*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

236,865 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

The banny hitting coaches were bad too with the idiotic philosophy that strikeouts are ok as long as you swing for the fences. The rangers still strike out a lot, but they're much more patient hitters than past ranger teams who would chase pitches out of the zone and literally get themselves out. These guys give themselves a chance by mainly swinging at better pitches.
Let's look at one case in point - our old whipping boy, Rougned Odor.

Yankees hitting coach is Marcus Thames (who the Rangers traded Ruben Sierra away for in 2003). Worked his way up through the Yankees farm system as a hitting instructor. The man is a respected hitting coach.

So what's happened with Rougy? Well, he still sucks - hitting .164. But let's look at some stats. Smallish sample, but we are right at 50% of the 2021 shortened season.

148 PA
138 AB
10 HR
7 BB
47 K

70 PA
61 AB
4 HR
7 BB
10 K

So at the halfway mark, he has a similar rate of HRs - he's walking twice as much as 2020 and striking out half as much. Keep in mind he still doesn't walk enough and strikes out way too much. But it isn't historically bad like in the past.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ruben Sierra came back to the Rangers in 03?

Edit: apparently so. That was my first season back in Dallas after school when I got to pay more attention to the Rangers again. Totally don't remember him.
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

The banny hitting coaches were bad too with the idiotic philosophy that strikeouts are ok as long as you swing for the fences. The rangers still strike out a lot, but they're much more patient hitters than past ranger teams who would chase pitches out of the zone and literally get themselves out. These guys give themselves a chance by mainly swinging at better pitches.

Yankees hitting coach is Marcus Thames (who the Rangers traded Ruben Sierra away for in 2003). Worked his way up through the Yankees farm system as a hitting instructor. The man is a respected hitting coach.

So what's happened with Rougy? Well, he still sucks - hitting .164. But let's look at some stats. Smallish sample, but we are right at 50% of the 2021 shortened season.
Joy
148 PA
138 AB
10 HR
7 BB
47 K

70 PA
61 AB
4 HR
7 BB
10 K

So at the halfway mark, he has a similar rate of HRs - he's walking twice as much as 2020 and striking out half as much. Keep in mind he still doesn't walk enough and strikes out way too much. But it isn't historically bad like in the past.
I figured the yankees would improve him a little bit, but they mainly wanted him to play some infield positions until their roster gets healthy.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Pitching coaches are earning their money for sure.

The coaching is why I like Woodward so much more than banny. Banny hired meathead doug brocail who kept blaming the pitchers and saying " the strategy is sound". These pitching coaches are getting results with a bunch of nobodies.

Oh no... about a week ago everyone was posting all the stats on the starting pitchers and how good they were ranked. Then they got pounded the next several games. Lookout bullpen!

PatAg
AG
wbt5845 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

148 PA
138 AB
10 HR
7 BB
47 K

70 PA
61 AB
4 HR
7 BB
10 K

You're ignoring the future atbats. The ones where he has a taste of power hitting and starts swinging for the fences again, and then the strikeouts come in spades.
Mr Gigem
AG
Guess who just got promoted???
Grapesoda2525
Mr Gigem said:

Are you the guy people talk to when they need rangers tickets? I have a few questions.
KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

I assume you? If so, congrats!

note: I just scanned the twitter of several beat writers and I see no minor league promotions to the Rangers, so it's gotta be you.
KT 90
AG
I did see that we made some moves related to R&D/Metrics and Sports Science (and some others)

Mr Gigem
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Are you the guy people talk to when they need rangers tickets? I have a few questions.
Yes I am
Mr Gigem
AG
KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

note: I just scanned the twitter of several beat writers and I see no minor league promotions to the Rangers, so it's gotta be you.
KT 90
AG
Mr Gigem said:

KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Wait, Woodward got canned and you are in charge now? Sweet!

We'll text you during the game to help out with pitching change decisions and anything else you need help on

gcracker13
AG
Mr Gigem said:

KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

So you're the mascot now?
KT 90
AG
gcracker13 said:

Mr Gigem said:

KT 90 said:

Mr Gigem said:

uess who just got promoted???

So you're the mascot now?

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Rangers trade C Drew Butera to Angels for cash.
wbt5845
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Rangers trade C Drew Butera to Angels for cash.
Yeah, our decent catching situation has made him surplus. And he deserves the chance to play somewhere.
Mr Gigem
AG
Gallo bunt with two outs, right to the pitcher. Wtf
Mr Gigem
AG
I never want to see Gallo lay down another bunt. It's completely ridiculous
DallasAg 94
gigem1223
Davis activated for tonight's game
wbt5845
AG
TIL if the runner they put at 2nd in extra innings scores, it's not an earned run.
Cromagnum
AG
Damnit. Wrong thread.
xjrayx
AG
Think I'm over Arihara. He just doesn't look like a major league starter at all.
DallasAg 94
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Gallo just hit a bomb. Here at the park. It was a no doubter off the bat!

Opposite field too.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Gallo just hit a bomb. Here at the park. It was a no doubter off the bat!

Opposite field too.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Oppo taco for Gallo. That was weird.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
And to dead center! Number 2 today! Where is Fat Bib Fortuna when you need him?
xjrayx
AG
Watching IKF's development over the past few seasons has really been such a joy. One of my favorite Rangers for sure.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
IKF bat flipped that double through the infield a little bit.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I hate Seager. Can we trade for him like we did Davis?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Gotta agree with Nitkowski. Great intro song choice for King.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Gotta agree with Nitkowski. Great intro song choice for King.

Agreed. Great song!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's been said before but these guys are at least fun to watch. I like Garcia. I hope he keeps it up.
Trucker 96
Little league mental error. Not sure I have ever seen an MLBer do that

Flashbacks to coaching my girls teams in fastpitch softball in early elementary. CONSTANTLY quizzing them and reminding them "you have to tag!" when the baserunner situations would come up. Relentless

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.