*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,949 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Not watching the game tonight as I don't have cable but why was Guzman playing LF? The only position he had played before tonight was 1B.

They did play him some in LF in Spring Training. He started off hot at the plate, they were looking for ways to keep him on the roster as he was out of options ( and Calhoun and Davis were hurt). He was getting cut once Calhoun or Davis are ready, now he'll get parked on the IL.
WestTexasAg
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

rbtexan said:

I'm not expecting much from a lot of the players on the current roster. I think a lot of them are simply placeholders (3rd base as an example). Solak is a stop gap 2nd baseman until someone better comes along/develops IMO. Guzman will likely be DFAd when either Calhoun or Davis come off the DL - not that I'm excited about those two either.
This is a team made up of a lot of average players, and no stars. Gallo is going to have to prove his new approach is for real and that he isn't a .220 hitter with power. IKF could wind up being a star if they'll quit screwing with him and leave him at SS instead of moving him around every time what appears to be a better option comes along.
Bottom line is, this isn't a team built to compete this season, and I'm not sure it'll be much better next year barring a huge roster turnover (which isn't likely to happen).

I'm with you here.

I keep hearing everyone say Gallo is trade bait, but we probably won't get much for him if he doesn't start showing some power. Sure, he's a GG defender but he needs to start putting up some numbers. I'm very interested to see what we will get for him.

I like Solak but not as a player on my team. Seems like a good kid but he's a defensive liability and can't hit.

Culberson/Holt are placeholders until Jung/Apostel are ready. Dahl is a placeholder. Lowe is not a long-term solution. Neither is Guzman unfortunately. I've been pulling for him but I just don't think he'll ever make it.

In my opinion, only Gallo, IKF, and Trevino are more than stop gaps and Gallo will probably be gone at some point in the season.

The hell of it is, what we have coming behind them is not very talented either. Maybe Jung has a chance to be a future All-Star, but I'm not sure we have anyone else in our system that you could point to as someone to build around.
Why does everyone keep downplaying Solak? Maybe I am flat wrong, but I think he can hit and will be in the Ranger lineup for a long time.
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
I think he can be a .260/.270, 10-15 HR, and minus defense guy. Not a detriment, but not a big asset either. Kind of a JAG. His being passed around as much as he has screams JAG
Trucker 96
Curveball, bats are afraid
Mr Gigem
AG
Has Gallo been told to look like complete dog **** at the plate so he doesn't get traded. Sheesh
Trucker 96
I always find it funny when people get excited about spring training hitting when pitchers are focused on getting ready for April, not so much getting guys out
Grapesoda2525
At least the team brought their bats to the park today.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The speed talk is crazy when you think that Nolan was throwing harder as a starter than a guy like Aroldis Chapman does throwing everything he's got for an inning.
DallasAg 94
WestTexasAg
AG
Solak - 2 hits and 3 RBIs tonight

What do we think about Trevino's potential? He's gotten off to a good start. Not a big sample size yet.
DallasAg 94
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

What do we think about Trevino's potential? He's gotten off to a good start. Not a big sample size yet.
Good see from Solak. Maybe he reads TexAgs and got a chip on his shoulder after my post.

There are plenty of things I like about Trevino.

He was MiLB GG Catcher for 2016 & 2017. In the Minors... a GG is for ALL levels. One GG is given to a C in ALL of the Minors.

So, I had high hopes for him... I thought he may have stalled out.

Overall I like him.
A total rebuild is tough to watch. I'm still watching pretty much every game because they are my team, and I want to see which young guys will be a part of the long term future.

As for position players, I really think we may have something in the middle of the infield with IKF and Solak. We don't know the answers yet on the corners, although Lowe may be a pleasant surprise at 1st base.

Outfield? Gallo is our right fielder. Really hoping Taveras continues to develop and can be our centerfield going forward. Left field has been a turnstile.

Hoping Trevino is the man at catcher. Who am I leaving out? I think Tejeda may have some potential, but needs more time.
KT 90
AG
WestTexasAg said:

DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

Good see from Solak. Maybe he reads TexAgs and got a chip on his shoulder after my post.

There are plenty of things I like about Trevino.

He was MiLB GG Catcher for 2016 & 2017. In the Minors... a GG is for ALL levels. One GG is given to a C in ALL of the Minors.

So, I had high hopes for him... I thought he may have stalled out.

Overall I like him.
A total rebuild is tough to watch. I'm still watching pretty much every game because they are my team, and I want to see which young guys will be a part of the long term future.

As for position players, I really think we may have something in the middle of the infield with IKF and Solak. We don't know the answers yet on the corners, although Lowe may be a pleasant surprise at 1st base.

Outfield? Gallo is our right fielder. Really hoping Taveras continues to develop and can be our centerfield going forward. Left field has been a turnstile.

Hoping Trevino is the man at catcher. Who am I leaving out? I think Tejeda may have some potential, but needs more time.

Catcher may actually become a position of strength, with Trevino/Heim/Huff. We can maybe trade one of those once it is time to bring Huff up. Huff is a hitter too, so maybe he can also see time at DH/1B.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
xjrayx
AG
Been meaning to post this for a while now - if anyone needs somewhere to watch the Ranger's games (or any other baseball game): volokit dot com

gigem1223
Gallo's approach at the plate has been impressive to start. Hopefully he can continue to be this patient. The dingers will come.
gigem1223
Terrible base running Dahl
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Yay for CJ with the jinx.
jtstanley4621
AG
Arihara has been pretty good so far. Was impressed to see he worked out of runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs
Trucker 96
Terrible reversal. Replay guys just get to go off gut feel now like on-field umps vs requiring clear evidence?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd love to see the angle that showed he was definitively out. It certainly wasn't one they showed on the broadcast.
Mr Gigem
AG
Looked like the glove got him before his fingers got down in the plate. Her of his hand was in the ground but his fingers were up
DallasAg 94
gigem1223
Adolis sure does look the part. This franchise needs to hit on all these under the radar type trades to get back to being in contention.
CampingAg
AG
We might not be good, but I like the brand of baseball we play. Active on the bases, bunting (gasp...I know), I can at least see an effort to put bat on ball with two strikes, and we've played good defense. Heck, we tried a first and third play with Lowe the other day. Jays didn't bite, but good to see.
Mr Gigem
AG
You can absolutely tell a difference in the way this team plays vs teams over the last few years. I like it
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Do other teams do something with the dark gray portion of the bar at the bottom or is it just a useless annoyance that takes up screen space for everybody?
TV Casualty
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Do other teams do something with the dark gray portion of the bar at the bottom or is it just a useless annoyance that takes up screen space for everybody?

I keep thinking it might be used for live betting lines in other states where it's legal.
Grapesoda2525
Could win a series against a good / smart team tomorrow. Lets get it done!
wbt5845
AG
I know the season is early, but a trend that bears watching...

The pitching is above average, which is WAY better than many of us expected.

DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
4.20 Nice
AgBQ-00
AG
I think this team will be fun. I said it before no expectations...just enjoying baseball

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.