*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,926 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decided to watch tonight to see Otto. Only one inning so far but he seems to have pretty good command. I think him and Alexy represent our best hope towards building a good young pitching staff
jtstanley4621
AG
And as soon as I write that, a walk, two hit batters.... Damnit
wbt5845
AG
*** SPECIAL OFFER ***

OK - I cannot go to the game tomorrow night and the resale market is ***** So if you and your significant other want to go to the game Monday night, with parking pass, be the first to e-mail me at my username AT yahoo DOT com and two tickets and parking pass are yours.

Section 211, on the aisle. You have to have the MLB Ballpark app and account for me to transfer tickets to you.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845 said:

*** SPECIAL OFFER ***

OK - I cannot go to the game tomorrow night and the resale market is ***** So if you and your significant other want to go to the game Monday night, with parking pass, be the first to e-mail me at my username AT yahoo DOT com and two tickets and parking pass are yours.

Section 211, on the aisle. You have to have the MLB Ballpark app and account for me to transfer tickets to you.
Wish I could go.
Martin Cash
AG
Is the Metroplex likely to get a professional baseball team anytime soon?
DallasAg 94
Timing will depend on a number of factors.

CBA ends in December, so it is unknown how the owners will play that.

The owners could be positioning the team to be sold.

Personally, I think the team is going to spend 2022 tanking again. Yeah, they'll start to sort out what they have, but won't really compete until 2023. And by compete,I mean be back to a .500 team.

Probably 2024 before we see a WC run.

Some believe the owners might spend big this off-season, but I doubt it. They likely spend $45M ACV, if that.
Mr Gigem
AG
Looking from a business standpoint, I just don't see how what we are currently doing, and what you are guessing for 2022, is a sustainable business model.

The upcoming free agent market will have lots of a good players at positions of need. You have to be aggressive IMO
hawk1689
AG
I haven't seen anything out of Howard that gives me hope.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They are 6-4 in their last 10 as some of the younguns have been playing well. I like to see the youth produce, but it's messing up the tank job. They are sitting at #4 right now. #3 is still very much in play being only 1 away in the W column, while #2 and #5 are both unlikely with a 5-6 game gap and running out of games.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

Looking from a business standpoint, I just don't see how what we are currently doing, and what you are guessing for 2022, is a sustainable business model.
How is it not sustainable? What do they get from a media revenue perspective? I've heard something like $85M? They are on the hook for like $25M next year plus any Arbs and Serfs.

The accounting question is... if they spend $75M in additional players... can they get $75M in added attendance? Can you get attendance revenue dollar-for-dollar on payroll? No.

I've said this many times... the money isn't in the Rangers for 81 home games. It is in what they can do with the stadium the other 284 days. The margin of added net revenue for 81 dollars in nominal compared to a concert like Aventura. Adding the Pro Rodeo event was big net revenue... and all of those things drive Live! revenue.

I think you are still stuck in the idea that GLF is a baseball venue. It isn't. It is a Special Events center, where the Rangers just happen to be a tenant.

Quote:

The upcoming free agent market will have lots of a good players at positions of need. You have to be aggressive IMO
I agree 100%. But... my opinion probably doesn't matter.

Proposition Joe
I don't often agree with DallasAg 94, but... yeah... It's a sustainable business model because the performance of the team on the field doesn't really matter that much to the bottom line.

Sure a playoff run helps lines the pockets a bit more, but the franchise/venue isn't hurting.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe said:

I don't often agree with DallasAg 94, but... yeah... It's a sustainable business model because the performance of the team on the field doesn't really matter that much to the bottom line.

Sure a playoff run helps lines the pockets a bit more, but the franchise/venue isn't hurting.
You must hate being wrong so often. j/k.

I don't think we disagree that much. Certainly different takes on situations, but I think our differences are in degrees, not opinions.

I've tended to be more optimistic while you seem to be more pragmatic. Well, until 2019, that was where my optimism turned negative. Had everything to do with how the Rangers handled the off-season before opening a new stadium... well, it may have gone back to 2018 when I realized what the owners were going to do in 2019. 2019 only validated things.
rbtexan
S
So the word on Zavala (our draft pick with the medical condition) is that he has a benign tumor at the top of his spine. No surgery or treatment necessary, just has to be monitored. He's playing currently and doing well.

Obviously wishing him good health, but this winds up being a win for the Rangers, in that they were able to sign him at a discount because of it.
Jimbo Franchione
alvtimes
Mr Gigem said:

As long as 2 million people continue to spend their money supporting non competitive ownership... Id say the business model will continue.... and I hate it!!!
rbtexan
S
Arihara has been DFA'd. Well.....that was money well spent
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

SO... of the $26.8M committed to contracts for 2022... Only Leclerc @ $5.25M will actually be on the roster.

Leclerc had TJ surgery in March 2021.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Who had TJ this year? Let's put em on the roster next year!!

We're so depressing....
DallasAg 94
rbtexan said:

Sad...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/rangers-designate-kohei-arihara-for-assignment.html

Quote:

Arihara was the Rangers' biggest free agent expenditure of the 2020-21 offseason, as Texas spent a total of $7.44MM to obtain the righty on a two-year contract.

That was our Big Signing.

10GS, 6.64 ERA, 40.2 IP, 24 SO, 1.426 WHIP

But hey... next off-season will be BIGGER! Bigger than 2yr $7.44M (Total cost)
Legal Custodian
AG
So it looks like we have a top 4 pick in the 2022 draft all but cemented. Right now we'd be #3, but we're only 1 game back (ahead?) of the Pirates who right now would be #4. No way we could get to #2 as we are 7 games ahead (back?) with 13 games to go.

If we get #3, then conceivably we could get our top pitching or hitting prospect on the board depending on how 1 and 2 go.
Legal Custodian
Mr Gigem
AG
I've heard some rumblings that the Rangers are the favorite to land Story in the offseason
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem said:

I've heard some rumblings that the Rangers are the favorite to land Story in the offseason
I believe it.

That would be very Rangers-esque to do.

Story (28.309)
Away: 69 G, 248 AB, 13 HRs, 77 SO, .206 BA, .294 OBP,.435 SLG, .729 OPS

Odor (27.229)
Away: 49 G, 165 AB, 8 HR, 53 SO, .236 BA, .296 OBP,.424 SLB, .720 OPS

We are going to pay Odor $11.76M to do for the Yankees next year, what we would pay double that to Story to do for us.

Add to that we replaced Odor with a guy that can't play 2B... and Story would replace arguably our best player.

rbtexan
S
I really hope they don't sign him.

If you look at his career Home vs Away splits, he's incredibly average away from Coors. His stats are padded by playing in that ballpark, and I think he would wind up being a very overpaid .260 hitter with the Rangers.
Jimbo Franchione
South Platte
alvtimes said:

Mr Gigem said:

As long as 2 million people continue to spend their money supporting non competitive ownership... Id say the business model will continue.... and I hate it!!!
Yep, we're a total joke. We'd be better off boycotting this franchise, forcing ownership to move the team, then make every effort to go steal the Rays away from Tampa to give them the new stadium that their first class franchise desperately needs and deserves.

The current Rangers franchise deserves nothing except a one-way ticket to Nashville or Montreal.
WestTexasAg
AG
Well, this season is about done. My thoughts on the position players:

1B - Nate Lowe was a steady presence in the lineup this year. Hitting .260. A little light on power for first base. Will Guzman ever be a factor? Does Lowe hold down the position again next year? I'm undecided on this one.

2B - This one is tough. I still believe Solak can be a guy that hits .275 with 25 HRs/yr. He started strong, then faded and got sent down. Has been better since coming back up. I think he gets another year to prove he is/is not the guy

SS - IKF has been impressive to me. Hitting .272 now and playing outstanding defense. Little light on the power numbers, but he is a guy that can help us for the long term in my opinion.

3B - Holt and Culberson were just placeholders for Josh Jung. We need Jung to pan out. He will get a long look next year.

OF - Adolis Garcia has been pretty damn good. He can play any of the outfield positions. Beyond him, who do we really have out there? Taveras looks overwhelmed at the plate still. I like Willie Calhoun. Can he stay healthy? Peters hasn't shown much other than occasional power. Others??

C - Trevino is average. Heim has trailed off. Can Sam Huff be the guy?

Others - Does Ibanez find a regular spot in the lineup?

Thoughts?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I just don't care for Guzman, Solak, or Lowe as long-term answers. They all have the fundamental issue of striking out way too much for what little power they deliver.
rbtexan
S
WestTexasAg said:

1B - Nate Lowe was a steady presence in the lineup this year. Hitting .260. A little light on power for first base. Will Guzman ever be a factor? Does Lowe hold down the position again next year? I'm undecided on this one.

2B - This one is tough. I still believe Solak can be a guy that hits .275 with 25 HRs/yr. He started strong, then faded and got sent down. Has been better since coming back up. I think he gets another year to prove he is/is not the guy

SS - IKF has been impressive to me. Hitting .272 now and playing outstanding defense. Little light on the power numbers, but he is a guy that can help us for the long term in my opinion.

3B - Holt and Culberson were just placeholders for Josh Jung. We need Jung to pan out. He will get a long look next year.

OF - Adolis Garcia has been pretty damn good. He can play any of the outfield positions. Beyond him, who do we really have out there? Taveras looks overwhelmed at the plate still. I like Willie Calhoun. Can he stay healthy? Peters hasn't shown much other than occasional power. Others??

Thoughts?
JMO

1B - Lowe is a 1 or 2 year solution. Not the long term answer

2B - Solak isn't going to get substantially better. He is what he is. I actually suspect IKF will wind up being the 2B next season because the Rangers will waste money & sign Story.

SS - see above, it'll be Trevor Story or some other FA stiff

3B - Jung will be the 3B next season, but it'll be a learning season for him, I wouldn't expect much - .250, .260 hitter as a rookie but will improve.

OF - Garcia is the only sure thing. Calhoun, IMO, will be released. They'll probably give Tavares another shot at CF. I think Peters could be a great 4th OF, not sure he's a starter. They might try to find a cheap FA here.

C - Trevino & Heim again. Huff will be at AAA, at least to start the season.

DH - Pozo or Ibanez probably.

I think guys like Foscue will start in the minors and get a shot later in the season. '22 is going to be as bad, possibly worse, than this season. Maybe they can entice some really good FA pitchers to sign but I'm not counting on it.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
rbtexan said:

WestTexasAg said:

Thoughts?
JMO

1B - Lowe is a 1 or 2 year solution. Not the long term answer

2B - Solak isn't going to get substantially better. He is what he is. I actually suspect IKF will wind up being the 2B next season because the Rangers will waste money & sign Story.

SS - see above, it'll be Trevor Story or some other FA stiff

3B - Jung will be the 3B next season, but it'll be a learning season for him, I wouldn't expect much - .250, .260 hitter as a rookie but will improve.

OF - Garcia is the only sure thing. Calhoun, IMO, will be released. They'll probably give Tavares another shot at CF. I think Peters could be a great 4th OF, not sure he's a starter. They might try to find a cheap FA here.

C - Trevino & Heim again. Huff will be at AAA, at least to start the season.

DH - Pozo or Ibanez probably.

I think guys like Foscue will start in the minors and get a shot later in the season. '22 is going to be as bad, possibly worse, than this season. Maybe they can entice some really good FA pitchers to sign but I'm not counting on it.
There is a great opportunity this offseason to make this not the case, IMO. There's something like $26 million committed to next year's payroll. No excuse to not be aggressive and sign some guys that will make a substantial difference.
rbtexan
S
I completely agree that there is a great opportunity to do exactly that. With all the CBA stuff looming, however, I don't think it happens.

Probably battered Rangers syndrome, but there you go.
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
rbtexan said:

I completely agree that there is a great opportunity to do exactly that. With all the CBA stuff looming, however, I don't think it happens.

Probably battered Rangers syndrome, but there you go.
I don't think the CBA is going to be a big issue. Last year that was a big fight about player compensation, and I really don't think they want to do that again. There will definitely be some negotiation, but I don't think it's going to be some knock down drag out thing
DallasAg 94
I really don't think Story will be an issue.

CBA may not be an issue... it will be an excuse (for the Rangers). The Rangers will say they were unwilling to move until there was certainty and other teams took a risk and moved in before they had a chance.

I agree with the sentiment above that 2022 Rangers are likely a less talented team than 2021, to start the season.

ALL of these guys are serviceable. Average at best.
1B: Lowe (25) - T12 in HRs by 1B AL. Only 6 of the guys ahead of him have a lower BA.
2B: Solak (26) - 9th in HRs by 2B AL. 3 guys ahead of him have a lower BA.
Ibanez (28) - .269, 6HR, 67 G
SS: IKF (26) - T8 in HRs by a SS AL. 3 guys ahead of him have a lower BA.
3B: Hot mess.
OF... Outside of Adolis (30HR, .243) we don't have anyone. Nobody.

Adolis (28): .243, 30HR, 139G
White (27): .177, 6HR, 64G
Calhoun (26): .257, 5HR, 66G
Taveras (23): .166, 3HR, 39G
Peters (25): .203, 11HR, 45G

If I were to rank our players relative to how they compare to their position, here is what I have:

IKF - Improving at SS over IKF is the last place I'd look to improve.
Adolis - He is the 2nd last player on the team I'd try to replace
DH - Literally anyone.
OF - Jeez... Easiest place to improve. It is less important because you can literally pickup replacement for almost nothing.
1B - You really need more at this position.
3B - Improving this position is difficult because it is really is the only position we have true talent that could step in.
2B - This is the position we likely need to improve the most.

We will have far less talent in the lineup in 2022. We'd need at least 2-3 FA signings of players at $10M/Yr to be where we were in 2021.

Now do pitching.

We need 3 SPs before we even look to sign position players.
DallasAg 94

Here is our rotation in 2022, as it stands:

Dunning (26-R): 23 GS, 4.34 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 110.0 IP, 106K
Allard (24-L): 17GS, 5.42 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 119.2 IP, 99K
Hearn (27-L): 10GS, 4.55 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 99.0 IP, 90K
AJ Alexy (23-R): 3GS, 5.00 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 18.0 IP, 15K

and one of:
Howard (25-R): 6GS, 9.22 ERA, 1.76 WHIP, 13.2 IP, 15K
Otto (25-R): 4GS, 9.37 ERA, 1.65 WHIP, 16.1 IP, 19K

You can pickup better pitchers returning for TJ Rehab that are more promising than any of those with the exception of Dunning.

Story... nor any other Top FA is going to come play for the Rangers in 2022. We are going to get some 2nd... 3rd... choice players whom we'll overpay to come play. Those will be guys we "build around." 2023 we'll target some top-end FAs, but the market will likely be slim-pickens.

The market is HUGE this off-season. Winning teams will be aggressive, like they always are. The Rangers play it safe.

As a result there will be fewer to choose from for 2023. We'll all complain that it just seems like when the Rangers are buyers the market there is little to choose and when we are sellers, so is everyone else. Because that is who the Rangers are, under this ownership group.
rbtexan
S
I'll say this....if the Rangers go cheap again, and sign a bunch of reclamation projects, you'll know with 100% certainty that ownership doesn't give a damn about anything but the bottom line. They need at least one, and really 4-6, impact signing. I don't expect it to happen.
Jimbo Franchione
DannyDuberstein
AG
It will certainly be a telling offseason. No reason to be afraid of the next CBA from where they sit. And guys you sign to 5-7 year deals will be here after you are done "rebuilding". The 2021 season will have set the table for 3 high draft picks in 4 years. No excuse for having to continue to tank
EastSideAg2002
"We felt we had competitive offers on the table. Out of all the low ball offers, we felt ours was the best." /jd
rbtexan
S
I'm just afraid that ownership is going to take their Macy's budget and do their shopping at KMart. Lots of "bargains" along the lines of Jordan Lyles, Folty, etc.
Jimbo Franchione

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.