*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,936 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Count me in the boat that a $16.8MM/year offer for a career slash line of .210/.335/.495 is a fair offer. I have hard time believing he will get much more than that once he hits FA

Who are his player comps? It's not Harper or any of his new teammates in NY. I want to say he's closer to someone like Nick Castellanos, but in reality he's more like Miguel Sano but a much better defender.

DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Yesterday: "It's obvious Daniels and the Rangers never even made a formal offer to Gallo [words, words, words]".

Today: "It was obvious the Rangers weren't serious about their offer to Gallo".
And 5yr/$16.8M per is consistent with those statements.
Disagree. I think they were entirely serious about their offer. They just think that Gallo's value is less than Gallo and Boros do.

It was a serious offer as a starting point to negotiations...the problem was, what the team was willing to do and what Boros was willing to accept for this client was too wide a gap to close in the amount of time there was to close it, something you can bet Boros timed intentionally.

I don't think he'll get much more than that as a FA. I also think a player like him, who needs a lot of protection around him, has more value to a championship-level team than to a rebuilding team.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Right. They see Gallo as that 2nd tier contributor on a team and made him an offer commensurate with that, and I think that is the proper move given what we've seen for 2 years.

Boras is selling June 2021 Gallo, and hey, maybe Gallo will spend the rest of 2021 and 2022 proving he can be closer to June 2021 Gallo and get that level payday. But right now, I think what he's actually been doing on the field over time warrants a number much closer to what Texas supposedly offered. By the time a guy gets to Gallo's age, I'm not interested in paying him based on what he might be. Pay him based on what you've already seen him be over time
Proposition Joe
And certain teams are in a position that they can strap themselves to that kind of long term commitment as "the missing piece". Texas itself was a team like that in 2014 when they added Prince Fielder because they believed the rest of the roster was capable of being a true contender -- and they were right, as the team won 95 games in 2016 despite Fielder being complete dead weight on the team.

Making a decision like that in the current roster state is different, it goes from "can this guy put us into contender status" to "is this the type of guy we can build an entire team around".

In 2014 I don't think they would have "started fresh" with Prince Fielder and his contract, but they were willing to add on.

In 2021 I don't think Texas was willing to "start fresh" with Joey Gallo and a massive contract, but they would have been willing to add-on had we been legitimate contenders.
hawk1689
AG
The problem right now is that one idiot team is always willing to give the player what they want. Most analytical GM's have stopped giving away these $100MM contracts to the Jason Heyward's and JT Realmuto's (Elvis Andrusouch) of the world. When one team gives in and ponies upthe market is set for Scott Boras to ask for it.
Mr Gigem
AG
I think some people need to stop acting they are sitting in these meetings with JD, CY, and ownership when they are deciding the team's future
AggieEP
I like Gallo and think just about every team would take average Gallo on their roster as their starting corner outfielder. I would have been fine with the Rangers paying him between 15 and 20 million per year, but he's not in the tier of players that get to exceed 20 million per year.

If the Rangers started at 5/86 that tells me that they did what they should do and correctly read the market and the value of the player. The player is free to improve his stock over the next 1.5 years and reach the open market and that seems like what Gallo and Boras have chosen.

Our return in the trade is nothing mind blowing, but it adds some serious depth and if we hit on even one of these guys then it's probably a win.

DallasAg is stuck on positions for these guys, but the reality is that if you can find the next Max Muncy, Chris Taylor or Jake Cronenworth you can find a place to play a bat like that.

I'm still holding on to hope that the Rangers find a way to pry Buxton away from Minnesota on the cheap this winter and extend him for 6 or 7 years. That way you can get elite defense in that big ballpark in center and it's not as costly to have average defenders in the corner outfield spots. If you give me this lineup by 2023:

C- Huff/Heim
1B - Foscue
2B - Duran
SS- IKF
3B - Jung
LF - Carter/Solak
CF - Buxton
RF - Hauver
DH - Calhoun/Smith

Then we're talking about an insanely young (by service time) lineup that has elite CF and SS defense and hopefully has a lot of potential with the bats. Maybe you even bring Gallo back to RF by that point as he'd be an excellent 5 or 6 hitter to go along with his defensive attributes. This assumes all 4 of the players from the Yankees end up making the big club, which is a huge assumption, but they are currently hitting the cover off the ball in pro ball, so why not project that 2 years from now they should at least get a shot as everyday players.

Buxton to me feels like he's going to be the Josh Hamilton acquisition for someone (minus the drugs) and put up MVP level production for 4 years somewhere in his prime. He's close to figuring it out and Minnesota demonstrated a preparedness to move on from him by openly shopping him at the deadline. There is risk involved for sure, but the Rangers have literally zero payroll, they are in a great position to take a risk like this. It'd be even better if they could seriously front load the contract so that his contract vis a vis the salary cap would go down as the cost of players entering arbitration eligibility started to go up.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Mr Gigem said:

I think some people need to stop acting they are sitting in these meetings with JD, CY, and ownership when they are deciding the team's future

Welcome to being a sports fan. This is part of the fun.
Mr Gigem
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Mr Gigem said:

Welcome to being a sports fan. This is part of the fun.
Very true
KT 90
AG
Just ran across this and thought it was interesting, in a not-so-good kind of a way....

Mr Gigem
AG
Dahl DFA'd
Mr Gigem
AG
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Rangers Communications
Monday, August 2, 2021 817.273.5203

RANGERS ACQUIRE OF DJ PETERS FROM LOS ANGELES DODGERS VIA WAIVER CLAIM,
RHP JIMMY HERGET CONTRACT SELECTED FROM ROUND ROCK
RHP Demarcus Evans optioned to Round Rock, OF David Dahl designated for assignment

Arlington, Texas The Texas Rangers today announced the following roster moves prior to Monday night's series opener against the Los Angeles Angels:

• Outfielder DJ Peters (#38) acquired from Los Angeles Dodgers via waiver claim and added to active roster.
  • Right-handed pitcher Jimmy Herget (#49) contract selected from Round Rock (AAA).
  • Right-handed pitcher Demarcus Evans optioned to Round Rock (AAA).
  • Outfielder David Dahl designated for assignment.

Peters, 25, has spent his entire professional career in the Dodgers organization since being selected in the fourth round of the 2016 MLB Draft. He made his Major League debut with Los Angeles this season, batting .192 (5-26) with one home run and 4 RBI over 18 games spanning three stints with the big league club (April 23-25, April 27, May 8-28). The right-handed batter and thrower has also played 50 games with Triple-A Oklahoma City, batting .233 with 4 home runs and 19 RBI, including a .311 (19-61) average with an .868 OPS figure in his last 16 games there. He was designated for assignment on Thursday, July 29, when the Dodgers acquired left-handed pitcher Danny Duffy in a trade with the Kansas City Royals.

Primarily a centerfielder in his pro career, Peters has also seen significant action at the corner outfield spots as well. The L.A.-area native has been rated by both Baseball America and MLB.com as the 15th-best prospect in the Dodgers' system.

Herget, 27, will be seeking his first Major League action this season. He has spent the entire season with Round Rock, going 2-2 with a 2.63 ERA (11 ER/37.2 IP), 1.062 WHIP figure, and 11.5 strikeouts per 9 innings over 27 relief appearances. Opponents have produced a .196/.255/.329/.583 slash line against Herget at Triple-A, where he compiled a 0.39 ERA (1 ER/23.1 IP) over 18 games from May 13-July 5. Herget spent the bulk of the 2020 season with the Rangers (July 31-August 10, August 12-end of season), posting a 3.20 ERA (7 ER/19.2 IP) over 20 games/1 start while ranking second on the team in appearances and relief innings (19.2). His last MLB outing was on September 26, 2020 vs. Houston.

Evans has a 0-2 record with a 5.65 ERA over 13 relief appearances spanning three stints with the Rangers this season (May 25-June 22, July 18, July 20-August 1). He has spent the balance of the season at Round Rock, going 1-0 with a 4.30 ERA over 12 relief outings.

Dahl produced a .210 batting average with 4 home runs and 18 RBI in 63 games with Texas this season, including a stint on the Injured List from May 26-June 30 with left rib cage and upper back issues. The Rangers have seven days to trade, release, or outright Dahl to the minor leagues.

Following today's transactions, the Rangers are now at the 40-man limit on the club's Major League roster, along with seven players on the 60-day Injured List.

RANGERS
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Why do you assume Peters is a DH? Have you seen him play defense, he's primarily been a center fielder....and while I'm asking, have you seen Zavala or Foscue play defense, ever? Or is DH just a derogatory term in your mind that you use to describe any player who isn't a gold glove candidate?
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
Refresh my memory as to when I or anyone else has suggested moving lf to 2b....I'll wait
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
rbtexan
S
Wrong.
Calhoun started as a 2nd baseman and was moved to the outfield in the Dodgers organization. He never played a game at 2nd base for the Rangers. Quit making stuff up.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
You've become such a beating that no one really gives a **** whether you are joking or not. Learn to read the room
rbtexan
S
Did I mention the minor leagues? At all???

The RANGERS .... which as you probably know, is a MLB team.

In Calhoun's MLB career, with the Rangers, he has played in 219 games. 146 in LF, 56 at DH, and 23 as a pinch hitter and twice as a pinch runner. 0 games at 2nd base.

So again.... the RANGERS never used, or even tried, Calhoun at 2B.

Good lord you are insufferable.

Here's a few other tidbits. As you probably know, Joey Gallo started at 3B, he's now a gold glove RF. IKF has played C, 2B, SS, & 3B, all at a high level...including C, where although he was not exceptional, he was adequate. Ian Desmond had played exactly 4 games in the OF in 7 major league seasons before he became a CF for the Rangers, and was an All-Star. Look at all the C's in history who moved to 1B, 3B, or the outfield. You may have heard of a guy named Craig Biggio. He played his first 4 seasons with the Astros at C, then became a HOF 2nd baseman.

You act like people can't change positions. You act like everyone who isn't (in your perception) locked in at one position is a DH.

And drop the passive-aggressive posting style, it's obnoxious. You make a bad point, and when you're called out on it, you say "oh it was a joke". No it wasn't. Jokes are funny.
Proposition Joe
If you can hit, no one cares what position you play.

I'll repeat: If you can hit, no one cares what position you play.

There isn't some long list of guys who can hit 0.280 against major league pitching but just couldn't catch on anywhere because of their defense.

There are tens of thousands of guys who were plus fielders that couldn't catch on anywhere because they couldn't hit.

Worrying about or drafting for defense is putting the cart before the horse.

If we wind up with a surplus of guys that can mash major league pitching but all play the same position, then we're going to be just fine.
KT 90
AG
Rangers win. Patton gets the save. Holy moly, Patton is now our closer!! Oh well, congrats to him on his first save. And to Curtis Terry on getting his first (and second) major league hits.

South Platte
KT 90 said:

Just ran across this and thought it was interesting, in a not-so-good kind of a way....

Completely shocking that this franchise would draft a medically impaired kid in the 2nd round. What, is he blind in one eye? Extremely pronounced epididymus?
rbtexan
S
Absolutely. They should've done their due diligence like the Mets did on Kumar Rocker before they drafted him the first rou....oh wait...
South Platte
rbtexan said:

Absolutely. They should've done their due diligence like the Mets did on Kumar Rocker before they drafted him the first rou....oh wait...
Although yes, this franchise is the worst in the history of professional sports, I was referring to the fact that every single draft pick we make is totally worthless. It's worse than bad luck.
rbtexan
S
South Platte said:

this franchise is the worst in the history of professional sports,
every single draft pick we make is totally worthless.

Hyperbole much?

I get your frustration, but come on
South Platte
We haven't had a 1st round draft pick make a noticeable contribution since Tex 20 years ago. Outside of the 1st round, we've had Kinsler and CJ Wilson, then Colby from 1999. I'm not far off.

As far as the franchise goes, we certainly have company at the bottom. It's not easy to rank filth. I have no idea why Leiter signed with us. With the NIL opportunities, he would have still made 7 figures had he stayed at Vandy and his dad's worth tens of millions.

I see us taking a 10-15 year playoff hiatus.
rbtexan
S
Just to put the Rangers in historical context....they're not even close to being the worst franchise in baseball history, let alone sports history.

That would have to be the St. Louis Browns. You want to talk futility? Check this out.

In the 52 year history of the Browns (1902-1953), they never won a World Series. They only won the pennant once (1944, when the rosters were depleted by WW2) and promptly lost to the Cardinals in 6 games. They only had 11 winning seasons in those 52 years, lost 100 games 8 times (the season was only 154 games back then), and finished dead last 10 times. They finished as high as second only 3 times, and the all-time record of the team was 3414-4465, a winning percentage of .430.

Are they Rangers bad? Yeah. But worst ever? Not even in the conversation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.