the 1st was a really bad risk tradeoff. They've spent 14 first rounders on HS pitchers since 2001. FOURTEEN. And none did dick
AgBQ-00
AG
Watching the game today is kind of strange. I know maybe 4 or 5 guys playing. Did hear they have not let odor know if he has made the team or not.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.