*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,883 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Jimmy McNulty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long does it usually take to lock down first round picks?
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

So you would rather sign some free agents now that will be on the tail end of their deals by the time we are competitive just so we can shows some money on the books for 2023?

Money on the books doesnt help a team not competing for 2 years.
That isn't what I've said at all. You have to amass talent into the organization. You have to be strategic.

I'm tired of playing your silly little game.

Your premise is... you can't justify signing ANY player unless we know we are going to win a World Series. The Rangers should field only Serfs and Arbs until they have enough talent to win a WS.

You seem to be avoiding the question. If, as you say above, you have to amass talent into the organization and be strategic -- what would you like to be spending 2023 money on right now. Just give me a few examples of what you'd spend it on so I can see where your mind is at.
jtstanley4621
AG
Batten down the hatched, a stat based manifesto is incoming!
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
I could go through piece by piece, but your analysis is pretty much summed up in the first player you name:

Keep Gibson. Tell him you will keep him if he takes a one year extension.

You are living in fantasy land if you think one of the best pitchers in baseball so far this year is going to agree to a 1-year extension.

Like always, you throw out a ton of words and "analysis", but nothing really has any weight to it.
powerbelly
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Keep Gibson. Tell him you will keep him if he takes a one year extension.

This is totally unrealistic.
rbtexan
S
There's so much fail in that post I don't even know where to start, but I'll pile on regarding Gibson.

You want to extend him. It will take multiple years & millions of $ in contract to get him to do that. But let's just say the Rangers were willing to do that. You want to extend a pitcher who will be 34, coming off (by FAR) the best season of his career. Do you not recognize that his performance this season is an anomaly? Look at the body of his work...THAT'S who he is. You want to extend a 4.50-5.50 ERA pitcher at age 34? Really?

Extend Kennedy? Good lord. He's 36, and regardless of who gets extended, this team isn't a contender next season. By the time this team will be ready to make a serious run, he'll be 39ish. No...hell no...you trade him and get what you can.

Extending Gallo is the only point you made that I think might make any sense at all. That's unlikely to happen either, because his agent is Scott Boras.

I've seen nothing to indicate Lynn has any interest in coming back, but he'll be 35 next season. He's having a great year this year, but how much more does he have in the tank? Who knows? And what amount of $ and how many years will it take to get him to come back?

You're talking about gambling on a bunch of players in their mid to high 30s for some unrealistic pennant run in the next season or two. You're basically hoping this organization burdens itself with a handful of Odor/ARod-ish contracts that we'll be stuck with for years, regardless of future performance. Hogwash. I'm sure glad you're not in the Rangers' front office. At least you answered one question....I always wondered what ever happened to Brad Corbett, and now I know. He's posting on TA as DallasAg94.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
You basically want us to go back to the mid-2000's Rangers. No real long-term plan, add some name guys along the way and win 80ish games but never be a real threat.
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
Except then you'll play hindsight GM with it... In one post you're wanting us to just spend $30-$40m on good but not great guys that might help us be a 85 win team instead of a 75 win team the next 2 years but are unlikely to help us 2013 and beyond.

But then you turn around and complain when we only go as high as 6yr/32M for a great guy that winds up getting 7yr/35M elsewhere.

That doesn't work anymore... Hell it didn't really work "back then", but when it was the A's, Mariners and Angels you could at least make the case that it might be good enough to win the division. But when a new team in our division ushered in the "if you're going to be bad, be historically bad" era the days of that being a viable approach ended.

It's all about windows now. And we were never going to thrive during the window the Astros had when they had cheap top draft pick talent on their major league roster and money to spend on big time free agents. That window is closing in the next year or so now that those players are becoming expensive and the franchise has to make decisions. When that window closes is when we hope our window will be opening up. To take advantage of that windows we want to have good young talent as well as money to spend on big time free agents.

What we don't want is for that window to open up and we're piece-mealing together a good but not great team that might win the division but isn't going to do much else.
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
They've got a few pieces to build around. I do think covid has made this an interesting and unique offseason to see if you can't accelerate the rebuild with FA. I have zero faith in this ownership group doing so, but an opportunity exists.
Proposition Joe
DallasAg 94 said:

I'll be honest... I've never heard that strategy.

So, you are going to let the Astros win unabated until they get tired of winning and then, you hope you have the talent to win the Division?

I don't see a scenario where the BoSox, Yankees, and Dodgers are going to play along.

When is this fantasy window you think the Astros are going to stand down and say, "We are too tired of winning. Your turn."

Except I literally pointed out the Astros window is closing, not that they are "too tired of winning".

And you don't see a scenario where the BoSox, Yankees and Dodgers play along like that because guess what? The BoSox, Yankees and Dodgers are willing to spend $200+ million every single year on a team.

If we were willing/able to do that? Then windows wouldn't matter. Astros could tank and compile a stacked roster like they had a few years back and with $200m at our disposal we could still compete with that.

At $100-$120m? Not likely.

I think where you constantly get stuck (aide from playing hindsight GM and cherry-picking the producers that we "should have signed" and thinking guys like Gibson can just be "extended 1yr") is that you want this team to build a roster like it's a Top 5 spender, but then you turnaround acknowledge that they aren't a Top 5 spender.

I won't knock anyone that complains about ownership not being willing to invest heavily in this team - we all would prefer owners that spend a ton of money. But under the constraints that we're obviously playing with financially (whether justified or not), trying to just "sign some ok guys" every year is only doing one thing - taking away money that we could use to "sign some good guys" when we're ready to contend.
jtstanley4621
AG
I think it's equally fantasy to say that the Astros are going to win perpetually. Every team has windows that open and close. Nobody sustains being good forever, and certainly nobody will choose when they want to stop winning. That's just silly.

Searching for how to fix our team with players in the MLB right now is not the way to go IMO. It has been and always will be that you have to do the majority of fixing through developing and acquiring talent in the minors. That is always going to be the lifeblood of your team year in and out.

I still maintain that I think we are better off trading Gallo and Gibson, even if we're not getting a ton of prospects in return for them. The reason for this is that we will likely get guys whose trajectory falls in line with the guys we have in the minors right now. Those moves will nearly certainly translate to having a higher draft pick this year than we do right now. Possibly the same thing for the season after that, but that's part of a rebuild which we are ABSOLUTELY in the middle of right now. Get what you can for your good players wasting away on a bad team and look to the future with high draft selections and good development of talent in the minors.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I bet the Toronto players are enjoying these extra game checks that aren't getting Canadian taxes.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Disco Stu
AG
International draft?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So now I want to know. If Culberson had managed to catch that ball on the other with the net there is it an out? Or does it count like if it bounced off the wall?
Ag_07
AG
Damn wrong thread but I'll leave it here.

These All Star uniforms are the worst uniforms ever.

Hold my beer watch this - Chicago White Sox
gigem1223
Just a 1/2 game back from the #3 pick
DallasAg 94
Disco Stu
AG
Sounds nothing like a draft to me.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Lance Lynn signs two year extension with the Sox. 2yr/$38M is what I saw, so that would be $19M annually. I would've expected him to get more than that. I know age is a factor, but that doesn't sound like much for someone pitching at the level he has been.

DannyDuberstein
AG
This is why I think covid has set up a temporary opportunity to accelerate if one was interested in doing so. This is not a normal time, and I think there is the opportunity for a FA approach to offer a different value than it normally would
KT 90
AG
No game today, rainout. DH on Sunday:

KT 90
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

This is why I think covid has set up a temporary opportunity to accelerate if one was interested in doing so. This is not a normal time, and I think there is the opportunity for a FA approach to offer a different value than it normally would

The potential work stoppage next year is a factor as well. I'd assume some teams may be hesitant to extend big $$ deals until that is resolved... which may present an opportunity to get a "deal" for those teams willing to spend a little money.

DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
dave94
AG
Why's the game postponed tonight?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.