*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,946 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trucker 96
You can wish in one hand and **** in the other and see what fills up first. That fantasy is lovely, but it's not happening.

We tell pitchers and catchers where to be. Here's a bit more. And I don't think more offense and more balls in play will run anyone off
wbt5845
AG
BTW - Cole Winn got beat up Tuesday night. 3 2/3 innings; 5 ERs on 3 H with all being HRs; 4 BBs. First bad start of the season.
_lefraud_
AG
Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sport. Doing it at the Major League level, with guys throwing 100+, using a wooden bat, yea, it's not just a "hit it where they're not" kind of solution. Two fielders on each side of second base, with heels touching the dirt.

To increase viewership, it's all about increasing the pace.
- Batters stay in the box
- No warm up pitches
- No multiple pickoffs
- No mound visits (catcher or manager)

and flame away...but if a batter fouls one off with 2 strikes...they are out.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
No multiple pickoffs would be a horrible idea. Pickoff once and don't get him and the runner's gone. Fine with the rest but that would be the law of unintended consequences put to work.

On second thought, no mound visits would be odd as well. The umps just need to stop giving so much leeway and letting them last an hour. If they stand there and ignore the umpire then eject the coach and the pitcher.
powerbelly
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sport. Doing it at the Major League level, with guys throwing 100+, using a wooden bat, yea, it's not just a "hit it where they're not" kind of solution. Two fielders on each side of second base, with heels touching the dirt.

- No warm up pitches
- No multiple pickoffs

We might as well just stop playing baseball. What you are describing is a different game.
_lefraud_
AG
Fair enough, but the fans knowing a runner is likely going to try and swipe a base (after an unsuccessful pickoff) would be exciting.

Maybe each unsuccessful pickoff is counted as a ball for the batter?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I also don't think it's something that happens enough to really affect the length of the game. And if the pitcher isn't allowed to throw over, the runner isn't going to just try to steal. You may as well give him the next bag.

There are definitely changes that can be made, but that one is full of issues. Even if you just make it a ball if the pick is unsuccessful.
Tastybrisket10
AG
Agree. Making full shifts could be a limited thing also, like 3 times a game you may do a full defensive shift, probably better than limiting mound visits or replays.
Faustus
powerbelly said:

_lefraud_ said:

- No warm up pitches
- No multiple pickoffs

We might as well just stop playing baseball. What you are describing is a different game.

Foul ball after strike 2 being an out will help pitchers get the strikeout rate up, which can only help the game given the current league record pace.
AustinAg2K
_lefraud_ said:

Fair enough, but the fans knowing a runner is likely going to try and swipe a base (after an unsuccessful pickoff) would be exciting.

Maybe each unsuccessful pickoff is counted as a ball for the batter?

Likely to swipe a bag? How about guaranteed. Without a pickoff, the runner will always take off as soon as the pitcher gets the ball. There's no reason not to. Even the slowest runners in baseball could probably get to second.
Tastybrisket10
AG
I really don't think decreasing the time of a game by 30 minutes will make more people watch baseball who aren't currently watching. Baseball is a slow pace game and there's nothing that can be done to change it without changing the integrity of the game. Implementing pace of game rules impacting gameplay is dumb and doesn't change the feel of the game to being any faster for the common fan. You bring in more eyes by improving the game on the field and hyping up the talent so people will pay to watch - two things MLB stinks at improving.
dvldog
AG
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclair-aiming-for-23-month-streaming-plan-for-bally-sports-in-2022/

Quote:

Sources say Sinclair has been telling potential investors that "it aims to charge $23 a month to fans who want to stream games in markets where it owns sports broadcasting rights."

As far as timing, Sinclair reportedly wants the service to launch before the 2022 baseball season.

Trucker 96
$23/month? Pipe dream. They are grossly overestimating the value of what they have purchased
_lefraud_
AG
No kidding, I'd probably pay $5 a month to watch the Rangers/Stars/Mavs.
powerbelly
AG
dvldog said:

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclair-aiming-for-23-month-streaming-plan-for-bally-sports-in-2022/

Quote:

Sources say Sinclair has been telling potential investors that "it aims to charge $23 a month to fans who want to stream games in markets where it owns sports broadcasting rights."

As far as timing, Sinclair reportedly wants the service to launch before the 2022 baseball season.

This is what is killing interest in baseball.
DeangeloVickers
AG
powerbelly said:

dvldog said:

Quote:

This is what is killing interest in baseball.
Exacty...its the Longhorn Network.....seems like a great idea....but you add price and hide the channel...no one watches and you lose more interest.
KT 90
AG
K. Rocker pitching on ESPN2 right now, 6IP, 2H, 0 R, 10K. Haven't seen a lot of it, but looks good from the bit I've seen.

KT 90
AG
dvldog said:

Quote:

Does that mean you have to pay $23 if you don't already have the channel as part of your tv package? (Sorry, I haven't read the link, and have to get back to work).

Trucker 96
Yes, that would be for streamers who aren't getting elsewhere. I have DTV so have it all for now, but these delusions of grandeur make me wonder how long that relationship will last
TV Casualty
AG
_lefraud_ said:

_lefraud_
AG
Why would it be so terrible?
powerbelly
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Why would it be so terrible?

It completely changes the game. It isn't beer league softball.
_lefraud_
AG
How does it completely change the game?
dave94
AG
_lefraud_ said:

How does it completely change the game?

You don't think that eliminating the chance of an 8-pitch duel between a pitcher and hitter is something that would change the game?
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, 99% of the fans don't care about some "duel" between pitcher/batter. I would argue those 99% would want to see an ace go 7 or 8 innings, instead of 5.

I just have never really understood giving a batter multiple chances after two strikes. Getting a foul tip/ball is just another swing that the batter "missed" on...so why keep giving him chances?

Again, it's all about excitement/expectation. As a fan, I'm going to get much more excited about an AB when the batter has two strikes, as I know the next pitch is likely to result in some sort of action.
powerbelly
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Yea, 99% of the fans don't care about some "duel" between pitcher/batter. I would argue those 99% would want to see an ace go 7 or 8 innings, instead of 5.

I just have never really understood giving a batter multiple chances after two strikes. Getting a foul tip/ball is just another swing that the batter "missed" on...so why keep giving him chances?

Again, it's all about excitement/expectation. As a fan, I'm going to get much more excited about an AB when the batter has two strikes, as I know the next pitch is likely to result in some sort of action.

I think you have completely misjudged baseball fans.

_lefraud_
AG
Right. But we aren't talking about keeping the current fans...we are talking about gaining new fans.
powerbelly
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Right. But we aren't talking about keeping the current fans...we are talking about gaining new fans.

At what cost? If you alienate the current fans you are no better off.
_lefraud_
AG
None of these ideas (save the pick-off one) are any more drastic than some of the rules MLB implemented this year with minimum batters faced, starting a guy on 2B for extra or shortening double header games.
TV Casualty
AG
_lefraud_ said:

I care about those duels. They actually add a lot of drama to the game. That's not really one of the biggest reasons this is a bad idea though.

It's already difficult on hitters to be successful and now you are wanting to give the pitches a huge advantage. All this will do is artificially drive up pitching stats. You wouldn't just have aces routinely going 8 innings you would see average to bad pitchers doing it as well.

The game would turn into a parade of outs. It would seriously break the game of baseball. I'm not sure that you have really thought about just how many outs this would generate in a game and over a season.

No one wants to see a close game in the ninth end on a foul ball in the dirt.
powerbelly
AG
_lefraud_ said:

None of these ideas (save the pick-off one) are any more drastic than some of the rules MLB implemented this year with minimum batters faced, starting a guy on 2B for extra or shortening double header games.

Disagree. All of your ideas are more radical.
Tastybrisket10
AG
That idea isn't even worth debating. Every single record in the MLB recordbook would need to have an asterisk that is so radically bad.
investorAg83
AG
_lefraud_ said:

WTF are you talking about??? Lol
rbtexan
S
_lefraud_ said:

No disrespect intended here, but this sounds like the comment of someone who has been a baseball fan for about 15 minutes.

Baseball isn't football, it isn't basketball, it isn't hockey. It's a game of strategy and skill. And before you try to make the argument that fans don't want that, I would ask the rhetorical question "what is the most popular sport in the world?"

Soccer. One of the (superficially) most boring games known to man.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.