*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,631 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
sburg2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As you stated, sports are a different animal. Fans want to see their teams succeed since they invest so much time, emotion, and money. I get that the player has invested way more time and money, but that's not how normal folks off the street view it. Again, I wanted him to succeed. I thought the org had struck gold watching him in 2015 and seeing the passion he played with while producing. I wish it would've worked and hope he can figure it out somewhere else.
DallasAg 94
toucan82
Schall 02 said:

So with Odor gone, what are people gonna argue about on here now?

So it's still Odor?
sburg2007
I don't recall the part where it was the ownership group that envoy the contract and not JD. that's wild
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Unless something changed in the past day or so, Holt has already been told he is on the team. Both Holt/Culberson are likely nothing more than a band-aid until one of Jung/Davis/Apostel are ready to take over 3B. Pretty sure that one of Lowe/Guzman will be gone in a couple weeks when another pitcher is needed. Guzman is out of options, so he can't be sent down. He hit well to start Spring so this is likely his last last chance to show something. I'd wager that Guzman will struggle at the plate like usual once the season starts up with MLB level pitchers, so he'll likely get chopped (I don't necessarily think Lowe is the answer either... but at least he is a new face ).

How many legit position prospects will we actually have on the MLB roster? Gallo, Taveras, Trevino, IKF, Solak? Dahl (but we'll flip him if he shows anything); I would include Calhoun but he's always hurt, may just be a AAAA player anyway. The rest are band-aid's.

WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I think we'll know more in the next 2 weeks. If he ends up in Oakland with Andrus and Moreland... you know he is a good teammate/clubhouse guy. If he fails to sign-on with someone, then you know there are serious issues behind the scenes.

This just has disaster written all over it. We all know JD didn't like him. He didn't like the fact Odor went straight to the Owners to get his contract... ever since, JD has been ready to dump him.

This article is funny:
Quote:

Odor's DFA further emphasizes the Rangers' youth movement and closes the book on one of the more regrettable financial commitments in the franchise's history.
Youth movement? Going from 27yo Odor to 32yo Culberson?

Even if you buy into the fact the Rangers are going with Solak at 2B... Solak (26.078) is right at 1 yr younger than Odor (27.055).

Solak (26) has a career .277, 7HR in 91 Career MLB games
Culberson (32) has a career .249, 23 HR in 427 Career MLB Games
Odor (27) has a career .237, 146 HR in 858 Career MLB Games

I'd expect Solak's BA/OBP to plummet as he becomes the every-day 2B.

On the financial side... Odor has been paid only $23M in 6 seasons (less what players didn't get in 2020). The Rangers will pay him $24.6 to go away. In his 1st 5 years, he was paid $13M, averaging $2.7M. League min is like $522K. The expensive years are coming... and they are being paid while in his prime... and will be paid while he plays for another team, or stays home riding his 2 horses.
I think you will be proven wrong about Solak. I think he will be a solid player for us.
Carlo4
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Schall 02 said:

So with Odor gone, what are people gonna argue about on here now?

That may be the thing I'm most excited about. No more rehashing those season long arguments about odor
DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
I agree that Gallo could be moved because they know what they have with him and because Boras. Dahl could be a longer term asset if he performs and they get a team friendly extension in the works.
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Unless something changed in the past day or so, Holt has already been told he is on the team. Both Holt/Culberson are likely nothing more than a band-aid until one of Jung/Davis/Apostel are ready to take over 3B. Pretty sure that one of Lowe/Guzman will be gone in a couple weeks when another pitcher is needed. Guzman is out of options, so he can't be sent down. He hit well to start Spring so this is likely his last last chance to show something. I'd wager that Guzman will struggle at the plate like usual once the season starts up with MLB level pitchers, so he'll likely get chopped (I don't necessarily think Lowe is the answer either... but at least he is a new face ).

How many legit position prospects will we actually have on the MLB roster? Gallo, Taveras, Trevino, IKF, Solak? Dahl (but we'll flip him if he shows anything); I would include Calhoun but he's always hurt, may just be a AAAA player anyway. The rest are band-aid's.
I hadn't seen that about Holt.

Agree with what you've said about everything else. Gallo and Dahl will be flipped.

That leaves Taveras (CF), Trevino (C), and IKF (SS) as our legit prospects. I'm just not sure IKF covers SS as well as he did 3B.
Isn't SS supposed to be his natural position?
rbtexan
S
IKF has played more games at SS professionally than any other position (minors & mlb)
TXAggie2011
AG
He's played 234 games, or1914 innings at 3rd base. 160 games, 1390 innings at shortstop.

And 156 games, 1331.1 innings at 2B, and 153 games, 257 innings at catcher.
jtstanley4621
AG
Agreed. Solak has decent potential, I think he's going to be a bright spot this season.
94chem
WestTexasAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I think we'll know more in the next 2 weeks. If he ends up in Oakland with Andrus and Moreland... you know he is a good teammate/clubhouse guy. If he fails to sign-on with someone, then you know there are serious issues behind the scenes.

This just has disaster written all over it. We all know JD didn't like him. He didn't like the fact Odor went straight to the Owners to get his contract... ever since, JD has been ready to dump him.

This article is funny:
Quote:

Odor's DFA further emphasizes the Rangers' youth movement and closes the book on one of the more regrettable financial commitments in the franchise's history.
Youth movement? Going from 27yo Odor to 32yo Culberson?

Even if you buy into the fact the Rangers are going with Solak at 2B... Solak (26.078) is right at 1 yr younger than Odor (27.055).

Solak (26) has a career .277, 7HR in 91 Career MLB games
Culberson (32) has a career .249, 23 HR in 427 Career MLB Games
Odor (27) has a career .237, 146 HR in 858 Career MLB Games

I'd expect Solak's BA/OBP to plummet as he becomes the every-day 2B.

On the financial side... Odor has been paid only $23M in 6 seasons (less what players didn't get in 2020). The Rangers will pay him $24.6 to go away. In his 1st 5 years, he was paid $13M, averaging $2.7M. League min is like $522K. The expensive years are coming... and they are being paid while in his prime... and will be paid while he plays for another team, or stays home riding his 2 horses.
I think you will be proven wrong about Solak. I think he will be a solid player for us.
I could tell from about game #3 that IKF was big-leaguer. I don't mean all-star, but he has a Scott Fletcher/Rusty Greer approach to the game.

As for Solak, I liked what I HEARD from him. After his first few games, I liked the sound the ball made coming off his bat. Again, hard to describe, but I think he can play, and become a doubles machine. He reminds me of Knoblauch.

94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
J.P. 03
AG
ESPN writer ranks us 26th in baseball and includes this as the BEST-CASE scenario for this season:

Quote:

Best case: The Rangers see some young players plant their stake as future parts of the Texas core. Nate Lowe, Nick Solak, Leody Taveras, Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Willie Calhoun, Kyle Cody, Dane Dunning are among those on the early big league roster to watch. If that happens and some of the youngish veterans like Joey Gallo and David Dahl go off, the Rangers can make a run at .500.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31142014/2021-mlb-season-preview-power-rankings-best-worst-case-most-exciting-player-all-30-teams

If making a run at .500 is our best-case scenario, I'd hate to see the worst-case one. Gonna be a long year.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
The 26-27 year old "youth" core is pretty stomach turning.
Schall 02
AG
Opening Day sold out yet ?
Mr Gigem
AG
Schall 02 said:

Opening Day sold out yet ?

Nope
Mr Gigem
AG
Got one suite left is anyone is interested
gigem1223
What day for the suite and how much? Might be able to get it through my company.
Mr Gigem
AG
gigem1223 said:

What day for the suite and how much? Might be able to get it through my company.

Opening Day. $5820. 24 tickets. 5 parking passes. $600 food & beverage credit
gigem1223
Thanks. Will try to get approval with the boss man and let you know. Location of suite?
Mr Gigem
AG
Right field. Shoot me an email. jchance@texasrangers.com
wbt5845
AG
Help me out. Starting pitchers are

Gibson
Arihara
Folty
Lyles
Dunning

But the last two were going to split starters, right? Teamed up somehow with Benjamin and Hearne? Is that still going to be a thing? And if so, has the arrangement been announced?
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Hey Josh - did you know that Payment Wallet wasn't working Monday night?
dr_boogs
AG
Hi fellas, never post over here and not looking for any political answers, just a yes/no - are the Rangers requiring masks for games this year? We were offered some tickets to some games from a season ticket holder but need the answer to this question for one of my family members who has strong opinions on the subject. TIA.
Mr Gigem
AG
wbt5845 said:

The mobile wallet wasn't working, or the mobile F&B ordering wasn't working? I did learn that the mobile ordering was not working Monday, but it was working Tuesday. Everything will be operational by Opening Day
Mr Gigem
AG
dr_boogs said:

Hi fellas, never post over here and not looking for any political answers, just a yes/no - are the Rangers requiring masks for games this year? We were offered some tickets to some games from a season ticket holder but need the answer to this question for one of my family members who has strong opinions on the subject. TIA.
Masks will be required when not actively eating or drinking. IMO, just don't be an idiot and cause a scene like someone else did on Monday when they were asked to put a mask on to enter the ballpark and they replied "Oh I forgot we were in China." Don't be that guy

Edit: the hope is we get through April unscathed and lift the mask requirement. May even lift it earlier than that.
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

wbt5845 said:

The mobile wallet wasn't working, or the mobile F&B ordering wasn't working? I did learn that the mobile ordering was not working Monday, but it was working Tuesday. Everything will be operational by Opening Day

mobile wallet

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.