*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

238,077 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I miss Elvis and Beltre clowning around.

Baseball sure was fun back then.
dave94
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

8 years ago.
God I loved that team. So many great dudes.
dave94
AG
powerbelly said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

I miss Elvis and Beltre clowning around.

Baseball sure was fun back then.
It fun time now. - Wash.
TDub
AG
I miss Young the most. Hands down favorite Ranger ever
wbt5845
AG
_lefraud_ said:

It was actually Baltimore, but then he got his 14million the following year from Seattle, and then again from Minnesota.
Thanks - got his stops mixed up. But the point stands - I see Cruz used against JD as a bad decision and I'm like "damn he offered $6 MM more than the market rate and he's accused of letting a player go?"
South Platte
Proposition Joe said:

In the AL.

Monster offensive numbers. Gold glove fielder. + Baserunner.

Thats not to say as a baseball fan i like his approach, but strikeouts dont matter as much as people think. Statistically the number of times a batted ball (that isnt a hit) increases your run probability in an inning is very low. So yeah, he's not moving that runner to 3rd with 1 out with a ground ball to the right side - but when you are mashing 40 homeruns, who cares?
I wasn't sure if you were serious or not. I think he's complete garbage, but I'm too bored with this team and season to get into a discussion about him. Carry on mi amigo.

Proposition Joe
Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of watching his style of approach at the plate.

But he's on pace to hit 45 homeruns and knock in 100+ RBI all while being a good defender and great baserunner.

Yeah, he strikes out a lot. He also leads the leagues in walks (by a pretty significant margin).

The goal of the game isn't to put the bat on the ball - the goal of the game is to create runs and prevent runs -- and he's one of the best in the league at that.
AggieEP
Gallo is one of the most interesting players in the league to me. We were all taught growing up that strikeouts were bad and batting ,300 was good. Gallo is the antithesis of that mantra and yet what he brings is relevant to winning games. He's getting on base 40% of the time which is elite, and he plays great defense.

Weak contact is essentially the same as a strikeout statistically, so his entire focus is on hard contact. If not for the shift, he'd probably be hitting ,260 with a ,420 OBP and he'd be a real star despite the strikeouts.

Also for those that love to hate the K, look at Tatis, he's essentially a right handed Gallo when it comes to K rate but he's much better at using the whole field and the shift doesn't rob him of 20 to 30 hits per year. (Disclaimer, I'd take Tatis a million times before I ever took Gallo, this is only in reference to K rate)
wbt5845
AG

Just for fun, I ran the league leaders in three true outcomes (HR + BB + K) an found what we all know - Joey leads the league. I filtered out anyone who has appeared in less than 60 games.

wbt5845
AG
I was poking around a bit more on Gallo. He still only has one sacrifice fly in his entire career. How in the hell do you do that?
powerbelly
AG
wbt5845 said:

I was poking around a bit more on Gallo. He still only has one sacrifice fly in his entire career. How in the hell do you do that?
That is the most baffling stat to me. He is tied with Clayton Kershaw.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
powerbelly said:

wbt5845 said:

That is the most baffling stat to me. He is tied with Clayton Kershaw.

This has confused me for a while, too. My only unscientific guess is that when he has runners on base, he grounds into the shift more often than he gets the ball in the air. This could be how he is pitched. It could also have to do with runners on base in front of him. The Rangers haven't succeeded in getting runners on base in front of him during his 4+ seasons. I think it was 2019 but I noticed most of his HRs were solo shots. Look at his numbers this year:51 RBIs vs 23 HRs. What does that tell me? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Again, I don't know ow the answer but I have been trying g to figure out a way to come up with an answer for quite some time.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's insane. He should have accidentally done it more than once already. That has to be the outlier to end all outliers.
AggieEP
The only logical answer to the sacrifice fly question is that pitchers pitch Gallo differently with runners on. This would explain some of his lack of RBI production also. In a normal at bat with no one on base the pitcher has an incentive not to walk him so he's much more likely to get a ball in a hitter friendly zone. With a runner on third and less than two outs, walking Gallo likely becomes more attractive, especially with the lack of protection behind him. So the pitcher nibbles, taking his chances with getting a call or getting Gallo to chase. Gallo being Gallo, doesn't change his approach to just poke one in the air to center field to get the sac fly.

As a big baseball nerd, I'd love to see tape on his at bats in sac fly situations to see what's actually happening.

One other theory is that he just doesn't hit many fly balls that don't end up as hits or home runs. Basically, if he's able to elevate the ball, watch out.
wbt5845
AG
Frankly, every time he gets up to bat with a man on 3rd and less than two outs, I get real excited that I might be getting ready to see something historic.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Your last theory is actually my main theory. First, you ha e to have a runner on third with fewer than two outs. Gallo probably hasn't had that situation very often with some of the hitters that have hit in front of him the past 4 seasons. When/if he is in that situation, he is getting low, inside pitches to induce the ground out into the shift. He is probably willing to take a walk in this situation as well.
KT 90
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

That's insane. He should have accidentally done it more than once already. That has to be the outlier to end all outliers.

I mean, you should "accidentally" do that at least once a season, right? Weirdest stat ever for me.
wbt5845
AG
I looked and for guys who gave qualified (3.1 AB per game), only 12 so far have 0 sacrifice flies this year. So being an everyday player and having 0 SF for half a season is rare. Having 1 for a career is outrageous.
wbt5845
AG
Seriously, it's cold in here tonight.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Gallo just had a SF situation. He was 1-2 with runners on 1st and 2nd. Wild pitch moves the runners up and Gallo goes to 2-2. Next pitch was low. Ball 4 was low and away.

I was getting excited thinking he would get the SF.
KT 90
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Gallo just had a SF situation. He was 1-2 with runners on 1st and 2nd. Wild pitch moves the runners up and Gallo goes to 2-2. Next pitch was low. Ball 4 was low and away.

I was getting excited thinking he would get the SF.

Watching with the kid, and we both called it after the WP put runners at second and third. He wasn't going to see another strike that atbat. They were trying to get him to chase or he was going to walk.
KT 90
AG
Garcia and Gallo with back-to-back HR's in the first.

KT 90
AG
And the A's respond with back-to-back solo bombs to tie it up at 2-2. Maybe they've got the AC cranked up and blowing out today?
Schall 02
AG
Please dear God draft Leiter.
KT 90
AG
So I step away for a bit and come back, and now it's 3-2 A's. Of course it was another HR. So we have 5 total runs scored today thus far on 5 HR's. Maybe we can at least shut down the AC when A's bat . TIA

KT 90
AG
Schall 02 said:

Please dear God draft Leiter.

I agree. Been saying it for a while now, draft the best college pitcher available. I'd let Chris Young make the call, as he is a former MLB pitcher Leiter, Rocker, or whoever else. Pick one of them with the first pick. And maybe draft another college pitcher with the 2nd or 3rd pick. We need more legitimate pitching options, and college pitchers are much closer to being big league ready.

KT 90
AG
From today's Scott Lucas email:

Mocks Drafts (Texas pick):
RHP Jack Leiter (Vanderbilt): MLB.com (Jim Callis), ESPN (Kiley McDaniel), FanGraphs (Eric Longenhagen and Kevin Goldstein), Perfect Game (staff), Sporting News (Edward Sutelan), Fansided (Mark Powell)
RHP Kumar Rocker (Vanderbilt): The Athletic (Keith Law)
SS Jordan Lawlar (HS, Dallas): Baseball America (Carlos Collazo), CBS Sports (Mike Axisa)

PatAg
AG
I think Gallo is interesting, because Im still not sure if he has all-star/franchise player potential or not. H'es leading in walks and strikes, but his OBP is almost 400 (also leading).

It would be one thing if he was just striking out a ton, but he is getting on base A LOT. THough he did have a rough start to the year.
Proposition Joe
Are we talking perennial all-star?

Because he was an all-star in 2019 and 2021 (and Gold Glove in 2020)... So the verdict isn't really out on that.

"Franchise player potential" is kind of an empty phrase these days because it all depends on what kind of money you are going to spend on him and the rest of the team. You can be a "franchise player" but if you don't spend and put the right pieces around him your value is wasted (see: A-Rod).

Is it worth paying him big bucks the next 5 years and then adding one more piece to the current roster? No.

Is it worth paying him big bucks the next 5 years and then adding 2-3 more pieces to the current roster? Possibly.

It all depends on what the financial timetable on this team is. If we're going to spend significantly to compete in the next 3 years? Sign him if it's reasonable.

If we're going to continue the "youth movement" for the next couple of years? Trade him if the return is reasonable. Our current crop of youngsters isn't good enough to be no-doubters in a few years, so keeping Gallo around for 85 loss seasons is just delaying becoming a contender again.
AggieEP
I fundamentally disagree with the tanking strategy. There is no guarantee that it will work, and it goes against the spirit of the game.

I don't think it will happen, but the Rangers should sign Gallo to a 4 to 5 year extension. He's basically the face of the franchise and is a 3-5 WAR player. There really isn't much of a difference in drafting top 5 vs top 15 (there is a difference if you can get the number 1 pick, but that's no guarantee and means you have to out tank like 3 other clubs)

I'm old school, but there is value to keeping good players on your ballclub even while rebuilding. Value on building a sustainable fanbase that trusts ownership and value in growing the game with the next batch of little Rangers fans.

Now if Gallo tells you he intends to leave in Free Agency after next year, disregard the above and make the best deal you can.
Grapesoda2525
Really want leiter but would be stoked to get a Vandy pitcher. I hope the pirates take Lawlar or whatever his name is #1 so Kip ***g and the rangers don't over think it.

We never develop top of the rotation pitching. Well.. here's our best chance to do just that.
wbt5845
AG
Biggest issue I have with Gallo is his agent. I am very wary of going past July 31 without an extension.
planoaggie123
AG
Do they keep the roof closed most games at this point? Is there a way to confirm for the game today?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I hear you on that, but As I recall Gallo has said he wants to stay in Texas and has indicated he doesn't need to a ridiculous contract to do it. I know how Boras operates, but he has been overridden by his clients before.
Proposition Joe
planoaggie123 said:

Do they keep the roof closed most games at this point? Is there a way to confirm for the game today?

Not sure where to confirm but it's going to be 90s with a slight chance of rain so it'll be closed.

I'd generally always assume closed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.