*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,849 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've posted numerous times that the 2022 market is worth exploring because it's a unique situation. That said, I think the only guys interested in coming to the current dumpster fire would be Chan Ho Park and Kevin Millwood types, which throwing money at guys like that only hurts you in 2023-2026. They need another year to build a better sales story
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
I don't care who knows who I am, it's right there in my profile. At my age I just have a gigantic case of "I don't give a #@#" .

Back to the subject of FA signings, and I don't want to be presumptuous and speak for others, but IMO I think the time to really dive deep into the FA market is after the '22 season. I'm on board with trying to sign some players after this season, but I think the organization makes a much more compelling argument for be close to competing when the Frisco kids have another year under their belt. We're going to need so, so many players next season I simply don't think it's possible to fill enough holes to make a significant difference....and I would rather see most of that money available for what I hope will be the big splurge before the '23 season. JMO
DannyDuberstein
AG
My interest in at least looking around in 22 is due to it looking like a buyers market due to supply from covid deals + the cba. Normally I'd say no way and keep my powder dry until the prospects are further along. But this is a unique year which I think warrants exploring given the payroll is zilch.

Maybe that exploration uncovers nothing worth pulling the trigger on, because again, the last thing I want them to do is overpay for some mediocre crap that only hampers them later. I'm just advocating taking a close look
rbtexan
S
Completely agree with all of that, and I think they will explore all the options. I'm just afraid given the likely state of the '22 roster, the Rangers would have to overpay to get the guys they really want. If so, they'd better be right about everyone they sign.
Mr Gigem
AG

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yep. Given the state of the team, they probably have to overpay to get anyone worthwhile. It really boils down to what qualifies as an overpay in the '22 market and how it stacks up to deals signed in other years. I'm assuming there will be nothing worthwhile outside of the Lynn and Gibson type deals they've been doing
hawk1689
AG
I'd like them to take a shot on a guy like Eddie Rosario. Past performer having a down year. Middle of the lineup bat who might sign a one year prove it deal. I could also see Michael Conforto filling this role. They can't bank on Taveras being an everyday player and DJ Peters ain't gonna cut it.

I don't want to see them sign a bunch of scrap heap pitchers and then give them 15 starts before they cut bait. We've had young pitching talent for about three years now that needs to get major league innings instead of guys like Jordan Lyles, Mike Foltynewicz, Drew Smyly, and Shelby Miller. These young guys might get shelled, but their book isn't already written. I'm not talking about rushing our premier talent up either. I'm referring to guys like Joe Palumbo, Taylor Hearn, Tyler Phillips, Brett Martin, Jonathan Hernandez, Kolby Allard, and Brock Burke. I'm aware that some of these guys have been used out of the bullpen. I would have rather seen them given a shot to start and fail than watch the other guys...fail.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

My interest in at least looking around in 22 is due to it looking like a buyers market due to supply from covid deals + the cba. Normally I'd say no way and keep my powder dry until the prospects are further along. But this is a unique year which I think warrants exploring given the payroll is zilch.

Maybe that exploration uncovers nothing worth pulling the trigger on, because again, the last thing I want them to do is overpay for some mediocre crap that only hampers them later. I'm just advocating taking a close look

Agree totally. Who are the projected free agents following the 22 season? If there is a young stud, I wouldn't mind throwing a long term deal at them under the premise of "build the team around you", if there is someone worthwhile out there to throw money at.

DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Yeah, I was thinking someone in their late 20's (30 at absolute max), but you are right most of those get locked up. Maybe there will be a possibility that slips through, but probably a longshot there. I'll check out your link later.

DallasAg 94
EastSideAg2002
Jake Arrieta released. Sure we will be seeing him in spring training.
jtstanley4621
AG
Arrieta is 35 this season. I could see him straight up retiring. But no doubt he reeks of the bargain bin signings JD loved. Anyone remember Tim Lincecum's tenure here?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd honestly be surprised if the Rangers don't sign him.
rbtexan
S
He'd be a JD special
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sad year when I'm a ton more interested in watching White Sox - Yankees.

Cool opening except for Kevin Costner walking around like an old guy that can't find his car for 5 minutes before the players finally appeared
KT 90
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

I'd honestly be surprised if the Rangers don't sign him.

#truth.

Pretty sure I remember reading he has a house in the Austin area somewhere (a couple years ago). It would be a match made in heaven.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

Yeah, I was thinking someone in their late 20's (30 at absolute max), but you are right most of those get locked up. Maybe there will be a possibility that slips through, but probably a longshot there. I'll check out your link later.

As an example... you are probably looking for players like Kris Bryant. He will be a FA after this season and he'll be 30 next year. Would you sign a 30 year old Kris Bryant to say a 6 year deal at like $30M+?

Do you build around him?

No, I'm not breaking the bank for Bryant. He's a pretty good player, but not a build your team around type.
agsalaska
AG
For the official record.

My 9 year old son is a baseball fanatic. Player and fan. We watched Field of Dreams last night together and he absolutely loved it. Watching the game now.

Going for the White Sox
investorAg83
AG
agsalaska said:

For the official record.

My 9 year old son is a baseball fanatic. Player and fan. We watched Field of Dreams last night together and he absolutely loved it. Watching the game now.

Going for the White Sox

This whole thing tonight is awesome.

Regarding the movieI'm hard pressed to think of a movie that is more divisive. People either love it or hate it. There are very few in betweeners. Surprised a 9 year old loved it.
agsalaska
AG
investorAg83 said:

agsalaska said:

For the official record.

Going for the White Sox

This whole thing tonight is awesome.

Regarding the movieI'm hard pressed to think of a movie that is more divisive. People either love it or hate it. There are very few in betweeners. Surprised a 9 year old loved it.
Really?

Seems to me it was written for a 9 year old. I was 12 when it came out and it was by far my favorite movie.

Other than a couple of funny moments about smoking grass and the Thomas Mann masturbation allegations, the entire thing is a childhood fantasy. I think that was the real target.

I spent the afternoon on the road and from Belton to Moody I was explaining to him the Black Sox scandal.
investorAg83
AG
I just know 9 year old me tried to watch it and was boredI had a deeper appreciation of it as I got older.

Give 9yo me sandlot and little big league over that any day.
agsalaska
AG
He loves those too.

And say what you want about walks, strikeouts, and homeruns, that was an awesome baseball game.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I looked at his wiki earlier. They live in Austin in the off-season.
Schall 02
AG
Field of Dreams game was awesome. Has me thinking: MLB needs to go old school and barnstorm, playing occasionally at small stadiums, either minor league venues in "B" towns or small, historic fields (Cooperstown, Omaha, etc). Would grow the brand so much.

Rangers v. Astros in Frisco or Corpus? Yes, please. Gig em, tell the bosses.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
agsalaska
AG
Schall 02 said:

Field of Dreams game was awesome. Has me thinking: MLB needs to go old school and barnstorm, playing occasionally at small stadiums, either minor league venues in "B" towns or small, historic fields (Cooperstown, Omaha, etc). Would grow the brand so much.

Rangers v. Astros in Frisco or Corpus? Yes, please. Gig em, tell the bosses.
I think that would be really cool to watch. I enjoyed watching the few games I saw of Toronto in Buffalo.

Would also be cool for the NBA.
rbtexan
S
DallasAg 94 said:

I also like the idea of a player becoming a FA after 4 years of team control, instead of 6.

If you know you only get a #1-5 pick for 4 years, you aren't spending 4 seasons "rebuilding." I believe it WILL effect service time manipulation.

Use Leiter. You get 4 years of team control. You don't bring him up for 2022 and likely try to push out a 2023 callup until after the service deadline. You have him from 2024-2027, if you can push out a 2023 callup.

But,if he makes the case for a 2022 call-up... 4 years... your window starts in 2022 and goes through 2025.

You can't afford to tank 2022, in order to get a player that won't help your window.

I think it will also have an impact on players that are drafted out of HS vs those drafted from College.

Thoughts?
I'm not a fan of that idea. Admittedly, my opinion is possibly a result of battered Rangers fan syndrome, but I just remember too many potential star players that the Rangers ruined by rushing to the show too soon (David Clyde being the most obvious and saddest example, but there are plenty of others).

I think that would work out fine for the truly elite players, like Tatis and hopefully Leiter. I don't think it would be a good plan for the majority of players, a great many of whom need the steady progression through the minors (low A, to high A, to AA, to AAA). Some of the latin players, a lot of whom sign at age 16, would be effectively forced to the majors before their 20th birthday. I remember seeing Juan Gonzales in the minors when he was 19. He looked nothing (physically) like what he was as a MLB player.

In my opinion, your idea is fan-friendly but not good for the players, or organizations.

** I misread, you were talking about MLB control, not minor league control. Still not a fan of 4 years, but 5 I could get behind. **
DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
I disagree on the 4 years service time. Too many players have only shown potential up to that point. They would get paid based on that potential rather than actual production. That cost would be passed along to me as a consumer.
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
You can either pay for a player that has shown potential or end up with guys like Chris Davis or Albert Pujols or Josh Hamilton who had great years but are on the decline. It seems like it would be better to see money going to a guy producing big time than to a guy who produced big time in the past and maybe for another team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.