*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,881 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
You're using Culberson, Yang, and Davis to make your argument? Wow.

Yes, they're all older, stop-gap players. But how were they acquired? Culberson was signed as a cheap free agent. So was Yang. Davis was traded for a washed up shortstop and a 28 year old minor leaguer- and oh, by the way, that trade got us our backup catcher (who is only 25) and a 22 year old pitcher. Lyles was also a FA signing, and that occurred before the Rangers went into rebuild mode, so I'm not sure why you threw him in there.

We gave up virtually nothing for those players. To get Bryant, Seagar, or any other "impact" player, we're going to have to trade away prospects.....which in turn slows down the rebuild....which keeps us perpetually in one.

Your position makes no sense.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
DallasAg 94 said:

Come on, man.

You can't argue you'd rather watch the kids play instead of retreads while arguing against replacing a 32 yo for a 29 yo who is significantly better.

Straw man argument.

The point is "at what cost". At what cost is that 29 year old player acquired.

To that end, no... no I would not prefer to watch the 29 year old, significantly better player who we had to potentially mortgage the team's future success to acquire.

I believe in short-term pain/long-term gain. You don't, and that's ok...we'll agree to disagree. I will 100% agree with you if you question the ability of the current management/ownership to effectively commit to and execute a proper rebuild, and restocking of the farm system. The Rangers need to do a massively better job of talent evaluation and development at the minor league level than they have demonstrated.

On a somewhat related note, I want to give a plug to a Rangers podcast I stumbled onto called "Diamond Pod" that is done by The Ticket. It covers the MLB team, but mostly focuses on the team's minor league players & teams. Great listen if you are interested in the prospects, and specifically how they're looking/performing. The 3 guys who do it aren't homers, they can and will be critical in their evaluations. It's free and worth trying out.

*disclaimer* I have nothing at all to do with that podcast....hell, I live in TN. I just found it & think it's good.
South Platte
Man, y'all are gluttons for punishment watching this team try to take on Houston. Even a watered down Houston team with mostly a AAA pitching staff.

It was nice to see us claw back to 18-18, but this is still the same team we thought was going struggle to get to 70 wins. So many flaws we don't even know where to begin.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

Man, y'all are gluttons for punishment watching this team try to take on Houston. Even a watered down Houston team with mostly a AAA pitching staff.

It was nice to see us claw back to 18-18, but this is still the same team we thought was going struggle to get to 70 wins. So many flaws we don't even know where to begin.
That said.. we almost beat them. Davis's double play was the killer tho.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
I you want to get technical, anybody who grew up in the Dallas area as a Ranger is a glutton for punishment. I follow them every year anyway, whether it's supposed to be a good year or a bad year or something in between.
KT 90
AG
As for 3rd base, Bryant is a free agent after this season, if we have any interest in him it needs to be a free agent signee. Seager has one more year left before he is a free agent.

Seeing that 3rd base is one of the few positions of strength in the Rangers minor league system, I think we'd be crazy to trade anything at all for either of them. Bryant can actually play OF and 1B as well I believe, so he has some flexibility at least.

But reading the tea leaves, it looks like Jung is getting primed for 3rd base. D. Wendzel has actually been playing SS down at AA and Apostel has been playing more 1B. So while all three came into the system at 3rd basemen, looks like we may be trying to find a spot for each of them (Apostel 1B, Wendzel SS, Jung 3B). We need Jung to get healthy and start playing (I believe he is back soon from his foot injury); Apostel I believe is on the 7 day injured list with a minor injury as well. But lets gets some more games under their belts at the minor league level and see what we have. One or more of them could be traded of course, but those three with IKF, Solak, and Lowe has the potential for a young infield with some talent. Find four of those six that can get it done and then sort out the positions as we go.
jtstanley4621
AG
Unfortunately I find it hard to believe that we would pony up the money to sign someone like Bryant with how cheap the ownership group appears to be
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

As for 3rd base, Bryant is a free agent after this season, if we have any interest in him it needs to be a free agent signee. Seager has one more year left before he is a free agent.

Seeing that 3rd base is one of the few positions of strength in the Rangers minor league system, I think we'd be crazy to trade anything at all for either of them. Bryant can actually play OF and 1B as well I believe, so he has some flexibility at least.

But reading the tea leaves, it looks like Jung is getting primed for 3rd base. D. Wendzel has actually been playing SS down at AA and Apostel has been playing more 1B. So while all three came into the system at 3rd basemen, looks like we may be trying to find a spot for each of them (Apostel 1B, Wendzel SS, Jung 3B). We need Jung to get healthy and start playing (I believe he is back soon from his foot injury); Apostel I believe is on the 7 day injured list with a minor injury as well. But lets gets some more games under their belts at the minor league level and see what we have. One or more of them could be traded of course, but those three with IKF, Solak, and Lowe has the potential for a young infield with some talent. Find four of those six that can get it done and then sort out the positions as we go.

I can't imagine any of these guys being contributors at the MLB level in 2022:

Apostel (22-@AA) is Rule V eligible. Hitting .273 w/ 0 HRs, this year.
Wendzel (23-@AA) is about to be 24. Hitting .240 w 2 HRs, this year.
Jung (23-@?) should be back in a few weeks from having a screw put in his ankle.

IKF: FA after 2024
Solak: FA after 2025

Our SP has been a constant revolving door.

Gibson - FA after 2022
Dunning (26) - Control through like 2026. He has 33.1 in 7 GS (about 14 outs/GS). Rarely has a hitter seen him 3 times in a game (33%).
Arihara - FA after 2022
Folty - FA after 2021
Lyles - Throw away.

So, we have 1 SP under control for 2023. I know that is a long ways away... but that's a ton of pitching to fill.

And that is why moving out of the "re-building phase) will seem perpetual.

Um, sample sizes? Wednzel has 25 at-bats so far, Apostel has 22. Scott Lucas has been complimentary of both in his email updates that I have seen. I do expect at least one of those three to be in the MLB in 2022, probably Jung, but it could be any of them. And as I said, out of those 6 infielders mentioned, we need to piece together a competent infield out of 4 of them. All of them won't be around, somebody will get traded, hurt, no make it, etc. I do expect an extension for one or both of IKF and Solak. Maybe we trade one of them depending on the development of the three minor leaguers.

Yes, our rotation has been a revolving door, but it's been effective thus far this year. This wasn't really about the starting rotation though.
DallasAg 94
Disco Stu
AG
Apostel is on the 40 and not Rule V eligible.
TV Casualty
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Unfortunately I find it hard to believe that we would pony up the money to sign someone like Bryant with how cheap the ownership group appears to be

The other question would be, why would Bryant even want to come play here?

It would certainly take way over market value to get it done.
xjrayx
AG
Hey, we won't get no hit at least thanks to IKF!!
jpb1999
AG
Would anyone be interested in Astros/Rangers tickets for tomorrow (Sunday) at 1:10 PM? Section 116, Row 7. Seats 5-8. Face value.

Spane Bohem

WestTexasAg
AG
I'm feeling more optimistic about the position players on this team. Like many of you said, starting pitching is a long way from being solved. Position players though:

1B - Lowe has been a nice surprise. Could actually be a long term fit.
2B - Solak is a future all star in my opinion. At least a solid hitter with some pop
SS - IKF is a solid, underappreciated player. Elite defender. If he can continue to produce at or near the level he is now, he could be our SS for a long time
3B - Glaring hole in our lineup. If we wanted to make a big free agent signing, 3B is the spot. Jung may be the future, but we have no way of knowing that for sure yet.
LF - This spot is actually interesting. Willie Calhoun can play it, but I like him at DH. Keep Willie's bat in the lineup any way you can. Dude can hit.
CF - Biggest surprise so far. Adolis Garcia has been amazing! Can that continue? If so, he could be in CF or LF for us for a good while.
RF - Gallo is entrenched there....for now. His swing and miss/strikeout rate remains too high for the amount of production we are getting. Will he be trade bait, or part of of the future?
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

I'm feeling more optimistic about the position players on this team. Like many of you said, starting pitching is a long way from being solved. Position players though:

2B - Solak is a future all star in my opinion. At least a solid hitter with some pop
SS - IKF is a solid, underappreciated player. Elite defender. If he can continue to produce at or near the level he is now, he could be our SS for a long time
3B - Glaring hole in our lineup. If we wanted to make a big free agent signing, 3B is the spot. Jung may be the future, but we have no way of knowing that for sure yet.
LF - This spot is actually interesting. Willie Calhoun can play it, but I like him at DH. Keep Willie's bat in the lineup any way you can. Dude can hit.
CF - Biggest surprise so far. Adolis Garcia has been amazing! Can that continue? If so, he could be in CF or LF for us for a good while.
RF - Gallo is entrenched there....for now. His swing and miss/strikeout rate remains too high for the amount of production we are getting. Will he be trade bait, or part of of the future?
You forgot C.

I agree with most of what you posted. As is... A 3B and a LH guy that can play OF would be a nice lineup.

Having said that.
1B: Lowe
2B: Solak - FA after 2025
SS: IKF - FA after 2024
3B: Open
LF: Calhoun - FA after 2024
CF - Adolis Garcia
RF - Gallo - FA after 2022
C - Trevino - FA after 2025
DH - Davis - FA after 2021

If we bounce 2022 for rebuilding... it will be 2023 to make a push. We'll lose IKF and Calhoun after 2024 and Solak and Trevino after 2025.

That would mean our window is 2 year ('23 & '24)... possibly 3. Sure... you can lock them up, but now we are playing the payroll game of "we can't afford FAs because we want to keep our players."

Now do pitching. We have Dunning controlled after 2022. So we will need 4 SPs in 2023, beit internal or FA.
Our position players actually does look like some progress is being made.

It's a massive kick in the nuts that we don't seem to have near major league ready players (especially pitchers) in triple A / double A tho. We need the farm to get deeper at the top levels.
wbt5845
AG
Dodgers sign Pujols. Not sure why.

Send Beaty down? Is Pujols an upgrade? DH for intraleague?
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
I thought Burke was supposed to be pretty good. Hearn too.

Are those guys looking like "misses" now? It seems like people always talk about Palumbo, but the guy can't seem to stay on the major league roster.
Trucker 96
Burke had a shoulder injury requiring surgery that he's just now getting back from. TJ's happen and guys recover. Shoulders , on the other hand, tend to be a kiss of slow career death
Trucker 96
When Wood entered the game, did anyone else have the "Look at this ****ing guy" scene from Major League enter their mind?
xjrayx
AG
Won't matter because I don't think we will come all the way back, but nice to finally get a big spot homer from Joey again.
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

You forgot C.

I agree with most of what you posted. As is... A 3B and a LH guy that can play OF would be a nice lineup.

Having said that.
1B: Lowe
2B: Solak - FA after 2025
SS: IKF - FA after 2024
3B: Open
LF: Calhoun - FA after 2024
CF - Adolis Garcia
RF - Gallo - FA after 2022
C - Trevino - FA after 2025
DH - Davis - FA after 2021

If we bounce 2022 for rebuilding... it will be 2023 to make a push. We'll lose IKF and Calhoun after 2024 and Solak and Trevino after 2025.

That would mean our window is 2 year ('23 & '24)... possibly 3. Sure... you can lock them up, but now we are playing the payroll game of "we can't afford FAs because we want to keep our players."

Now do pitching. We have Dunning controlled after 2022. So we will need 4 SPs in 2023, beit internal or FA.
Not sure how I missed catcher! Yes, Trevino is a decent player.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
This road trip has been a total disaster. I just hope the young players learn something from it.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Gibson pitching well today.

All Star? 4th lowest ERA in AL.
wbt5845
AG
BTW - got ATT TV for a few months to watch the Rangers and DAMN David Murphy makes my ears bleed.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm just glad they're hitting a skid to tamp down any notion of trading prospects to make a run at the playoffs.
rbtexan
S
wbt5845 said:

BTW - got ATT TV for a few months to watch the Rangers and DAMN David Murphy makes my ears bleed.
The Ranger's TV broadcast team, in my mind, leaves a lot to be desired.

I thought Steve Busby and Jim Sundberg were great back in the day. Grieve was really good too, but he's easing towards retirement. Not a fan of Raymond/Nitkowski/Murphy. It's like the three musketeers of mediocrity.
JMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.