*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

233,001 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jkag89
WestTexasAg said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

No matter how it turns out I can't criticize this easy to criticize front office because I would have done the exact same thing if I was making the pick.

Really hope his floor is a solid #2. Leiter is already rated as the #40 overall prospect in mlb now. It's also probably a good sign that the Red Sox tried to bully us into not taking him.
What did the Red Sox do?
Marcelo Mayer a high school SS out of California.
Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525
WestTexasAg said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

No matter how it turns out I can't criticize this easy to criticize front office because I would have done the exact same thing if I was making the pick.

Really hope his floor is a solid #2. Leiter is already rated as the #40 overall prospect in mlb now. It's also probably a good sign that the Red Sox tried to bully us into not taking him.
What did the Red Sox do?
There was talk before the draft about leiter preferring to end up with the Red Sox and I think Boston put as much of that crap out there as they could to try and spook us from picking him.
DallasAg 94
powerbelly
AG
Seems like posturing for more money to worst.
AggieEP
Your point on the CBA is exactly why I think the Rangers should be ultra aggressive trying to take on some salary from teams that might be spooked. I sadly agree that it won't happen, but when you have a market filled with spooked billionaires there are deals to be made that can make you better immediately simply be accepting the monetary risk.

Jose Ramirez from the Indians is another name that I'd love to see the Rangers kick the tires on. He's heading towards the end of his deal and the Indians are not likely to be in the market to resign him. This kind of market is the type where you can get a proven player just by being the only one willing to pony up the cash.

I wouldn't mind the Rangers being in on Trevor Story over the winter also.

If the dream of Winn, Crouse, Ragans and Leiter comes true and they all start to perform at the big league level, you better have some bats in the lineup to back them up. Otherwise it's just pissing in the wind.

As an aside, one of my biggest pet peeves is that somehow the owners have convinced fans to value frugality on the part of ownership and make the fans leery of these big deals. These owners are billionaires with F you money, anything up to the luxury tax should be fair game for these guys. I'd rather the Rangers swing big and sign some players to help the big club even if it means eating a fat contract every now and then rather than dream about one of our 16 year old international signings one day turning out to be a stud. (Although we really need to reinject some life into our international scouting as well)
AggieEP
I mean I'm a Rangers fan... but I get wanting to go play for the Red Sox. The first deal will be nice, but the real money is in that first FA contract/extension and being on a winning team does a lot to up the value on that contract.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Quote:

Izaac Pacheco, SS, Friendswood HS (Tx) <- A&M Commit

I'd prefer for this one to continue to slide so that maybe he'll show up in College Station. But that is pretty doubtful I believe.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
I'd assume we went cheap on the 2nd round to have more money for either Leiter or a later round pick. No telling though.... don't really have time to sort through the beat writers updates on Twitter right now.
Proposition Joe
Zavala was favored heavily by the analytic-based rankings.

No way he would have been there for the 73rd pick.
awrollins
DallasAg 94 said:

That is the Rangers I've grown to love.

Rd2
Pitt: 17th ranked player: Solometo, P, HS
Tex: 76th ranked player: Zavala, OF, Oregon (4thyr Jr)
Det: 30th ranked player: Pacheco, SS, HS
Bos: 23rd ranked player: Fabian, OF, Uof Fl

Rangers had the 73rd pick (3rd Rd) and I'm guessing the guy they picked with a #2 pick is likely available for the 3rd Rd pick.

Slot:
2nd pick: $7,789,900
38th pick: $1,952,300
73rd pick: $857,400
103rd: $565,600

Was that to ensure they had enough to sign Leiter? Why would the Leiters try to convince teams (not named Boston) money wasn't an issue and Leiter would go back to Vandy... only to turn around and say he wanted 1.1 money.

We basically gave up our 2nd Rd pick.

Or was he one of the guys that the Rangers found whom everyone will be talking about how great he is?!

Yeah we are talking about a dude that basically hit .400 for Oregon two seasons in a row and walked more than he struck out. I love the pick, whether he's ranked highly by mlb.com or not.
Grapesoda2525
awrollins said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Rd2

Rangers had the 73rd pick (3rd Rd) and I'm guessing the guy they picked with a #2 pick is likely available for the 3rd Rd pick.

Slot:

Was that to ensure they had enough to sign Leiter? Why would the Leiters try to convince teams (not named Boston) money wasn't an issue and Leiter would go back to Vandy... only to turn around and say he wanted 1.1 money.

Or was he one of the guys that the Rangers found whom everyone will be talking about how great he is?!

Yeah we are talking about a dude that basically hit .400 for Oregon two seasons in a row and walked more than he struck out. I love the pick, whether he's ranked highly by mlb.com or not.
It's good for the team personally because we have too many hitters who play hero ball and swing for the fences like Gallo.
investorAg83
AG
awrollins said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Rd2

Slot:

My thoughts exactly. Going by what I know and have heard of the player, I love the pick. I don't care about that ranking.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Breakdown of Rangers 2nd pick Aaron Zavala
DallasAg 94
gigem1223
Is that really all you got out of that breakdown?
Schall 02
AG
New. Favorite. Player.

Lee is a sidearmer nicknamed "The Viper," something I learned from this write-up on him from a couple of months ago. He got no baseball offers out of high school so went to the University of Alabama to study engineering, and ended up trying out for the baseball team. He didn't make it as a freshman, went and pitched club ball at school for a year, then made it his next year as a sophomore.
Cappo
AG
hell yeah brother
wbt5845
AG
PAC-12 Player of the Year; Consensus First Team All American.

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2021/07/01/mlb-draft-profile-aaron-zavala/

Quote:

Players who walk more than they strike out are few and far between especially in today's game. Aaron Zavala is one of those players with that potential at the pro level. The bat is what will move him up the ladder, but he does more than that and there are really no glaring weaknesses in his game. The floor is solid with the Oregon outfielder and teams will be looking at a kid who could make short work of his minor-league time.

Strengths

The bat-to-ball ability is incredible. Zavala has a knack for getting the head of the bat out and making solid contact to all fields. He has a quiet approach, very little movement, and waits back as long as possible before throwing the barrel at the ball wherever it is pitched. His pitch recognition is also excellent. In his Ducks career, Zavala walked more than he struck out (75/68). We all know contact hitters are not a huge thing in the majors nowadays, but the Oregon native has the tools to hit anything the big guns can throw at him.

Zavala is a solid player overall and doesn't do anything poorly. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he can take an extra base when it is needed. He should definitely stick in right or left field and could grow into being an above-average defender. Zavala also has some experience at third base and would certainly be able to handle first which gives him some versatility. Adding to the talent, the kid has the intangibles as well with intelligence and a solid work ethic.

Weaknesses

While Zavala has a little pop when he gets a chance to pull one, don't expect much more than 10-15 HRs a year at the major-league level. He is a line-drive hitter with gap-to-gap power. While that should translate into plenty of doubles, putting them over the fence is not likely given his approach and build. Some scouts believe he is more of a left fielder because of an average arm which also won't play well at third base. Although teams will be drafting his bat mostly, if there is a perceived lack of versatility and concern about future power, Zavala may drop down in the draft a bit.

Yeah, sounds like a guy who might have been had a little later - but maybe not. I'm also intrigued the first two guys are players who will be expected to contribute sooner rather than later.
rbtexan
S
You're trying too hard. There's plenty about the Rangers to be negative about, but you're overreaching on this one. Fantastic pick? Probably not. Bad pick? No, it's not.

Lord forbid the Rangers draft a great hit/so-so field player like....oh, I don't know....Wade Boggs or Rod Carew. That would be awful.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Super Aggie 64
AG
Mr Gigem
AG
Gallo gonna choke in the first round??
wbt5845
AG
Needed Allard to pitch to him.
rbtexan
S
To be clear...I wasn't comparing him to Boggs or Carew.

The point (which you missed) is that neither Boggs or Carew were considered anything near elite defenders, both being merely adequate in the field. Another example was Bill Madlock, all bat/no glove. The point is, that you can be an impact player without being a great defensive player. The league has been littered with them over the years.

I have no idea if this kid will become an elite hitter. He may not. But here's the thing....you don't know that he WON'T. The kid hasn't played a game of pro baseball and you're already writing him off. Here's an idea....why don't you give the kid the opportunity to succeed (or fail) before you implying that this was a wasted/bad pick.
He played in a very good baseball conference in college and was the Pac12 POTY.

You make it sound like we drafted Donald Harris part 2.
Mr Gigem
AG
THROW THR BALL BEASLEY WTF
Mr Gigem
AG
Holy **** his own coach screwed him. Why tf was he taking so long to throw???

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.