*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,930 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

I know the season is early, but a trend that bears watching...

The pitching is above average, which is WAY better than many of us expected.

After the initial start (@KC), the SP has been solid.

It will be left to be seen if GLF is a pitcher-friendly park. If it is, it will bode well for us dumping our SPs before the trade deadline.

It will also benefit us signing FAs.

Sooo, for any of our SP deemed "tradable" we should make sure they only pitch in Arlington, with the roof closed. Let the younger guys pitch on the road or with the roof open in Arlington.

I do think that once we are willing to spend some money, a FA pitcher would be more than a little interested in pitching in the new multi-purpose center stadium in Arlington.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Sooo, for any of our SP deemed "tradable" we should make sure they only pitch in Arlington, with the roof closed. Let the younger guys pitch on the road or with the roof open in Arlington.

I do think that once we are willing to spend some money, a FA pitcher would be more than a little interested in pitching in the new multi-purpose center stadium in Arlington.
You got that backwards. FIFY.

#truth
KT 90
AG
wbt5845 said:

I know the season is early, but a trend that bears watching...

The pitching is above average, which is WAY better than many of us expected.

just ran across this as well:

Grapesoda2525
AgBQ-00 said:

I think this team will be fun. I said it before no expectations...just enjoying baseball
This team feels different then the last 2. I'm not saying these guys will win a ton of games, but they are more interesting to watch or follow then the prior 2.
jtstanley4621
AG
So far the pitching has proved me wrong for the most part. There is, of course, a difference between early success and sustained success. We will see going forward.
cjeffery20
Giving up Emmanuel Clase was such a mistake...... Obviously we had no idea Kluber would get shut down for the entire season but man, Clase is looking ridiculous for CLE.
investorAg83
AG
cjeffery20 said:

Giving up Emmanuel Clase was such a mistake...... Obviously we had no idea Kluber would get shut down for the entire season but man, Clase is looking ridiculous for CLE.

Triple digit cutter is hard to hit.
WestTexasAg
AG
Solak with a long home run.
WestTexasAg
AG
And now an RBI single. Solak can play.
Trucker 96
Oy vey. Trevino sets off a **** show with a super low % attempt and lets the game get tied
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
Trevino nearly whiffed and PB'd strike 2. But Bret the Beggar got em out of it
Mr Gigem
AG
Walking the 9 hole hitter TWICE is completely unacceptable
DallasAg 94
xjrayx
AG
So many dang walks tonight
xjrayx
AG
Sure would be a nice spot for Joey to hit his second homer of the year...
Trucker 96
Garcia with what should be his 2nd HR
gigem1223
Garcia!
xjrayx
AG
ADOLIS!!!!
DallasAg 94
DeangeloVickers
AG
That's one helluva 1st HR
Trucker 96
I'm down with some bunting, but that one? Baaaad
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
You know, these guys aint so ****ing bad
KT 90
AG
Will someone let these guys know they are screwing up our early draft pick??
dave94
AG
Maybe we aughta do one of those waves
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
So JD may be deprived of reaching to take a HS pitcher that turns out to be missing a ligament in his arm. I can live with that
gigem1223
Adolis Garcia our next Nelson Cruz?
WestTexasAg
AG
What do we know about Adolis Garcia?
Grapesoda2525
Don't look now folks, but we're only a half a game behind that team down in Houston.

I don't expect it to last, but enjoy it for now!
wbt5845
AG
Nice win to wake up to.

I'd like to take a look at the quietly successful season of Joey Gallo so far. First blush is "geez only one homer" but his sample size to date is interesting. He has always been a high strike out guy, and likely always will be. For his career, he strikes out about 2.5 times for every time he walks.

Last night he went 1 for 3 with two walks. Got me to thinking to look at his K and BB ratios for this year. And he seems to have a different approach at the plate this year.

It is a small sample size, but he's just under 1.3 K/BB for the season so far. His K% is 27%, which is still well above the MLB average, but not leading the league like he normally does. Hell, he's in 16th place for most Ks so far. There are two Rangers with more Ks than him - Lowe and Solak with 18 each.

Gallo's BB% of 22% is actually one of the very best in all of baseball. His 13 walks leads all of MLB this season so far. Wow.

What's it mean? Well, I think pitchers go into his at bats with the intention of almost never throwing a strike. His approach seems to have morphed into "I'm only swinging at pitches right in the middle of the zone".

Gallo is one of those rare talents, like Vlad Sr., who can hit a ball one foot off the plate out of the park. So it begs the metrics question: Do we really want him taking those pitches for walks and getting stranded on first?

The old school baseball guy in me says "hell yes - make them pitch to you." If Gallo keeps this up, I think pitchers have to adjust since their K/BB rate is a big selling point in free agency. But maybe giving Gallo one base more often instead of four is a good strategy.

Thoughts on this? Is it really good for Gallo to be taking all these walks?
gigem1223
I like his new approach but a lot of that has to do with the guys hitting behind him (Lowe, Trevino, Solak). If they stop producing when he gets on base then I'm sure he might start pressing more.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.