*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,896 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gigem1223
DallasAg 94 said:

gigem1223 said:

All the off-season trades look good tonight.
Except Holt... doing his Odor impression.

Not a trade...
KT 90
AG
IronAg45 said:

So is Heim a stop gap or someone we can build on?

Was a pretty decent prospect from Oakland. Mostly a defensive prospect, but he has a few hits early on this season.

With Huff/Trevino/Heim, catcher might be our deepest position overall.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

gigem1223 said:

Holt says Hi
KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

gigem1223 said:

Holt says Hi

And pulled something in the process
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

gigem1223 said:

Holt says Hi

He wasn't a trade.

Correct. He said hi after his rbi single.
Trucker 96
Last batter and the people in the box on the left have no idea
bigcat22
AG
Hello Win Column
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Downside of streaming: I was just notified the game was over before the first out in the top of the 9th.
Mr Gigem
AG
Fore Left! said:

So? They paid their money to be there. They can do whatever they want
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Fore Left! said:

But I bet they paid a s*** ton of money to have no idea.
Trucker 96
Mr Gigem said:

Fore Left! said:

So? They paid their money to be there. They can do whatever they want

It's funny. When we are 30 games out in August, you guys need to have half-price field box bikini night. Perhaps add some water features for it.
Trucker 96
Or trampolines
jtstanley4621
AG
Would be nice if Gibson could go ahead and oh, I don't know, go deeper than 0.1 innings tomorrow.....
Grapesoda2525
Ranger #007 said:

Dunning making it look like we finally go some value out of one of our trade pieces.
The rangers front office looks good tonight.

Lowe > whatever we had 1st base last year

Heim > Mathis ( not hard to do at all but still)

Dunning looks like he could be a solid long term piece, but we need to see more.

Kennedy went out there and shut them down quicker then you could go to the restroom and come back. The rangers usually end up with closers who mess around with a few hitters by walking them or giving up lazy singles before getting to work.

An all around good night. This team should be more fun to watch then last years team ( once again not hard to do but still).
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Fore Left! said:

Nate Lowe is raaaaaaaking

JD signed him.
Technically they traded Tampa for him.
Of course.

My point being - we often selectively throw out "JD SUCKS - FIRE HIM" when someone plays poorly but dismiss good play as an anomaly of some sort.

We should at least be intellectually honest about his acquisitions and give credit when it's due.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Fore Left! said:

JD signed him.
Of course.

My point being - we often selectively throw out "JD SUCKS - FIRE HIM" when someone plays poorly but dismiss good play as an anomaly of some sort.

We should at least be intellectually honest about his acquisitions and give credit when it's due.
It's much easier to get a clear picture to evaluate JD now that odor is gone. Fair or not, it seemed like odor and his contract were so bad that he dominated the conversation.
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Fore Left! said:

JD signed him.
Of course.

It's much easier to get a clear picture to evaluate JD now that odor is gone. Fair or not, it seemed like odor and his contract were so bad that he dominated the conversation.

What's funny about the Odor contract is that I remember everyone being ecstatic about it when it happened.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Fore Left! said:

JD signed him.
Of course.

What's funny about the Odor contract is that I remember everyone being ecstatic about it when it happened.

I definitely wasn't in that group. I thought it was too early.
Mr Gigem
AG
Anyone else shocked by the A's start to the season? Weren't they a pick to be in the playoffs? You can't win the division in April, but you sure can lose it
wbt5845
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

wbt5845 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

wbt5845 said:

Fore Left! said:

JD signed him.
Of course.

I definitely wasn't in that group. I thought it was too early.

Perhaps. It would be interesting to go back and find what was posted. I seem to recall most people being very happy with the deal. Here is the general response in the media.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652680-rougned-odor-rangers-agree-to-6-year-contract-extension-national

Quote:

MARCH 25, 2017

The Texas Rangers locked in one of their key youngsters for the foreseeable future, as they signed second baseman Rougned Odor to a six-year contract extension.

In 2016, Odor had a .271 batting average, 33 home runs and 88 RBI, and it was easily his best season in the big leagues thus far. But he earned just over $500,000, per Spotrac.

Odor was due a significant raise in arbitration, but rather than go through that process, he and the Rangers came to terms on fairer compensation moving forward.

The 2011 amateur free-agent signee made his Major League Baseball debut at 20 years of age in 2014 and showed instant flashes with nine home runs and 48 RBI in just 386 at-bats.

He followed that up with a strong sophomore campaign, hitting .261 with 16 homers and 61 RBI despite getting sent down early in the season after a slow start.

Odor established himself as a fixture in Texas' lineup upon his return, and his new contract suggests that the organization views him as an important cog in the pursuit of a World Series championship in the coming years.

He has become one of the league's best second basemen at the plate, and if his progress continues in the coming years, the new deal could provide the Rangers with fantastic value.
powerbelly
AG
IMO the problem wasnt the contract itself but rather the refusal of Odor to try to change his game to combat the way pitchers were approaching him. No fans/media could predict how dumb he would be.
wbt5845
AG
powerbelly said:

IMO the problem wasnt the contract itself but rather the refusal of Odor to try to change his game to combat the way pitchers were approaching him. No fans/media could predict how dumb he would be.

Yeah, I agree. It will be fascinating to see how he performs in New York. Was it the Rangers system of how to approach hitting that screwed him up or does he just suck?
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Anyone else shocked by the A's start to the season? Weren't they a pick to be in the playoffs? You can't win the division in April, but you sure can lose it

They have opened with two series against really good teams. But they have been totally non-competitve.

My preseason pick for our division were the Angels. They've been good. .
Proposition Joe
Odor's contract certainly didn't work out like we hoped but it wasn't really an albatross.
wbt5845
AG
KT 90
AG

hawk1689
AG
JD is the best thing to ever happen to the Rangers. The Odor contract isn't even in the top 10 of worst Rangers contracts.
toucan82
jtstanley4621 said:

Would be nice if Gibson could go ahead and oh, I don't know, go deeper than 0.1 innings tomorrow.....

He should be well rested
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

Odor's contract certainly didn't work out like we hoped but it wasn't really an albatross.
Management treated it like an albatross or maybe just the last mistake that they desperately wanted to get rid of.

Remember when we still had A-rod, fielder, choo, Elvis, and odor on the books all at the same time?
Grapesoda2525
Mr Gigem said:

Don't worry about Oakland just yet.

They always start slow and end ridiculously strong.
KT 90
AG
early game today:

Super Aggie 64
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.