*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

233,005 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
powerbelly
AG
The problem seems to be instead of worrying about sightlines and quick access to bathrooms and concessions they focused on crap that doesn't matter to 95% of fans. Early reviews from people I know haven't been favorable so I am in no hurry to go to a game
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
One nice thing about TBIA was great sight-lines. After the erector-set Arlington Stadium and its issues in that regard (particularly that walkway along the baselines that had people traffic literally in front of seats), Schieffer and team were maniacal about getting that right at TBIA. It sounds like between building something to accommodate a roof, building it to accommodate multi-use, and sight-lines not being a particularly hot topic since they haven't been a recent issue, some issues have crept in. Sight-lines are a quality you don't appreciate until sitting in a seat with issues
Trucker 96
And I'm not saying they didn't pay attention to them. All designs do. I just get the feeling some trade-off decisions may have been made in design that negatively impacted them, whereas the crew that designed TBIA was hyper sensitive to the topic and may have traded off differently
Schall 02
AG
It's called The Shed. What more do you need to know?
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

"Sell out" is an antiquated term. The #1 goal of these teams isn't to sell every seat in the stadium, it's to maximize short-term and long-term profit from every seat.
Yes and No... LAAA owner Art Moreno reduced the capacity of Angels Stadium, in order to drive ticket prices up. He wanted a higher end fan and took out capacity to reduce the "cheap seats" and push towards more affluence.

Rangers did the same thing from GLP (48,114) to GLF (40,300). 2017, Rangers only had 11 games over 40K, and 6 of those were Saturday. Opening Day, two against Boston (M/Tue), a Thurs, and a Friday.

So... a "sell out" is mostly a function of capacity and relative to the number of seats... and can be less a function of interest. It is also a function of ticket price. And Covid, I presume.

Having said that... the Ticket price, IMO, is a small percentage of the cost to go to a game.

The point is acting like a "sell out" is the ultimate goal is not understanding how ticketing works. Rangers could "sell out" every game of opening week/weekend if they wanted to simply by adjusting their price point to normal STH "face value" (or lower).

Teams understand this is not a way to maximize profit though. Instead they dynamically price and are often perfectly happy with a 80% sold out stadium rather than a stadium 100% sold out weeks in advance. 100% sold out weeks in advance means you left a whole lot of money on the table.
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

The next big shift in experience (sadly) is going to be gambling. Then probably VR experiences a few years after that.
You mean like 50/50

Or gaming windows like Lone Star Park where you can place bets on how many strikeouts the Rangers will have?!

You'll see betting kiosks and in-seat tablet gambling.

I said 5 years ago that gambling was the only realistic avenue live sports had to continue keeping attendance #'s up, and the Ballys acquisition just further supports that's the way we're headed. I don't like it, but it's the future.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
toucan82
Hell yeah, a hit
sburg2007
DallasAg 94 said:

Fore Left! said:

One nice thing about TBIA was great sight-lines. After the erector-set Arlington Stadium and its issues in that regard (particularly that walkway along the baselines that had people traffic literally in front of seats), Schieffer and team were maniacal about getting that right at TBIA. It sounds like between building something to accommodate a roof, building it to accommodate multi-use, and sight-lines not being a particularly hot topic since they haven't been a recent issue, some issues have crept in. Sight-lines are a quality you don't appreciate until sitting in a seat with issues
I've said this many times.

GLF is a Special Event Center and NOT a Baseball Park.

RBiA had seats directionally positioned towards the pitchers mound. GLF has them directionally positioned towards the dirt/OF line at the top of 2nd Base. Essenntially the middle of the field.

81 baseball games.
284 days without baseball.

Sight-lines in baseball are relevant only 81 days a year.

The baseball money is mostly guaranteed. Any additional revenue relative to an improved baseball experience is inconsequential (5-10K fans on 81 days) to 284 days being empty.

The NFR:

Quote:

The NFR has been held in Las Vegas at the Thomas & Mack Center since moving from Oklahoma City in 1985, selling out 10 nights of events every year and filling local hotels.

Quote:

Las Vegas Events annually projects 17,000 people in attendance at every performance at Thomas & Mack, or 170,000 total. The event has an economic impact of an estimated $200 million every year.

So, the NFR brought potentially 170K people into GLF (which would still be below 50% capacity) over 10 days that the stadium would have been empty.

For concerts, there is a market for 30K seats that doesn't really exist in DFW. AT&T is too large... AAC is too small. With predictably enclosed AC weather, GLF will be used MORE for other events than it will baseball.

And now that it is built... if we ***** enough, they can just move back to GLP with some modifications.

This x infinity
ryanhnc10
AG
Some good defense tonight. Gallo with the hose and some nice double plays turned
TDub
AG
powerbelly said:

The problem seems to be instead of worrying about sightlines and quick access to bathrooms and concessions they focused on crap that doesn't matter to 95% of fans. Early reviews from people I know haven't been favorable so I am in no hurry to go to a game

I've been to 3 games so far and absolutely love it
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
I think that Brett Martin fart and fall down play may summarize the whole season ahead
DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
IKF might be a plus defender at SS. I was worried about taking an above average 3B and turning him into a below avg. SS. Doesn't appear to be the case.

I got to experience the new park for the first time tonight.
1) They did a good job with incorporating finishes from the old ballpark on the interior of the new. If they hadn't VE'd the glass for the metal panels, It might actually be better all around.
2) The seats are 100X more comfortable than those green hip huggers.
3) The stories about the concessions are legit. 40 Minute wait for ****ty hot dogs and nachos. They didn't appear to put any effort into making new, more exciting menu options. I ate at Texas Live and will continue to do so going forward.
hawk1689
AG
How does a major league ball player not have a full web? How does that happen to what I assume is a $400 dollar glove?
wbt5845
AG
etxag18 said:

powerbelly said:

I've been to 3 games so far and absolutely love it
I too love the new stadium. My seats are in Section 211. Men's room and grab and go stand right behind my section. Gourmet hot dogs right behind me as well. Big screen directly in front of me.

I don't really go to the ball game to admire architecture, partake in fine dining or assess sight lines and angles. I go to watch baseball, drink some beers, eat some hot dogs and enjoy being there. I also like Karbach brews so I'm a big fan of the new craft beer vendor.

I know all the baseball snobs tell me I'm supposed to hate the place and make fun of it. I know it gives a lot of people a nubber and feel of superiority to trash a $1.2B stadium.

But me and my wife really enjoy the new place. We'll REALLY enjoy it for the August Sunday afternoon games. There were only about a hundred of us out there for those games previously, but there are tens of thousands online saying the heat wasn't that bad. Some kind of disconnect there.
powerbelly
AG
Sight lines matter. There are seats in the stadium that you cant view the whole field from. Hard to watch baseball when you cant see the whole field.
Mr Gigem
AG
powerbelly said:

Sight lines matter. There are seats in the stadium that you cant view the whole field from. Hard to watch baseball when you cant see the whole field.

Show me a baseball stadium that doesn't have seats where you can't see the whole field
Mr Gigem
AG
hawk1689 said:

IKF might be a plus defender at SS. I was worried about taking an above average 3B and turning him into a below avg. SS. Doesn't appear to be the case.

I got to experience the new park for the first time tonight.
1) They did a good job with incorporating finishes from the old ballpark on the interior of the new. If they hadn't VE'd the glass for the metal panels, It might actually be better all around.
2) The seats are 100X more comfortable than those green hip huggers.
3) The stories about the concessions are legit. 40 Minute wait for ****ty hot dogs and nachos. They didn't appear to put any effort into making new, more exciting menu options. I ate at Texas Live and will continue to do so going forward.

The concessions were horrendous last night. I couldn't even walk on the main concourse. Lower concourse is the place to be
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg- Have you been to a game in the new park yet? I can't remember if you said you have already or not
wbt5845
AG
powerbelly said:

I can see the whole field from my seats.
Trucker 96
Again, sight lines are an attribute that you don't appreciate until you have a seat where they are ****ed up. That said, the criticisms I've heard in this regard are secondhand, but I have heard a surprising number of them so far. I just know they were maniacal about them at TBIA and they were great
Trucker 96
Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg- Have you been to a game in the new park yet? I can't remember if you said you have already or not

He posted that he'd been to 7. I think he went to quite a few playoff games
powerbelly
AG
wbt5845 said:

powerbelly said:

I can see the whole field from my seats.

Cool story bro.
Trucker 96
Long bathroom lines, long concession waits, and overly crowded concourses are pretty inexcusable for any stadium built in the last 30 years. I'm hoping these are anecdotal and not as bad as they sound
sburg2007
I expected it on opening day, but my problem was the disaster of the concourse. Food lines were scattered all over the place from the Randomly spotted concession stands
TDub
AG
So my seats Monday we're section 32 row 12. It was nice but tough to see the LF corner which was expected. Tuesday was section 131 row 7 and they were great seats for fairly cheap. Friday was obviously the best section 17 row 1. My biggest issue is the concessions like everyone else. Each time I went they had stations closed down for some reason which made the lines super long

investorAg83
AG
Fore Left! said:

Again, sight lines are an attribute that you don't appreciate until you have a seat where they are ****ed up. That said, the criticisms I've heard in this regard are secondhand, but I have heard a surprising number of them so far. I just know they were maniacal about them at TBIA and they were great

The ONLY people that I have seen complain are on this thread. Everyone else I know that has been has said nothing but great things about the experience.
Trucker 96
I know a couple of different folks from work who echoed some of what I've seen here. Hopefully some of this is just first week operational hangups. Getting concessions flowing effectively could at least help that wait and concourse traffic
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

"Sell out" is an antiquated term. The #1 goal of these teams isn't to sell every seat in the stadium, it's to maximize short-term and long-term profit from every seat.
Yes and No... LAAA owner Art Moreno reduced the capacity of Angels Stadium, in order to drive ticket prices up. He wanted a higher end fan and took out capacity to reduce the "cheap seats" and push towards more affluence.

Rangers did the same thing from GLP (48,114) to GLF (40,300). 2017, Rangers only had 11 games over 40K, and 6 of those were Saturday. Opening Day, two against Boston (M/Tue), a Thurs, and a Friday.

So... a "sell out" is mostly a function of capacity and relative to the number of seats... and can be less a function of interest. It is also a function of ticket price. And Covid, I presume.

Having said that... the Ticket price, IMO, is a small percentage of the cost to go to a game.

The point is acting like a "sell out" is the ultimate goal is not understanding how ticketing works. Rangers could "sell out" every game of opening week/weekend if they wanted to simply by adjusting their price point to normal STH "face value" (or lower).
If you struggle to sell tickets to a brand spanking new stadium where you've reduced Capacity by 16-20% isn't about maximizing revenue. It is about setting the tone for the acceptance of the new stadium... the team... or the ownership...

Setting the tone for acceptance of the new stadium? What does that even mean?

Any struggling the Rangers are doing to sell tickets is a combination of the "new" stadium actually being a year old, the quality of team on the field being very bad, and a large percentage of people still not comfortable attending live events.

But even ignoring all of that, keying in on game-by-game attendance is simply not understanding the modern dynamics of event ticketing. Sell outs are great, but that isn't the main goal - it's a simplistic/antiquated line of thinking that you'd find in an Econ 101 book from 30 years ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.