*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,699 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Schall 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh I agree. I mean it could be way less than we got for Lynn.
wbt5845
AG
Schall 02 said:

I'd think more than slightly less. Lynn had multiple years of success. That is, less risk for the acquiring team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lynnla01.shtml
Keep in mind Lynn was one full year, not a year and a half. And Lynn did not pitch as well last year as Gibson is pitching this year. Lynn was a 3.32 ERA guy last year with a 3.1 K/BB ratio. Gibson is 2.00 ERA with a similar K/BB ratio. Gibson leads the AL in ERA.

So he is significantly better with 50% more control.
Grapesoda2525
rbtexan said:

Schall 02 said:

I'd think more than slightly less. Lynn had multiple years of success. That is, less risk for the acquiring team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lynnla01.shtml
Again, and I can't emphasize this enough:

There wasn't a potential work stoppage looming when Lynn was traded. There is now. Because of that, I think that trade-deadline players will have less value this season than they would in typical years.

I could be wrong, and hope I am, but I truly don't believe you'll see Gibson, Kennedy, Gallo, or any other player we might trade, pull in the type of return that we would get in any other year. One year post-covid, plus the CBA uncertainty...doesn't bode well. Again, just my opinion.
You definitely have the right to be skeptical. In the back of my mind, I am too. I was disappointed with what we got for Darvish so I'm probably going to be disappointed with the return on Gibson.

It seems like a good rule of thumb for people who follow Major League Baseball is as follows :

When the rangers are good and trying to compete.. prices are high. Teams expect lots of prospects for talent and they get it.

When the rangers are bad and trying to rebuildprices are low. Seems like the same teams who are good right now like the Yankees and dodgers are also the same teams with deep farm systems. The problem is these teams always choose to be stingy in giving up prospects before they go to the playoffs with flawed rotations and usually lose. Teams should be aggressively going after guys like lance Lynn and Gibson but it just seems like they aren't for some reason. Maybe teams don't like dealing with our front office.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
It won't be a shut out. Gallo with another bomb.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
https://www.mlb.com/news/bold-mlb-predictions-for-july

Quote:

6) Kumar Rocker will get drafted ahead of Jack Leiter.

Honestly, the top end of this Draft doesn't really lend itself to much in the realm of "bold" predictions, because there are a handful of players who would all be perfectly reasonable selections at No. 1 overall, including both of these prominent Vanderbilt pitchers. But every major mock draft to date -- in line with industry consensus -- has Leiter ahead of Rocker. (The latest mock from MLB Pipeline's Jim Callis has Leiter to the Rangers at No. 2 and Rocker to the Royals at No. 7)

Leiter, though, has an unusual amount of leverage in signing bonus discussions. The biggest household name (because of his famous father and the extensive coverage of his college career), Leiter is a Draft-eligible sophomore who could potentially demand and command above-slot money even if he doesn't go 1-1. And depending on how pre-Draft negotiations go, that leverage could land him lower than some fans expect -- just imagine if it somehow landed him at No. 10 overall, where his dad's Mets would be waiting.

With the Pirates widely expected to go with a prep shortstop (Callis and Jonathan Mayo both have Marcelo Mayer at the top of their mocks), it will be interesting to see where the first college arm lands. Were finances not a factor, Leiter would be the top arm taken. But some evaluators view Rocker as potentially having the higher ceiling and, perhaps, the lower cost.

However it all shakes out, Leiter and Rocker are the most intriguing teammate tandem in the Draft since UCLA's Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer both went in the top three a decade ago.

Quote:

9) The Cubs will acquire Kyle Gibson.

Right now, evaluators are scrambling to make sense of the effects of the midseason enforcement of the foreign substance rules. Some pitchers who once thrived on high fastballs are suddenly no longer able to execute those pitches quite as convincingly, while sinker-slider guys with command are more valuable than ever.

That makes Gibson a really intriguing trade candidate. He was already having a hugely successful season (his 2.00 ERA and 220 ERA+ both lead the AL), but the environment -- and an affordable salary for 2022 -- adds to his allure.

Lots of teams will be interested in Gibson, but the Cubs are an especially intriguing fit. They are the big-market team most comfortably below the luxury-tax threshold. And though the front office did its darnedest to initiate a transition year with the offseason trade of Yu Darvish, the Cubs have played themselves into contention yet again. Barring a collapse in the next couple weeks, the Cubs need to do right by their clubhouse and get the rotation help needed to ease the pressure on a surprisingly good 'pen and allow the North Siders to advance. Gibson would accomplish just that.

Writer makes some good points. I quoted the ones that pertain to the rangers. Interesting that everyone thinks the team ahead of us will grab a shortstop so Leiter should be there for the taking.

Grapesoda2525
In regard to rocker vs. Leiter

Rocker's 3-year college career: 28-9 record, 2.79 ERA, 232.1 innings, 163 hits, 315 SO, 0,986 WHIP & 12.3 SO9

Leiter's 2-year college career: 13-4 record, 2.08 ERA, 125.3 innings, 53 hits, 201 SO, 0.844 WHIP & 14.4 SO9

if both are there at #2 the only problem i would have is deciding which one to take.

Rocker got lit up yesterday in the World Series final, but I still think given the fact that this team hasn't developed an ace quality pitcher since before I was born (Kevin Brown). I'd have to with 1 of the 2 and inject some major pitching talent into our minor league system who sorely needs it.
powerbelly
AG
Rockers mid-season velocity drop still worries me. I prefer Leiter
Trucker 96
I'm concerned about Rocker getting rocked at times this year - pardon the pun. Just makes me wonder if he's a guy that has leaned in heavily on his power and it's plenty to dominate most college hitters, but some of these top level hitters are handling it. And yeah, that velocity drop was odd.
KT 90
AG
FYI: Day game today, Rangers up early 1-0 in the 2nd.
KT 90
AG
Interesting read, thanks for posting. Did not realize that Leiter had the extra leverage, but I doubt he comes back to college. He's ready to move on and I'm sure he's ready to start pro ball as well. Not that he and his agent won't use that leverage to their advantage though....
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

FYI: Day game today, Rangers up early 1-0 in the 2nd.

Dunning escaped a bases loaded jam in the 2nd, still 1-0.

DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Let me guess, he is a Boras client? But yeah, your info about getting his free agent clock started asap is spot on.

edit: I guess he couldn't officially sign with Boras until today, since their season just ended. But I'd be looking for it soon.
wbt5845
AG
The only leverage Leiter has is going back to school, which reduces his pro career by two years (I think) so it's not really that much leverage.

Rangers had a similar deal in signing Mark Texiera in 2001. He could a gone back to Ga Tech, but Rangers agreed to put him on the 40 man roster right at signing, even though he played one season of minor league ball.

Maybe Lieter can be sold on a similar deal.
wbt5845
AG
Gallo is raking it. Let's get him signed long term!
KT 90
AG
Gallo is out of his mind right now.... another bomb. He's 3 for 3 today.
KT 90
AG
WTH is John Hicks??? He just hit a bomb.

(he's a catcher called up to replace an injury Jose Trevino)

wbt5845
AG
KT 90 said:

WTH is John Hicks??? He just hit a bomb.

(he's a catcher called up to replace an injury Jose Trevino)

Trevino hurt himself by falling down getting out of the bathtub. This team is chatting new frontiers.
gigem1223
Is it any coincidence that Gallo started raking once MLB started enforcing the sticky stuff rules?
DallasAg 94
vander54
S
gigem1223 said:

Is it any coincidence that Gallo started raking once MLB started enforcing the sticky stuff rules?

gigem1223
vander54 said:

gigem1223 said:

If they truly believe that then they better extend him NOW.
gigem1223
Wow we won a series in Oakland? Feels like it's been years.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Who are you to decide that they don't plan on competing in 2022?
DallasAg 94
vander54
S
What date did umpires start checking pitchers for illegal substances?
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Someone who can look at a roster and realize regardless what they say... they haven't committed enough to get talent in.

If Gallo and Gibson are still here Aug. 1, they're going for it next year.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
We don't have the talent to go for anything
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
vander54
S
vander54 said:

What date did umpires start checking pitchers for illegal substances?

So June 21 is when they started checking.

The Rangers are 7-3 in that time span.

Gallo is hitting .375 with 8 HR, his average has climbed from .220 (June 20th) to .239.

Rangers are hitting .284 during the same time. They are hitting .235 for the year

Granted it could just be a hot streak but it's worth keeping an eye on.
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Someone who can look at a roster and realize regardless what they say... they haven't committed enough to get talent in.
If Gallo and Gibson are still here Aug. 1, they're going for it next year.
Do you think we have the talent to compete next year.

I think we had more talent Dec 7, 2020... than we do now. There is no way JD would be so stupid as to keep Gallo and Gibson. Even if they are on the team Aug 1, there is no chance JD goes for it in 2022.

<<Lynn was traded Dec 8, 2020>>

JD hit on some FA signings... missed on some FA signing. Average off-season at-best. He'll pick up a few good FAs and a few not so good FAs in the off-season.

Or was JD hamstrung by owners not willing to spend after getting essentially no revenue?? JD can make all the offers he wants, but if the owners don't write the checks then

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.