BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2023)

637,332 Views | 2804 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Tailgate88
MS08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

maroon barchetta said:

How many requests did you get to take bus riders off-route and drop them there?

Or was it on the route?
I never had a route that ran down 29th street. I did take the bus through Taco Bell on Harvey Rd on my last route on my day as a driver though, and bought a crispy taco for everyone on the bus.
That's "Living Mas!" - what a way to go out!
Jsimonds58
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let's goo
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://m.facebook.com/events/1577329756069008?mibextid=Z0UBBX
MS08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks! They have already been here, lol. Guess they renovated and are making it a thing/event.
DimeBox17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Garhett_W said:

Pop Stroke (Tiger Woods Putt Putt) coming to College Station. Announced on Tiger's instagram with 13 other new locations around the US.


Went to the one in Katy a couple of weeks ago.

-Good food. Not going to be the best meal you've ever had but it was good enough for bar food. I think Big Shots food is better based on what I've had there.
-Big Shots looks to have a better bar setup but I'm a beer drinker so I can't be the judge of it. The servers at Popstroke do follow you around the course and continue serving so that was nice.
-I personally liked the mini golf approach over just hitting a golf ball but that may have been my competitive side coming out. Lots of people will enjoy both places so I don't think either one will really "takeover". Popstroke will definitely get the crowd starting out just like Bigshots did.

It's crazy to see how far we've come with family entertainment in BCS. If my parents paid for our entertainment growing up, it was either the old Putt-Putt golf, Wolf Pen skating rink, Mr Gattis or Triangle Bowl.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder where PopStroke will be located. The new development that is going in next to Costco is supposed to include an entertainment venue, so maybe there. But, I was thinking that would be where the K1 speed would be located.

PopStroke might be too large of a footprint for the location next to Costco.
kraut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I wonder where PopStroke will be located. The new development that is going in next to Costco is supposed to include an entertainment venue, so maybe there. But, I was thinking that would be where the K1 speed would be located.

PopStroke might be too large of a footprint for the location next to Costco.
Looked up the PopStroke in Katy on google-earth. Its footprint is roughly 3 acres.

For perspective, Bigshots is on roughly 10 acres. The lot north of Costco is around 22 acres. PopStroke could fit with room to spare.
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Factory Builders just moved down Wellborn next to the Caminos Mexican Restaurant. They've been open for a while, just having a grand opening event I believe. I got an email or something announcing it as I'm a customer.

Much larger showroom. I haven't been since it's been fully stocked and set up.
EvenPar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I wonder where PopStroke will be located.
NE corner of University and South College - empty corner field at Century Square.

Friends in Katy say theirs stays packed and rave about how much more fun it is for the non-golfers that the TopGolf/BigShots style entertainment. Will be interesting to see if it effects Big Shots in Bryan.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EvenPar said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I wonder where PopStroke will be located.
NE corner of University and South College - empty corner field at Century Square.

Friends in Katy say theirs stays packed and rave about how much more fun it is for the non-golfers that the TopGolf/BigShots style entertainment. Will be interesting to see if it effects Big Shots in Bryan.
That is a heck of a location. They must have paid a pretty penny for that spot. Looking forward to checking it out!
Broncos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EvenPar said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I wonder where PopStroke will be located.
NE corner of University and South College - empty corner field at Century Square.

Friends in Katy say theirs stays packed and rave about how much more fun it is for the non-golfers that the TopGolf/BigShots style entertainment. Will be interesting to see if it effects Big Shots in Bryan.
Maybe the paid parking will keep the crowds away.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

EvenPar said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

I wonder where PopStroke will be located.
NE corner of University and South College - empty corner field at Century Square.

Friends in Katy say theirs stays packed and rave about how much more fun it is for the non-golfers that the TopGolf/BigShots style entertainment. Will be interesting to see if it effects Big Shots in Bryan.
That is a heck of a location. They must have paid a pretty penny for that spot. Looking forward to checking it out!


That will be a great location. Hopefully they can flush the toilets though.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Signage up for "Breakthrough Music School & Recording Studio" in the building by PetSmart at Tower Point.
BlueMiles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't A&M own that? Will they be leasing?
BlueMiles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
To follow up to my own question, KBTX shares some details (thank you, Rusty with KBTX):

"A specific location hasn't been shared but the new location in Aggieland is one of 13 additional venues the company is building in the United States.

A spokesperson for the Texas A&M University System tells KBTX the company did respond to its Request for Proposal to put it on College Avenue on A&M's land in Hensel Park but "we have yet to decide if that's the highest and best use of that land. Perhaps they have another piece of land picked out.""

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/04/28/new-golf-entertainment-venue-designed-by-tiger-woods-coming-college-station/
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A member of the College Station city council confirmed on Facebook that it would be at University and S. College.
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I assume the poster was suggesting the location.
ZoneClubber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Tailgate88 said:


That is a heck of a location. They must have paid a pretty penny for that spot. Looking forward to checking it out!


That will be a great location. Hopefully they can flush the toilets though.
Exactly. More flushes provides a great reason to invest in that new lift station that will be a few feet away.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With Century Square, PopStroke, the redevelopment of Hensel Park, and all of the mid rises and planned mid-rises, how much longer do we think the Hurricane Harry's center and that large parking lot will last?
bcstx06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Captn_Ag05 said:

With Century Square, PopStroke, the redevelopment of Hensel Park, and all of the mid rises and planned mid-rises, how much longer do we think the Hurricane Harry's center and that large parking lot will last?


There were plans announced a few years ago (maybe before the pandemic) that were similar to Century Square.

I'm surprised that the West Gate Shopping Center behind North Gate hasn't been redeveloped yet. I'm sure it's coming with North Gate becoming crowded with new high rises.
I don't think PopStroke will hurt Bigshots, but it would've been nice to have something different than golf that's so close to Bigshots. Maybe a soccer or baseball version of big shots or some kind of pickle ball attraction, but that's just my 2 cents. Competition is great though, it keeps business from going down hill.

There is also a miniature golf place going in near Home Depot.
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Captn_Ag05 said:

With Century Square, PopStroke, the redevelopment of Hensel Park, and all of the mid rises and planned mid-rises, how much longer do we think the Hurricane Harry's center and that large parking lot will last?


The Culpeppers are wisely waiting until Century Square infills more so they are not competing for the same users. That's a Legacy property for them that they've had forever. Prudent developers.
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bcstx06 said:

I don't think PopStroke will hurt Bigshots, but it would've been nice to have something different than golf that's so close to Bigshots.

Isn't PopStroke mini golf? Totally different from BigShots.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bcstx06 said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

With Century Square, PopStroke, the redevelopment of Hensel Park, and all of the mid rises and planned mid-rises, how much longer do we think the Hurricane Harry's center and that large parking lot will last?


There were plans announced a few years ago (maybe before the pandemic) that were similar to Century Square.

I'm surprised that the West Gate Shopping Center behind North Gate hasn't been redeveloped yet. I'm sure it's coming with North Gate becoming crowded with new high rises.
I don't think PopStroke will hurt Bigshots, but it would've been nice to have something different than golf that's so close to Bigshots. Maybe a soccer or baseball version of big shots or some kind of pickle ball attraction, but that's just my 2 cents. Competition is great though, it keeps business from going down hill.

There is also a miniature golf place going in near Home Depot.
I thought the mini golf course next to Home Depot fell through and the property was back up for lease?

The Schulman Movie Bowl Grille will have some indoor and outdoor pickleball courts.
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

With Century Square, PopStroke, the redevelopment of Hensel Park, and all of the mid rises and planned mid-rises, how much longer do we think the Hurricane Harry's center and that large parking lot will last?


The Culpeppers are wisely waiting until Century Square infills more so they are not competing for the same users. That's a Legacy property for them that they've had forever. Prudent developers.


Interestingly, it's the Culpeppers that caused most of the growth to move to College Station. In the 1970's Bryan had about 40,000 residents and College Station about 17,000. College Station ended at 2818. The Culpeppers owned Manor East Mall (where the Tejas Center is), the only Mall in town. In the late 70's the DeBartolo family (owners of the SF 49ers at the time) was building malls across the country and wanted wanted to build one at Briarcrest and the bypass. Being only a few miles down the road from Manor East Mall, the Culpeppers objected and the city declined to offer tax abatements. The DeBartilos went down the road to the College Station City Council which gladly granted the tax abatements. The mall was built and the massive growth in College Station followed. In the intervening years Bryan population grew from 40,000 to just over 86,000. By contrast in the same period College Station grew from 17,000 to just over 120,000.
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A little revisionist- or maybe just early completion history there. Why would the mall drive all the development delta in CS vs B? What % would a prudent person assign to yr 1,5,10,15,20? I'm sure it would be changing. CS was primed to grow either way due to demographic factors. If it wasn't the mall, it would have been something else. What aspect of the initial issue would be assigned to the original Bryan sellers (Harrison if I understand correctly) vs Culpepper? Also - as we move into the next 2-3 decades how does it all work out for both cities ? Mall redevelopment? Non-mall big box retail? Lots left to be decided. I'm not saying your take on what happened is incorrect. Just saying the song is still being sung and not in its last verse. If the mall was in B, would the BCC have committed to downtown redevelopment in the 90s? That looked like foolish $$ then but has really turned in the last 10+ yr. It's always easy to cast shade backwards….. but not always fair.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG81 said:

australopithecus robustus said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

With Century Square, PopStroke, the redevelopment of Hensel Park, and all of the mid rises and planned mid-rises, how much longer do we think the Hurricane Harry's center and that large parking lot will last?


The Culpeppers are wisely waiting until Century Square infills more so they are not competing for the same users. That's a Legacy property for them that they've had forever. Prudent developers.


Interestingly, it's the Culpeppers that caused most of the growth to move to College Station. In the 1970's Bryan had about 40,000 residents and College Station about 17,000. College Station ended at 2818. The Culpeppers owned Manor East Mall (where the Tejas Center is), the only Mall in town. In the late 70's the DeBartolo family (owners of the SF 49ers at the time) was building malls across the country and wanted wanted to build one at Briarcrest and the bypass. Being only a few miles down the road from Manor East Mall, the Culpeppers objected and the city declined to offer tax abatements. The DeBartilos went down the road to the College Station City Council which gladly granted the tax abatements. The mall was built and the massive growth in College Station followed. In the intervening years Bryan population grew from 40,000 to just over 86,000. By contrast in the same period College Station grew from 17,000 to just over 120,000.
The mall wasn't built by DeBartolo, though, it was built by CBL. I'm not surprised if that was changed fairly early on along with the other changes--there were plans to put Joske's, not Foley's, in the flagship corner, and space for a seventh anchor between JCPenney and Bealls.

Still, the mall was a symptom of College Station's growth, not a reason for it. By the early 1970s you already had massive new residential growth (Southwood Valley was platted out, with rooftops going all the way to Rock Prairie Road).

The 7th anchor, I imagine, was to have Montgomery Ward, which Manor East still held onto the very end (well, a year before the chain failed).
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AG81 said:

australopithecus robustus said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

With Century Square, PopStroke, the redevelopment of Hensel Park, and all of the mid rises and planned mid-rises, how much longer do we think the Hurricane Harry's center and that large parking lot will last?


The Culpeppers are wisely waiting until Century Square infills more so they are not competing for the same users. That's a Legacy property for them that they've had forever. Prudent developers.


Interestingly, it's the Culpeppers that caused most of the growth to move to College Station. In the 1970's Bryan had about 40,000 residents and College Station about 17,000. College Station ended at 2818. The Culpeppers owned Manor East Mall (where the Tejas Center is), the only Mall in town. In the late 70's the DeBartolo family (owners of the SF 49ers at the time) was building malls across the country and wanted wanted to build one at Briarcrest and the bypass. Being only a few miles down the road from Manor East Mall, the Culpeppers objected and the city declined to offer tax abatements. The DeBartilos went down the road to the College Station City Council which gladly granted the tax abatements. The mall was built and the massive growth in College Station followed. In the intervening years Bryan population grew from 40,000 to just over 86,000. By contrast in the same period College Station grew from 17,000 to just over 120,000.
Don't forget the Census started counting students which accounts for some of that population jump.
AG81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

AG81 said:

australopithecus robustus said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

With Century Square, PopStroke, the redevelopment of Hensel Park, and all of the mid rises and planned mid-rises, how much longer do we think the Hurricane Harry's center and that large parking lot will last?


The Culpeppers are wisely waiting until Century Square infills more so they are not competing for the same users. That's a Legacy property for them that they've had forever. Prudent developers.


Interestingly, it's the Culpeppers that caused most of the growth to move to College Station. In the 1970's Bryan had about 40,000 residents and College Station about 17,000. College Station ended at 2818. The Culpeppers owned Manor East Mall (where the Tejas Center is), the only Mall in town. In the late 70's the DeBartolo family (owners of the SF 49ers at the time) was building malls across the country and wanted wanted to build one at Briarcrest and the bypass. Being only a few miles down the road from Manor East Mall, the Culpeppers objected and the city declined to offer tax abatements. The DeBartilos went down the road to the College Station City Council which gladly granted the tax abatements. The mall was built and the massive growth in College Station followed. In the intervening years Bryan population grew from 40,000 to just over 86,000. By contrast in the same period College Station grew from 17,000 to just over 120,000.
Don't forget the Census started counting students which accounts for some of that population jump.
The census only counts students living in University owned housing. That number is only 10,000 now. While it accounts for "some", it's not much.
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chef Cao's signage is up at the building down the hill now, and also the Tropical Smoothie Cafe place.
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Chef Cao's signage is up at the building down the hill now, and also the Tropical Smoothie Cafe place.

Have never been impressed with either place.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EBrazosAg said:

A little revisionist- or maybe just early completion history there. Why would the mall drive all the development delta in CS vs B? What % would a prudent person assign to yr 1,5,10,15,20? I'm sure it would be changing. CS was primed to grow either way due to demographic factors. If it wasn't the mall, it would have been something else. What aspect of the initial issue would be assigned to the original Bryan sellers (Harrison if I understand correctly) vs Culpepper? Also - as we move into the next 2-3 decades how does it all work out for both cities ? Mall redevelopment? Non-mall big box retail? Lots left to be decided. I'm not saying your take on what happened is incorrect. Just saying the song is still being sung and not in its last verse. If the mall was in B, would the BCC have committed to downtown redevelopment in the 90s? That looked like foolish $$ then but has really turned in the last 10+ yr. It's always easy to cast shade backwards….. but not always fair.
I must agree, it was not just post oak that spurred development. As the University grows so does College Station, Bryan follows at a distance. The downtown Bryan has been a good thing, but at the end of the day many people will return to their homes in College Station.
Cyp0111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Schools are a driver
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Drury Hotel Info from TDLR

Quote:

Project Name:Drury Plaza Hotel
Project Number:TABS2023017943
Facility Name:Drury Plaza Hotel
Location Address:701 University Dr. East College Station, TX 77840
Location County:Brazos
Start Date:6/1/2023
Completion Date:9/30/2024
Estimated Cost:$19,880,000
Type of Work:New Construction
Type of Funds:This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work:New Hotel Build
Square Footage:101,591 ft
TyHolden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Drury Hotel Info from TDLR

Quote:

Project Name:Drury Plaza Hotel
Project Number:TABS2023017943
Facility Name:Drury Plaza Hotel
Location Address:701 University Dr. East College Station, TX 77840
Location County:Brazos
Start Date:6/1/2023
Completion Date:9/30/2024
Estimated Cost:$19,880,000
Type of Work:New Construction
Type of Funds:This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work:New Hotel Build
Square Footage:101,591 ft

Is that next to the Republic?
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like some dirt work happening at the planned McDonalds location at Holleman and Wellborn today.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.