*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

232,976 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Carlo4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

9. Toronto Blue Jays
Record: 3-3
Previous ranking: 10
The Blue Jays are this year's version of the 2020 White Sox, a young team with an immense amount of potential that could surprise some folks by making a strong run at the playoffs. Taking two of three games against the Yankees during the first series of the season certainly set a strong tone. -- Lee

What about losing 2 of 3 to the Rangers? Is that a strong tone?
KT 90
AG
Castellanos was one of the free agents that JD put our name in the hat but didn't really try for. Sometimes it seems like he intentionally offers a less than the going rate offer to some of these free agents just so he can say "we tried". Or maybe its more from the MLB twitter guys that pump out the rumors that like to put us in as a contender.

At least we were spared that routine this past off-season as they made it loud and clear we weren't offering any of the high dollar free agents.
KT 90
AG
investorAg83 said:

Re the Oakland blurb: Elvis will not adequately replace Semien and that's not a knock on Elvis...replacing MS was going to be a problem.

Agree here. Elvis didn't look good last year, and Semien is the better option right now. But we are picking up part of the tab for Elvis (I think anyway), so getting him for a cut rate was probably too good to pass up for the always budget conscious Oakland A's.

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Castellanos was one of the free agents that JD put our name in the hat but didn't really try for. Sometimes it seems like he intentionally offers a less than the going rate offer to some of these free agents just so he can say "we tried". Or maybe its more from the MLB twitter guys that pump out the rumors that like to put us in as a contender.

At least we were spared that routine this past off-season as they made it loud and clear we weren't offering any of the high dollar free agents.

We are going to have to go back to the free agent market eventually. It's hard to imagine we get worse luck with the next guys than we did fielder, choo, and Harrison / Holland.

I know Fielder was acquired by trade, but didn't we extend him when we got him? I still count that trade as a bad free agent deal.
Trucker 96
No, they didn't extend him. Detroit actually agreed to pay part of his salary. I think he was making $24 mill per and Det paid $6 per. Kinsler was making $16 at the time, so it was largely an even swap for the Rangers on $$$ albeit Fielder's existing contract had 3 more years left than Kinsler's (2017 vs 2020)
Trucker 96
And given Insurance covered the majority of those last 3 years, the Rangers were out about $8mill per year for the last 3 years. Big picture, Fielder's $$$ didn't inhibit them much more than Kinsler already was going to.
hawk1689
AG
Kinsler put up almost 20 WAR after being dealt.
Trucker 96
My point is simply that Fielder wasn't really a $$$ investment.
wbt5845
AG
I remember being really excited about the Fielder trade. Had never missed a game due to injury and then is permanently disabled once he gets here.
bigcat22
AG
I was also a fan of the Fielder trade at the time. Remember, when we dealt Kindler, we had the No. 1 prospect in MiLB who was supposed to replace him (Profar) and another young middle infield talent behind that (Odor). The deal made sense for both teams, but highlight is 20/20 I guess.
Trucker 96
Yep, that was just completely ****ty luck. He was a LH power guy in a park with a fairly short RF porch; it should have been a beautiful match.

Maybe a more thorough physical would have found something, but the guy had never given a reason to doubt his health. I'm not sure there has ever been a bigger 180 in baseball history with a guy that went from perennial 162 game ironman to complete injury washout. The only real question about that trade at the time was what kind of producer he'd be in the last 2-3 years of his deal.
DallasAg 94
hawk1689
AG
I remember reading an article about how bigger plays fall off the cliff after age 30. I don't remember if it was primarily injury related but I'll be damned if it didn't play out with Fielder.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
In other news, Lance Lynn gets a CG shutout of the Royals today. He had 11 Ks. He has a 0.00 ERA with 13.2 IP in 2 starts.
Grapesoda2525
I agree with you guys..... I was giving every ranger fan near me a huge high five when we traded for fielder. I thought it was going to be a great deal for us.

KT 90
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

In other news, Lance Lynn gets a CG shutout of the Royals today. He had 11 Ks. He has a 0.00 ERA with 13.2 IP in 2 starts.

Good for him. Hated to see him go (but understood the situation), liked how he wanted to stay in and finish games. He'll cash in bigly on a new contract this coming off-season.
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621
AG
Still will never forget how stunning it was to see Lynn not moved when he was at his peak trade value. I know he still netted us Dunning, but that was a **** up of big proportions for JD
Trucker 96
Takes 2 to tango. If you look around the league at the 2020 deadline trades that did happen involving starting pitching, it was mostly spares for PTBNL deals. Outside of SD getting Clevenger who had 2 more years of control, I don't recall it being a market hot to give up good prospects for good starting pitchers. It was a weird year
Trucker 96
I'd rather wait for a Dunning than panic and end up with another Willie Calhoun
wbt5845
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Still will never forget how stunning it was to see Lynn not moved when he was at his peak trade value. I know he still netted us Dunning, but that was a **** up of big proportions for JD
There have been several stories that Lynn told JD he was going to exercise veto power over most potential trades last year - he had that power due to the COVIDs, any player could simply opt out - and left JD with the "do I get reduced return for him now or more in the off season when he can't veto".

Holding off on trading him last July made no sense until I heard that.

DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
DallasAg day drinking again
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So they get more money but the company that already can't come to an agreement with the majority of cable providers has more expenses to pay for. Seems like they'd end up trying to raise rates again.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Good news ahead for Rangers?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/04/latest-on-marlins-local-television-deal.html

Quote:

In late March, the Marlins and Sinclair Broadcast Group announced a multi-year local television rights contract. The specific terms and length of the agreement weren't disclosed at the time, but Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald now reports it's a seven-year deal that pays just over $50MM annually. The parties' previous agreement averaged in the neighborhood of $18MM, Jackson notes, paying the Marlins a league-low $20MM last season.

My emphasis.

$50M annually.

The Rangers current payroll is $94.7M for 2021. $35M for 2022.

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Rangers-Fox-Sports-Southwest-agree-to-1-6-1603662.php

Quote:

The Texas Rangers have agreed to a 20-year contract extension with Fox Sports Southwest that is estimated to total $1.6 billion over the life of the deal beginning in 2015.

It would average about $80 million a year;

So the Rangers are already getting more than that from BSSW, which I have to assume is paying the Rangers the same FSSW did. BSSW has to be taking a bath on that.

Grapesoda2525
jtstanley4621 said:

A good rule of thumb ( because it's always true).

When the rangers are buying. Prices are high.

When the rangers are selling. Prices are low.

We have had the worst luck with trade deadlines overall. It seems like JD always paid a premium for help when our team was trying to compete. I'm a fan of JD, but he got owned by the Cubs every single time he dealed with Epstein.

- Ryan dempster for Kyle Hendricks and Christian Villanueva was a massive bust.

- Matt Garza wasn't the difference maker we needed and he left after half of a season.

- Christian Guzman for tanner roark to the nationals. I would have rather had Roark be our #4 or #5 the last 10 years or so.

- the Jonathan Lucroy and Carlos Beltran trades were both massive busts.
wbt5845
AG
Gee, I can cherry pick too.

Date: July 31, 2007

Rangers received from Braves: C Jarrod Saltalamacchia, SS Elvis Andrus, LHP Matt Harrison, RHP Neftali Feliz and LHP Beau Jones
Rangers gave up: 1B Mark Teixeira and LHP Ron Mahay

Date: Dec. 21, 2007

Rangers received from Reds: OF Josh Hamilton
Rangers gave up: RHP Edinson Volquez and LHP Danny Herrera

Date: July 9, 2010

Rangers got from Mariners: LHP Cliff Lee and RHP Mark Lowe
Rangers gave up: 1B Justin Smoak, RHP Blake Beavan, RHP Josh Lueke and IF Matt Lawson

July 30, 2015

Rangers got from [Phillies: Cole Hamels and Jake Diekman
Rangers gave up: Jorge Alfaro, Alec Asher, Jerad Eickhoff, Matt Harrison, Jake Thompson, and Nick Williams.
Trucker 96
Seriously, their trades in the JD era have been a net win. That is not even debatable. Issues with JD involve the draft. The successes this franchise had are due to the fact they were good at trades.
bigcat22
AG
I would also add that they were good in the Latin America market, but MLB has since leveled the playing field and we lost most of our advantage there
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
The value of rentals decreasing hurt, but regardless, the backbone of 2 AL champions was built on trades. And the Hamels trade netted them another division.
Proposition Joe
And a lot depends on how you want to grade whether a trade was good or bad.

If you trade minor league prospects and they don't pan out, then typically it was a good trade as your prospect eval was potentially better than the team you were trading with.

But at the same time, if you trade for major league players and suddenly they perform well below their career and recent production... yeah you still get a low grade for the result of the trade, but can you really blame your eval/scouting?

Garza had a career 114 ERA+ when Texas acquired him. He produced a 94 in Texas.

Dempster has a career ERA+ of 97 when Texas acquired him. That season for the Cubs he had put up an ERA+ of 182. Now, no one expected him to do anything like that he had done for the Cubs that year, but for Texas he put up a 86.

Lucroy had a career OPS+ of 112 when Texas acquired him. He put up a 128 the rest of that year for Texas... and then the next season a career low of 64 - almost half the output you'd expect from a guy like him.

On paper hard to fault any of those trades.
Trucker 96
The Rangers don't have any hits thru 6. This SD pitcher has given up no hits. He has a no hitter going

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.