*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

232,983 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Here's a sobering stat. If the Rangers record for their remaining games is 27-39 (which would be an improvement), they will lose 100 games.

Kip F a g g needs to be sh*tcanned as well.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Lost again today, which means the Rangers will have to finish 28-37 to avoid a 100-loss season.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
screw it. lose em all at this point.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

Truly feel like this might be the worst pitching rotation we have ever had
Then you haven't really followed the Rangers. ROFLMAO.

Any rotation with Dave Burba was a failure.

The Rangers had a guy that moved into the bullpen... I think it was the late '90s, I'll have to look up. I called him "The Pear." He maybe a 45" chest and 60" waist. The guy looked like a pear.

'01 Rotation. As a Starter: 6.01 ERA

Shelling: 34 GS, 5.17 ERA
Doug Davis: 30 GS, 4.45 ERA
Darren Oliver: 28GS, 6.02 ERA
Kenny Rogers: 20GS, 6.19 ERA
Rob Bell: 18 GS, 7.18 ERA
Aaron Myette: 15 GS, 7.14 ERA
Ryan Glynn: 9 GS, 7.04 ERA

That was one of the memorable ones, for me.

Take your pick:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TEX/staff.shtml

We wasted so many years of Rudy jaramillo making our offense great. Just to piss it away with horrible pitching.
DallasAg 94
Daveintx
Worst rotation??!!!

Rogers Helling and 3 days of shelling would like a word
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Interesting moves today:

Trevino is activated, Hicks DFA'd.

Solak optioned to AAA, Curtis Terry called up.
gigem1223
Awesome for Terry. He deserves it.
wbt5845
AG
rbtexan said:

Interesting moves today:

Trevino is activated, Hicks DFA'd.

Solak optioned to AAA, Curtis Terry called up.
DFA of Hicks is the right thing to do - give him a chance to catch on (pardon the pun) with someone.

Keeping in mind that this season is meant to figure out who is part of the future and who isn't, we're starting to learn that Solak is not.

Curtis Terry is listed at 258 lb - I'm not buying it.

powerbelly
AG
Is he on the Prince Fielder diet plan?
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Would the Rangers?!

Quote:

He (Solak) entered the season with a year and 41 days of service time and would remain on track for free agency post-2025 so long as he accumulates a total of 131 days of service in 2021. He's already at 113 days of service time this year, so unless he remains in the minors through season's end, he'll accumulate the necessary service to sustain that trajectory.

He needs 18 days. There are 72 days including the final game of the season... Oct 3.

Sept 15 would be the last possible day he returns.
Interesting. Man, I was sure sold on Solak early in the season. Still think he has potential.
DannyDuberstein
AG
There's a reason Solak was always pegged as a utility guy. Anything more was mostly a wish and a prayer
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Would the Rangers?!

Quote:

He (Solak) entered the season with a year and 41 days of service time and would remain on track for free agency post-2025 so long as he accumulates a total of 131 days of service in 2021. He's already at 113 days of service time this year, so unless he remains in the minors through season's end, he'll accumulate the necessary service to sustain that trajectory.

He needs 18 days. There are 72 days including the final game of the season... Oct 3.

Sept 15 would be the last possible day he returns.
Interesting. Man, I was sure sold on Solak early in the season. Still think he has potential.
If you compare Odor and Solak... they are surprisingly almost identical.

Hitting:
Odor: 59 G, .225, 11 HR, 26 RBI, 26 R, 56 SO, .295 OBP
Solak: 92 G, .225, 9 HR, 34 RBI, 42 R, 87 SO, .295 OBP

Almost identical if you ignore that Odor has more homeruns in almost half the plate appearances.

Seriously, for as many stats as you regurgitate you really need to buy a basic Statistics 101 book to understand how to interpret them.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Dallas,

I for one enjoy your stats. I especially enjoyed your minor league pitching stats you used to do as I do not focus enough on the development of those guys.

Yes, an extension of Gallo would be huge. The clock is ticking. I think that IF you do not believe he is a cornerstone to build the franchise on, then we are looking at several years of rebuilding.
rbtexan
S
DallasAg 94 said:

Just posturing before a trade?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/rangers-exploring-contract-extension-with-joey-gallo.html

"Well, we tried to extend him, but just couldn't get a deal done." ?

or is it a real effort?

Could this be motive to get Leiter signed? I've said if you trade Gibson and Gallo, you likely aren't competing until 2024.

If you are Leiter and feel you are at least a #3 in 2022, you don't want to blow 2 years playing rebuild.

Pickup a #1 or 2, GIbson, Leiter, Dunning, King could be serviceable for 2022.
Nope.

You don't extend a player (or choose not to) based on an unsigned draft pick. Gallo, for all his flaws, is an established quality MLB player. Leiter is a potential top of the rotation starter, but in the words of Darrell Porter, potential just means you ain't done it yet.

Gallo signing or being traded will have no impact on the Leiter camp's decision, and here's why. If he doesn't sign and plays next season at Vandy, he'll be at least a top 5 pick (probably top 3) in next year's draft, barring injury or a complete fall-off. Any team he is drafted by isn't going to be competing for a championship, or even close to it. He has no leverage to get with a team of his choosing. Look at the teams currently in the picture for the first 5 picks in the '22 draft. None of them are close to being contenders.

Now the Leiter family may feel that the Rangers organization is a complete disaster and decide not to sign, but trading or not trading Gallo won't be the deciding factor. Personally, I think they keep Gallo and trade Gibson & Kennedy.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
Quote:

My problem isn't in the statistics... it is in disingenuous responses.

Your problem is you'll come up with what you WANT the stats to show, and then cherry pick individual stats over random time periods to try and make it fit. You put a ton of work into it, it's just not in any way statistically or analytically sound work.

Saying that Odor and Solak are "surprisingly almost identical" when there's almost a 100 point difference in their OPS is just dumb.
KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG
Myself and a number of us have pondered on here what exactly the roles were for Young and Daniels. Saw this today that provides at least some info on that:

KT 90
AG
Ok, last one.... (just throwing some conversation starters out there, then we can resume the DallasAg/PropJoe spat ) j/k

DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
You can use OPS... You can use WAR... You can use any # of statistical analyses.

But concentrating on BA and OBP but ignoring pure power production when comparing players -- especially as a fan of a team with Joey Gallo on it -- shows you don't really understand the numbers.

"Hey, Odor and Gallo are both batting 0.225 -- they are basically identical!"

Yeah, no.
KT 90
AG
Eli White with the solo bomb off of Grienke. A batter after Hold and Woody got run for arguing a horrid strike three call against Holt.
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.