*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,965 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think I'd care if they were paying his salary for next year too.
jtstanley4621
AG
If you surround Gallo with other power and on base threats, his offensive game becomes much more lethal IMO. He pretty much never had that during his time for the Rangers. All signs pointed towards him being a pretty good dude and teammate. I wish him well, although it sucks that it's the effing Yankees. Really hoping this deal injects good talent into the minors.

Also we absolutely MUST trade Gibson now. There is absolutely no point in keeping him for the rest of this season. Bring on the full tank.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
So, 110 to 115 losses this year? I think it is doable. We still have Gibson and Kennedy on the trading block. Gallo single handedly won games with his defense and his offense.

The above posters comments about surrounding him with good hitters is spot on. IKF leads the team in BA at. 258. That isn't going to cut it for an MLB lineup.

I hate to see Joey go, especially to NYY. MLB radio this morning said that at least 3 of the prospects in the deal were future big leaguers. That's great if one or more turn out to be All-Star potential. Otherwise, we just dumped an All-Star for more middling prospects.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Always hard to say. The linchpin of the Texiera deal was supposedly Saltalamacchia. In reality, Elvis and Neftali were the real grab, and Matt Harrison was no slouch either (played a big part in 2011). Big picture back then was that they got a quantity of talent from a team with a deeply talented minor league system, and that's what the NYY has right now
Grapesoda2525
DannyDuberstein said:

Always hard to say. The linchpin of the Texiera deal was supposedly Saltalamacchia. In reality, Elvis and Neftali were the real grab, and Matt Harrison was no slouch either (played a big part in 2011). Big picture back then was that they got a quantity of talent from a team with a deeply talented minor league system, and that's what the NYY has right now
Salty was a big bust. Elvis and Feliz were great tho. I'd rate Harrison's impact as middling because he was a big drag on us right after he signed that huge contract.
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

So, 110 to 115 losses this year? I think it is doable. We still have Gibson and Kennedy on the trading block. Gallo single handedly won games with his defense and his offense.

The above posters comments about surrounding him with good hitters is spot on. IKF leads the team in BA at. 258. That isn't going to cut it for an MLB lineup.

I hate to see Joey go, especially to NYY. MLB radio this morning said that at least 3 of the prospects in the deal were future big leaguers. That's great if one or more turn out to be All-Star potential. Otherwise, we just dumped an All-Star for more middling prospects.

After signing leiter and moving Gallo. The hard part should be over. Id 95% expect them to be able to move Gibson and Kennedy. We can't afford not too at this point.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I know Salty was a bust. That's my point. The guy people were creaming over when the deal was made as the top, most MLB ready prospect was the worst one, yet they still ended up with a great haul that made a long-term impact. If these turn out to be middling guys, then it will be a fail. But I actually like getting 3-4 good prospects from a deep system.
Schall 02
AG
I mean he wasn't going to sign long-term (despite his puffery), so he had to be traded. I have no reason to think this wasn't the best package they could get. Chris Young ain't no dummy.

This, stolen from a comment on Lone Star Ball, sums up why it stinks (and why Mr. Gig Em is gonna have a tough sell):

From R.J. Anderson, CBS Sports
He Gave the Yankees an "A" grade and the Rangers a "B" grade, then finished with this, which sums up the situation perfectly for me:
There's another aspect worth mentioning here, and that's how much this trade stinks for the Rangers fan base. Texas' roster is now as void of fan favorites as its books are of meaningful long-term commitments. (Even that could get worse if/when the Rangers trade Kyle Gibson.) Texas just isn't a fun watch right now, and that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon. You can understand if the Rangers were reluctant to commit to Gallo long term because of how his offensive game might deteriorate, but that doesn't make the present reality any easier to stomach for fans who haven't experienced a winning season since 2016.

dave94
AG
Schall 02 said:

I mean he wasn't going to sign long-term (despite his puffery), so he had to be traded. I have no reason to think this wasn't the best package they could get. Chris Young ain't no dummy.

This, stolen from a comment on Lone Star Ball, sums up why it stinks (and why Mr. Gig Em is gonna have a tough sell):

From R.J. Anderson, CBS Sports
He Gave the Yankees an "A" grade and the Rangers a "B" grade, then finished with this, which sums up the situation perfectly for me:
There's another aspect worth mentioning here, and that's how much this trade stinks for the Rangers fan base. Texas' roster is now as void of fan favorites as its books are of meaningful long-term commitments. (Even that could get worse if/when the Rangers trade Kyle Gibson.) Texas just isn't a fun watch right now, and that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon. You can understand if the Rangers were reluctant to commit to Gallo long term because of how his offensive game might deteriorate, but that doesn't make the present reality any easier to stomach for fans who haven't experienced a winning season since 2016.

Here.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the current product is a ****ing disaster that is not fun to watch. The game has always been on at my house in the summer, but I've watched significantly less this year. Not even background noise worthy. Bunch of spare parts that mostly won't be here when they do get interesting again. Adolis provided some moments, but what fun there was earlier in the year has dried up. They started out as "they suck but they are still fun to watch" but it's degraded to a waste of time. Just lose and help the pick
DallasAg 94
WestTexasAg
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, the current product is a ****ing disaster that is not fun to watch. The game has always been on at my house in the summer, but I've watched significantly less this year. Not even background noise worthy. Bunch of spare parts that mostly won't be here when they do get interesting again. Adolis provided some moments, but what fun there was earlier in the year has dried up. They started out as "they suck but they are still fun to watch" but it's degraded to a waste of time. Just lose and help the pick
Sums up my feelings perfectly. I remember talking to some friends earlier this year and saying "at least this team is more fun to watch". Of course that was when Adolis was breaking out, Solak was hitting, etc.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Just getting caught up on the flood of posts! On Gallo, if he truly liked it here and wanted to stay, he'll have the opportunity to pick any team he wants in a little over a year from now. He can always switch agents if Boras insists on trying to get top dollar from some other team.

Even if the Yankees wanted to extend Gallo, could they even do that with so much money already committed to two other outfielders long term (Stanton and Judge)?

KT 90
AG
Now we need to sell to the highest bidder for Gibson and Kennedy.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

This is exactly where I find myself this year. They started out as entertaining, but they have gotten to be so dreadful
rbtexan
S
I view this as a signal that the organization feels like this rebuild is going to take longer than they initially did. I suspect Gibson & Kennedy are gone, as well as Lyles if they can get anyone interested. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Kiner-Filefa gets moved as well.

Probably they'll try to get whatever they can for those guys, which won't be much in terms of "wow" factor. I also wouldn't get my hopes up on this team doing anything exciting in free agency in the off season. I think what we have is what we're going to be seeing for the next few years....a revolving door of JAGs to hold down the fort until the kids at AA are ready to move up.

It's tough to watch and will probably get tougher.
DallasAg 94
TV Casualty
AG
Building around Gallo never really made any sense. All we have right now are a collection of role players.

It's going to take 4 or 5 years for this team to be competitive again.
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

rbtexan said:

I view this as a signal that the organization feels like this rebuild is going to take longer than they initially did. I suspect Gibson & Kennedy are gone, as well as Lyles if they can get anyone interested. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Kiner-Filefa gets moved as well.

Probably they'll try to get whatever they can for those guys, which won't be much in terms of "wow" factor. I also wouldn't get my hopes up on this team doing anything exciting in free agency in the off season. I think what we have is what we're going to be seeing for the next few years....a revolving door of JAGs to hold down the fort until the kids at AA are ready to move up.

It's tough to watch and will probably get tougher.
Welcome to the acceptance stage of grief.

Why have I emphasized when everyone thinks we'll 'go for it?'

IKF is only under team control through 2024.
Brett Martin, Jonathan Hernandez, Solak, Allard, Trevino, and Hearn are controlled through 2025.

So, the clock is ticking on the core players of the future.

Zero people have thought we'd "go for it" in the next 2 years. That's your straw man.

What many of us have said is that the plan is to be competitive in 2023.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Now we need to sell to the highest bidder for Gibson and Kennedy.
What are you looking for in return?

You re asking the wrong person, been pretty busy and haven't really been keeping up with this years trade deadline from the various writers who love to tweet stuff. I'd image not much for Kennedy, minor leaguer (or 2) I suppose.

For Gibson I would assume a pretty decent haul, but not great (his recent struggles have not been timely at all). I'd think we'd get a younger minor leaguer for him (but a pretty good prospect) who doesn't requite a spot on the 40; plus a decent-but-not great major leaguer... thinking younger pitcher who slots as a 4/5 starter or a younger reliever or younger player that is a decent player but looking for more playing time (please don't let this be another second baseman ).

That's based on absolutely nothing but a stab in the dark from me.

DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Well, since we traded Gallo, we are saying 2022 is a rebuilding year - at least.

I still like to think 2023 is the year, but it really depends on the development of our young guys.

Guys in the minors who ought to be ready by at least 2023.

C Sam Huff
2B Justin Foscue
SS Josh Smith
3B Josh Jung

OF - Not much here. Need help. Leody Taveras? Steele Walker?

SP Cole Winn
SP Hans Crouse
SP Jack Leiter
SP Glenn Otto

How good will these guys be? We don't know yet. But if enough of them are really good, then a sprinkling of FAs might give us a contender.
hawk1689
AG
I hate the concept of a "good faith" offer in baseball. Boras was most likely asking for more than 5 years and at least $150MM. Joey Gallo is a huge risk for a long term contract. He's a career .211 hitter. The market would probably dictate that price point but the liklihood that he generates the value to justify it is extremely low.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Listening to Evan Grant on the Ticket, he raises the core of the issue. Is Gallo a $20 million for 5 years guy, or is he a $30-35 million for 10 year guy? Hard to reach agreement on a guy like him
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
You guys sure are optimistic. I can't see any scenario where this teams competes in '22. I think '23 at the earliest, and more likely '24 or '25. Just too many missing pieces.

And Gibson isn't going to bring a big haul IMO.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yanks just grabbed Rizzo too and the Cubs are paying his salary as well.
Proposition Joe
The plan is for the young pieces to be competitive in 2023 - competitive being at least a 0.500ish squad.

If you've got a squad of young players that can hover around 0.500, then it makes sense to "go for it" as you say.

Signing a bunch of 5 year free agent deals and "going for it" now like you've proposed -- even at the ridiculously unrealistic contracts you've forecasted ("Hey lets just get Gibson to add a year on for $8m!") and then your core winds up not panning out -- then what do you have?

You don't spend big in free agency to make a bad team a mediocre team. It's a waste of money.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
Deadline is tomorrow afternoon and both Kennedy / gibby not moved yet.

Cmon front office.. after trading Gallo there's no point in keeping these guys. They must be moved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.