*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,683 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Personally, I'm glad to see people starting to refuse to back down or cater to this cancel culture nonsense. The pendulum has swung too far, some common sense has to kick in.

I'm not saying I agree OR disagree with the election law reforms in Georgia. I don't live there, it doesn't affect me. But it doesn't affect MLB either, and the hypocrisy being exhibited is off-putting. All of this is getting completely out of hand. JMO
DeangeloVickers
AG
rbtexan said:

Personally, I'm glad to see people starting to refuse to back down or cater to this cancel culture nonsense. The pendulum has swung too far, some common sense has to kick in.

I'm not saying I agree OR disagree with the election law reforms in Georgia. I don't live there, it doesn't affect me. But it doesn't affect MLB either, and the hypocrisy being exhibited is off-putting. All of this is getting completely out of hand. JMO

And at the detriment of one of their franchises to honor the GOAT of HRs.

I just saw Manfred has an Augusta membership.... unbelievable

Castellanos getting suspended is also a joke. Can't show emotion?!!!
powerbelly
AG
Nelson Cruz still crushing baseballs. I never expected him to be this productive for this long.
AgBQ-00
AG
Really nice to see people in the stands
Legal Custodian
AG
Ballpark looks pretty damn good with the roof open and people in the stadium.
KT 90
AG
So we have confirmed that the ball does indeed carry well at the new ballpark when the roof is open. Now we just need to figure out how to accomplish this with a Ranger at the plate swinging the bat

jtstanley4621
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Yeah, the Rangers really seem to love trading with the A's and it this time it really sucks.

And then add to that that we have to root for Kris Davis. I have hated that guy for a long time. This is a brutal era for the Rangers
TheCurl84
AG
powerbelly said:

Nelson Cruz still crushing baseballs. I never expected him to be this productive for this long.
Is he still shying away from crucial fly balls near the outfield wall?
"God help us to respond reasonably and love irrationally, not the other way around."

-Brian Moss
jtstanley4621
AG
TheCurl84 said:

powerbelly said:

Still too soon
BCSWguru
any pictures of packed stands? I'd look for myself, but MLB TV blacks out the game if you live 200 miles form the stadium.
Legal Custodian
AG
I'm just gonna leave this right here for those that have streaming services or DISH for their tv provider:

mlb66.ir
KT 90
AG
LSCSN said:

any pictures of packed stands? I'd look for myself, but MLB TV blacks out the game if you live 200 miles form the stadium.

KT 90
AG
TheCurl84 said:

powerbelly said:

Pretty sure they took his glove away from him by now. Just send him to the cages during team defensive drills.

Seven Costanza
AG
Just looked at the box score and noticed Biggio, Bichette, and Guerrero in the lineup. I wonder what the record is for most sons of former players in one lineup.

Also, had no idea that Elvis had been traded until I opened this thread. I'm amazed at how disconnected I've become from this team.
Trucker 96
Sloppy ass defense. Get in front of it, dick
Carlo4
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Just looked at the box score and noticed Biggio, Bichette, and Guerrero in the lineup. I wonder what the record is for most sons of former players in one lineup.

Also, had no idea that Elvis had been traded until I opened this thread. I'm amazed at how disconnected I've become from this team.
Did you know Fat Joe left Atlantic?
TDub
AG
This might be the coolest feature in the park
nai06
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Same here. I just checked the lineup and only recognized gallo. I suppose it's bound to happen when I haven't paid much attention in the last two years.
Trucker 96
I don't think Dad Bod is that cool
sburg2007
Took my boy to his first big league game. Easily the best part of the entire day. I loved seeing the stadium full with folks wearing masks if they so choose.

However, I don't like the stadium for watching games. I thought it was fine when we went in December for the lights. Today, I thought concourses were too small, sight lines were poor (couldn't see the dugout on first base side), and the plastic grass looked awful. I felt farther from the game than I did across the street. Perhaps tomorrow they can close the garage door to centerfield storage area too.

I've got other issues with it as well, but getting in was easier than its ever been on opening day.

I don't know when I'll go back, probably not anytime soon, but I hope they can figure out how to win.
TDub
AG
Where did you sit?? I was out an LF and really enjoyed it. Only thing I'd change is to get out from under the overhang
sburg2007
122 so up the first baseline row 14.
TDub
AG
I was in 32 row 13. Not bad seats except for the overhang
mosdefn14
AG
1) I went to NFR, bounced around and watched different events from a few different areas. Every one of them felt so far from the action.

2) Good on you wearing cut off jeans to opening day. The world needs more of that.
sburg2007
Hahahaha I don't wear pants unless it's under 55 degrees. I was wearing shorts while the woman next to me wore cut offs.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
My thoughts on the new stadium:

Don't care for the layout of the concourse. You have to zig zag your way anywhere you want to go due to the vendors near the seating area,

Limited sight lines everywhere. Sat in 107, row 6. Couldn't see anything from about 3/4 of the way down the left field line.

On the plus side, we were in the shade all day. Got to our seats about 1 o'clock and it was nice where we sat. We put on all kinds of sunscreen before we went in. It was a waste, which was nice.

I don't go to the ballpark for the food. I know a lot of people do. That said, the food and menus looked generic. Nothing to write home about. I did have a beer but thats is pretty hard to screw up, I think.

When (if) the Rangers get good again, they are going to need some more bathrooms. The lines were very long yesterday. I know we won't have a crowd like that the rest of the season but they are going to have to do something.

About the team:

Ugh!
sburg2007
I would agree spot on with your assessment. I did actually miss vendors walking up and down the aisles. Being smack in the middle of the row, sure hated getting up for a water and disturbing everyone else.
Proposition Joe
My quick thoughts:

Hate how it seems like you are being sold something no matter where you look. Advertisements, raffles, garb. This is not unique to the Rangers in any way, just the way things have been headed for a while -- but definitely a change from how the old ballpark was. Will be even worse in 5 years when there's betting kiosks everywhere.

Doesn't seem to be much of a flow to the concourse, but also difficult to tell on opening day since for the most part every one is wandering.

I don't love that there's more obstructed view "sightlines", but I think that is well worth the tradeoff of a concourse that gives far more accessibility to seeing the game. In the old ballpark when you went down to get concessions, you basically had only the close-circuit TV's to catch any action. Now pretty much every place you are at is a few steps away from seeing the field.

We bounced around a few sections... Section 10 was the "best", but for the price I'd take the 100 level. Feels super close to the field despite not being the most expensive. Sat in Section 4 for a bit down low and thought those were good as well. Ventured up top and man is it steep, and I get the complaint that you feel so far away from the field -- but compared to the cheap seats at the old stadium you are not only much closer but have a better view of the game -- it's just going to take some getting used to.

Still boggles my mind a bit that they can have a year of test runs and still manage to not be able to get everyone in the park in a timely manner. A lot of people missed the first pitch because they were sitting in the outfield entrance line for 20 minutes. Yes, I know there are other entrances -- but when you know that no matter what the person's ticket says that 70%+ of the attendees are going to enter through the outfield you need to plan accordingly. This is the 3rd (4th?) Opening Day in 10 years that Rangers have had 20+ minute waits to get in (including the fiasco 5-6 years ago where scanners went down and people sat outside for 45 minutes). This is very simply a lack of proper planning.

As for the masks - I think it was handled well. I think most know in a major capacity event like this that the masks are for the most part "theater", but enforcement I felt was done well. If you were eating/drinking, no one really bothered you. If you were walking around the concourse you were reminded but I never felt like anyone was over-bearing. For the most part 80% of the crowd are adults that can police themselves and I think this event showed that.

Gigem - I saw the reps running around talking to people and one chatted with the corporate clients I was with for a bit and while it was only a 4-5 minute convo I can tell you that kind of stuff makes a world of difference. The guys I was with know they aren't super high on the totem pole but they were made to feel like they were important. Goes a long way.
Mr Gigem
AG
Quote:

Still boggles my mind a bit that they can have a year of test runs and still manage to not be able to get everyone in the park in a timely manner. A lot of people missed the first pitch because they were sitting in the outfield entrance line for 20 minutes. Yes, I know there are other entrances -- but when you know that no matter what the person's ticket says that 70%+ of the attendees are going to enter through the outfield you need to plan accordingly. This is the 3rd (4th?) Opening Day in 10 years that Rangers have had 20+ minute waits to get in (including the fiasco 5-6 years ago where scanners went down and people sat outside for 45 minutes). This is very simply a lack of proper planning.
This part of your post confused me. We haven't had 38,000 fans at any games for a year, and I thought for the postseason and NFR that getting into the stadium was pretty smooth. But I guess that also goes to your point about a lack of proper planning. I won't divulge anything, but it sure does seem like the sales staff was the only part of the organization that did any real work over the last year.

Glad to see you had a good time and got to check out some different areas. I love the 100-level seating as I do think that provides the most bang for your buck, especially if you are taking a family. The Speakeasy is my personal favorite. The seating location is excellent, and the club is amazing. I took a couple of friends in there yesterday and hung out for a bit.

Side note: I noticed tons of Aggies in those premium club spaces
wbt5845
AG
I really enjoyed the full stadium. Lines for restrooms were the biggest drawback. I also enjoyed the loaded nachos a lot.
Proposition Joe
Well by test runs I guess I mean with NFR and NLCS/WS it should have been known what % of the attendees are going to enter what gate - no matter what their ticket said. I know in a perfect world those in the outfield areas enter through the outfield gates, those in the infield areas enter through the infield gates, etc... But it never really happens that way. I'm guessing there were probably some gates with next to no one.

Really only an issue once a year for a non-playoff team. But yeah as you said it seemed like sales people have been busting their tail while operations sometimes takes a "well, if there's an issue it will work itself out" type approach.
wbt5845
AG
There was no line at all at the gate behind home plate where I entered. I think most people tried to enter the north side because most parking is on the north side.
sburg2007
Agree 100%. I came in the southwest entrance and there was zero line.
94chem
Ranger fan masks are covering the wrong half of the face.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
One issue I had that I failed to mention earlier is that I prepaid parking in Lot V. Lot V was full two hours before game time and we for rerouted to Cowboys lot 4. The problem is, I had no clue where that was. Asked numerous people and they kept point towards Cowboys stadium. Finally found it and got hassled because I was in the wrong spot. They finally let us park after they spoke with their supervisor.

The upside of that was that it was a short walk before and after the game. Entrance into the park at the home plate entrance was fast, no lines. The walk back to the lot was easy post game and traffic getting out was pretty easy.

Just need to clean up the prepaid parking situation a little.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.