*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,887 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
CampingAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody else having issues with the trash Bally Sports website?
DallasAg 94
xjrayx
AG

Not bad at all.
Proposition Joe
Went on a walk when Yang loaded the bases and walked back in the door saying to myself id be happy if we were only down 2.
AgBQ-00
AG
Does White remind anyone else of Craig Gentry?
South Platte
When you see the following statement on the ESPN crawl it gives you a glimmer of hope.

"Rangers fire GM"

Then you realize it relates to the NHL team. Sigh.
Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

When you see the following statement on the ESPN crawl it gives you a glimmer of hope.

"Rangers fire GM"

I think seeing " rangers sold the team" would be even better!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
South Platte said:

"Rangers fire GM"

They just did that effectively last year. Daniels isn't the GM anymore.
DallasAg 94
xjrayx
AG
Really wouldn't mind if this was Lyles last game as a Ranger. Or at the very least last ever start.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
So can we sign Pujols just for fun?

KT 90
AG
Just realized that the Rangers had an afternoon game today... tied up 3-3 heading to the 10th.

xjrayx
AG
Clutch single from Willie! 4-3 Rangers
KT 90
AG
Calhoun hits a ball up near eye level for an RBI single, up 4-3 now.
Faustus
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/angels-to-release-albert-pujols-in-final-season-of-10-year-contract/#:~:text=Albert%20Pujols'%20time%20with%20the,%2Dyear%2C%20%24240%20million%20contract.
Quote:

. . .
"The Angels Organization proudly signed Albert Pujols in 2011, and are honored that he has worn an Angels jersey for nearly half of his Hall-of-Fame Career," Angels owner Arte Moreno said in a statement. "Albert's historical accomplishments, both on and off the field, serve as an inspiration to athletes everywhere, and his actions define what it means to be a true Superstar. Since his Rookie of the Year Season in 2001, Albert and his wife Deidre have generously given their time and resources to countless charities throughout the world. We are thankful to the entire Pujols Family."
. . .
Pujols, 41, is hitting .198/.250/.372 with five home runs in 92 plate appearances this season. He'd started 20 of the team's 29 games at first base, plus another two at DH. Once Pujols clears waivers and is released, the Angels will still owe him the remainder of his $30 million salary this year.

According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Pujols was upset he was not in Wednesday's lineup against Rays lefty Ryan Yarbrough, and the decision to bench him came from the front office, not manager Joe Maddon. It's unclear whether Wednesday's disagreement contributed to Thursday's move.

In parts of 10 seasons with the Angels, Pujols authored a .256/.311/.447 batting line with 222 home runs in 1,181 games, though he's hit only .240/.289/.405 in nearly 2,000 plate appearances since 2017. That is well below average production at first base and DH.
. . .
At 13-16, the Angels are stuck in last place in the AL West. They've lost four straight games and 10 of their last 14 games. Pujols' contract includes a 10-year personal services agreement with the Angels once his playing career is over.
Chuckle at the fact that the article says "once he clears waivers", which would have been true for a number of years but is just now acceptable from a front office standpoint. I wonder what the 10 year personal services agreement pays (and whether he cares to perform), as it must not be included in his base salary for purposes of luxury tax.
awrollins
Willie Calhoun just crushed a ball a foot high into right and Heim scores from 2nd. 4-3!
KT 90
AG
Ranger #007 said:

So did Pujols request this, or did the Angels just cui an future hall of famer during his last season? I know he is way overpaid and not really performing (right at a .200 batting average I believe), but dang this sounds a little harsh. This may put him in a Cardinals jersey for the HOF.

KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

Ranger #007 said:

So did Pujols request this, or did the Angels just cui an future hall of famer during his last season? I know he is way overpaid and not really performing (right at a .200 batting average I believe), but dang this sounds a little harsh. This may put him in a Cardinals jersey for the HOF.

I guess the answer comes from the post up above that posted about the same time as my post:

"Pujols was upset he was not in Wednesday's lineup against Rays lefty Ryan Yarbrough, and the decision to bench him came from the front office, not manager Joe Maddon."

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Ranger #007 said:

South Platte said:

"Rangers fire GM"

They just did that effectively last year. Daniels isn't the GM anymore.
Technically... Like Putin, they just promoted him and then hired a figurehead beneath him.

Has there been a clear delineation of the duties between Daniels and Young? I don't recall reading the specifics of what each one is responsible for exactly.

KT 90
AG
And it is still a little weird in these extra inning games looking up and going "how the hell did that guy get on second" before remembering that is how it works now in extras.

awrollins
Gallo!
xjrayx
AG
JOEY EFFIN GALLO!!!!
KT 90
AG
awrollins said:

Gallo!

Nice sliding catch. They are reviewing it, but it is a catch. Game over.

Trucker 96
Not going to lie, I like the new extra innings rules. Part of it might be how the Rangers have used them to their advantage this past week, along with being a little nostalgic in that this is how we dealt with tied playoff games when I was coaching my girls fastpitch softball teams. But I like them
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
Fore Left! said:

Not going to lie, I like the new extra innings rules. Part of it might be how the Rangers have used them to their advantage this past week, along with being a little nostalgic in that this is how we dealt with tied playoff games when I was coaching my girls fastpitch softball teams. But I like them
I like it too. Makes the game interesting. Adds a bit more strategy to it. Managers would be wise to bring in a strike out pitcher for instance.
hawk1689
AG
KT 90 said:

Ranger #007 said:

That was never in question. Nobody will look back on Albert Pujols as an Angel.
DallasAg 94
AgBQ-00
AG
I thought HOF was decided by longest place of playing now. I didn;t think they got to choose anymore
Grapesoda2525
The turn around in the bullpen the last several weeks has been impressive. Was dreadful early on, but they've been throwing up goose eggs lately. Kennedy/Joely/King/Sborz is a pretty salty group. Hopefully another arm or two steps up out of Hearn/De Guess/Martin.

Really wish we had another dependable SP.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I thought HOF was decided by longest place of playing now. I didn;t think they got to choose anymore

Not sure if guys with contract clauses will get grandfathered somehow, but I just looked and basically there's a HoF panel that decides.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think after the Wade Boggs issue the HOF basically came out and said players don't get final.pick anymore.
Proposition Joe
Angels signing Pujols marked the beginning of seemingly every off-season acquisition of "How is anyone going to compete with THAT roster?"

One playoff appearance.

Zero playoff wins.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525

Pitching coaches are earning their money for sure.

The coaching is why I like Woodward so much more than banny. Banny hired meathead doug brocail who kept blaming the pitchers and saying " the strategy is sound". These pitching coaches are getting results with a bunch of nobodies.

The banny hitting coaches were bad too with the idiotic philosophy that strikeouts are ok as long as you swing for the fences. The rangers still strike out a lot, but they're much more patient hitters than past ranger teams who would chase pitches out of the zone and literally get themselves out. These guys give themselves a chance by mainly swinging at better pitches.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.