*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,958 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First big league win for AJ Alexy! Hopefully he is in the rangers rotation for many years to come. I know they will probably send him back down to triple A after tonight but the kid did well and may have a bright future.
hawk1689
AG
gigem1223 said:

Encouraging debuts from Otto and Alexy
This! Hearn, Otto, Alexy, Dunning, Howard, Arihara. It's time to fire Folty into the sun!
alvtimes
whats the thought on Noah Syndergaard for 22??? Rangers take a shot for say 3@15 per coming off injury?????
Mr Gigem
AG
alvtimes said:

whats the thought on Noah Syndergaard for 22??? Rangers take a shot for say 3@15 per coming off injury?????

**** it. Let's sign him and Kershaw
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Mr Gigem said:

alvtimes said:

**** it. Let's sign him and Kershaw

Strikeouts and TJ. That's what Rangers do.
KT 90
AG
It's almost September, but the rules have been tweaked a bit since the days of expanding to 40. Here is the entire article:

Roster limits
Under current rules, Major League teams are allowed to carry 26 players on their everyday active rosters. Clubs can add a 27th player on days in which they play a doubleheader. In September, those roster limits expand to 28 (29 on twin bill days). Teams must use every one of those 28 spots and can also carry a five-player taxi squad with them on road trips.

Prior to 2020, Major League rosters could expand to include as many members of the system's 40-man roster as the front office wanted. While the extra help in the heat of a playoff race was certainly welcomed, bloated rosters often led to lengthy games and teams playing with very different roster priorities. Capping the roster at a still-expanded 28 can give Major League clubs that extra boost toward the end of the season while making sure matters don't get too out of hand.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

It's almost September, but the rules have been tweaked a bit since the days of expanding to 40. Here is the entire article:

Roster limits
Under current rules, Major League teams are allowed to carry 26 players on their everyday active rosters. Clubs can add a 27th player on days in which they play a doubleheader. In September, those roster limits expand to 28 (29 on twin bill days). Teams must use every one of those 28 spots and can also carry a five-player taxi squad with them on road trips.

Prior to 2020, Major League rosters could expand to include as many members of the system's 40-man roster as the front office wanted. While the extra help in the heat of a playoff race was certainly welcomed, bloated rosters often led to lengthy games and teams playing with very different roster priorities. Capping the roster at a still-expanded 28 can give Major League clubs that extra boost toward the end of the season while making sure matters don't get too out of hand.
They should have trimmed it to 32. Just 2 extra players? That's it?
gigem1223
alvtimes said:

Thor is someone I've been wanting to target in the off-season. Local kid and would fit in nicely with this rotation of younger guys.
alvtimes
gigem1223 said:

alvtimes said:

Thor is someone I've been wanting to target in the off-season. Local kid and would fit in nicely with this rotation of younger guys.

thats my thought and coming off TJ possible discount..... who knows... just a thought
wbt5845
AG
Anyone heard details on Ibanez? I hope this is just a minor hamstring pull that they're being overly cautious on.
alvtimes
alvtimes said:

gigem1223 said:

alvtimes said:

thats my thought and coming off TJ possible discount..... who knows... just a thought

here I am drunk Im drunk again!!! Story for 4@20 per.... move IKF back to 3rd or 2nd and promote Jung. .... Thor on an Injury discount.
IkF 2nd
Calhoun Lf
Garcia RF
Story Ss
Lowe 1st or LH replacement
Jung 3rd
DH ... find a LH Bat
Peters cf
Heim C
hawk1689
AG
Man I don't think you're gonna get Story or Syndergaard on the cheap. They both have too much upside and that is what teams pay for.
rbtexan
S
I'm not sure I'm on board with spending the money it'll take to get Story. His numbers are inflated playing at the Rockies home park (look at his road numbers, there's a substantial career difference).
IF he was willing to sign for a reasonable amount, then yes. But he's not a player I would get into a bidding war for. JMO
Jimbo Franchione
Mr Gigem
AG
Now is the time to spend if you plan to start the exit process of the rebuild
TV Casualty
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Now is the time to spend if you plan to start the exit process of the rebuild

I think you have to be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel before really spending significant money.

This rebuild still has a ways to go.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
It is worth noting that it looks like JD, or whoever is running the Rangers front office, absolutely robbed the Yankees. The key will remain Otto, but we sold Gallo at his apex.

OK - it's early - but so far....since the trade

Yankees:
OF/1B Joey Gallo - 119 ABs, BA .134, OPS .635, 6 HRs, 59 Ks
LHP Joely Rodrguez - 13 G, 2.52 ERA, 5 BB, 8 Ks

Rangers:
2B Ezequiel Duran (A ball) - 121 ABs, BA .215, OPS .684, 6 HRs, 46 Ks
2B Trevor Hauver (A ball) - 104 ABs, BA .231, OPS .787, 6 HRs, 42 Ks
RHP Glenn Otto (Rangers) - 2 GS, 1.86 ERA, 1 BB, 11 Ks
SS Josh Smith (AA) - 64 ABs, BA .281, OPS .762, 1 HRs, 10 Ks
KT 90
AG
dang, 59 k's in 119 ab's is right at 50%. Ouch...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Gallo never struck me as a guy who would do well in a NY or Boston type market. I think he truly did enjoy Texas partly because he knew he wouldnt take a bunch of **** from the fans and media for all the whiffs
jtstanley4621
AG
IMO it's way too early to call the trade one way or the other. The Gallo Ks are bad for sure, but it's only been 2 games up here with Otto. I will say I do feel more excited about him than say Dane Dunning projecting forward
Proposition Joe
Trade deadline trades are also judged a little differently than offseason trades.

Gallo trade will ultimately be judged by what he does for NY in the playoffs this year and the regular season next year.
jtstanley4621
AG
Interested to see how Alexy performs tonight. We could quietly build a fairly decent young tandem with him and Otto if they continue to progress in their development this year. Ideal scenario would be Alexy goes 5-6 innings and then we blow it late. Hate rooting for losses but we gain nothing from wins at this point.
Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

Interested to see how Alexy performs tonight. We could quietly build a fairly decent young tandem with him and Otto if they continue to progress in their development this year. Ideal scenario would be Alexy goes 5-6 innings and then we blow it late. Hate rooting for losses but we gain nothing from wins at this point.
Yup yup

It's all about looking for signs of young players doing well and possibly finding guys who can help us in the future. We want to see stuff like Otto pitching 6 innings giving up one run, peters or Garcia hitting a home run, then the bullpen blows it in the last inning or two. Perfect outcome.
rbtexan
S
On a related note, Taylor Hearn is starting to look like an actual MLB starter. He's been pitching really, really well since he's gone in the rotation.
Jimbo Franchione
KT 90
AG
Alexy; 5ip, 1h, 0 runs so far.
KT 90
AG
Make it 6 shutout innings. 1hit allowed. Think he is done for the night.
wbt5845
AG
So it's early, but Hearn, Otto and Alexy all look solid so far. That's good.

TBD - Allard, Patton, Dunning, Howard, Arihara.

Some intriguing pieces here.
wbt5845
AG
Gallo last 7 games.

.040 BA
.360 OPS
1 HR
5 BB
13 K
South Platte
wbt5845 said:

Gallo last 7 games.

.040 BA
.360 OPS
1 HR
5 BB
13 K
But but but his lousy average doesn't mean anything . . . .

Not surprising. He's just a bad baseball player. Along with Mazara, Odor, Guzman, and Profar, their collective lack of development is a major reason why we're the worst franchise in baseball.
Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

wbt5845 said:

Gallo last 7 games.

.040 BA
.360 OPS
1 HR
5 BB
13 K

Not surprising. He's just a bad baseball player. Along with Mazara, Odor, Guzman, and Profar, their collective lack of development is a major reason why we're the worst franchise in baseball.
That core really was rotten AF.
jtstanley4621
AG
South Platte said:

wbt5845 said:

Gallo last 7 games.

.040 BA
.360 OPS
1 HR
5 BB
13 K

Getting kinda sick of your posting style TBH. The Rangers are FAR from an elite franchise, make no mistake. But we are not the worst franchise in baseball. The hyper negativity is tiring to say the least.

For what it's worth I agree with you entirely on the development point. You just seem so eager to jump the shark to the most negative place possible.
investorAg83
AG
Agreed. So much so I'm about to start hiding their posts.
wbt5845
AG
Arihara kinda all over the place today.
South Platte
jtstanley4621 said:

South Platte said:

wbt5845 said:

Gallo last 7 games.

.040 BA
.360 OPS
1 HR
5 BB
13 K

Getting kinda sick of your posting style TBH. The Rangers are FAR from an elite franchise, make no mistake. But we are not the worst franchise in baseball. The hyper negativity is tiring to say the least.

For what it's worth I agree with you entirely on the development point. You just seem so eager to jump the shark to the most negative place possible.
It's fine. Apparently I'm the only Rangers fan that's supremely agitated at the garbage this franchise runs out onto the field. If this was going on in Boston or New York, my post would be the mildest of the day. Management would need to have full-time bodyguards. Even Baltimore fired their manager and GM after a horrible season. Instead, we've promoted Daniels and exercised Woodward's option for 2022!!!

South Platte
investorAg83 said:

Agreed. So much so I'm about to start hiding their posts.
I'm the only jackass on the Rangers thread and churn out a bitter post a couple of times per month. I'm actually a pretty easy going guy in real life. This franchise brings out the worst in me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.