*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,882 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're also sending one prospect.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Proposition Joe said:

If just one of the other two prospects is decent this is a dynamite trade.

I'm liking this one more than the Gallo trade without even knowing who the other two are. We are getting a young big league pitcher for a guy that is having a career year and an older RP on a 1 year deal. Seems like the Phillies got a little desperate and we took advantage of their needs.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I forget about King. We are building a good young staff. I don't think any of the 5 or 6 are top of the rotation arms but I do think we have some solid 2/3's in Howard, Allard, maybe Dunning and King. Not sure what Otto's potential is. We have some good arms in the minors that we won't see for a few years though.

I am seeing a long rebuild with a good start to restock the farm at the trade deadline this year. It will be interesting to see what we got offensively from the Yankees.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Hans Crouse????????
DallasAg 94
Schall 02
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Hans Crouse????????

Meaning we sent Crouse??
Mr Gigem
AG
Schall 02 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Hans Crouse????????

Meaning we sent Crouse??
Yes we are sending Crouse to the Phillies in this deal

Gibson, Kennedy, Crouse for Howard and two prospects
Schall 02
AG
Complete buzz kill.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Looks like we are getting some lower end/Rule V type returns according to MLB network. I heard their names (Gowdy? and something else) and don't see them in their Top 30 prospect list.

I hope we're not dealing Crouse. That would certainly leave a stain on this deal.
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Hans Crouse????????
That is not confirmed yet. If he is included, the trade makes more sense. It moves from "awesome" to "gee I dunno".
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Schall 02 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Hans Crouse????????

Meaning we sent Crouse??
Yes we are sending Crouse to the Phillies in this deal

Gibson, Kennedy, Crouse for Howard and two prospects

If true, I take back all of my excitement and retract all my previous statements. How do you let a prospect like that go? WTH is this front office doing? I don't like it.
Mr Gigem
AG
wbt5845 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Hans Crouse????????
That is not confirmed yet. If he is included, the trade makes more sense. It moves from "awesome" to "gee I dunno".
it is confirmed
wbt5845
AG
What this trade deadline day has been like.

Mr Gigem
AG
Crouse is Rule V eligible after this season.
wbt5845
AG
Mr Gigem said:

wbt5845 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Hans Crouse????????
it is confirmed
hmmm - the prospects had better be really good. REALLY Good.

EDIT: Even with Rule V, he was gonna be on the big league club.
Mr Gigem
AG
apparently we are also sending $4 million to Phillies in deal
rbtexan
S
I hate losing any decent prospect, but if it had to be a pitcher, Crouse is probably who I would've traded as well.

He has a weird delivery and there have been concerns about injuries going back to when he was drafted (he's already had elbow problems). From MLB.com -

Quote:

" Crouse had the stuff and performance track record to go in the first round of the 2017 Draft, but he also had a lot of moving parts and effort in his delivery and was emotional on the mound, so the Rangers were able to land him in the second. He worked just 162 1/3 innings in his first three seasons after signing him for $1.45 million, in part because he was limited by bone spurs in his elbow in 2019. He had them removed that October and then sat out alternate camp and instructional league in 2020 for undisclosed personal reasons that the club says aren't a concern...some scouts think his energy would be best directed in a late-inning relief role."

I hate giving up a prospect, but this is one I'm semi-okay with.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Proposition Joe said:

If just one of the other two prospects is decent this is a dynamite trade.

I'm liking this one more than the Gallo trade without even knowing who the other two are. We are getting a young big league pitcher for a guy that is having a career year and an older RP on a 1 year deal. Seems like the Phillies got a little desperate and we took advantage of their needs.

I hate to quote myself but here goes:

Who was desperate here? Looks like Texas was really trying to get rid of payroll (while still paying the salaries) and giving up the #9 prospect on the farm for a big league arm and two low end prospects. Why? I just don't get it.
hawk1689
AG
That went from a "what a deal" to a wtf real fast.
Schall 02
AG
100%
Schall 02
AG
Per LSB:

UPDATE The total deal, per reports, is Kennedy, Gibson and Hans Crouse to Philadelphia for Spencer Howard, Kevin Gowdy and Josh Gessner.
jtstanley4621
AG
Giving up Crouse could go either way but right now I do not feel good about it. We need all the pitching prospects we can get
Mr Gigem
AG
I saw something that Crouse was thought to be a future closer?
hawk1689
AG
After taking a moment to digest, I've decided I'm OK with it. I was excited about the initial return because I thought we were going to completely sell rip off high on Gibson and possibly unload some of our MIF depth for an area of need. The reality is, we just traded for a MLB ready, high end prospect. 25 years ago we might have gotten that return for Kennedy alone. We just flipped a back end starting pitcher, a scrap heap reliver, and prospect who's velocity has dropped and who profiles as more of a reliver than a starter. This is still a good deal.
Schall 02
AG
I can't separate this trade from my overall lack of enthusiasm for the team. Just meh. Same feeling that led me to cancel my mlb.tv subscription this year. I hope I look back in five years and bask in the greatness of these trades.
jtstanley4621
AG
First pick here we come! I will be stunned if we don't get there. The team has some decent players but they are surrounded by spares. This is going to be a true tanking. About damn time.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Hopefully we don't win another game!
Mr Gigem
AG
Getting my playoff invoices ready for 2022
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
Howard is supposed to be a way way way better prospect than Crouse. We also got 2 lotto tickets I guess?

Kennedy and Gibson had no future here. I'm ok with the deal. We get some prospect who was very highly rated recently and we have plenty of time to straighten him out. Throw him and Otto in the rotation soon. Although, I've heard Wayne graham / rice owl products end up being terrible major leaguer pitchers so maybe we shouldn't expect much from Otto.
gigem1223
Suddenly we've stockpiled arsenal of starting pitcher prospects that we should see within the next couple years. I like it.

Winn, Leiter, Howard, Otto, Ragans
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.