*****Official Texas Rangers 2021 Season Thread*****

237,450 Views | 3491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by DeangeloVickers
rbtexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
that's right, Foscue was the 1st rounder. I stand corrected.
vander54
S
KT 90
AG
He just can't avoid the injury bug:

rbtexan
S
I hope the Rangers draft Leiter....that way we can get a jump on his Tommy John surgery
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's depressingly accurate.
DallasAg 94
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Hoping for Leiter also.
planoaggie123
AG
Looking to take my kids to their first Rangers game (son will have just completed his first baseball camp).

July 11....need 4 tickets.

Can find online (and will use the code) but checking to see if anyone on Texags has any they want to offload beforehand.

Now posted on about 50% of texags boards...
KT 90
AG
Leiter or Rocker. Pick one and draft him. We need to draft the best available college pitcher (been saying that for a while now). At least one of them will be available, if not both. Pick one of them. Let Chris Young make the call, he is a former mlb pitcher.
gigem1223
I'm fully prepared for our cheap skate owners to take Lawler because they don't wanna pay over slot and here we are waiting 4-5 years to see if he even pans out.
powerbelly
AG
gigem1223 said:

I'm fully prepared for our cheap skate owners to take Lawler because they don't wanna pay over slot and here we are waiting 4-5 years to see if he even pans out.
He is committed to Vandy. We will probably still pay over slot.
DallasAg 94
powerbelly
AG
That assumes a lot of compentance.
Trucker 96
Leiter is a no brainer if he's there. I'm still not sold on Rocker tho. There are a couple of guys I could live with taking over him as long as they get them signed.
gigem1223
Gallo is about as hot as the sun right now
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
gigem1223 said:

Gallo is about as hot as the sun right now

Oppo taco. Again.
dave94
AG
WTF was Woodward thinking?
DallasAg 94
SOLAK!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

SOLAK!

Insurance runs.
KT 90
AG
Good to see Solak with a multi-hit game. Need to get him back to hitting more consistently.
KT 90
AG
Well Kennedy made that a little, uh, interesting. Rangers hold on for the win though.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Glad we got that HR from Solak. Whew!
jtstanley4621
AG
Gibson leads the AL in ERA. We are confronted with essentially the same situation from our top starter with another year of team control for the third season in a row. It's going to kill me if we keep the guy. I don't care if you can't get top of the line return for him. Him on this Rangers team is useless and actually hurts us. Add prospects and further sure up a top draft selection.
wbt5845
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Gibson leads the AL in ERA. We are confronted with essentially the same situation from our top starter with another year of team control for the third season in a row. It's going to kill me if we keep the guy. I don't care if you can't get top of the line return for him. Him on this Rangers team is useless and actually hurts us. Add prospects and further sure up a top draft selection.
Once again, last year was an anomaly in that Lance Lynn had an effective "no trade" clause due to the COVID opt out. So JD was hamstrung and had to wait until the off season.

I'll roast JD for many things, but last year's LL no trade was not on him.

Not moving Mike Minor in 2019 was a mistake.
jtstanley4621
AG
Fair enough. Either way, Gibson needs to be shipped out. It's quite bizarre that the pitching staff has shaped up the way it has for the past few years. One guy WAY out in front and then mediocre pitchers at best behind him.

Felt like he was developing at the beginning of the year, but I'm starting to think Dunning may not have it. Only his second MLB season but he's already 26 with a 4.63 ERA, and he frankly doesn't throw very hard at all. Doesn't seem like a big time control/location guy either. Further underscores the need to add pitching talent back into this organization. I'm actually fairly optimistic about some of the guys we have coming up through the ranks but we need a few more good ones on top of them.
Grapesoda2525
Do you guys think we get a big haul for Gibson? I think we should given his stats, but there's usually a difference between what should happen and what actually happens.
Trucker 96
I don't expect great offers because of his history. He's been great this year, but he's 33 years old and a career 4.8 ERA guy. There will be expectations of him returning to the mean in the 2nd half
wbt5845
AG
My belief has always been you'll get more for trading him early. You get a few extra starts out of him that way and more teams are still in it, so seems like teams would pay a premium. But selling guys for their maximum value is what JD is supposed to do.
jtstanley4621
AG
I'm sure that'll be a consideration but a trade for him will essentially be betting on him bolstering whatever team's rotation for this season which is basically what any pitching trade for a top ERA guy is going to be in any given season.

The crazy part is there are 3 guys in the NL with lower ERAs, culminating with DeGrom with his insane 0.69 ERA (nice)
rbtexan
S
I agree we should probably trade Gibson, but a few important factors to consider:

1) In the last year or so, teams have backed away from trading away valued prospects for veteran players (reference what Cleveland got for Francisco Lindor...it wasn't much considering his talent/production). While I'm sure we'd get some return, it wouldn't be anything remotely close to the Texiera trade, and most likely not players/prospects that will be game changing for the trajectory of the franchise.

2) The CBA negotiations are looming, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a strike or lockout. I doubt teams are going to be trading away lower salaried players when they're facing the prospect of losing even more revenue next year.

3) See above regarding the COVID shutdown. MLB teams were hemorrhaging money last season, and I wonder if they'll be gun shy about trading away players they have control over at a low cost - at least until they make some money back this season.

I could be wrong about all of that, but it seems pretty logical to me. The same things apply to trading Gallo IMO - you probably do it, and just hope you get something (anything) in return, without having lofty expectations about hauling in a bunch of players that will turn things around for the Rangers.
Grapesoda2525
rbtexan said:

I agree we should probably trade Gibson, but a few important factors to consider:

1) In the last year or so, teams have backed away from trading away valued prospects for veteran players (reference what Cleveland got for Francisco Lindor...it wasn't much considering his talent/production). While I'm sure we'd get some return, it wouldn't be anything remotely close to the Texiera trade, and most likely not players/prospects that will be game changing for the trajectory of the franchise.

2) The CBA negotiations are looming, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a strike or lockout. I doubt teams are going to be trading away lower salaried players when they're facing the prospect of losing even more revenue next year.

3) See above regarding the COVID shutdown. MLB teams were hemorrhaging money last season, and I wonder if they'll be gun shy about trading away players they have control over at a low cost - at least until they make some money back this season.

I could be wrong about all of that, but it seems pretty logical to me. The same things apply to trading Gallo IMO - you probably do it, and just hope you get something (anything) in return, without having lofty expectations about hauling in a bunch of players that will turn things around for the Rangers.
I don't think anyone was expecting a teixera type haul. For a pitcher as good as Gibson, I'd want 3 players. One player who could be very good, one player who could be a regular major league player, and the last could be a guy from A ball with some upside.

We should still get good value for Gibson.
jtstanley4621
AG
Cole Winn and Cole Ragans both named to the all-star futures team. I didn't realize Ragans ended up getting TWO TJ surgeries. Absolutely brutal. Either way I'm interested to see how those two continue to develop. I have said this before but I may actually cry tears of joy the day the Rangers produce a good, homegrown young SP
rbtexan
S
Grapesoda2525 said:

rbtexan said:

I don't think anyone was expecting a teixera type haul. For a pitcher as good as Gibson, I'd want 3 players. One player who could be very good, one player who could be a regular major league player, and the last could be a guy from A ball with some upside.

We should still get good value for Gibson.
We should, but I don't think we will given the current climate.

Hope I'm wrong. But I think if Gibson is traded, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. It's likely going to be slightly less than we got for Lance Lynn.
Schall 02
AG
I'd think more than slightly less. Lynn had multiple years of success. That is, less risk for the acquiring team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lynnla01.shtml
rbtexan
S
Schall 02 said:

I'd think more than slightly less. Lynn had multiple years of success. That is, less risk for the acquiring team.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lynnla01.shtml
Again, and I can't emphasize this enough:

There wasn't a potential work stoppage looming when Lynn was traded. There is now. Because of that, I think that trade-deadline players will have less value this season than they would in typical years.

I could be wrong, and hope I am, but I truly don't believe you'll see Gibson, Kennedy, Gallo, or any other player we might trade, pull in the type of return that we would get in any other year. One year post-covid, plus the CBA uncertainty...doesn't bode well. Again, just my opinion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.