*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,917 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
EastSideAg2002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DallasAg 94 said:

Schall 02 said:

What's Colby Lewis up to? Add him to the coaching staff.

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/team/front-office

Quote:

Special Assistant to the General Manager Colby Lewis

KT 90
AG
He is an Ivy leaguer, most of that interview was GM speak he wasn't going to get boxed into questions he didn't really want to answer definitively. I lol'd at his "that's a good question" line he used multiple times, which usually means he is stalling a bit before he tip toes around the question.

However I do choose to believe him when he said they "are in a good spot and confident that we will get our first round pick signed".
Proposition Joe
Yeah, Jon Daniels interviews for the last decade have been a clinic in not saying the wrong thing. He's not dumb.
DallasAg 94
Corporal Punishment
AG
Another scoreless inning. I think that's 24 now. Finally, a reason to follow the Rangers this season.
Corporal Punishment
AG
6 pitch inning. Very efficient.
KT 90
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Another scoreless inning. I think that's 24 now. Finally, a reason to follow the Rangers this season.

looks like the record is 48, so still a lot of work to do.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Streak is over. Guy looked kind of RE-tarded rounding third.
KT 90
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Streak is over. Guy looked kind of RE-tarded rounding third.

It's been a while since we've scored, was probably a little nervous when he saw that he was being waived home.

Didn't take long for Detroit to retake the lead though.... leadoff hitter answered with a solo bomb to make it 2-1.

South Platte
I don't have much to add except that this franchise is the worst in the history of professional sports.
wbt5845
AG
I know many of us are sweating the Leiter signing because the Rangers could **** up a wet dream.

That being said, the kid really has no choice. Refuse to sign and you (1) lose a year of pay you'll never get back and (2) be one year further away from free agency, when the real money kicks in.

He is not going to move UP in the draft any more than one spot. If the Rangers offer him #1 slotted money, there is no financial reason at all to go back.
Mr Gigem
AG
GET YOUR LOGIC OUTTA HERE
rbtexan
S
To piggy back onto what wbt said, if there is fire behind the smoke that Leiter wanted to go to the Red Sox, that won't happen next year either. So either way, he's going to wind up with a less than stellar team. He also runs the risk of seeing his draft stock tumble if he were to be injured, or have a bad season at Vandy in '22.

I think the Rangers will wind up paying him over slot and getting the deal done.
jtstanley4621
AG
Winn, Crouse and Lieter would give us a pretty good trio looking forward. Crouse is probably the bigger question mark of the three but that would be the best 3 pitching prospects we have had in what feels like a LONG time
rbtexan
S
Don't sleep on Cole Ragans either, he's starting to come on.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Interesting thought, but I don't think the Leiters have the leverage to make that happen. Plus the Rangers would effectively be giving $8 million away, so the return would have to be substantial. I still think he eventually signs, but likely doesn't pitch again this season. He pitched 110 innings this season for Vandy in a lot of high leverage situations.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
vander54
S
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Also, I'm pretty sure if Leiter doesn't sign, the Rangers get a supplemental pick in next year's draft (correct?). So worst case, they will have a high 1st round, supplemental which is in between rounds 1 & 2, and a high 2nd round pick. That's an opportunity to pick 3 top 40 type prospects. Hope he signs, but the silver medal isn't bad either.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Could they try to force a sign-n-trade?

You can't sign-n-trade draft picks regular draft picks.
Proposition Joe
And the NIL does actually offer him significant added leverage. Previously the allure for a player to "just sign" even if its to a bad team is that he started making that life-changing money. Now with insurance combined with NIL he could go back to school for a year and still likely make a nice chunk of change.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
They wouldn't be able to trade him until after the World Series, nor could he be a PTBNL.
rbtexan
S
Man, Folty is horrible.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Woodward needs to go as well. If JD stays, he needs to be removed from all player personnel decisions. This team is historically bad...on track to be the worst team in Ranger's history, even including the first couple of years.
Maybe CY will wind up being a great GM, but we won't ever find out unless he's given some autonomy. And before someone jumps in to defend JD, I'll concede that he has made some great moves in the past.....but the key part of that statement is "in the past". This will be the first time in Rangers history that we've had 5 consecutive losing seasons. Think about that. And that happened under his watch.
jtstanley4621
AG
Yeah JD has totally lost whatever made him successful. I actually feel like Woodward is a decent manager but he's got next to nothing to work. I don't necessarily think that a new manager would be able to wring more success out of a roster with this pitching rotation. Outside of Gibson it's a bunch of spares and then whatever Folty is. Has a near 6.00 ERA. Brutal
jtstanley4621
AG
Truly feel like this might be the worst pitching rotation we have ever had
Ervin Burrell
AG
rbtexan said:

Woodward needs to go as well. If JD stays, he needs to be removed from all player personnel decisions. This team is historically bad...on track to be the worst team in Ranger's history, even including the first couple of years.
Maybe CY will wind up being a great GM, but we won't ever find out unless he's given some autonomy. And before someone jumps in to defend JD, I'll concede that he has made some great moves in the past.....but the key part of that statement is "in the past". This will be the first time in Rangers history that we've had 5 consecutive losing seasons. Think about that. And that happened under his watch.
That's actually hard to believe...which speaks to how sh/tty the franchise has been for the majority of its history.
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.