*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,844 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
Blindside05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't really keep up with the team during spring training..... Honestly forgot today was opening day until my drive into work this morning. just got the feeling we would be back to the good ole days of score 10 give up 15. Looks like my feeling was correct
Blindside05
AG
AL west storylines during ESPN broadcast of As and asstros, every team has stats for players except us. Our BIG storyline is full capacity stadium. Even they couldn't come up with something for this **** team lol
DallasAg 94
CampingAg
AG
How on earth does an Opening Day starter get staked to a 5-run lead and can't go two thirds of an inning. Brutal.
toucan82
The top of the inning was too long and he cooled down too much?
jtstanley4621
AG
CampingAg said:

How on earth does an Opening Day starter get staked to a 5-run lead and can't go two thirds of an inning. Brutal.

Feels like a fitting precursor for how brutal this season is going to be. The bullpen is already depleted and it's been one freaking game. Our pitching is likely going to be horrific this year
Grapesoda2525
Looks like not much has changed. 2 things have been hallmarks of rangers baseball the last 10 years or so.

1) the rangers are the worst at getting guys home from 3rd base with less than 2 outs. Sacrifice flies are non-existent.

2) ranger pitchers can't execute the shut down inning after a big rally by the offense.
DallasAg 94
gigem1223
DallasAg 94 said:

This is our rotation (2020 Stats):

Gibson: 12 GS, 5.35 ERA, 1.530 WHIP, 67.1 IP, 58 SO
Arihara: 20 G, 3.46 ERA, 1.168 WHIP, 132.2 IP, 106 SO (Japan)
Lyles: 9GS, 7.02 ERA, 1.561 WHIP, 57.2 IP, 36 SO
Foltzy: 1 GS, 16.20 ERA, 2.400 WHIP, 3.1 IP, 3 SO
Dunning: 7GS, 3.97 ERA, 1.118 WHIP, 34.0 IP, 35 SO

My money is on Dunning being the "ace" of the staff
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Looks like not much has changed. 3 things have been hallmarks of rangers baseball the last 10 years or so.

1) the rangers are the worst at getting guys home from 3rd base with less than 2 outs. Sacrifice flies are non-existent.

2) ranger pitchers can't execute the shut down inning after a big rally by the offense.

3) grape *****ing about Odor.

FIFY

Well, 2 of 3 ain't bad, but we are just Game 1.
Actually..... you were the one who brought up odor after only one game. Not me.

KT 90
AG
So what happened to Odor? I assume DFA'd and we have several days to try to deal him (not likely happening)? Then he can either become a FA or accept an assignment to AAA (which is also not likely to happen).

He's getting paid regardless, so I am sure he'll try to catch on with another organization as a free agent, even if they send him to AAA first to get some swings in.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG

Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

So what happened to Odor? I assume DFA'd and we have several days to try to deal him (not likely happening)? Then he can either become a FA or accept an assignment to AAA (which is also not likely to happen).

He's getting paid regardless, so I am sure he'll try to catch on with another organization as a free agent, even if they send him to AAA first to get some swings in.
I think the rangers are eager to turn the page from the last few years, bring in some new blood, and really try to change this thing.

Beltre retired, Elvis is gone, the only big guy left from the last regime was odor. Odor was also a big irritant with the fans, many many fans were exuberant when they heard the news that odor has been DFA. Any ranger fan who had any intelligence at all rolled their eyes when Emily Jones would start talking before the game about how hard odor is working and how he has it in him to figure it out because we knew it just wasn't going to happen here.

Do I think odor will be a good player elsewhere? It's doubtful. There's major holes in his swing, his batting average is terrible, and he can't draw a walk to save his life. It took the league about 2 years to figure out odor and he never adjusted. 2 years.......about the same time it took for JD give odor that pony laced contract. In today's MLB, You need to be an intelligent guy, listen to your coaches, and make the proper adjustments to how pitchers are approaching you. Odor never demonstrated the ability to adjust.

In fairness to odor, I think he got some bad advice from our former meathead coaching staff. Jeff banister and his regime were downright terrible. Baseball is a team game and sometimes you have to do the little things to manufacture runs. Well..... I alluded to it earlier in this thread but under banister the little things were not valued. He didn't care for walks, sacrifices or moving guys over, or stacking hits. Banny liked meathead baseball where it's ok if you strikeout as long as you're swinging for the fences.
investorAg83
AG
gigem1223 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

This is our rotation (2020 Stats):

Gibson: 12 GS, 5.35 ERA, 1.530 WHIP, 67.1 IP, 58 SO
Arihara: 20 G, 3.46 ERA, 1.168 WHIP, 132.2 IP, 106 SO (Japan)
Lyles: 9GS, 7.02 ERA, 1.561 WHIP, 57.2 IP, 36 SO
Foltzy: 1 GS, 16.20 ERA, 2.400 WHIP, 3.1 IP, 3 SO
Dunning: 7GS, 3.97 ERA, 1.118 WHIP, 34.0 IP, 35 SO

My money is on Dunning being the "ace" of the staff

I knew that once the trade happened.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621
AG
JD sunk us big time with his drafting failures. Best case scenario Gallo has a good season and we can turn him around for some good prospects. We pretty much need an injection of talent at every single position on the baseball field.
rbtexan
S
I'm disinclined to give Kip F a g g a hall pass on the draft failures. IMO, if this year's draft isn't exceptional, he needs to get his a$$ fired.
sburg2007
All star game pulled from Atlanta because baseball gonna baseball.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
sburg2007 said:

All star game pulled from Atlanta because baseball gonna baseball.
I'm at an all-time level of confusion about this. Why is MLB even involved?
Super Aggie 64
AG
Bad news for the Rangers. Will they try to keep a future ASG game out of GLF due to politics?
sburg2007
I think we all know why baseball did what they did whether we agree with it or not.
Mr Gigem
AG
Can anyone give a brief synopsis on what the changes to the voting laws in GA were?
Trucker 96
They aren't going to have very many states to play the All Star game if they avoid every state that has basically the same laws. Starting with Yankee Stadium snd Citi Field
sburg2007
I'm sure I'll get hammered for my synopsis, but they're requiring I'd for voting. The left says it's racist because minorities are poor and can't get an ID due to placement and hours of ID centers (DL Offices.)
Mr Gigem
AG
sburg2007 said:

I'm sure I'll get hammered for my synopsis, but they're requiring I'd for voting. The left says it's racist because minorities are poor and can't get an ID due to placement and hours of ID centers (DL Offices.)
I'm not seeing the problem here, and I don't see why the MLB should either.
DallasAg 94
rbtexan
S
I don't want to hijack the thread, but you can bet they won't have a problem at all requiring people to show proof of vaccinations. But I guess that's not racist because..
wbt5845
AG
From the NYT - for what it's worth:

sburg2007
Yea, I have zero problem with any of that, but I'm a white male so I'm what they hate.
alvtimes
2021 MLB draft will be only 20 rounds..... are they trying to gut the minor league system???? Thats makes 25 players drafted by each team in last 2 yrs
Schall 02
AG
Raising the flag on F16-style discussions. Back to the Rangers sucking, please.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.