BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

660,303 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Tailgate88
AggieCVQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks good. Might go try them this weekend.
EvenPar
AG
Well, the next day you realize you spent $100 and you're hungry all over again with nothing to show for your $100 spend the night before.

It's just a matter of value per spend in the eyes of the spender. It's not right or wrong.

We don't go out to $100 dinners unless we have a gift card, and we can afford it.
phillytex24
100k college students here - these restaurants have to advertise. Huge demographic! Word of mouth doesn't cut it in this generation. Everyone is stuck in their phones. Also, worst economy in 100 years doesn't help either.
MiMi
S
phillytex24 said:

100k college students here - these restaurants have to advertise. Huge demographic! Word of mouth doesn't cut it in this generation. Everyone is stuck in their phones. Also, worst economy in 100 years doesn't help either.

I am not sure that 100K students is accurate data. Nonetheless, many of the restaurants opening in the past few years are likely not relying on the student population to stay in business. For us long time locals that remember a time when 'eating out' establishments were minimal, I am grateful for so many options. I celebrate every new restaurant opening and give them all a try.
Rex Racer
AG
MiMi said:

phillytex24 said:

I am not sure that 100K students is accurate data. Nonetheless, many of the restaurants opening in the past few years are likely not relying on the student population to stay in business. For us long time locals that remember a time when 'eating out' establishments were minimal, I am grateful for so many options. I celebrate every new restaurant opening and give them all a try.

Between undergrads close to 75,000, graduate students, and Blinn students, it's not as far off as one might think.
BiochemAg97
AG
Rex Racer said:

MiMi said:

phillytex24 said:

Between undergrads close to 75,000, graduate students, and Blinn students, it's not as far off as one might think.

Not 75k undergraduates. Official TAMU Fall 2023 is 77K (61k undergrad), but that includes Galveston, Qatar, McAllen, various health science center locations, law school in Fort Worth, and the Engineering Academies. Take out the locations outside of Brazos county and you drop to 70k total (57k undergrad) in BCS.

Still a lot. Blinn adds 17.5k in Bryan, but how many are double counted? 1500 Blinn Team students and who knows how many TAMU students take a class at Blinn.

Also need to add in RELLIS students that are enrolled at the various TAMU@ schools.

Probably close to 85k-90k total college students in BCS.
TyHolden
AG
I can't wait to hear the first review of this place by a townie...

AG81
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Rex Racer said:

MiMi said:

phillytex24 said:

Not 75k undergraduates. Official TAMU Fall 2023 is 77K (61k undergrad), but that includes Galveston, Qatar, McAllen, various health science center locations, law school in Fort Worth, and the Engineering Academies. Take out the locations outside of Brazos county and you drop to 70k total (57k undergrad) in BCS.

Still a lot. Blinn adds 17.5k in Bryan, but how many are double counted? 1500 Blinn Team students and who knows how many TAMU students take a class at Blinn.

Also need to add in RELLIS students that are enrolled at the various TAMU@ schools.

Only on Texags. Is the main point that with so many students restaurants need to advertise any less valid if there are "only" 85K students instead of 100K? What's wrong with you people?
maroon barchetta
First time on the Aggieland board?
maroon barchetta
TyHolden said:

I can't wait to hear the first review of this place by a townie...

I wish Greg D was here to give an FTR.

Of course, conditions set by a judge wouldn't allow him near a bar, so that wouldn't work.
Look Out Below
AG
I went to Fargo's Thursday and there was a decent crowd. They always sell out of one version of the pork chops when I go on Thursdays.

If you ever want to get a lot of food for a group, their party packs are remarkably affordable. $500 serves 40 people -- 4 meats and two sides plus bread, pickles and onions.

Also +1 for Taco Bar. Rolando is a great dude and the food is terrific. He just needs a little help getting the word out.
BiochemAg97
AG
AG81 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Rex Racer said:

MiMi said:

phillytex24 said:

Only on Texags. Is the main point that with so many students restaurants need to advertise any less valid if there are "only" 85K students instead of 100K? What's wrong with you people?

If you want to take 85k-90k students as significant compared to the claim of 100k in this context, then that is on you. I'd say "not as far off as you might think" is probably accurate.

That said, people need to stop confusing total enrollment with undergrad enrollment.
AG81
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

AG81 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

Rex Racer said:

MiMi said:

phillytex24 said:

If you want to take 85k-90k students as significant compared to the claim of 100k in this context, then that is on you. I'd say "not as far off as you might think" is probably accurate.

That said, people need to stop confusing total enrollment with undergrad enrollment.

I rest my case.....
AG81
AG
maroon barchetta said:

First time on the Aggieland board?

Just embarrassed that so many have a degree and a ring. Seems to be getting worse. See the most recent comment by BioChemAg97. He totally lost the plot.
Hornbeck
TL; DR…
How many college kids in the B/CS area?
A lot.
EBrazosAg
AG
This needs a different thread, please……not the one pinned to the top of the forum….
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
Hyperbole Bookstore (Towerpoint) opens this Friday.
techno-ag
AG
MiMi said:

Best opening ever! Can't wait!
UhOhNoAgTag
AggieAces06 said:

MS08 said:

On the surface it looks like that. I saw a zoning change sign posted nearby it recently but never followed up on it. It could have been to parcel it out/separate it from the larger 14 acre parcel that it is a part of. It's owned by a development named LLC that has ties to other subdivision developments, but still think this particular property is a custom single family residence. Could be that additional development will go behind it on the additional land.

The house is just a house. One of the local developers is building it for himself. (I'm not going to mention names for privacy reasons.)

The rezoning sign a while back was for the property behind the house.

I heard its the residential developer who wants to be King of his Midtown. Supposedly homeowners were promised a pool and they're not getting one.
MsDoubleD81
AG
I heard this too.. and the zoning request was to move the walking path off his property and on to the church property.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A few highlights from the most recent new development submissions to the city of College Station:

1) Asher Turkey Creek Apartments - 8699 Turkey Creek Road
279 units (203 one-bedrooms, 66 two-bedrooms, 10 three-bedrooms)
Based on the location and the unit allocations, it seems like this is geared towards non-undergrads. Maybe grad students, HSC students, and employees in the bio-corridor and RELLIS.

2) Dollar Tree - 3711 Harvey Road

3) Barron Landing Office Park - 2840 Barron Road (Barron and Fitch)

Nine office buildings (multiple suites in each) totaling just under 100,000 square feet of space.

ratfacemcdougal
UhOhNoAgTag said:

AggieAces06 said:

MS08 said:

On the surface it looks like that. I saw a zoning change sign posted nearby it recently but never followed up on it. It could have been to parcel it out/separate it from the larger 14 acre parcel that it is a part of. It's owned by a development named LLC that has ties to other subdivision developments, but still think this particular property is a custom single family residence. Could be that additional development will go behind it on the additional land.

The house is just a house. One of the local developers is building it for himself. (I'm not going to mention names for privacy reasons.)

The rezoning sign a while back was for the property behind the house.

I heard its the residential developer who wants to be King of his Midtown. Supposedly homeowners were promised a pool and they're not getting one.
Two quick google searches and you have his name
ratfacemcdougal
At one point a site plan was posted for the Taco Bell at 3850 Hwy 6, S (just north of Rock Prairie) Do you still have access to that site plan ?
Captn_Ag05
AG
I don't believe the project was ever filed with the city. This is the TDLR filing, but they have since closed out the project.

Counterpoint
AG
techno-ag said:

MiMi said:

I think I see what you did there!
FlyRod
Counterpoint said:

techno-ag said:

MiMi said:

I think I see what you did there!

Having looked at their listings online, and knowing techno a bit, I would be very very surprised if he even got within 500 feet of that store lol
TyHolden
AG
Dustoff00 said:

Poche's report for 3 adult diners.

Really enjoyed the food. Items consumed: appetizer, two cups of Gumbo(more like small bowls actually and really good flavor), side of Red Beans and rice(decent but nothing that stood out), Roast Beef po-boy(Sandwich was great, fries a bit cold but had good flavor), Shrimp & Crab Etouffee (nice flavors, plenty of shrimp, and good portion), bread pudding (not what I would normally expect when ordering at most restaurants, but was pleasantly surprised, light and delicious), a beer, soda, water. Would go back again and again just for Gumbo, RB po-boy, and Bread pudding alone. Menu should start to expand starting tomorrow, and the plan is to be fully opened up, including lunch hours, shortly after Alabama game. Glad we went and will be back often.

Btw only 77+tax and tip. I consider this very reasonable for the quality and quantity of food. For comparison, on par with places like Nate's in Addison for those that have been there.
Went tonight. About half full but it was raining. Food was great. It took a while but staff kept filling up my glass. I'll definitely go back. Met RC Slocum on the way out.
VetSurg
AG
The boudin stuffed pork chop is fantastic.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Isn't Poche's associated with 1860 Italia, which is (partially?) owned by John Harvey Slocum?
TyHolden
AG
MyNameIsJeff said:

Isn't Poche's associated with 1860 Italia, which is (partially?) owned by John Harvey Slocum?
I believe 1860 is. Not sure about Poche's.
chickencoupe16
AG
When you do a reservation at Poche's, they offer an alternative reservation at 1860, so I'm guessing so
spike427
AG
Glamour Beauty Salon - a new salon open(ing soon?) in the same building as Bubbies and Xotic over by Lowes and Tad's in CS. They offer "Threading, facial, wax, hair color, hair styles, hair cut." 1151 William D. Fitch
Collectonian
Saw a Coming Soon sign for Cinnaholic, Gourmet Cinnamon Roll, place in Culpepper Plaza (or whatever it's name is now). In the same segment as Poets and Tanaka.

https://www.cinnaholic.com/
Why yes, yes I really do run the best (and only) BCS ICEE Guide!
crbongos
AG
TyHolden said:

MyNameIsJeff said:

I believe 1860 is. Not sure about Poche's.

Poche's, Le Petite Cochan and 1860 all are owned by Johnnie Poche. He has different partners in each establishment including John Harvey Slocum, Tom Kenny, etc.
CRBongo
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Cool, thanks. I thought I'd heard something about the 1860-Poche's connection, but I wasn't aware of Le Petite Cochon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.